Working Phantos in SMBX?

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
iForgot
Goomba
Goomba
Flair: Lava Lotus
Chat Username: Elissa

Working Phantos in SMBX?

Postby iForgot » Wed May 15, 2019 1:20 pm

So recently I downloaded this level used for a level contest a while back. Looked pretty fun, as it was Super Mario Bros 2 themed so it brought back a lot of fun memories. Anyways, further in the level, you come to a spot where there are three phantos above you and a platform with a key below them. If you don't know what a phanto is, click on this link:
https://www.mariowiki.com/phanto
When I grabbed the key, one of them started moving like the ones on the real game, followed me and chased me, was able to go through blocks, and deal damage. I am very sure that it was not a re-textured flying Koopa as you could not kill it.

Tried to recreate what I saw with the movements in the Events layer and whatnot, but absolutely nothing. Is there some sort of checkbox that I have to mark to activate it or how was the level creator able to mimic the flying with minimal event movements?

If this is already a discussion I apologize, but it's been bugging me for a while now and I haven't found any related topics.

TheNewGuy
Ninji
Ninji
Chat Username: TNG

Re: Working Phantos in SMBX?

Postby TheNewGuy » Wed May 15, 2019 3:31 pm

I don't think it's a vanilla feature. it probably uses lua (coding). Did you try looking at it from the editor?
I believe in my signature as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature.

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Wed May 15, 2019 3:36 pm

Can you specify further from which contest it was (I mean, why not say which level it is) and whether it required SMBX2?

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

iForgot
Goomba
Goomba

Postby iForgot » Wed May 15, 2019 4:29 pm

Yes, I looked at it from the editor. Had 2 events and each with its own layer. No movements, nothing. Played it in SMBX 1.3. Unsure of which level contest it was. However, the level was called something along the lines of "Subcon Desert."

Hoeloe
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Postby Hoeloe » Wed May 15, 2019 5:00 pm

Could have been a retextured friendly homing Koopa with a retextured harming (but static) block or NPC attached to it.

Besides, there are far better ways to do this now. I'm pretty sure Phantos will be standard in the next build of SMBX.

iForgot
Goomba
Goomba

Postby iForgot » Wed May 15, 2019 5:27 pm

That is quite possible, might have to look into that. However, it never once ran towards me constantly like homing koopas do, almost had the same behavior as the Angry Sun from Super Mario Brothers 3. Not at my computer currently but will check ASAP.

Added in 26 minutes 10 seconds:
Found the level.

Subcon Snake Desert, created for SMB2 level contest, submitted December 29th of 2013.

In the level textures, there is a phanto mask retexturing npc-46. Unsure whether or not this is a flying Koopa as I do not have the game files currently with me.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Wed May 15, 2019 6:21 pm

NPC 46 is the red donut block, which suggests that the NPC was manipulated through npc codes to be an intangible npc that just hurts you, which will then be solely moved through layers and events OR!!!!! an attach to layer combo.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Help and Support”