Why is there no 4 player or 3 player mode in smbx

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
DarkSpyro420
Goomba
Goomba
Pronouns: he

Why is there no 4 player or 3 player mode in smbx

Postby DarkSpyro420 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:05 am

I don't know why there is no 3 or 4 player mode but I'm pretty sure people nowadays use a gamepad not a keyboard to play smbx plus I can see it being possible to play 3 or 4 players without split screen using lan or online options, 2 players split screen on the same pc is fine and understandable, I Just wish there were a lan or an online option to play with more people up to 4 players.

deice
Bit
Bit

Re: Why is there no 4 player or 3 player mode in smbx

Postby deice » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:31 pm

smbx2 doesn't have an option for more than two players because it uses the original smbx exe file as a base, which never had more than two players coop to begin with. theoretically, projects which rebuild the engine from the ground-up like xtech or smbx-38a could add these features sometime in the future, though i doubt it's on either's roadmap with additional editor features and bugfixes probably being much more important.

as for netplay, smbx 1.3 did support a very archaic form of lan netplay via mswinsck but it was quite messily implemented (if i recall correctly) and is not enabled by default in smbx2.

DarkSpyro420
Goomba
Goomba
Pronouns: he

Postby DarkSpyro420 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:53 pm

Ok, Well that is a little letdown, I hope that it will be added soon, thanks for the clear-up, happy thanksgiving.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: semi-retired user, only interested in post ranks
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:09 pm

I honestly even doubt it's worth the effort, since it's not a console game and even 2 player is barely used
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

0lhi
Koopa
Koopa
Flair: ⚙️TheXTech User

Postby 0lhi » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:44 pm

DarkSpyro420 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:05 am
I Just wish there were a lan or an online option to play with more people up to 4 players.
Netplay is a planned feature for TheXTech. There is a GitHub Discussion on the repos:

https://github.com/Wohlstand/TheXTech/discussions/134

Feel free to join and share your wishes/ideas!

Return to “Help and Support”