FAQ Thread--New Users Check This Out!

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
PixelPest
Edward
Edward
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

FAQ Thread--New Users Check This Out!

Postby PixelPest » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:27 pm

Although I removed "(WIP)" from the title as of Nov. 5, I will still be working to improve and add questions to this thread. By now it has been edited enough that I feel the answers are reliable. Thanks to everyone who helped with the process.

This topic provides many links to helpful pages and answers to common questions that seem to often be asked by new users.
If you are looking for answers of your own, don't post here! Create your own topic in the Help and Support sub-forum.

SMBX Forums:
Spoiler: show
Q: How do I change my username?
A: PM an admin with your request.

Q: Can I request graphics?
A: No. We no longer do graphic requests.

Q: What's a forum game and can I make one?
A: No. A forum game is a semi-useless topic that does not promote discussion between users. Often ends with "What would you do?" or "How would you act?", etc.

Q: What's an episode?
A: An episode is a completed game/project. (If New Super Mario Bros Wii was in SMBX it would be an episode.) To look at episodes go here.

Q: What's a project?
A: A project is an unfinished game/episode. To look at projects go here.

Q: How do I post screenshots?
A: Upload an image to an image hosting site like Imgur or Photobucket. Copy the link to the photo (the direct link--click in View Image) and paste it between two image tags:

Q: How do I post download links?
A: Upload a file to a file hosting site like Mediafire or Dropbox (I like to use Mediafire). Copy the link and paste it between two url tags:
The SMBX Editor:
Q: Why is there no starman?
A: Redigit couldn't figure out how to make flashing colours with VB6. The Starman feature can however be accomplished with LunaLua.

Q: How do I add more blocks, BGOs, NPCs, etc. to my level?
A:
You can't physically add more, however you can customize them using custom graphics and for NPCs you can additionally use NPC codes (.txt files) or LunaLua for more features and options.

Q: How do I add wind physics in my levels?
A: You don't. You'll need LunaLua to do that.

Q: How do I set a timer?
A: You don't. You'll also need LunaLua to do that.

Q: What do layers and events do?
A: This topic explains it better than I could: Official Guide to Layers and Events in SMBX

Q: How do I take screenshots?
A: Create a folder in your SMBX folder (that's the one with the worlds folder, graphics folder, etc.) and name it "screenshots". Then
press F12 while in the level editor. Note: Make sure the level window is not set to fullscreen or the screenshot will be distorted.

Q: How do I increase the number of frames for a custom NPC?
A: Create a text document named after the NPC (if the NPC is called npc-1, name the text document npc-1). Then type frames=# of frames.
Example: If you have 4 frames:
frames=4
For more NPC codes check here.

Q: How do make mushrooms stay still when they come out of ?-blocks?
A: Create a text document named after the NPC (if the NPC is called npc-1, name the text document npc-1). Then type speed=0.

Q: How do I increase the size of a custom NPC?
A: Create a text document named after the NPC (if the NPC is called npc-1, name the text document npc-1). Then type width=# of pixels long and height=# of pixels tall.
Example: If my NPC was 64x64, I would type:
height=64
width=64

For more NPC codes check here.

Q: How do you change the size or number of frames of a block/BGO/effect/background/etc.?

A: You don't.

Q: How do I use custom graphics?
A: This topic explains it well.

Q: Where do I get custom graphics?
A: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... m.php?f=31

Q: What does reset game do in the editor?
A:
Reset game (F8), well, resets the game. Mostly it just causes stars, checkpoints, etc. to be no longer collected.
SMBX Gameplay:
Q: How do I use cheat codes?
A: Just type whichever code you want to use. You don't actually need to type it in a box or anything, just type it during normal gameplay. You can find a list of all of the cheat codes here.
Warnings for using cheat codes:
1. Cheating doesn't come without a cost. After using a cheat, you will no longer be allowed to save your progress within the episode you were playing until you quit and re-enter the episode. (You will have lost the progress from since you last saved upon quitting and re-entering.) You can use cheats while playing single levels in the editor, and it will have no effect on saving, etc.
2. When a cheat is typed in, the playable character (Mario, Peach, etc.) will still respond to those commands. If you were to type, "needaflower", you would also spin jump when you hit the a.

How do I delete saves? / How do I reset the file I'm playing on?
A:
Go into your main SMBX folder (that's the one with the folders-- "graphics", "worlds", etc.) and then go into the episode within the worlds folder you want to delete a save file from. Save files appear to be normal text files, except they have the file extension .sav. There are three saves in an episode (1, 2, and 3), so delete the .sav file that's letter matches the save's number in-game.
SMBX Engines and Useful Software:
Q: Will SMBX 1.4 ever be released?
A: No. Redigit abandonned this project and will not likely return to it. Since no one has the source code to the program, no one can edit it. This means that there will never be an update for the SMBX engine. However, there are many extensions and other engines that can be used to add additional features and fix the glitches of the original engine.

Q: What is LunaDLL/Lua?
A: LunaLua (LunaDLL is an older version) is an extension module that can be used to stretch SMBX to its limits. It uses "JavaScript + Visual Basic"-like coding. You can find out more about it and download it from here.

Q: What is PGE?
A: The Platformer Game Engine is one of a handful of engines that can be used with SMBX. Created by user Wohlstand, this editor supports LunaLua, has a world map testing option, and addresses/fixes many errors that the original engine has. You can find out more about it and download it from here.

Q: What program should I use to make my own graphics?

A: I personally prefer Paint.NET, which is probably the most user friendly and useful for pixelwork/spriting. You can safely download it at http://www.getpaint.net/index.html.
SMBX (Runtime) Errors:
Q: I'm getting a message that says, "Runtime Error 11 - Division by 0" and then SMBX crashes. What's going on?
A: This Runtime Error is most often caused by entering a pipe via a warp, when the pipe contains a Venus Fire Trap. This can be fixed by either moving/removing the warp, removing the Venus Fire Trap, or offsetting the Venus Fire Trap at least 2 pixels either to the left or to the right.

Q: I'm getting a message that says, "Runtime Error 13 - Type Mismatch" and then SMBX crashes. What's going on now?
A: This Runtime Error often occurs when one or multiple NPC text files contain illegible values by your computer. This mostly consists of adding a letter or decimal number, on some computers, after an equals sign.
Examples:
frames=4s
speed=2.5
framespeed=3,2

Q: I'm getting a message that says, "Runtime Error 340 - Control array element "X" does not exist" and then SMBX crashes. Why are all these things happening to me?
A:
This almost world famous Runtime Error often occurs while trying to save a world map, when there are custom graphics being used for "scenes" (scenery objects) numbered 33 or higher.This can easily be fixed by moving all custom graphics from scene-33 and higher to a temporary folder far away from the .wld (world) file until you are finished making the world map. Only when you are completely finished, return these graphics to their proper place alongside the .wld file. They will work when playing in an episode but if you open up your map in the world editor again with them added and try to save SMBX will crash again and again.
Last edited by PixelPest on Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 35 times in total.

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Current Project: Lowser's Conquest

Re: FAQ Thread--New Users Check This Out! (WIP)

Postby Sednaiur » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:20 pm

This is quite a cool idea, as it finally will answer many commonly asked questions, so it lessens the new posts of repetetive asked questions.

You need to fix the URLs in the questions: "What is a project?" and "How do I increase the number of frames for a custom NPC?", but other than that, it seems to be very good done. :-)

愛している、ビアンカ!

Want to use new blocks, tiles, BGOS etc. in SMBX? Learn more here:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 03#p223111

My expanded GFX-packs:
Expanded SMB1 GFX-pack(3.0):http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 717#p63717
Expanded SMB2 GFX-pack(7.0):http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9445#p9445
Expanded SMB3 GFX-pack(2.0):http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =31&t=6578
Expanded SMW GFX-pack(1.0): http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 31&t=12834

My little project ^^:

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:44 pm

I'm sure sprites of Wind exist, so having him in a level is about as possible as having Marina in a level: Very.

Thing is, new people often overlook the sticky threads in this forum which all already explain the stuff you list here. I doubt people will pay more attention to this than to the others.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Muh favourite quotes:
TheKingOfBoos: enji I'm only scared of you cuz you're always right, and that's creepy
SnoruntPyro: if you don't like kirby you have no life
ToonQuill: do you have any hentai girl sfx
Pichu: "And Jesus said unto his apostles, 'ew so much clash 0/10'."
MNIE52: ohoho master king sitting in his golden chair! Dude, you think you're president? i will not leave, if i want - i'll leave.
MNIE52: i will not kill you, why you so rude. are you have nothing to do, boy?
Sanct: oh my god i made the perfect amount of stairs i am jesus christ.

PixelPest
Edward
Edward

Postby PixelPest » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:28 pm

Sednaiur wrote:This is quite a cool idea, as it finally will answer many commonly asked questions, so it lessens the new posts of repetetive asked questions.

You need to fix the URLs in the questions: "What is a project?" and "How do I increase the number of frames for a custom NPC?", but other than that, it seems to be very good done. :-)
Thanks. Glad you approve of the idea. URLs are fixed.
Enjl wrote:I'm sure sprites of Wind exist, so having him in a level is about as possible as having Marina in a level: Very.
No idea what you're referring to.
Enjl wrote:Thing is, new people often overlook the sticky threads in this forum which all already explain the stuff you list here. I doubt people will pay more attention to this than to the others.
Knew I'd get that response. It's always worth a shot though. Some people like me read through a handful of important looking sticky threads when I joined.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:30 pm

PixelPest wrote:
Enjl wrote:I'm sure sprites of Wind exist, so having him in a level is about as possible as having Marina in a level: Very.
Wind.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Muh favourite quotes:
TheKingOfBoos: enji I'm only scared of you cuz you're always right, and that's creepy
SnoruntPyro: if you don't like kirby you have no life
ToonQuill: do you have any hentai girl sfx
Pichu: "And Jesus said unto his apostles, 'ew so much clash 0/10'."
MNIE52: ohoho master king sitting in his golden chair! Dude, you think you're president? i will not leave, if i want - i'll leave.
MNIE52: i will not kill you, why you so rude. are you have nothing to do, boy?
Sanct: oh my god i made the perfect amount of stairs i am jesus christ.

PixelPest
Edward
Edward

Postby PixelPest » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Enjl wrote:
PixelPest wrote:
Wind.
Oh. I mean...
...Different kind of wind. Updated the post with wind physics.

HenryRichard
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby HenryRichard » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:12 pm

The code isn't length, it's width.
Other than that though this is really good and should be stickied.

I'm on Soundcloud | My graphics pack!

Jesus is my savior.

PixelPest
Edward
Edward

Postby PixelPest » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:33 am

HenryRichard wrote:The code isn't length, it's width.
Other than that though this is really good and should be stickied.
Thanks. Don't know why I did that. All fixed.

h2643
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: RL
Chat Username: h/a troll

Postby h2643 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:56 am

Enjl wrote:
PixelPest wrote:
Wind.
Don't expect every single member to know forum's "veterans", they don't have to.

Anyway yeah, I wouldn't mind if this would be stickied, as this is a really useful topic.

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:11 pm

PixelPest, what about the the reason why there is no Starman? In the original suggestion that I made, I brought up that Starman topic, and some newcomers to SMBX will be pondering on why there isn't a Starman.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

PixelPest
Edward
Edward

Postby PixelPest » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:55 pm

Linik wrote:PixelPest, what about the the reason why there is no Starman? In the original suggestion that I made, I brought up that Starman topic, and some newcomers to SMBX will be pondering on why there isn't a Starman.
I will add that ASAP. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:38 pm

PixelPest wrote: Q: Why is there no starman?
A: There are several theories but no one can really confirm why.
1. Redigit was lazy, didn't know how to make Mario flash different colours, and was too unmotivated to figure it out.
2. He didn't want people to abuse the use of it in level.
3. He would have added it in a later version but abandonned SMBX and went to work on Terraria before it was finished.

1. Redigit wasn't lazy or unmotivated.

2. Not true and a lie made up by people.

3. Nope who even came up with that.

4. You can do it by using lunalua.

h2643
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby h2643 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:42 pm

The real reason as of why he didn't add starman was simply because he couldn't figure out how to make flashing colors in VB6. He said this in IRC a few years ago, this is not just my theory.

PixelPest
Edward
Edward

Postby PixelPest » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:08 pm

Tinkerbell wrote:
PixelPest wrote: Q: Why is there no starman?
A: There are several theories but no one can really confirm why.
1. Redigit was lazy, didn't know how to make Mario flash different colours, and was too unmotivated to figure it out.
2. He didn't want people to abuse the use of it in level.
3. He would have added it in a later version but abandonned SMBX and went to work on Terraria before it was finished.

1. Redigit wasn't lazy or unmotivated.

2. Not true and a lie made up by people.

3. Nope who even came up with that.

4. You can do it by using lunalua.
Okay I'll add the fourth point in. Thanks for clarifying these things. Found this information in an older thread and had little background knowledge on this issue to decide whether or not to trust it. Thanks for sorting that out.
h2643 wrote:The real reason as of why he didn't add starman was simply because he couldn't figure out how to make flashing colors in VB6. He said this in IRC a few years ago, this is not just my theory.
Thanks you for this info. Will use it to modify that part of the thread asap.

Pseudo
Tellah
Tellah
Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:31 pm

OK, this is a really well-made topic that contains a lot of original information. I've been requested to sticky it, and it does seem sticky-worthy so I will go ahead and sticky it.
Love and Tolerance FTW!!
previously Pseudo-dino but you probably guessed that yourself

come visit my YouTube channel, where I play games (including smbx)

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account 2016

My Switch friend code: 1353 - 7698 - 1308 (add me!)

so... i'm actually a girl

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:03 am

I would also add info about runtime error 6 (Overflow), as well as the famous runtime error 340 (Control array element "X" doesn't exist). These are respectively caused by having too many blocks/BGOs/NPCs/warps in a level (give the limits as well for reference) and the use of custom world map GFX past scene-33. (did I get that right?)
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:23 am

Linik wrote:I would also add info about runtime error 6 (Overflow), as well as the famous runtime error 340 (Control array element "X" doesn't exist). These are respectively caused by having too many blocks/BGOs/NPCs/warps in a level (give the limits as well for reference)
He could make that, but I think about the bugs of SMBX, it should have a seperate thread, as the bugs are many in number and they should be categorized, in my opinion.
Linik wrote:and the use of custom world map GFX past scene-33. (did I get that right?)
No you didn't :-P It is from past scene 32! Every scene from 33 upwards crash SMBX.
I could update my "Exact limits of the worldmap editor of SMBX" to include also the limits of the level editor, aswell as the bugs of it. Shouldn't take too long.

愛している、ビアンカ!

My expanded GFX-packs:
Expanded SMB1 GFX-pack(3.0):http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 717#p63717
Expanded SMB2 GFX-pack(7.0):http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9445#p9445
Expanded SMB3 GFX-pack(2.0):http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =31&t=6578
Expanded SMW GFX-pack(1.0): http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 31&t=12834

My little project ^^:

PixelPest
Edward
Edward

Postby PixelPest » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:25 am

Sednaiur wrote:He could make that, but I think about the bugs of SMBX, it should have a seperate thread, as the bugs are many in number and they should be categorized, in my opinion.
I think I probably will add a section for runtime errors in this thread because although there are a lot of them, this thread is meant to encompass a lot of topics as part of the Help and Support Cleanup Project. The point is to include a lot of commonly wondered about information in this thread and not to inspire people to create more important threads. In all hopes there will only be 5 stickied topics left after we get them all merged and rewritten.

Also, please tell me whether or not I should spoiler each of the categories of the FAQ, or leave them open. The two arguments I'm making with myself are:
1. If spoilered, it may seem neater and will take up less space, but new users may have no real idea what category their question falls under and instead just leave the thread or get frustrated opening a bunch of spoilers.
2. If unspoilered, the thread might get really messy after a lot of questions are added, but it might be a little easier to navigate for a new user.
What's your opinion?
Edit: Please vote in the poll. Will currently set it to seven days.

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:35 am

PixelPest wrote: I think I probably will add a section for runtime errors in this thread because although there are a lot of them, this thread is meant to encompass a lot of topics as part of the Help and Support Cleanup Project. The point is to include a lot of commonly wondered about information in this thread and not to inspire people to create more important threads. In all hopes there will only be 5 stickied topics left after we get them all merged and rewritten.
I guess you are right with that. This makes way more sense than my idea. ^^
PixelPest wrote:Also, please tell me whether or not I should spoiler each of the categories of the FAQ, or leave them open. The two arguments I'm making with myself are:
1. If spoilered, it may seem neater and will take up less space, but new users may have no real idea what category their question falls under and instead just leave the thread or get frustrated opening a bunch of spoilers.
2. If unspoilered, the thread might get really messy after a lot of questions are added, but it might be a little easier to navigate for a new user.
What's your opinion?
In my opinion they should be spoilered, because unspoilered information makes it way too hard to navigate and find the searched information. When you take everything in your thread, it will probably cover way more than a thousand lines which is really too much to navigate and search without spoilers, I guess. ^^

愛している、ビアンカ!

My expanded GFX-packs:

My little project ^^:

h2643
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby h2643 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:52 am

Sednaiur wrote:
PixelPest wrote:Also, please tell me whether or not I should spoiler each of the categories of the FAQ, or leave them open
In my opinion they should be spoilered, because unspoilered information makes it way too hard to navigate and find the searched information. When you take everything in your thread, it will probably cover way more than a thousand lines which is really too much to navigate and search without spoilers, I guess. ^^
Basically what I wanted to say. Having a big wall of text looks a bit cluttered and harder to navigate. Spoilering them would be make it look nice and, basically, easier to search for something you wanted to find instead of reading each paragraph.

Return to “Archives”