SMBX won't boot?

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Yoshiatom
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

SMBX won't boot?

Postby Yoshiatom » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:55 pm

When I select "Start Game" nothign seems to happen, and I have to close the program via the Task manager. When I choose "Level editor" the loading screen pops up, with the coin sound but after some time the coin stops spinning and windows tells me that SMBX isn't responding. Any help? (BTW, I'm running SMBX off of my portable hard drive)

FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Re: SMBX won't boot?

Postby FanofSMBX » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:57 pm

Portable hard drive? No no! I ran SMBX off of a USB stick once upon a time, and after about a month the USB stick stopped being recognized by my laptop.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

Spoiler: show
SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
Spoiler: show
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

Yoshiatom
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Yoshiatom » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:02 pm

That slightly annoys me... I'll move it to the laptop and see if it works.

Yoshiatom
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Yoshiatom » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:12 pm

Moved it to my laptop, no change.
Clearly the problem is something else...

bossedit8
Toad
Toad
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:17 pm

How is your PC System and Information if you can clarify that? If the SMBX won't load for no reason you have something to do with your PC. Maybe upgrade it.

Yoshiatom
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Yoshiatom » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:24 pm

bossedit8 wrote:How is your PC System and Information if you can clarify that? If the SMBX won't load for no reason you have something to do with your PC. Maybe upgrade it.
http://pastebay.net/1404331

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:26 pm

Running SMBX off of a memory stick/drive shouldn't be a problem - I did that for two years. I would try uninstalling it (obviously keep all of your stuff you've made, if any) and reinstall it from a reputable source (like this one).

Yoshiatom
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Yoshiatom » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:56 pm

...Nope, same problems. :(

FallingSnow
Ninji
Ninji

Postby FallingSnow » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:48 pm

"Memory: 1024MB RAM"

This is your problem. Your computer doesn't have enough RAM to run the game. SMBX itself takes around 1GB(1024MB) of RAM. With other computer processes taking a bit, you don't have enough to meet that requirement. The only solution to this problem would be getting more RAM and putting it into your computer (usually 1GB computers are expandable to 2GB) or getting a new computer.

Yoshiatom
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Yoshiatom » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:07 pm

FallingSnow wrote:"Memory: 1024MB RAM"

This is your problem. Your computer doesn't have enough RAM to run the game. SMBX itself takes around 1GB(1024MB) of RAM. With other computer processes taking a bit, you don't have enough to meet that requirement. The only solution to this problem would be getting more RAM and putting it into your computer (usually 1GB computers are expandable to 2GB) or getting a new computer.
...Well that's a blow, as if I already wanted a new laptop. Thanks for the help guys.

Keddy
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: Luigi and the Never-ending project
Chat Username: Kedy

Postby Keddy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:23 pm

I would just like to say that I have about 1GB in my XP and I can run Chrome, SMBX, Paint.Net, and the window's Media Player at the same time. You might want to open the Task Manager to see what else could be taking up cpu usage, as physical memory isn't the problem it's about your CPU and how many processes it can run.
If my grammar ever seems bad, that's because me vale bien y bonito! :v
nya: show

FallingSnow
Ninji
Ninji

Postby FallingSnow » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:36 pm

elitalianoverde wrote:

I would just like to say that I have about 1GB in my XP and I can run Chrome, SMBX, Paint.Net, and the window's Media Player at the same time. You might want to open the Task Manager to see what else could be taking up cpu usage, as physical memory isn't the problem it's about your CPU and how many processes it can run.
I would give SMBX at least half a gigabyte with a bit of room for heavier tasks. I know that on a Vista with 1GB of RAM the game would not run for me.

SuperErikNation
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Current Project: MarioNation, Unnamed Story-driven Mario Episode

Postby SuperErikNation » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:53 pm

elitalianoverde wrote:I would just like to say that I have about 1GB in my XP and I can run Chrome, SMBX, Paint.Net, and the window's Media Player at the same time. You might want to open the Task Manager to see what else could be taking up cpu usage, as physical memory isn't the problem it's about your CPU and how many processes it can run.
In Windows XP in almost every game the RAM requirements are less, thus SMBX not being the exception, as it requires 1024 MB of RAM to run SMBX on W7 and 512 MB of RAM to run SMBX on WXP.

BTW
Yoshiatom wrote: ...Well that's a blow, as if I already wanted a new laptop. Thanks for the help guys.
Had you found any way to run SMBX 1.3.0.1 on your old laptop? Mine can't, but I found that it can run 1.2.idontevenknow without any problem.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:02 pm

It might be important to note that before your comment, this thread has been unanswered since February 2014! The user asking the question hasn't been here since July so there was no reason to bump this. Don't reply to old topics!!!

Return to “Help and Support”