Boo Wheel

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
BabyWeegee
Rex
Rex

Boo Wheel

Postby BabyWeegee » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:44 pm

Does anyone know if there's a way to make the Boo Wheel from the ghost house levels in Super Mario World? The next level in my project is a ghost house, and I thought that would be an interesting touch if possible.
"I ain't afraid of nothing... except Rottweilers... and expired mayonnaise."

bossedit8
Banned
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Re: Boo Wheel

Postby bossedit8 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:48 pm

Check this topic: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... f=36&t=413

There's one ghost house level that has that kind of gimmick in it. You can replicate it.

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:13 pm

It's pretty advanced stuff really, I managed to get one working on a level of mine. Here's how I did it:
You need to use parts of a Firebar, all set to the same position, and then put each separate part of the Firebar on its own layer. These Firebars are, of course, the Boos, and I'll refer to them as Boos for the rest of this tutorial. For example, the first one can be called "Boo 1", the second one "Boo 2" and so on. You place them all in the same spot. On the first Boo, make an event that shows it, and then after that make successive events that show the other Boos, all set on a time delay one after the other. On the first Boo event, set it to "Activate", and then hide the Boo. Now when Mario approaches, if you did this right, a circling Boo will appear, and then the rest will appear after it, spinning in the same circle as the other Boos.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

SpectralProjection
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby SpectralProjection » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:47 pm

Does this last method involve changing the fireball sprite to a boo sprite? I figured the boo wheel wouldn't be possible without hours of tweaking or luna.
I had a dream where I was asleep...
And then I flew away...

h2643
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: Украинец
Current Project: RL
Chat Username: h/hnumbers

Postby h2643 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:03 pm

SpectralProjection wrote:Does this last method involve changing the fireball sprite to a boo sprite? I figured the boo wheel wouldn't be possible without hours of tweaking or luna.
Or moving layers, that's how Valtteri made them work in his SMB3 Ghost House level.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:06 pm

You could do it with LunaLua and some simple geometry (moving an object drawn through lua with a collider attached to it on the edge of a circle, and then having multiple of those, spaced out evenly (you can even make LunaLua calculate that part)).

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg

Postby HeroLinik » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:23 am

SpectralProjection wrote:Does this last method involve changing the fireball sprite to a boo sprite? I figured the boo wheel wouldn't be possible without hours of tweaking or luna.
Essentially, yeah. Replace the Firebar with the Boo sprite.
Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

h2643
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby h2643 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:42 am

Linik wrote:
That won't work, because you can use only one Boo. With LunaLua, or Valtteri's method, you can recreate the wheel fully. LunaLua would be of course a better (and easier) solution.

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg

Postby HeroLinik » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:29 pm

h2643 wrote:
Linik wrote:
That won't work, because you can use only one Boo. With LunaLua, or Valtteri's method, you can recreate the wheel fully. LunaLua would be of course a better (and easier) solution.
I set several Boos in the same spot, and hid each one (they're all on their own layer) and made it so one Boo appears at first, and then the rest appear from the same spot soon after. As soon as all the Boos have appeared, the result is a Boo wheel.

litchh
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby litchh » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:33 pm

Linik wrote:I set several Boos in the same spot, and hid each one (they're all on their own layer) and made it so one Boo appears at first, and then the rest appear from the same spot soon after. As soon as all the Boos have appeared, the result is a Boo wheel.
Boos placed by this method move with firebar's speed only. So, if you need another speed, then you have to do it in a different way.

h2643
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby h2643 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:53 pm

litchh wrote:
Linik wrote:I set several Boos in the same spot, and hid each one (they're all on their own layer) and made it so one Boo appears at first, and then the rest appear from the same spot soon after. As soon as all the Boos have appeared, the result is a Boo wheel.
Boos placed by this method move with firebar's speed only. So, if you need another speed, then you have to do it in a different way.
...and that's why it's recomended to use LunaLua.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:56 pm

Linik wrote:
h2643 wrote: That won't work, because you can use only one Boo. With LunaLua, or Valtteri's method, you can recreate the wheel fully. LunaLua would be of course a better (and easier) solution.
I set several Boos in the same spot, and hid each one (they're all on their own layer) and made it so one Boo appears at first, and then the rest appear from the same spot soon after. As soon as all the Boos have appeared, the result is a Boo wheel.
He means boo sprites.

Return to “Help and Support”