Completely new to 2.0, any pointers?

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
The Handwoven Box
Swooper
Swooper

Completely new to 2.0, any pointers?

Postby The Handwoven Box » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:14 pm

Hello, I've been out of the swing with SMBX for a long time, last time I used the program was before 2.0 was a thing at all. I'm sure I can get used to the Editor by myself, but what I would like to know is how custom content works now? All I remember was throwing things in the same folder as the level with the same name as what you were replacing.

Is there a way to install custom content in every single level of an episode without putting a copy in each folder? Also, do you still have to replace existing content for custom content? From what I've seen there are a lot more options with what can be done, and I am completely new to all of it, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

CJ_RLushi
Tweeter
Tweeter
Flair: Intention is what matters
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Completely new to 2.0, any pointers?

Postby CJ_RLushi » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:40 pm

Custom assets still work the same way for backwards compatibility, though there's a lot of new options

For episode-wide content you can put the assets in the episode folder
There's dummy assets now that you can replace with your own, though you can still replace existing stuff, and people still do it because its easier (you don't have to create txt files with properties, ini files for the editor, you don't have to create editor tilesets)
You can now create tilesets in the editor in the custom tab, so yo can organize all of the stuff you're gonna use in the way you want
You can now create txt files for more things than NPCs, so blocks, bgos, effects, and more, are now a lot more customizable
There's scripting, you can have scripts for some assets like npcs and blocks, and of course for levels and the episode. I wouldn't recommend adding scripts to already existing npcs (more specifically, the 1.3 ones) unless you know what you're doing.
My episode lol:

The Handwoven Box
Swooper
Swooper

Postby The Handwoven Box » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:05 pm

CJ_RLushi wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:40 pm
Custom assets still work the same way for backwards compatibility, though there's a lot of new options

For episode-wide content you can put the assets in the episode folder
There's dummy assets now that you can replace with your own, though you can still replace existing stuff, and people still do it because its easier (you don't have to create txt files with properties, ini files for the editor, you don't have to create editor tilesets)
You can now create tilesets in the editor in the custom tab, so yo can organize all of the stuff you're gonna use in the way you want
You can now create txt files for more things than NPCs, so blocks, bgos, effects, and more, are now a lot more customizable
There's scripting, you can have scripts for some assets like npcs and blocks, and of course for levels and the episode. I wouldn't recommend adding scripts to already existing npcs (more specifically, the 1.3 ones) unless you know what you're doing.
Thanks! I'm assuming you install these lua plugins the same way as any other content?

Also, are there any video tutorial playlists or essentials you can recommend? I learn better from videos, and that's how I learned what I knew for 1.3.

Hoeloe
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Hoeloe » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:30 pm

I will note one big difference between SMBX2 and 1.3 in terms of custom graphics is that everything uses transparent .png files now, rather than two files for an image and its transparency mask. This just makes everything a lot easier to deal with.

There's a quick tutorial video made by Enjl that should help you find your way around the editor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBly6qwokdY

Other than that, there's not a great deal in the way of video tutorials, so you may just have to experiment or make do with written tutorials.

The Handwoven Box
Swooper
Swooper

Postby The Handwoven Box » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:41 pm

Hoeloe wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:30 pm
I will note one big difference between SMBX2 and 1.3 in terms of custom graphics is that everything uses transparent .png files now, rather than two files for an image and its transparency mask. This just makes everything a lot easier to deal with.

There's a quick tutorial video made by Enjl that should help you find your way around the editor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBly6qwokdY

Other than that, there's not a great deal in the way of video tutorials, so you may just have to experiment or make do with written tutorials.
Thank goodness, I remember needing the mask being really annoying, also causing folder clutter, though I am confused on one thing, I can run the actual game just fine, but the editor never launches for me, it just closes the launcher and then nothing happens.

Return to “Help and Support”