decoder error?

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
jakoS
Goomba
Goomba

decoder error?

Postby jakoS » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:14 pm

Has anyone encountered this problem? I'm not very good at the technical side of the editor and I got this dialogue box. Now when I try to test the backgrounds do not load and some floating npc no longer float. There are probably other problems I just haven't found them yet.
Id appreciate a little help. Thanks!:)

Hoeloe
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Pronouns: she/her

Re: decoder error?

Postby Hoeloe » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:31 am

Go to your episode folder and find a file named "progress.json". Delete that file, it's been corrupted somehow.

jakoS
Goomba
Goomba

Postby jakoS » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:03 am

I’m sorry. That didn’t fix the problem.

Hoeloe
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Hoeloe » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:43 pm

There might also be one in your "data" folder. Delete that too, if there is.

stillhavenogoodname
Goomba
Goomba
Flair: likes eevee

Postby stillhavenogoodname » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:33 pm

I have the same issue, except it appeared out of nowhere (the levels worked just fine before the issue appeared) and the errors keeps coming back after deleting progress.json and playing levels in my affected episode twice. SMBX2 even throws out the errors when the file only contains "{}". Other episodes are working fine, even with the same progress.json content. Is there a more permanent solution to this?
hello i am new how do i smbx
also i am working on a custom smbx2 beta4 episode i hope it will turn out great

Hoeloe
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Hoeloe » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:33 pm

No, simply because this error literally only occurs because of a corrupt progress.json file. That "parse error" it mentions is loading the progress.json file. From within progress.lua, all it's doing is loading that file and then trying to decode it.

Now, the real question is more "how did the file get corrupted?", and that's something I don't have an obvious answer to. You said certain episodes are causing this, but which? Does the episode utilise achievements or a custom launcher page? If so, how are those set up?

Progress.json only exists to track achievements and custom progress for the launcher. The error pictured in the screenshot is trying to parse that file. I know for a fact this does not happen with an empty progress.json, so that suggests to me that you're not looking at the right progress.json. There will be one for your episode and one in the main game itself - though that one should be empty at all times and can be safely deleted.

Return to “Help and Support”