How to add custom graphics to your episode

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
Exiled Bowser
Bit
Bit
Current Project: Esgardum Legends I: The Four Sinners
Chat Username: Exiled

How to add custom graphics to your episode

Postby Exiled Bowser » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:53 am

This is a simple tutorial on how to add customs to your Smbx episode.

When making an episode or any standalone level, its is better to use custom graphics to add a bit more variety to your levels that the normal default graphics cannot provide. Yet how exactly do you go about doing this? Well I'll explain here how you do that and safely and effectively.

You just can't replace graphics in the default graphics folder of the program, this will cause serious problems for SMBX itself.

Don't do this:
Spoiler: show
When you want to add custom graphics to a whole episode or to a single level you must make a folder.

For an episode, you make a folder named whatever your episode name is and it goes under worlds.

For example my episode Bowser's Exile:
Me clicking on it will have all my levels and their folders and global custom graphics replacements (more on that later). If you are just starting a new project (which I know you probably are), your world folder should only have nothing or your world map file: blahblahblahyakkitysmackity.wld (props to whomever gets that reference). This is also known as an episode folder which holds everything about your episode!
Now that we know where episodes, world maps, and levels (and their folders) go, now lets learn how to actually add custom graphics the right way.

First and foremost: in your new episode folder make a new folder in that and name it your new level name. In my example I will name mine for my latest cave level, World 1-S4.

I use plain easy to organize names for my levels instead of their real names like, Slushy Cave for world 6-2 which is being featured on this site. You can use whatever naming scheme you like, but use one that you can go back and figure what level goes where on your world map later without not having to open it or look at the folder contents.

Yet this is a adding your own customs tutorial not a "Tips on how to organize your project"... that is for another day.

Once you named it, you can start putting graphics in it to whatever theme you have for your level, since my level is going to be a cave, I will be looking for cave graphics (blocks, backgrounds, backgrounds objects, enemies, etc.) and putting them in the properly named folder for the level. I only put my background for now for the sake of this tutorial.
Now go into SMBX 1.3/1.3.0.1 and save an empty level as the level folder name followed by .lvl. when that is done find the corresponding level background button you "replaced" its graphic for using the folder you made and its new background instead of the default SMBX files in "graphics".

In my case, it will be "World 1-S4.lvl" (no quotes obviously in the editor) and the corresponding button is warehouse under SMB2!

Global graphics for your episodes

Now what if you want a graphic to replace a certain thing in every level regardless what it is?

This I what your world (or episode folder) is for! This is also for having custom world map tiles and level icons.

There is a hierarchy for how graphics are applied. It goes as follows:

Levels:
Default "graphics" folder > world folders > level folders

Priority:
Level folders > world folders> default "graphics" folder

As you can see, the lowest priory but highest level in the hierarchy is your default graphics under "graphics" in the main editor files of SMBX. Next is world folders which overwrite anything locally within your episode with the custom graphics put into it. Last of all is the level folders which supersede anything in the previous two higher levels of folders.

So when in doubt, put it in your level's folder.

As an example:
I needed to have Bowser replace Link for all my levels except for a level that features link only. So I placed the Bowser playable graphics and everything related to him in my world folder and link's default graphics, which were copied from the "graphics" folder, into the Link levels.

World folder gfx:

Level folder cgfx:

And there you have it! This is how you add custom graphics effectively!
[01:17:53] <Exiled_Bowser> Finally! I do not get a damn "2" added to my name when I dc and reconnect.
[01:19:18] <Exiled_Bowser> Bowser's Exile 2 will not be out or will ever be out for years! That is a Joke folks...I have no intention of making a second when I haven't even done the first to completion yet.

Speaking of which, just check out the thread for my Episode Project right here!
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =34&t=8440

Exiled Bowser
Bit
Bit
Current Project: Esgardum Legends I: The Four Sinners
Chat Username: Exiled

Re: How to add custom graphics to your episode

Postby Exiled Bowser » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:05 am

Why wasn't this stickied? People don't have to keep making "How do I add custom GFX to my episode?" threads with this tutorial here.
[01:17:53] <Exiled_Bowser> Finally! I do not get a damn "2" added to my name when I dc and reconnect.
[01:19:18] <Exiled_Bowser> Bowser's Exile 2 will not be out or will ever be out for years! That is a Joke folks...I have no intention of making a second when I haven't even done the first to completion yet.

Speaking of which, just check out the thread for my Episode Project right here!
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =34&t=8440

h2643
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: Украинец
Current Project: RL
Chat Username: h/hnumbers

Re: How to add custom graphics to your episode

Postby h2643 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:09 am

Probably because this is the same thing:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 35&t=10507

...and people are too lazy to read it.