SMB: Collaboration (Version 1.1.5) (Polling Over!)

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: 4 me 2 no, & u 2 find out.
Chat Username: Mariogeek2

Re: SMB: Collaboration

Postby mariogeek2 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:47 pm

Gintoki wrote:We actually planned to do a hub back then, Magus was doing it. Just it was never finished for whatever reason.
A hub actually sounds like a really good idea for the episode, but how about instead of having the hub take you to the levels (as in SMSE), the hub takes you to each world on the world map (as in Apocalypse of Foroze)?
Someone of the team could potentially finish it if there's still someone interested. Shame most of the team left.
Well, what about you? The levels you designed for the project were really good, and you seem like a talented designer. Would you be interested?
Spoiler: show
Blasphemy! How dare you both! My respect for y'all just went down a major amount.

Also, Valterri, while AM2R's soundtrack is not perfect, how can you say that it's organic, atmospheric tracks should have sounded more like your electronic beep-boops? M2/AM2R takes place on a world dominated by nature, so why in the heck do you use so many artificial-sounding instruments for your tracks?

Kyogokudo
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Kyogokudo » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:10 am

mariogeek2 wrote:
Gintoki wrote:We actually planned to do a hub back then, Magus was doing it. Just it was never finished for whatever reason.
A hub actually sounds like a really good idea for the episode, but how about instead of having the hub take you to the levels (as in SMSE), the hub takes you to each world on the world map (as in Apocalypse of Foroze)?
Feels useless to me. The hub would also need to be redesigned in that case.
mariogeek2 wrote:
Someone of the team could potentially finish it if there's still someone interested. Shame most of the team left.
Well, what about you? The levels you designed for the project were really good, and you seem like a talented designer. Would you be interested?
There was quite a lot of talking NPCs and all. I'm pretty bad at making up jokes so if I finished the hub it would be without that. Plus bosses were planned and I hate making those. So nah I won't do it, sorry.
I saw Magus is still somehow active though, maybe try asking him ?
That old shitty level designer.

mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby mariogeek2 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:22 pm

Kyogokudo wrote:
mariogeek2 wrote: A hub actually sounds like a really good idea for the episode, but how about instead of having the hub take you to the levels (as in SMSE), the hub takes you to each world on the world map (as in Apocalypse of Foroze)?
Feels useless to me. The hub would also need to be redesigned in that case.
The hub probably needs redesigning, anyway, it is kind of a jumbled mess.
mariogeek2 wrote:
There was quite a lot of talking NPCs and all. I'm pretty bad at making up jokes so if I finished the hub it would be without that. Plus bosses were planned and I hate making those. So nah I won't do it, sorry.
I saw Magus is still somehow active though, maybe try asking him ?[/quote]
Well, I wasn't suggesting the hub, I was talking about the entire episode.
Blasphemy! How dare you both! My respect for y'all just went down a major amount.

Also, Valterri, while AM2R's soundtrack is not perfect, how can you say that it's organic, atmospheric tracks should have sounded more like your electronic beep-boops? M2/AM2R takes place on a world dominated by nature, so why in the heck do you use so many artificial-sounding instruments for your tracks?

mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Re: SMB: Collaboration (Version 1.1)

Postby mariogeek2 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:01 am

Hey guys, NEW UPDATE!

So, a lot of you guys were complaining about how certain levels that could only be beaten by certain characters had no character blocks. Well, I fixed that! I played through the entire episode again, and I found levels that could only be beaten by certain characters. I went into the level editor, and added characters blocks. Yay! No more having to quit or use character-change cheat codes.

Anyways, like an idiot, I put the entire episode into a .zip file, instead of just the levels that needed character blocks added. I'll fix it, but in the meantime, if you want this patch, you'll have to redownload the entire episode and overwrite the old episode folder or just move the save from the old episode folder into the new one.

Also, if you guys find any levels that I didn't add character blocks to that needed them, be sure to let me know. I'll add them to the patch I'll release containing only levels that needed character blocks added, instead of the entire episode.

Hope you guys enjoy! The download link is right here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/htu94 ... r._1.1.zip

CynicHost
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Flair: heck

Postby CynicHost » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:36 pm

Now this is what the SMBX community should be all about. Taking old abandoned episodes and reviving/revamping them is an amazing idea.

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:04 am

If we would do that we would never have episodes like the 2kxx series which introduced a lot of new shit.

mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Re: SMB: Collaboration (Version 1.1.5) (With Poll)

Postby mariogeek2 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:50 pm

Hey, guys, just wanted to let you know that I've introduced that patch that I said I would get out in a few days last time and never really released. Here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/iw72g ... ch_1.1.zip

Hope you guys enjoy! Anyways, I've added character blocks to a few more levels, and I've packaged the levels that need replacing in patch form! Now, you don't have to redownload the entire frickin' episode just to add a new patch. Yay!

Anyways, guys, that's not what's really important. What is important is that I've got big plans for the future of this episode. I plan on adding more and better content to this episode, as the episode is...well, unfinished, as I've said in the main topic. There's no final boss, which I plan to add.

As I've replayed this episode, it's come to my attention that the level quality...varies from level to level. Some levels, like Chad's "Scorching Sands", are pretty good, while some are just... meh. So, I've come up with a plan: Just remove the bad levels! But I wanted to ask you guys your opinions first. So, I want to know: Would you prefer it if I ripped some levels from this and threw them in the trash-can? To determine this, I've added the poll above! Be sure to let me know! If the general consensus is "Yes!", then we can decide which levels to get rid of later in this topic.

All right, guys. See you later!

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: SMB: Collaboration (Version 1.1.5) (With Poll!)

Postby Enjl » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:22 pm

I thought you said this isn't your episode and you only reposted it to provide it to other people who would want to play it. Do you have permission from the creators to erase levels you personally deem unworthy?
Please do not use any of my assets (graphics, scripts) in works affiliated with the Novaverse. This applies to the original releases of those assets as well as any third-party variations (recolours, script alterations). Thank you.

The ABC of Creation

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:21 pm

I agree with Enjl

mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby mariogeek2 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:56 pm

Where did I say that I "only" reposted it to provide it to other people? Yeah, I uploaded it to provide it to people and make it easy to find, but I want to update it some just simply because I see so much unused potential in this. The ending is a real let-down, and I want to fix it. Also, yeah, I've said it isn't "My" episode, but I don't see the harm in adding a few levels.

As for obtaining permission from the users, most of the levels that I would like to remove are from users who left the forums a long time ago, so obtaining permission from them is essentially impossible. Users like Lucas127 are just simply not on the forums.

The amount of levels I want to remove is minuscule. I just want to remove the rotten apples of the bunch. You know, the ones that you play for several minutes and you're like "Where's the end? This is so boring!", and you see the checkpoint, and you're like "I'm just now halfway? This is bullcrap!"

Another thing: this is the exact reason I ran the poll and announced it to the community. I wanted to see how users would feel about me removing levels from the episode. If more users despise this idea, then I just simply won't do it. But if people honestly would like to have the bad levels removed, then I can't say I don't agree with them. If you have the chance to improve an episode, then why not take advantage of the opportunity?

One last thing: If the majority votes to have levels removed, and we can all agree on which levels need to be removed, then I will PM the creators of those levels. If they're absolutely opposed to the idea, then I won't do it.

I don't want to hurt or offend anyone. I just want to try and improve something with so much potential for becoming one of the better episodes this community has ever created.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:33 am

I'm not a big fan of the idea of someone posting a classic which he doesn't own and then deciding to change it up without permission. You even said in the first paragraph of the first post that you posted it to provide it to other people and that it's a fun episode, even with the letdowns.
I think in this scenario the episode should be preserved in its current state. Every episode has its black sheep but you don't see me going around "fixing" Super Mario Star Expedition because I dislike some levels which were made three years ago.

The way I see it this episode was finished when it stopped getting updates back when it was first released. If you want to add your own two cents to it I suggest at least having the decency to provide your version in a seperate download link and not overriding the one you posted in the beginning. As soon as you override it, you're killing the classic you wanted to revive.
Please do not use any of my assets (graphics, scripts) in works affiliated with the Novaverse. This applies to the original releases of those assets as well as any third-party variations (recolours, script alterations). Thank you.

The ABC of Creation

mariogeek2
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby mariogeek2 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:55 am

Enjl wrote:I think in this scenario the episode should be preserved in its current state. Every episode has its black sheep but you don't see me going around "fixing" Super Mario Star Expedition because I dislike some levels which were made three years ago.
Well, if people don't want me to remove levels, then I won't remove them. That's the purpose of the poll.
The way I see it this episode was finished when it stopped getting updates back when it was first released. If you want to add your own two cents to it I suggest at least having the decency to provide your version in a seperate download link and not overriding the one you posted in the beginning. As soon as you override it, you're killing the classic you wanted to revive.
That's actually a pretty great idea! I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thank you so much!

Anyways, it may have been finished in the sense that the designers were through working on it, but not in the sense that the episode is not lacking in any thing. Seriously, it lacks a final boss! What episode does that?

Storm027
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Storm027 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:03 am

Was it ever finished properly?

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:59 am

Storm027 wrote:Was it ever finished properly?
Yes.

Cedur
Toad
Toad
Current Project: CCX1 level

Postby Cedur » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:53 pm

I don't think there's a point of removing lower-quality levels before you tried patching them up first, in general.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshi's are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Storm027
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Storm027 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:51 pm

The lower quality levels could just be put in a separate place and made optional, with warnings in place.

Return to “Episodes”