Hidden files?

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
User avatar
Cigarettes
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:15 am
Chat Username: Cigs

Hidden files?

Postby Cigarettes » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:43 am

Having trouble seeing the save folder and/or save file in worlds folders. If I can access these folders I can get the ball rolling on my world again. Localdisk>program files x86>Smbx>worlds>myworld...nothing in there. no save files or folders in the pre installed worlds either. I can see the files in level editor but not on my computer. Using windows 10.
Please help this noob.

User avatar
Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Posts: 4933
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Re: Hidden files?

Postby Cedur » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:55 pm

Cigarettes wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:43 am
Having trouble seeing the save folder and/or save file in worlds folders. If I can access these folders I can get the ball rolling on my world again. Localdisk>program files x86>Smbx>worlds>myworld...nothing in there. no save files or folders in the pre installed worlds either. I can see the files in level editor but not on my computer. Using windows 10.
Please help this noob.

Do you know in the first place how save files in SMBX look like?
Image

Supports: show
Image
Image
Image
Image

Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

User avatar
Cigarettes
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:15 am
Chat Username: Cigs

Re: Hidden files?

Postby Cigarettes » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:02 pm

Cedur wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:55 pm
Cigarettes wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:43 am
Having trouble seeing the save folder and/or save file in worlds folders. If I can access these folders I can get the ball rolling on my world again. Localdisk>program files x86>Smbx>worlds>myworld...nothing in there. no save files or folders in the pre installed worlds either. I can see the files in level editor but not on my computer. Using windows 10.
Please help this noob.

Do you know in the first place how save files in SMBX look like?
No I would love to learn as much as I can. How can I find the files? Thank you for your time by the way. I'm pretty new to this program.

User avatar
Daring Tombstone
Swooper
Swooper
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:57 pm
Flair: Sad I didn't fight Jirachi
Current Project: Something Maybe
Chat Username: Chaperone

Re: Hidden files?

Postby Daring Tombstone » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:35 pm

What version are you using? The newest version just plops onto the desktop (at least for me it does).
Happy Dance
Image
Check out my completed episode
Spoiler: show
Image
Check out my halloween level
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Cigarettes
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:15 am
Chat Username: Cigs

Re: Hidden files?

Postby Cigarettes » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:21 pm

I'm using Super Mario Bros. X 1.3.0.1

User avatar
Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Posts: 4933
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Re: Hidden files?

Postby Cedur » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:14 am

Cigarettes wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:21 pm
I'm using Super Mario Bros. X 1.3.0.1

Save files are automatically created and updated for every episode you play, which means they're in the episode folders, they're called "save1.sav", "save2.sav" and "save3.sav" (depending on which save slot you use)

same holds for other SMBX versions

(also if you want to delete a save slot in 1.3.0.1, only way to do it is deleting the respective save file)
Image

Supports: show
Image
Image
Image
Image

Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

User avatar
Cigarettes
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:15 am
Chat Username: Cigs

Re: Hidden files?

Postby Cigarettes » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:22 pm

Cedur wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:14 am
Cigarettes wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:21 pm
I'm using Super Mario Bros. X 1.3.0.1

Save files are automatically created and updated for every episode you play, which means they're in the episode folders, they're called "save1.sav", "save2.sav" and "save3.sav" (depending on which save slot you use)

same holds for other SMBX versions

(also if you want to delete a save slot in 1.3.0.1, only way to do it is deleting the respective save file)
Helpful I have seen this answer on the board before for someone else this method works but not for worlds I have made. My worlds that I have made are all empty but in the game the files show in the folder.
But outside the program in my documents there is nothing in my worlds folders can't see them.

User avatar
Daring Tombstone
Swooper
Swooper
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:57 pm
Flair: Sad I didn't fight Jirachi
Current Project: Something Maybe
Chat Username: Chaperone

Re: Hidden files?

Postby Daring Tombstone » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:44 pm

Strange. Have you tried enabling the tick box for hidden files under the view tab?

Image
Happy Dance
Image
Check out my completed episode
Spoiler: show
Image
Check out my halloween level
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Cigarettes
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:15 am
Chat Username: Cigs

Re: Hidden files?

Postby Cigarettes » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:09 am

Daring Tombstone wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:44 pm
Strange. Have you tried enabling the tick box for hidden files under the view tab?

Image
Just did and nothing. =( I did exactly what you just showed me on the screen shot

User avatar
Daring Tombstone
Swooper
Swooper
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:57 pm
Flair: Sad I didn't fight Jirachi
Current Project: Something Maybe
Chat Username: Chaperone

Re: Hidden files?

Postby Daring Tombstone » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:58 pm

If you right click the smbx folder and click properties does it actually show that it has data in it? I'm running out of ideas for what's going on.
My last idea would be to make sure you're the administrator of the computer you're using.
Happy Dance
Image
Check out my completed episode
Spoiler: show
Image
Check out my halloween level
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 7619
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Hidden files?

Postby Enjl » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:16 am

You're using a version < SMBX2PAL, which is the first version to auto-apply write permissions when installing the program.
What this means is that there is a chance that SMBX doesn't have permissions to save files in your installation directory. I see that you've saved it into the "Program Files (x86)" folder, which has been a common place for people to lack write permissions for their files. You can figure out if this is the problem you are encountering by copying the SMBX folder to your desktop and trying to play an episode there, as the desktop is by default more lenient than a folder intended for files installed with an installer.
If you play a little using the desktop copy and then notice, after saving, that save files have been created, you can start looking into setting administrator permissions on your other folder. The setting for this ought to be in the "Security" tab of the folder's permissions. Another way to circumvent it is to pick a less strict folder for your installation, too. I keep my SMBX install in B://SMBX, for example.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage


Return to “Help and Support”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests