Why does my custom background not work?

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
123fendas
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Flair: Hello
Current Project: A trial on aaonline.fr titled Turnabout Restraint

Why does my custom background not work?

Postby 123fendas » Fri May 17, 2019 6:16 am

Hoeloe
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Current Project: A2XT Episode 2

Re: Why does my custom background not work?

Postby Hoeloe » Sat May 18, 2019 8:15 am

Not sure what's up here but you should probably be using SMBX2, since it's a lot more stable and makes things like graphics replacements and background customisability much easier.

Westretroman
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Westretroman » Sat May 18, 2019 8:35 am

123fendas wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:16 am
I also noticed that you stored it on the D: Drive, for some random reason, SMBX has a problem with finding custom GFX there, so I recommend placing it somewhere on your desktop and see if it works too. Also don't forget to try SMBX2 as Hoeloe said, it's cool.

TheTakeAwayGuy
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Current Project: YouTube Channel is dead due to the lack of finding Episodes to play. - Please PM me some. x'(
Chat Username: TheTakeAwayGuy

Postby TheTakeAwayGuy » Sun May 19, 2019 12:45 am

123fendas wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:16 am
What's the resolution of your custom background? - Is it bigger or smaller than the SMBX 3 Desert resolution?
Hey! I am a YouTuber that has a channel that specializes in SMBX Gameplay, it used to belong to an Internet mate of mine.
If you got any episodes or levels* made with SMBX 2 bMAGLX3 or SMBX 38-A, send them to me via private message and I'll happily do a playthrough of your level. If you send me an episode I'll do a whole let's play series of it from start to finish.

*Playthroughs of single levels don't have commentary.

Latest LP Video (3/06/2019):
Spoiler: show

123fendas
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Flair: Hello
Current Project: A trial on aaonline.fr titled Turnabout Restraint

Postby 123fendas » Sun May 19, 2019 6:19 am

TheTakeAwayGuy wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:45 am
What's the resolution of your custom background? - Is it bigger or smaller than the SMBX 3 Desert resolution?

92x92 -- smaller.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sun May 19, 2019 9:34 am

Backgrounds should be at least 800x600 (or at least the size of the original, whichever is smaller) cause SMBX really doesn't like small backgrounds
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

TheTakeAwayGuy
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Current Project: YouTube Channel is dead due to the lack of finding Episodes to play. - Please PM me some. x'(

Postby TheTakeAwayGuy » Mon May 20, 2019 1:33 am

TheTakeAwayGuy wrote:What's the resolution of your custom background? - Is it bigger or smaller than the SMBX 3 Desert resolution?
123fendas wrote:92x92 -- smaller.
Enjl wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:34 am
Backgrounds should be at least 800x600 (or at least the size of the original, whichever is smaller) cause SMBX really doesn't like small backgrounds

Really, since this is SMBX 1.3.0.1 which is technically a very small patch update of SMBX 1.3, I recommend having the custom background resolution to be exactly the same as the background you are replacing.
Hey! I am a YouTuber that has a channel that specializes in SMBX Gameplay, it used to belong to an Internet mate of mine.
If you got any episodes or levels* made with SMBX 2 bMAGLX3 or SMBX 38-A, send them to me via private message and I'll happily do a playthrough of your level. If you send me an episode I'll do a whole let's play series of it from start to finish.

Hoeloe
Grinder
Grinder

Postby Hoeloe » Mon May 20, 2019 7:59 am

Enjl wrote:
Though if you use SMBX2 and a custom background ini file, you can use smaller images no problem.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Mon May 20, 2019 8:46 am

Hoeloe wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:59 am
Enjl wrote:
Though if you use SMBX2 and a custom background ini file, you can use smaller images no problem.
Under the assumption that the background2-n.png file still adheres to these rules, as I've gotten my game to crash reliably with smaller backgrounds even when using background inis.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

TheTakeAwayGuy
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby TheTakeAwayGuy » Mon May 20, 2019 9:39 am

Hoeloe wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:59 am
Enjl wrote:
Why would you want to use small resolution images for your background?

Also, there was a problem where a custom background I wanted to use not properly showing up within the editor until a completely deleted the .ini file.

Hoeloe
Grinder
Grinder

Postby Hoeloe » Mon May 20, 2019 12:40 pm

TheTakeAwayGuy wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:39 am
Why would you want to use small resolution images for your background?
Because maybe you want to tile it?
TheTakeAwayGuy wrote:
Also, there was a problem where a custom background I wanted to use not properly showing up within the editor until a completely deleted the .ini file.
That was because you had an empty .ini file. You never specified any properties for the background you wanted to draw, so it just drew the default - solid black. That wasn't a bug. It was doing exactly what you told it to do.

TheTakeAwayGuy
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby TheTakeAwayGuy » Mon May 20, 2019 10:49 pm

Hoeloe wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:40 pm
TheTakeAwayGuy wrote:
That was because you had an empty .ini file. You never specified any properties for the background you wanted to draw, so it just drew the default - solid black. That wasn't a bug. It was doing exactly what you told it to do.
I guess, even though the .ini file is created automatically.

Hoeloe
Grinder
Grinder

Postby Hoeloe » Tue May 21, 2019 6:08 am

TheTakeAwayGuy wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:49 pm

I guess, even though the .ini file is created automatically.
It's not. It's only created if you hit the pencil in the editor - which is the "edit background ini" button. That button creates a new ini file and opens it for editing. You don't need to press that to use simple custom background graphics.

Return to “Help and Support”