Trigger event via key?

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
rotodisco
Goomba
Goomba

Trigger event via key?

Postby rotodisco » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:06 pm

I want the player to bring a key and put it in a certain spot, which triggers an event. I don't want to end the level or change section, just trigger an event. I could put a zelda 2 key door in the floor, so that you can put the key on top of it, deleting it and allowing a koopa to kick a shell at a block which triggers an event...but this leaves a hole in the floor, i have to change the door sprite so i can hide the koopa far below, and you'd hear the shell kicking sound constantly until the key is used. I can't really get around this via level design because what I'm doing with that room is set in stone. I thought the keyhole would be able to trigger events, but it's just a level exit, right? Is there a way to do this using Luna or something?
I'm using PGE/Horikawa's smbx 2.0.

I'm respriting it anyway, so it doesn't have to be a key- it could be a friendly, nonmoving shyguy or a mushroom block or something.
Last edited by rotodisco on Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bossedit8
Toad
Toad
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Re: Trigger event via key?

Postby bossedit8 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:11 pm

You can make the key with the event "death" on it and then it can trigger it as soon as you enter the locked warp position in a level. If that's what you mean.

Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Valtteri » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:17 pm

I don't understand why you would need a Koopa. You can just set an event to happen when the Zelda lock dies. Every NPC can trigger an event upon death and the Zelda lock is no exception.

rotodisco
Goomba
Goomba

Postby rotodisco » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:23 pm

Valtteri wrote:I don't understand why you would need a Koopa. You can just set an event to happen when the Zelda lock dies. Every NPC can trigger an event upon death and the Zelda lock is no exception.
because i'm a dumbo who overcomplicates things. thanks!

Return to “Help and Support”