Go to title screen on game launch?

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Chipss
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Luigi's Toxic Adventure

Go to title screen on game launch?

Postby Chipss » Tue May 07, 2019 5:52 pm

I have a custom recolored launcher made for my episode, and I was wondering if there was a way to go to the title screen when I launch the episode as apposed to straight to the intro level/world map?

Visual Representation
Spoiler: show
This might be an easy fix that I just don't know about but I would appreciate any help! :D
Best way to contact me: Chipss#9594 on Discord

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Go to title screen on game launch?

Postby Enjl » Tue May 07, 2019 7:07 pm

Nop.

I find it a tad weird to have a custom title screen for an episode when the title screen asks you to select which episode you would like to play. If two episodes were trying to compete for that spot, that'd be a bit messy, so, launcher pages!
(The alternative is one SMBX installation per episode, but that's also a bit bloaty once people start doing that en masse, so we don't really recommend it. It's standard (intended) practice to only upload the episode folder (i.e. what will go into the worlds folder of someone else's installation) if possible, when releasing your episode.)

One thing which isn't quite the same as this but which serves a similar purpose: You can do some lua trickery to auto-load into a specific level in your episode, and if you're cheeky you can transform that level into your own custom title screen from which to load elsewhere (using more lua trickery, building your own title screen menu and such). One caveat to this approach at the moment is that save file selection happens on the launcher, but I believe there are some ideas to make title screens like that more easy to develop for the future.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Chipss
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Luigi's Toxic Adventure

Postby Chipss » Tue May 07, 2019 7:15 pm

Enjl wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:07 pm
Nop.

I find it a tad weird to have a custom title screen for an episode when the title screen asks you to select which episode you would like to play. If two episodes were trying to compete for that spot, that'd be a bit messy, so, launcher pages!
(The alternative is one SMBX installation per episode, but that's also a bit bloaty once people start doing that en masse, so we don't really recommend it. It's standard (intended) practice to only upload the episode folder (i.e. what will go into the worlds folder of someone else's installation) if possible, when releasing your episode.)

One thing which isn't quite the same as this but which serves a similar purpose: You can do some lua trickery to auto-load into a specific level in your episode, and if you're cheeky you can transform that level into your own custom title screen from which to load elsewhere (using more lua trickery, building your own title screen menu and such). One caveat to this approach at the moment is that save file selection happens on the launcher, but I believe there are some ideas to make title screens like that more easy to develop for the future.
Ok thanks for the info! The reason I have a separate installation for this episode is because I want to release it to the community I have over on Twitch where I'm streaming the development of the episode (not self promotion lol) I want everyone to have an easy, non confusing installation process where they can just launch the .exe and be right in the game.
Best way to contact me: Chipss#9594 on Discord

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Tue May 07, 2019 7:37 pm

Makes sense. I hope that works out well for you. If you decide to release it here please include the option to have the episode as a standalone though, for people who already have stuff set up ;p
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Help and Support”