Super Mario World-Styled Intro

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Alby
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Super Mario World-Styled Intro

Postby Alby » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:27 pm

I've recently started to finally work on my own project of sorts. One thing I would really like to include is an intro similar to that in Super Mario World, where a brief message pops up to tell you your end game goal before you head out to the world map to properly start your adventure. Is it possible to do this in SMBX, and if so would someone be willing to assist me in accomplishing this? I'm using version 1.4.4 if it helps. :3

Walleo64
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Re: Super Mario World-Styled Intro

Postby Walleo64 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:09 pm

I personally don't use SMBX 1.4.4 and I usually stay away from world maps in my projects, but I'm pretty sure this is possible. What you'll want to do is create a small level for the intro to take place in. Under "Events" there should be a pre-made event called 'Level - Start' or something similar that runs at the beginning of each level. You can set a message to display at the start of the level by typing something in the message box with this event selected. In the world editor, go to settings and enter the name of the intro level + .lvl extension under "Auto Start Level". When you are setting a level exit you get the option to enter map coordinates, so enter the coordinates for wherever you want the player to start on your world map and put the exit somewhere. It won't be 1:1 SMW since the player will have to exit the level themselves, but it could still be pretty cool.

And once again, I'm using 1.3.0.1 as a reference so take this all with a grain of salt.

8lue Storm
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: its pronounced bluestorm

Postby 8lue Storm » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:18 pm

Walleo64 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:09 pm
I personally don't use SMBX 1.4.4 and I usually stay away from world maps in my projects, but I'm pretty sure this is possible. What you'll want to do is create a small level for the intro to take place in. Under "Events" there should be a pre-made event called 'Level - Start' or something similar that runs at the beginning of each level. You can set a message to display at the start of the level by typing something in the message box with this event selected. In the world editor, go to settings and enter the name of the intro level + .lvl extension under "Auto Start Level". When you are setting a level exit you get the option to enter map coordinates, so enter the coordinates for wherever you want the player to start on your world map and put the exit somewhere. It won't be 1:1 SMW since the player will have to exit the level themselves, but it could still be pretty cool.

And once again, I'm using 1.3.0.1 as a reference so take this all with a grain of salt.
From my understanding of the engines (which tbh isn't anywhere near absolute), you are 100% correct regarding 1.4.4's features, and it seems that your method is the closest approach.

i never performed a shelljump and it's sad I did a grand total of 4 shelljumps in my life!

Alby
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Alby » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:39 am

Thanks for the help, I'm pretty sure I've got it figured out now. ^_^

Return to “Help and Support”