Couple Of Questions...

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
jacksonnintendo3ds
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Current Project: The Intellect Of Bowser.

Couple Of Questions...

Postby jacksonnintendo3ds » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:04 pm

Welcome! As the title clearly states, I have come on to ask 3 questions. Apologies to take time out of your hands, but your help is GREATLY appreciated.

1. I have been doing some research on custom tiling, sprites, and such on SMBX. According to another post I read, you must replace one of the default blocks, or NPC to allow space for your own custom work. Is there a way I could possibly do this while having the option to completely reset any changes made, or must I download a second SMBX and use this version as a retainer for the default NPCs/Blocks?

2. I have been rather concerned about how my episode could be unappealing here because of the low amounts of custom tiling I plan to use. My second question is, do you think my levels would still be interesting to play with a very small amount of custom graphics, or should I start finding some? Even if my levels have amazing gameplay?

Once again, I thank you for taking the time to help a newb such as me sprout into a SMBX Master.
Time is money. Spend it wisely.

Zenithbreak
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Re: Couple Of Questions...

Postby Zenithbreak » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:51 pm

If you go to the folder your level is located in, make a new folder with the same name as your level, and put your graphics in there, the game will automatically replace the graphics for only that level. And no, you don't need custom graphics to make a good level.
Spoiler: show

dagget10
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Current Project: ******* ***** ***** **** (Secret)
Chat Username: Dagget10

Postby dagget10 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:48 am

Alright, I'll go ahead and answer this.

1. To replace a graphic in a level, make a folder in the same directory as the level. The folder will need the same name as the level (If the level is named as Example.lvl the folder must be named Example) To replace a graphic for the entire episode, put the custom graphic in the same folder as the level (no folder with the name name as level).

2. It would not be unappealing, but it basically just gives some more resources for it. It can be used for expansions, custom level design, or simply avoiding graphics clash (SMW and SMB3 normally don't look appealing together). If you plan on using vanilla resources, make sure graphics go well together.
Eyyyy

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:58 pm

http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =35&t=9856 This topic answers your first question in detail. If you're unsure about anything else, check out the other sticky topics around here.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Help and Support”