Storing on USB

Having a problem with SMBX? Need assistance with a tool or with the site? Ask your questions here.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
The Dwarven Digger
Lakitu
Lakitu
Current Project: Currently unnamed

Storing on USB

Postby The Dwarven Digger » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:06 pm

The laptop I'm currently using hasn't got that much space on the C drive, in fact it's only got a couple of GB free (with SMBX installed). I do have a few USB drives I can use, and would easily be able to have one just dedicated to SMBX... If it weren't for the fact that my laptop refuses to run the .exe files from the USB. It only works if I store in the C drive (and before you ask or suggest anything, the laptop has no other drives). So I was wondering, is there any way of storing at least some of the data on the USB, and have SMBX itself on the C drive? I suppose I could use the USB for storing graphics and levels, at least WIP, but can I play episodes stored elsewhere? Is there anything else I could store on the USB? I really don't mind having the USB constantly plugged in while playing/editing if that's required.
I support: show
Due to a problem with my laptop, all my projects and levels have been lost. But fear not, for new ones will be arriving! (and hopefully completed)
Spoiler: show
rockythechao wrote:Image

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure (Now part of the Novaverse!)
Chat Username: Taycamgame

Re: Storing on USB

Postby Taycamgame » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:19 pm

You should be able to play and edit levels, graphics, episodes etc. that are stored anywhere on your computer, and from any external devices such as a USB if they are connected to the laptop. However, I do not suggest using a USB in the long term if it has less than 2GB of space maximum, since it may be slow and that would be annoying for you.
It would be advised for you to store the main files of SMBX on your actual laptop rather than a USB since SMBX takes up a lot of data, AND if it is on a USB and you accidentally remove said USB, it will likely ruin your files. If all else fails, save up some money and get a better laptop with more storage available - some old laptops like the one I use are relatively cheap AND come with 500GB of storage (it's an Acer Aspire E 15 Start, should be cheap and easy to use).
Hope that helps.
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out my Episodes:
ImageImage
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
ImageImageImage
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.

Musicality_Minister45
Eerie
Eerie
Current Project: I don't really know anymore

Postby Musicality_Minister45 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:24 pm

I use a USB for SMBX levels, and for COMPLETELY different reasons (I have two house I have to go between, but I don't really want to elaborate because I'm a bit uncomfortable about the situation). It's possible to store them on USB, yes, but try storing the levels inside folders because for some reason they don't work by themselves (from my experience anyways). And if that doesn't work, try just getting another USB and store the levels in folders with the new one.

Also ninja'd
My favorite-est quotes:
Musicality_Minister45 wrote:Any graphics pack that has memes or Pokémon in I'm down for. I love them both! :lol:
Danny wrote:
Ryaa wrote:
xDestroy wrote: top 10 anime betrayals
top 10 top 10s
top 10 dannys in your neighborhood
"Look at the place from where you pee and you will find out your gender." ~TheNewGuy 2018
HackPlayer7 wrote: ''Kirby The Hedgehog is my favorite Pokemon from The Legend Of Bubsy & Knuckles featuring Dante from the Metal Gear series.''
projects I support: show

The Dwarven Digger
Lakitu
Lakitu
Current Project: Currently unnamed

Postby The Dwarven Digger » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:28 pm

Taycamgame wrote:You should be able to play and edit levels, graphics, episodes etc. that are stored anywhere on your computer, and from any external devices such as a USB if they are connected to the laptop. However, I do not suggest using a USB in the long term if it has less than 2GB of space maximum, since it may be slow and that would be annoying for you.
Ok, I knew about levels and graphics, but not episodes. I thought they might not show up on the menu. The USB I'm using has 3.74GB max storage, and the only thing on there is SMBX2 (when I found out I couldn't run it from there), so speed shouldn't be a problem if it's 2GB or less that causes slowdown.
Taycamgame wrote:It would be advised for you to store the main files of SMBX on your actual laptop rather than a USB since SMBX takes up a lot of data, AND if it is on a USB and you accidentally remove said USB, it will likely ruin your files.
Ok. I have it also copied on the C drive. I'll probably have the levels, episodes and saves on the USB, and the rest of the game files on the laptop. Also, do I need the two .exe files that are named "vc_redist.x64/86"? Are they crucial to running SMBX, or (as the "redist" part seems to suggest) for redistributing the game to others (which I won't be doing)?
Taycamgame wrote:If all else fails, save up some money and get a better laptop with more storage available - some old laptops like the one I use are relatively cheap AND come with 500GB of storage (it's an Acer Aspire E 15 Start, should be cheap and easy to use).
Hope that helps.
I do have what was my main laptop which has like 1TB of storage or something, but the problem is I believe the power socket has come off of the motherboard and needs resoldering. The reason I've been away from SMBX for several months is that I can't find a single person who can (or wants to) fix it.
I support: show
Due to a problem with my laptop, all my projects and levels have been lost. But fear not, for new ones will be arriving! (and hopefully completed)
rockythechao wrote:Image

The0x539
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: SMBX2

Postby The0x539 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:20 am

The Dwarven Digger wrote:I'll probably have the levels, episodes and saves on the USB, and the rest of the game files on the laptop.
It is very unlikely that this will work.
quotes: show
Ryaa wrote: I really do appreciate you showing me the true meaning of butts and I will take this information with me to bed
Enjl wrote: people in my high school struggled with vectors and i was like "what how it's literally an arrow"
rockythechao wrote: so much evil genius is wasted on the free-to-play game industry these days
come on, activision execs, when are you guys going to get yourselves real villain jobs? buy yourselves a volcano lair with lava sharks or something
Like, just ask yourselves this: What Would Sauron Do?
TheKidCodee wrote: Yes. And i know what system 32 is. What java is, htmi.
Hoeloe wrote: I've designed better languages in my sleep
Wohlstand wrote: please, enable your brain
Enjl wrote: that's like using a chainsaw instead of a butter knife to spread butter on your bread
in the sense that the chainsaw will severely literally cut into your performance
Ryaa wrote: aero you should eat some french friends
Ryaa wrote: I honestly think people don't use 2.0 because it requires thinking lmao

Return to “Help and Support”