SMBX Level Editor on Windows 8?

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
SuperWingedYoshi
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Current Project: Yoshi's Paradise

SMBX Level Editor on Windows 8?

Postby SuperWingedYoshi » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:48 pm

One of my friends, who isn't on this forum, is willing to help me with my Yoshi's Paradise SMBX project.
However, he has Windows 8, and he has the big problem that he can't save any changes he makes in the level editor.
If he creates a new level and wants to save it, it simply won't save. No error message appears, and the level file is simply not there.
If he edits a level and wants to save the changes, it simply won't save. No error message appears, the level file remains unchanged.
Loading an existing level or starting a new blank level works fine.

I have a feeling that the User Account Control is responsible for his problem, but my friend says he's unable to turn it off completely in the Control Panel. "Run as Administrator" didn't help, either. And he doesn't have access to an older Windows version.
Do you possibly have another suggestion? It'd be quite sad if he couldn't help me because of his operating system... :(
My SMBX project: Yoshi's Paradise!

Projects I support:
Spoiler: show

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: something

Re: SMBX Level Editor on Windows 8?

Postby silent_ » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:02 pm

Apologies, but Windows 8 is probably the worst computer type to use for gaming. I would recommend Windows XP (which is old but still is good) and most likely Windows 7.
Otherwise, your problems are certainly peculiar and I can barely help you but perhaps this video would assist you.

previously known as Kep

SuperWingedYoshi
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby SuperWingedYoshi » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:41 pm

Kep wrote:Apologies, but Windows 8 is probably the worst computer type to use for gaming.
That's exactly why I'm still using Windows 7 (and that's not the only reason why I haven't "upgraded"). My friend says he can't buy an older operating system at the moment, however.
...but perhaps this video would assist you.
I already came across this video during my Google search. It shows that there's at least one person with Windows 8 where saving changes seems to work, but doesn't give any further tips for my friend's problem. I'm going to write a comment on that video, hopefully the uploader is still active and has decent English knowledge.

However, if anyone else has another tip, I'd be really thankful. :)

Projects I support:

bossedit8
Banned
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:44 pm

That is weird. I used Windows 8 before and Saving works fine (no problems). Maybe reinstrall SMBX could be the solution.

SuperWingedYoshi
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby SuperWingedYoshi » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:50 pm

bossedit8 wrote:Maybe reinstrall SMBX could be the solution.
I told him, he'll try it out. I'll edit this post later to let everyone know if it worked or not. Thanks for your help so far.

Projects I support:

XerX
Birdo
Birdo

Postby XerX » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:02 pm

Kep wrote:Apologies, but Windows 8 is probably the worst computer type to use for gaming. I would recommend Windows XP (which is old but still is good) and most likely Windows 7.
I'm sorry, but Windows 8 is fine when it comes to gaming.

As for your friends problem, what are the specs on his computer? I'm sure his program is just bugged, and just needs a reinstall.

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: something

Postby silent_ » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:05 pm

Blank wrote:
Kep wrote:Apologies, but Windows 8 is probably the worst computer type to use for gaming. I would recommend Windows XP (which is old but still is good) and most likely Windows 7.
That was just a rumor I heard, I do know as a fact that Windows 8 isn't the BEST gaming computer but Windows 7 is intended mostly for gamers.
previously known as Kep

FallingSnow
Ninji
Ninji

Postby FallingSnow » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:42 am

Kep wrote:
Blank wrote:
That was just a rumor I heard, I do know as a fact that Windows 8 isn't the BEST gaming computer but Windows 7 is intended mostly for gamers.
It depends on the specs, not the OS.

As far as SMBX on Windows 8, did you install it to a place like C:/SMBX? I would install it to your desktop and see if the problem persists. Things don't like to be saved in C:/ sometimes when you're no an administrator.

SuperWingedYoshi
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby SuperWingedYoshi » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:06 am

@Blank: As I've already said, I told him to re-install SMBX. I've also asked him to give me the specs of his computer. I'll post an update here when I have them.

@FallingSnow: No idea, he didn't tell me... But I guess he did so, at least if he still has SMBX 1.3. On my computer, SMBX 1.3 was put in C:\, and SMBX 1.3.0.1 was put in C:\Program Files (x86) by default. I've told him about your tip, we'll see if it works.

Projects I support:

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:12 pm

I use Windows 8 and it works fine with SMBX. Just set its compatibility mode with xp or something.

SuperWingedYoshi
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby SuperWingedYoshi » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:56 pm

Alright, I can tell my friend that as well. I think he didn't try out the Compatibility Mode yet. Looks like he has a whole lot of things to try out in the next time, lol.

Projects I support:

Bj007pro
Banned

Postby Bj007pro » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:28 am

smwforever45 wrote:
Kep wrote:Apologies, but Windows 8 is probably the worst computer type to use for gaming.
That's exactly why I'm still using Windows 7 (and that's not the only reason why I haven't "upgraded"). My friend says he can't buy an older operating system at the moment, however.
...but perhaps this video would assist you.
I already came across this video during my Google search. It shows that there's at least one person with Windows 8 where saving changes seems to work, but doesn't give any further tips for my friend's problem. I'm going to write a comment on that video, hopefully the uploader is still active and has decent English knowledge.

However, if anyone else has another tip, I'd be really thankful. :)

SMBX was made on a Vista (Don't know what type) with Visual Basics 2006 works !00% Completely fine, I can't run it on my Windows 7 Computer,
You could get your Friend to set up a Virtual PC running Vista or XP and install SMBX in it. Done it on my Windows 7 and on My Vista itself but I don't use the Virtual PC on my Vista because it runs completely fine with-out the need of a Virtual PC, but on my Windows 7 I do, and it work great on my Virtual PC on Windows 7, it runs Vista but also have another Virtual PC Running XP and has SMBX installed on it.
Don't Be Afraid To Take a Shot Than To Take A Shot Being Afraid - Bj007pro

Great Forum to talk about Nearly Anything - chillaxforum.proboards.com

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:59 am

I heard something about a Virtual PC and I thought I'd share this little shit's video on how to set one up.
Enjoy!
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

SuperWingedYoshi
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby SuperWingedYoshi » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:36 am

@Bj007pro: As I wrote before:
smwforever45 wrote:My friend says he can't buy an older operating system at the moment, however.
Windows 8 is the only thing he has right now.

Also, why would you need a Virtual PC on Windows 7? SMBX 1.3.0.1 runs completely fine on my computer with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit without any further compatibility settings.

@Syndrilevosse: Thanks, but same as above: My friend doesn't have any other OS than Windows 8. I told him about the Virtual PC idea already, but without another OS, it'll be impossible for him to set up a Virtual PC.

Projects I support:

Roshblue
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Roshblue » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:06 pm

I had this happen to me before.
Just search for the name of the level with Windows Start Menu (Yes, there's one for Win. 8) or using the search at Start.

If you see the file then click properties.
After that, look for it's file directory.
Open Windows Explorer and paste that directory onto the navigation bar.
You should be in an SMBX Worlds folder that is in your VirtualStore folder.
I bet your friend is using 64-bit.
SMBX newbie ova here.

mariofan 64
Blooper
Blooper
Current Project: stuff in rpg maker and arc 1 of mario videos

Postby mariofan 64 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:16 am

Windows 8 sucks, and it forced my mom's computer to install 8.1, and less things work now. As for the saving, put the program on usb, put the usb into your friend's computer, and just keep everything there on that drive. Works great for me at least. Compatibility mode for Windows 8 on up doesn't do anything anymore, so don't expect that to work either.
I has youtube now...with some activity :D

Projects: Infinite Mario Bros. For PGE (On the PGE Website, of course) (temp hiatus for other projects, see second link in spoiler for details)
----------RPG games, not related to Mario at all :/
----------A ???? game made in Gamemaker.

Completed: Schedules, Plans, Pages, And Other Things

Processing...Processing...Completed. See message below:
Mario Infinity: Quest to Stabilize the World (WIP)
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=568
FACEBOOKS:
https://www.facebook.com/EBTKSPaddy
MAI PATREON:
https://www.patreon.com/ebtkspaddy
MAH FRIEND'S YOUTUBES WHERE ME AND MAH FRIEND'S ARE AT:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRoSEH ... rVJdozjwUA

XerX
Birdo
Birdo

Postby XerX » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:17 am

Uh...yeah. SMBX works fine on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. I should know. I have Windows 8.1 and I have used SMBX without any error.

Return to “Help and Support”