Spawn vs The Champions of the Underworld 1.1

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
ShadowRider
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Spawn vs The Champions of the Underworld 1.1

Postby ShadowRider » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:43 pm

My first SMBX episode. You play as Spawn.

Spawn has been chosen to lead the army of the underworld, but before he can take command, he must prove his worth by defeating the champions of the underworld.
Gain rank in the army by defeating champions and challengers. Ranks are represented by Stars. There are 6 Stars/Ranks to achieve. You must have at least a 5 Star rank before you can challenge the strongest of the underworld's champions.

Credits:

Music: Ivan Bertolla - Beyond the Skies Eternity
Sprites, Gfx, Tiles: Todd McFarlane's Spawn, Doom, Dungeon Crawl, Castlevania, Unforgiving Fortress (SMBX episode)
Level design & custom gfx/recolour: Shadow Rider

***UPDATED 3/7/2017***

v1.1 Less rage inducing 2 player mode, more powerups, fewer design flaws, less impossible final boss battle(s)
Download Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/fww0kzs4g ... ld_1.1.rar

Last edited by ShadowRider on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:40 am, edited 7 times in total.

Enchlore
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Re: Spawn vs The Champions of the Underworld

Postby Enchlore » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:08 pm

Judging by the fact Mario shows up in the level start screen, you have the custom Spawn playable GFX placed in each level folder. You can just leave it in the episode folder along with the .lvl files and you won't need to put it in every level folder, and it will prevent the episode's file size from growing unnecessarily.

ShadowRider
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby ShadowRider » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:20 pm

@ Enchlore Thanks for the tip, i'll do that.

ShadowRider
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby ShadowRider » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:22 pm

ShadowRider wrote:@ Enchlore Thanks for the tip, i'll do that.

Fixed.

Fennor
Rex
Rex

Postby Fennor » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:29 pm

I think you should try using custom music. The happy SMB3 dumdududum du dudu dum really destroys the dungen/underworld flair.

ShadowRider
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby ShadowRider » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:46 pm

Fennor wrote:I think you should try using custom music. The happy SMB3 dumdududum du dudu dum really destroys the dungen/underworld flair.

I don't know how to change the music that smbx plays while you're selecting which episode to play, if that's what you're referring to.
All the music in the episode is custom.

ShadowRider
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby ShadowRider » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:52 pm

I just realized what I did. I replaced the games music files, instead of putting the custom music in the level folder. I'm a newb, sorry.

Fennor
Rex
Rex

Postby Fennor » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:57 pm

It plays SMB3 music for me. And I also can't find any music files in the episodes folder

ShadowRider
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby ShadowRider » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:44 pm

SPAWN Vs the Champions of the Underworld 1.1
updated 3/7/2017

Last edited by ShadowRider on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

ShadowRider
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby ShadowRider » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:02 pm

Ryuji231
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Ryuji231 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:29 pm

This game is pretty tough. But I like the music and graphics.

I bet Todd McFarlane would enjoy this also. I know he loves Spawn fan games.
I support:

ShadowRider
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Re: Spawn vs The Champions of the Underworld 1.1

Postby ShadowRider » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:33 am

SPAWN Vs the Champions of the Underworld 1.1
updated 3/7/2017

Last edited by ShadowRider on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Vivian
Swooper
Swooper
Current Project: Kelp World 2

Postby Dr Vivian » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:55 am

Pretty cool! Got 2 stars so far.
Noticed a couple minor glitches with the Spawn sprite. When facing left, there's a stray pixel on the bottom when falling, and when facing right there's a stray pixel when shooting fireballs. I assume the pixel is cut off from another frame.

Speaking of the Spawn sprite, it looks pretty cool, can I add it to my Costume collection?

arcade999
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: I was working on something and AAAARRRGGGHHH, FUCK, MY LAPTOP BROKE!!!
Chat Username: arcade999

Postby arcade999 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:44 am

Oh wow! Finaly, an episode where you dont play mario! Honestly, the graphics look very very very cools!
check out my (shitpost) youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-fkps ... oRYc6XtNxQ
check out my discord server: https://discord.gg/nAjhRGb
check out my forum: http://arcade999forum.freeforums.net/
StickGuyGamez wrote:BRING ME BACK TO PENIS
Super Nick Bros X wrote:bruh
RTisBack wrote:Jesus christ isn't a lord/god you piece of human with no brain, and i mean that allah is the only one god.
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
arcade999 wrote:do using ms paint make me a bad human being?
No. It makes you a great veteran and someone who deserves respect...

unless you use Windows 7 paint
Noodle wrote:Danny is a crapposter. (I was in school when I typed this)
Snessy the duck wrote:
Electriking wrote:What the fuck is going on with this topic?
I have no idea. This guy honestly seems like a bot.

ShadowRider
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby ShadowRider » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:22 pm

Dr Vivian wrote:Pretty cool! Got 2 stars so far.
Noticed a couple minor glitches with the Spawn sprite. When facing left, there's a stray pixel on the bottom when falling, and when facing right there's a stray pixel when shooting fireballs. I assume the pixel is cut off from another frame.

Speaking of the Spawn sprite, it looks pretty cool, can I add it to my Costume collection?

This was my first time working with sprite sheets for characters and NPCs, there are a few stray pixels that I can't fix without making it worse in other ways. The replacement for Boom Boom has a pixel line in one of the frames.

I don't own any of the graphics, just recoloured or customized some of them. Use whatever you want from the game.

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: All toasters toast toast
Current Project: Nothing
Chat Username: practical

Postby Rhosty » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:30 pm

Is Spawn an OC you created? He looks pretty interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong and he is actually from a video game, I'm only familiar with Mario.

Dr Vivian
Swooper
Swooper
Current Project: Kelp World 2

Postby Dr Vivian » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:59 am

ShadowRider wrote:This was my first time working with sprite sheets for characters and NPCs, there are a few stray pixels that I can't fix without making it worse in other ways. The replacement for Boom Boom has a pixel line in one of the frames.

I don't own any of the graphics, just recoloured or customized some of them. Use whatever you want from the game.
Understandable, I'll take a look at the sprites, I know it's hard and tedious to work with sprites 99% of the time...I've seen stray pixels and pixel lines in professional games...so don't worry about it.

The Spawn sprite looked familiar, from the SNES game I think? But I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks.
practicalshorty014 wrote:Is Spawn an OC you created? He looks pretty interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong and he is actually from a video game, I'm only familiar with Mario.
Spoiler: show
Spawn has appeared in a few video games, but he originated as a comic book character about 25 years ago!

Mr Boboo
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Flair: The Wicked Pissah
Current Project: Super Mario & the Journey to Everlast
Chat Username: Roberto

Postby Mr Boboo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:07 pm

A Spawn-themed episode? With Doom enemies? You don't see that every day.

Anyhow, the project so far is really, really cool. The graphics and the music are quite appealing, and for someone's first episode, the levels are suprisingly well-designed. I also like that's more difficult, maybe there can finally be another episode with some big challenge. I'll be following this as you make progress. Best of luck!
I shall return with a new episode...... soon.

Check out my Mega Man Maker levels!
Breakneck Quarry: ID 189213
Flash Freeze: Coming soon

I support:

ShadowRider
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby ShadowRider » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:39 am

the Spawn sprite is from the SNES Spawn game. Spawn is a creation of Todd McFarlane, and is the main character in graphic novel/comic book series, live action movie (which kinda sucked, except for the evil clown), animated movie & series. Spawn issue #1 was May 1992.

Yes, many of the baddies are Doom II sprites, a few are from Castlevania. I thought it would be suitable for an underworld theme.

I was playing the final stage (boss fights) with my buddy last night, I made a few changes to make it easier. It was just too damn hard with the spiked walls that close in and crush you if you don't kill the first round of baddies quick enough. It also glitched often, having a baddie get stuck behind the wall so you can't kill it, so you get crushed.
I really liked the idea of having that challenge, but i think it's too much. I also added some red cape (mushroom) power ups in the final boss fight, they come up out of a pipe every 10 seconds.

There are a lot of power ups & free lives through the game because I found it was too difficult in 2 player mode. It's might be overkill for single player, but whatever. I figure since Spawn is already dead and in the underworld, might as well have infinite lives. It also balances out the difficulty of the game.

As much fun as SMBX is, I don't think I'm going to make another SMBX episode. I want to learn more code and make an original game. Long term goal.

BoomBomber
Bob-omb
Bob-omb

Postby BoomBomber » Wed May 13, 2020 12:44 pm

Where can I find the episode of Unforgiving Fortress? Since you mentioned it, I thought you would know.

Added in 6 minutes 44 seconds:
Sorry about that. I just realized something. I don't need that episode anymore. Again sorry.

Return to “Episodes”