I want to make an episode. How do I start?

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Walleo64
Koopa
Koopa

I want to make an episode. How do I start?

Postby Walleo64 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:49 pm

I've had SMBX for a pretty long time now and I've definitely tried making episodes many times but I never get far, so I'm going to ask a question that I feel should be obvious: where do I start? Should I make an outline? Should I have a story, an ultimate goal, or something like that? Or should I just make some levels and try to fit them together somehow? I want to start working on another episode, but this time I want to do it right and make something I can actually finish.

Marioman2007
Ripper II
Ripper II
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: I want to make an episode. How do I start?

Postby Marioman2007 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:23 am

Walleo64 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:49 pm
I've had SMBX for a pretty long time now and I've definitely tried making episodes many times but I never get far, so I'm going to ask a question that I feel should be obvious: where do I start? Should I make an outline? Should I have a story, an ultimate goal, or something like that? Or should I just make some levels and try to fit them together somehow? I want to start working on another episode, but this time I want to do it right and make something I can actually finish.
I suggest trying to make a level then a few more and then pack them up as a minisode
It's not necessary that there should be many themes, grass, ice, lava, factory, forest, water, sky, blah, blah
do the work that you feel like doing
if you get stuck then rest for a while, don't force yourself

kirbyhasn
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: i like tetris
Pronouns: kirbyhasn

Postby kirbyhasn » Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:47 pm

Walleo64 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:49 pm
i made episode before but canceled for being unoriginal i thank should think what type your episode is like:
story one like invaison and princess chilce
hub world based like new great castle adventure
metroidvaina like collceting item like star to unlock something
dont rush choose what you want or use your imagenation
hope this helps.

Abashi76
Koopa
Koopa
Pronouns: they/them

Postby Abashi76 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:41 pm

I would like to know this too. The first thing I do is always make a practice level. I have never finished any big projects for any game. :idea:

Eric
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Expectations are the seed for disappointment.
Pronouns: they/them

Postby Eric » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:09 pm

I think it would be best to come up with some sort of idea for the project (for example, special gimmicks).
Then, I recommend making the first and the last few levels so you have an episode that can be played from start to finish.

I do not recommend making a list of planned levels as that can easily result in burn-outs.

Generally, I would recommend starting out with a few standalone levels, though. That may help you to improve at designing levels for your project through the feedback you receive for that. Discord may also be a good place to show off unfinished things as the platform is much better for communication and generally more active than the forums as of now.

Return to “Help and Support”