SMWCX version 1.21 (SMBX 1.3)

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

SMWCX version 1.21 (SMBX 1.3)

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:34 am

The Mushroom Kingdom has experienced a long time of peace ever since Bowser decided to stop kidnapping princesses and to take up golf and kart racing as hobbies instead. Because of this, the former defense castle is being turned into an art history museum (with a focus on paintings). However, something strange is going on: the nearby power stars are being drawn into the paintings, no pun intended, and making the paintings come alive to an extent (beings in the paintings can move, but can't leave the paintings). Everyone knows it can't be the work of Bowser since he's off in the Beanbean Kindom participating in the big game, so Mario and co. are called in to investigate what's going on (not like they had anything to do that day, anyway).

Yes, that's right. The SMWC collab you've all been waiting for is finally here! No, VLDC 9 will be released soon. Yes, I know that SMWCP2 will be released later this year. I'm talking of course about SMWCX! After over three long years of nothing happening development, it's finally complete! Worried about outdated design choices bringing the episode down? Don't be: our expert team of two guys has thoroughly play-tested the episode to make sure that the difficulty curve stays consistent and that the episode is as enjoyable as possible. This episode will not disappoint you unless you get disappointed by it.

In this episode, all the levels are represented by paintings, meaning they're only limited by the artist's imagination (and SMBX 1.3, obviously). Some artists create paintings of simpler times, back when the land was just a flat expanse of grass speckled with the occasional Goomba. Some create paintings depicting battles of the past, back when Bowser used to be a villain and had an army of tanks. Still, others create paintings of alternate realities, with their own peaceful times and epic battles. Then you have those who just put a stick figure on a canvas and call it "art."

Features:
Easy paintings
Difficult paintings
Short paintings
Long paintings
Secret paintings
Smart paintings
Dumb paintings
Unique paintings
Re-purposed paintings
Old paintings
Older paintings
Bouncy paintings
Artistic and moving paintings
A stick figure on a canvas (whether it's a painting or not is debatable)
Stained glass
A painting pretending to be stained glass
A Shroomship
A series of plants (whether it's a garden or not is debatable)
Full compatibility with SMBX 1.3
Partial compatibility with SMBX + LunaLua (still not sure how that works).

That's not a joke, either. For whatever reason, the way LunaLua works, it crashes not long into The Finale, even though the level works perfectly in SMBX 1.3. That's why it's at least recommended to keep a version of SMBX 1.3 as backup if you decide to play the episode with LunaLua; that way, you can just move the episode folder when you reach The Finale.

Here's some screenshots:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
EDIT: Version 1.01 is out!

Changes:
- 1-ups have been added to the hub.
- The boss in Bowser's Dark Castle has been given another overhaul.
- A couple typos have been fixed.

Patch to upgrade v. 1.0 to v. 1.2

Patch to upgrade v. 1.2 to v. 1.2.1

Link to the thread on SMW Central
Last edited by Imaynotbehere4long on Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Pseudo
Peach
Peach

Re: SMWCX version 1.0 (SMBX 1.3)

Postby Pseudo » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:15 am

So, this is finally finished! Nice! I'll have to give it a try, SMW Central stuff is always exciting.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

MegaMario2
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby MegaMario2 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:11 am

The best.

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg

Postby HeroLinik » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:30 am

MegaMario2 wrote:The best.
Don't make useless posts like that. Be more constructive.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

CynicHost
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Flair: heck

Postby CynicHost » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:11 am

Looks great, gonna give this a play.

Alucard648
Rex
Rex

Postby Alucard648 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:42 am

I found this episode really difficult as early as W4. Ran out of lives (Yes, got game over, even though had about 50 lives before entering W3) and rage-quit. Forced grinding for 1ups that early is not fun.

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:26 pm

Alucard648 wrote:I found this episode really difficult as early as W4. Ran out of lives (Yes, got game over, even though had about 50 lives before entering W3) and rage-quit. Forced grinding for 1ups that early is not fun.
Don't worry; we're working on a patch that makes the W4 end-boss easier and adds 1-ups to the hub (so you won't have to force yourself to grind for them). I can't say when it will be out since I have to wait on approval from Blue Leaf, who then has to wait for the admins to reupload the episode to SMWC.
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
mechamind wrote:
My SMBX portfolio:
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Alucard648
Rex
Rex

Postby Alucard648 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:23 pm

Also had some more issues:
1. Sticks and pricks: Needs to add a hint on finding that invisible shoe block. Without the shoe, I found the 1st section of this level as difficult as W6-early W7 level. On the other side, I have managed to beat 2nd section, after checkpoint, on my 1st try.
2. Spookier ghost house. Never be able to beat tetris-like section. Spammed to unavoidable death (no power-ups!) by huge swarm of boos near the end.
3. MagmaRock Galaxy. "Lava-Vator" section. Elevator rises too fast for W2 level, and HUD sometimes obscures already hard-to see hazards. Add a few more enemies, and you will end up with genuine W8 level.
That`s all for now.

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Re: SMWCX version 1.01 (SMBX 1.3)

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:24 pm

Version 1.01 is out!
http://media.smwcentral.net/SMWCX/SMWCX%201.01.zip

Changes:
- 1-ups have been added to the hub.
- The boss in Bowser's Dark Castle has been given another overhaul.
- A couple typos have been fixed.

For those who already downloaded v 1.00 and don't want to have to download the entire episode again, here's a "patch only" download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x42kmjv7fcsga ... y.zip?dl=0
Alucard648 wrote:2. Spookier ghost house. Never be able to beat tetris-like section. Spammed to unavoidable death (no power-ups!) by huge swarm of boos near the end.
Tip: Don't just stand still and let the Boos come to you; turn around quickly and repeatedly to keep them at bay. Also, use spin-jump for the lower platforms. You'll find that section to be much easier if you follow this advice.
Alucard648 wrote:3. MagmaRock Galaxy. "Lava-Vator" section. Elevator rises too fast for W2 level, and HUD sometimes obscures already hard-to see hazards. Add a few more enemies, and you will end up with genuine W8 level.
World 8 in normal Mario standards, or World 8 in SMWCX standards??
Anyway, the first half has an easy-to-follow coin trail. For the second half, stay relatively close to the center and you'll find that most of the flames won't require you to move at all. Also, don't forget that you can spin-jump on the Grinder; it makes staying in the center much easier, and I can't imagine trying to play that part of the level without it.
Alucard648 wrote:1. Sticks and pricks: Needs to add a hint on finding that invisible shoe block. Without the shoe, I found the 1st section of this level as difficult as W6-early W7 level. On the other side, I have managed to beat 2nd section, after checkpoint, on my 1st try.
The shoe is only supposed to be for the secret, but the disparity between the difficulty of the first and second half was something we've been having trouble with for a while. However, due to your last two issues, I'm going to assume that you haven't been using the spin-jump, as it makes getting past the Nippers (and certain Piranha Plants) much easier since Nippers and Piranha Plants can't bite through a spin-jump.

Let me know if you still have issues with those parts, or if you have any more issues.
Last edited by Imaynotbehere4long on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mechamind wrote:
My SMBX portfolio:

Alucard648
Rex
Rex

Postby Alucard648 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:19 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
Alucard648 wrote:3. MagmaRock Galaxy. "Lava-Vator" section. Elevator rises too fast for W2 level, and HUD sometimes obscures already hard-to see hazards. Add a few more enemies, and you will end up with genuine W8 level.
World 8 in normal Mario standards, or World 8 in SMWCX standards??
Anyway, the first half has an easy-to-follow coin trail. For the second half, stay relatively close to the center and you'll find that most of the flames won't require you to move at all. Also, don't forget that you can spin-jump on the Grinder; it makes staying in the center much easier, and I can't imagine trying to play that part of the level without it.
Alucard648 wrote:1. Sticks and pricks: Needs to add a hint on finding that invisible shoe block. Without the shoe, I found the 1st section of this level as difficult as W6-early W7 level. On the other side, I have managed to beat 2nd section, after checkpoint, on my 1st try.
The shoe is only supposed to be for the secret, but the disparity between the difficulty of the first and second half was something we've been having trouble with for a while. However, due to your last two issues, I'm going to assume that you haven't been using the spin-jump, as it makes getting past the Nippers (and certain Piranha Plants) much easier since Nippers and Piranha Plants can't bite through a spin-jump.

Let me know if you still have issues with those parts, or if you have any more issues.
Now try to do both these levels as Peach, who can`t spin-jump. Especially MagmaRock Galaxy because character switch blocks need access to W3 to use.
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:World 8 in normal Mario standards, or World 8 in SMWCX standards??
World 8 in normal Mario standards/W5 in SMWCX standarts.

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:08 pm

Alucard648 wrote:character switch blocks need access to W3 to use.
What are you talking about? There are character switch blocks at the beginning of world 1 and 2, even in v. 1.00.

I admit that most of the levels weren't designed with Peach in mind, though.
mechamind wrote:
My SMBX portfolio:

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Re: SMWCX version 1.2 (SMBX 1.3)

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:50 pm

Version 1.2 is out!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ensjt9843gdim ... y.zip?dl=0

This update includes misc. bug fixes and difficulty re-balancing for much of the late game. It also switches the last level of world 4 with the last level of world 5.
mechamind wrote:
My SMBX portfolio:

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Re: SMWCX version 1.2 (SMBX 1.3)

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:21 pm

New update: turns out we forgot to update the hub after changing the total number of stars, so if you updated to v 1.2, you'll need to download this as well:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6izgun524fin5 ... B.lvl?dl=0
mechamind wrote:
My SMBX portfolio:

Ethereality
Banned

Re: SMWCX version 1.21 (SMBX 1.3)

Postby Ethereality » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:18 pm

Great update! The episode looks excellent! This episode looks a collaboration project made by SMW Central, especially for staffs, admins, and members for a collaboration project SMWCX. I'll play later! Good job, SMWCX and SMW Central members!

I support projects:

ImageImage

I support GFX Packs:

My projects:

Coming soon...

My awesome IRC quotes:

<Berkian> My username "Berkian" congrats 2 years in SMBX!!! YAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!
Damn, RudeGuy! You are devil!

What Mario Character are you?
Your Result: Mario
Your Result is: Mario! You love to dance and you hate getting trapped by Bowser, your worst foe. What can be worse than getting trapped by Bowser, anyways?
Result Breakdown:
60% Mario
60% Luigi
60% Yoshi
20% Princess Peach
0% Wario

Quiz Created on GoTo Quiz

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:12 am

Is this actually compatible with SMBX 1.3.0.1 or do I need to find the old SMBX 1.3 to play this?
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:27 pm

Supershroom wrote:Is this actually compatible with SMBX 1.3.0.1
Yes, it is compatible. Remember that 1.3.0.1 only replaced the default songs and some graphics, so it's not that different from 1.3. Heck, you could play this in 1.3.0.0X if you wanted to.

Just make sure the SMBX build you're using doesn't have Lua.
mechamind wrote:
My SMBX portfolio:

arcade999
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby arcade999 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:38 pm

wow! that look a bit like MKF
check out my (shitpost) youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-fkps ... oRYc6XtNxQ
check out my discord server: https://discord.gg/nAjhRGb
check out my forum: http://arcade999forum.freeforums.net/
StickGuyGamez wrote:BRING ME BACK TO PENIS
Super Nick Bros X wrote:bruh
RTisBack wrote:Jesus christ isn't a lord/god you piece of human with no brain, and i mean that allah is the only one god.
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
arcade999 wrote:do using ms paint make me a bad human being?
No. It makes you a great veteran and someone who deserves respect...

unless you use Windows 7 paint
Noodle wrote:Danny is a crapposter. (I was in school when I typed this)
Snessy the duck wrote:
Electriking wrote:What the fuck is going on with this topic?
I have no idea. This guy honestly seems like a bot.

Return to “Episodes”