Can't jump whilst running left on new laptop.

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Snowburger
Ripper II
Ripper II

Can't jump whilst running left on new laptop.

Postby Snowburger » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:04 pm

Just got a new laptop, and for some reason in both the editor and in game I can't jump whilst I'm running left? (Can't press Z whilst holding X + <~)
Is there some sort of shortcut on Windows 10 that stops me from using these keys at the same time? I know it's not a problem of not being able to hold 2+ keys at one time because I can still jump whilst running right. Any solutions?

Thanks, Snowburger.
Insert IRC quotes here.
Previously know as Snowburger

I support:

Ace

Re: Can't jump whilst running left on new laptop.

Postby Ace » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:28 pm

it's not as simple as whether or not you can hold 3 keys at once. It depends on which keys they are. Laptops in particular aren't great with this, however it's a problem to some extent on most keyboards. Your best option would be to use a controller, or change your control scheme to something that works.

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: The Codehaus Girl

Re: Can't jump whilst running left on new laptop.

Postby Hoeloe » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:09 pm

Essentially it comes down to how these kind of keyboards are engineered.

Take a look at this diagram:

Basically your keyboard is made of a bunch of criss-crossing wires. When you press a single key, a unique pair of wires receive a signal from it. The key press is then determined from which wires are activated.

This works fine for 2 keys as well. Consider in the diagram above if the key E is also pressed. Both keys can be determined from this.

But problems occur when you bring a third key into the mix. Now consider what happens if you also hit W. No new wires receive signals, since both the wires connected to W are receiving signals from the S and E keys independently. Thus, the keyboard can't recognise a new keypress, and ignores the W key.

It's a little bit more complex than this simple diagram and explanation, but you can see why certain key combinations don't work with this kind of keyboard. Unfortunately, since this is a hardware issue, the only fixes are "change which keys you need to press" or "get a better keyboard".

Return to “Help and Support”