Collecting all Star Coins on a layer isn't making my Star layer appear

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Animebryan
Bit
Bit
Flair: Need help!
Current Project: Star of Darkness

Collecting all Star Coins on a layer isn't making my Star layer appear

Postby Animebryan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:53 am

One of the basic mechanics in my episode is to have the player collect 5 star coins in a level in order to get the star to appear in a certain spot. In my current level, I've been testing it to make sure that collecting all 5 star coins is possible & that the star appears like it's supposed to, but it's not. Event wise, this is pretty simple. I have all 5 star coins on a 'Star Coins' layer, with each one set with it's Star Coin ID & the option that when all objects on that layer are gone, the 'Star' layer would show. The event itself is also pretty basic. Collecting all 5 Star Coins should trigger the event, which in turn should show the star layer, but it won't.

When I used cheat codes to make the test playing easier (the level is HARD), I noticed that the star did appear, but when I wasn't using cheat codes & collected all 5 star coins (which required many tries), the star wasn't there. The reason I used the cheat codes was to confirm a suspicion I had about whether Star Coins are still considered to be collected after restarting at a checkpoint, in which case, any star coins collected before reaching a checkpoint are saved, but ones you collect afterward before you die are not. But when I collected the 5th & final one, it made a notification sound that normally happens when you collect all the star coins from a level.

So is this some sort of bug or something? How can I fix this issue?
Need serious help with Lua based features :(

Animebryan
Bit
Bit
Flair: Need help!
Current Project: Star of Darkness

Re: Collecting all Star Coins on a layer isn't making my Star layer appear

Postby Animebryan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:27 pm

Update: I've posted this on Wohlstand's site as well & tested a level he gave me (which I had to modify) & with it, I was able to confirm my suspicion on how star coins work when placed on a layer.

As you can plainly see, if you put all your star coins on a layer, collect some of them & reach a checkpoint & then die & restart from there, the game will show that it saved the star coins that you've collected so far, but for the sake of collecting everything on that layer, they don't count & you'll have to recollect them as well. This means you have to collect all the star coins in 1 try to make the star layer appear. This is a huge problem for those who want to hide away their stars by having to collect star coins in a level.

What I don't understand is how nobody noticed this before & said anything about it.
Need serious help with Lua based features :(

Return to “Help and Support”