Need Help! Can't View .lvl/.wld files on file explorer!

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
BukkitmanPlaysMC
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Need Help! Can't View .lvl/.wld files on file explorer!

Postby BukkitmanPlaysMC » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:53 pm

i need help viewing my .lvl and .wld files on my computer because i can see them in the level editor but not on file explorer.

:evil: WHAT DO I DO!!! :evil:
pls comment :(
Last edited by BukkitmanPlaysMC on Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: local guy

Re: Can't View .lvl/.wld files on file explorer

Postby RudeGuy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:00 pm

Put your SMBX folder out from programs and put it in places like desktop.
im bored

BukkitmanPlaysMC
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Re: Can't View .lvl/.wld files on file explorer

Postby BukkitmanPlaysMC » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:14 pm

RudeGuy07 wrote:Put your SMBX folder out from programs and put it in places like desktop.
that is not what i mean. what i mean is that if i were to make a .lvl file, it won't appear in my episode folder while ones that i already have are already there

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: local guy

Re: Need Help! Can't View .lvl/.wld files on file explorer!

Postby RudeGuy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:01 am

And I just gave you the solution of your problem. What about trying it now?
im bored

Exiled Bowser
Bit
Bit

Postby Exiled Bowser » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:57 am

He means making one from scratch? You have to save something in SMBX and SMBX only as a .lvl/.wrd file, the evidence of this only working this way is that Crap Cleaner or C-Cleaner always says it a dead file extension and cleans it up in registry because of this-- even though SMBX adds it back in the registry when the file type is being used by it. Windows will never know what to do with these file types as they do not exist natively in windows and thus ask for what it opens with if you try to open it without using SMBx in its folders in your explorer. These are what are called "program specific" file types.
[01:17:53] <Exiled_Bowser> Finally! I do not get a damn "2" added to my name when I dc and reconnect.
[01:19:18] <Exiled_Bowser> Bowser's Exile 2 will not be out or will ever be out for years! That is a Joke folks...I have no intention of making a second when I haven't even done the first to completion yet.

Speaking of which, just check out the thread for my Episode Project right here!
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =34&t=8440

BukkitmanPlaysMC
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby BukkitmanPlaysMC » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:59 pm

Exiled Bowser wrote:He means making one from scratch? You have to save something in SMBX and SMBX only as a .lvl/.wrd file, the evidence of this only working this way is that Crap Cleaner or C-Cleaner always says it a dead file extension and cleans it up in registry because of this-- even though SMBX adds it back in the registry when the file type is being used by it. Windows will never know what to do with these file types as they do not exist natively in windows and thus ask for what it opens with if you try to open it without using SMBx in its folders in your explorer. These are what are called "program specific" file types.
So what you mean is? :| Beacause I'm on a Surface 3

Exiled Bowser
Bit
Bit

Postby Exiled Bowser » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:57 pm

What I mean is that the file extension .lvl/.wrd is only readable by the game itself not anywhere else in the computer. Just making a file blahblah.lvl or yackyack.wld and putting it there will do nothing. SMBX formats the level or world file when you save it as such in the game itself. This cannot be done externally.

And cleaning programs support this fact as it will show its not a real file type and removes its file association out of your computer and registry, even though only SMBX recognizes them as a real file-type for itself and puts it back in whenever you save a level or world. If you don't have anything like that in your PC/tablet/hybrid, you would never notice this going on. but for the sake of explaining how program exclusive file types work, I explained this.

I can get into the semantics of file fragmentation and junk left over after uninstalling stuff further, yet its beyond the point I'm trying to make and help you with your issue.

A Surface 3 is a Windows Machine. SMBX wouldn't work on a non-windows machine.

However, if you have PGE:
Spoiler: show
You can make a empty null .lvl or.wld file and it will work in PGE/SMBX and you can edit it, but only in this way.
[01:17:53] <Exiled_Bowser> Finally! I do not get a damn "2" added to my name when I dc and reconnect.
[01:19:18] <Exiled_Bowser> Bowser's Exile 2 will not be out or will ever be out for years! That is a Joke folks...I have no intention of making a second when I haven't even done the first to completion yet.

Speaking of which, just check out the thread for my Episode Project right here!
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =34&t=8440

BukkitmanPlaysMC
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby BukkitmanPlaysMC » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:07 pm

Exiled Bowser wrote:What I mean is that the file extension .lvl/.wrd is only readable by the game itself not anywhere else in the computer. Just making a file blahblah.lvl or yackyack.wld and putting it there will do nothing. SMBX formats the level or world file when you save it as such in the game itself. This cannot be done externally.

And cleaning programs support this fact as it will show its not a real file type and removes its file association out of your computer and registry, even though only SMBX recognizes them as a real file-type for itself and puts it back in whenever you save a level or world. If you don't have anything like that in your PC/tablet/hybrid, you would never notice this going on. but for the sake of explaining how program exclusive file types work, I explained this.

I can get into the semantics of file fragmentation and junk left over after uninstalling stuff further, yet its beyond the point I'm trying to make and help you with your issue.

A Surface 3 is a Windows Machine. SMBX wouldn't work on a non-windows machine.

However, if you have PGE:
Spoiler: show
You can make a empty null .lvl or.wld file and it will work in PGE/SMBX and you can edit it, but only in this way.
thx :D but do you know how if it is possible to move the file out of the area?

Return to “Help and Support”