The Restoration (little update!! New check-points and more!!!)

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature a completed SMBX episode accompanied with screenshots?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Shinbison-Kof
Lakitu
Lakitu

Re: The Restoration

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:50 pm

Supershroom wrote:I spoke to him and he said something starting with "did you meet Peach up there" and nothing else happened.
Error fixed! Try replace this archive in the folder of the episode! ;)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/onwgy6vf19h7b ... e.lvl?dl=0

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:58 pm

Hey, this episode looks pretty good from what I've seen of the screens! Imma try it out sometime!

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:14 am

Well, I don't like the mocking "this is so foggy you don't see anything". Yeah, there is a lot of fog, but it never damaged the enjoyability of this episode at any time. This episode was in development for a long time, and it turned out to be just really awesome. Maybe if there's one thing to criticize, I would have wished for a final battle after the last level on Purplish Moon.

I've finished this today with 21 stars, and it was lots of fun.

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

Shinbison-Kof
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:42 am

Supershroom wrote:Well, I don't like the mocking "this is so foggy you don't see anything". Yeah, there is a lot of fog, but it never damaged the enjoyability of this episode at any time. This episode was in development for a long time, and it turned out to be just really awesome. Maybe if there's one thing to criticize, I would have wished for a final battle after the last level on Purplish Moon.

I've finished this today with 21 stars, and it was lots of fun.
Wow, it's nice to see that someone finished it! Thanks for your feedback and I glad you was liked my episode! :)
Snessy the duck wrote:Hey, this episode looks pretty good from what I've seen of the screens! Imma try it out sometime!
Thanks, I hope you enjoy it!!

Tiger Festival
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Tiger Festival » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:50 am

I see Link's graphics in the folder of the game. What's up with that?
Spoiler: show

Shinbison-Kof
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:07 am

Tiger Festival wrote:I see Link's graphics in the folder of the game. What's up with that?
These graphics are of the character that I tried make, but isn't finished. (W.I.P)

bossedit8
Toad
Toad
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:11 am

Took a while but there ya go... 1st part of my playthrough:

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-2UmYfP4_c
Last edited by bossedit8 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:02 am

bossedit8 wrote:Took a while but there ya go... 1st part of my playthrough:

Thanks for reminding me to start recording SMBX again.

ImageImageImage

Kyogre
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Life
Chat Username: Silberstein

Postby Kyogre » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:59 pm

I just played 50% of this and it's one of my favorite so far.
great performance keep it up! :D
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEcasX ... BlHGnj-ttw

Discord: Silberstein (#2409)

Sorry for my bad english, Im from Germany.

Ich habe gelernt der größte Schmerz geht auch vorüber, komm reiß mir ein Bein aus, doch ich laufe weiter Tausendfüßler

Tiger Festival
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Tiger Festival » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:28 pm

I really enjoy this in spite of Link not being able to complete every level.

Thehelmetguy1
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: Embrance the dorkness
Current Project: World domination

Postby Thehelmetguy1 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:43 pm

Seems interesting. I will play this episode
I believe in Jesus Christ as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature
Read the worst webcomic on the forums!
My greatest forum achievement:

Shinbison-Kof
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:55 am

Thanks everyone for the nice comments! ;)
bossedit8 wrote:Took a while but there ya go... 1st part of my playthrough:

I was veryyyy anxious for it! Thanks for this gameplay, it helped a lot in show my project! :)

bossedit8
Toad
Toad
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:58 am

Last edited by bossedit8 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:13 am

So I made it to the Ninji forest (easily my favourite level so far as it's kinda the only one with personality) and I gotta ask: Why does the level have multiple exits? The boss unlocks both paths on the map but there's no indication for it so someone like me who finds the other exit first can get elvery easily confused. I ended up looking in the editor because I assumed you set a path unlock condition wrong.
Other bones I have to pick with this:
-Castle 3 spawns you right at the boss
-Some dialogue, especially in the forest, is in a language I can't read.
-Some levels are really, really hard to look at. I find it stunning in how many ways this game managed to unintentionally mess with my head. There are levels that are darkened or desaturated to the point where some enemies become almost invisible, duo and monocoloured levels that made me think I'm colourblind, levels where the foreground is almost indistinguishable from the background, and levels where palette contrast made progressing an actual pain. Interestingly enough, the level with the toad who complains about the grass hurting his eyes was one of the more pleasant levels to look at. The aesthetic is really invasive sometimes and cuts right through the gameplay experience. There's this level with foreground leaves and moving vines where you gotta cling onto the moving layers which I couldn't tolerate at all thanks to literally everything looking solid.
-Random platforms out of nowhere. It's not a big deal if linked to an event chain, as thosejust make me go "what's the point?". The problem comes when ?-Blocks drop onto you out of the sky right as you try to jump over enemies, pushing you into them and causing you to take a hit. You can't see it coming unless you play every level REALLY carefully and just anticipate these lunatic platforms. Also, having an entire block structure suddenly appearing in my face (starry level in the beginning of world 4) is just kind of a dick move to the player because they already planned their movements based on their surroundings but suddenly the level is entirely different.
-The most pleasant level of world 1 is entirely optional. Really just a nitpick, but I don't see why the prettiest level of the world is skippable while I gotta play through 3 desaturated levels that look and play the same.
-Speaking of that, most levels are actually the same. Yes, using bubbles, moving layers, tnt plungers counts as a gimmick to make levels stand out, but when a lot of levels use them, none of them really stand out anymore. The only level which made me go "oh that's clever" is the one in world 1 with the moving platform generators. And that level could've done so much more with that idea! Aside from that, a majority of the fun I had while playing this wasn't from playing the game, but from joking about questionable decisions.

I'll probably give some more in-depth feedback with screenshots and whatever later.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shinbison-Kof
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:24 am

@Bossedit8: Thanks! I really like your videos! :D ( I expected a commentator in these videos XD)
Enjl wrote:So I made it to the Ninji forest (easily my favourite level so far as it's kinda the only one with personality) and I gotta ask: Why does the level have multiple exits? The boss unlocks both paths on the map but there's no indication for it so someone like me who finds the other exit first can get elvery easily confused. I ended up looking in the editor because I assumed you set a path unlock condition wrong.
Other bones I have to pick with this:
-Castle 3 spawns you right at the boss
-Some dialogue, especially in the forest, is in a language I can't read.
-Some levels are really, really hard to look at. I find it stunning in how many ways this game managed to unintentionally mess with my head. There are levels that are darkened or desaturated to the point where some enemies become almost invisible, duo and monocoloured levels that made me think I'm colourblind, levels where the foreground is almost indistinguishable from the background, and levels where palette contrast made progressing an actual pain. Interestingly enough, the level with the toad who complains about the grass hurting his eyes was one of the more pleasant levels to look at. The aesthetic is really invasive sometimes and cuts right through the gameplay experience. There's this level with foreground leaves and moving vines where you gotta cling onto the moving layers which I couldn't tolerate at all thanks to literally everything looking solid.
-Random platforms out of nowhere. It's not a big deal if linked to an event chain, as thosejust make me go "what's the point?". The problem comes when ?-Blocks drop onto you out of the sky right as you try to jump over enemies, pushing you into them and causing you to take a hit. You can't see it coming unless you play every level REALLY carefully and just anticipate these lunatic platforms. Also, having an entire block structure suddenly appearing in my face (starry level in the beginning of world 4) is just kind of a dick move to the player because they already planned their movements based on their surroundings but suddenly the level is entirely different.
-The most pleasant level of world 1 is entirely optional. Really just a nitpick, but I don't see why the prettiest level of the world is skippable while I gotta play through 3 desaturated levels that look and play the same.
-Speaking of that, most levels are actually the same. Yes, using bubbles, moving layers, tnt plungers counts as a gimmick to make levels stand out, but when a lot of levels use them, none of them really stand out anymore. The only level which made me go "oh that's clever" is the one in world 1 with the moving platform generators. And that level could've done so much more with that idea! Aside from that, a majority of the fun I had while playing this wasn't from playing the game, but from joking about questionable decisions.

I'll probably give some more in-depth feedback with screenshots and whatever later.
Thanks for your feedback, I really like the points that you have commented.

About "most levels are actually the same", I confess I really tried make "differents essences" in all levels, this was hard, because my level design was modified since 2012, and this episode have levels of 2012 ( the smbx community design was modified so much). If I make other episode today, I will have more attention with this aspect. In this same topic, I can explain about the moving platorms and surprise blocks, I personaly think this cool, especially, because this give more challenger in the levels, but this is subjective. I understand you about the "fall/surprise" blocks, especially when the player tries jump in npcs in the same time. I'll try have more attention with this!

About the graphics, sorry if some levels are hard to see. While I was doing this episode, I was with a "hype" with my own custom graphics, I never imagined that some them were hard to see, in the next time, I'll darken more these bgos in comparision with these tilesets.

About my grammar, my english is so basic, everything I was learned, was in the internet, I know I really need improve it, but I don't have anyone that can help me with the translations. (Portuguese already is so hard to know all rules XD)

I think my worst mistake was post this episode so late, because the current community design is other totally different, is so hard to see someone that like the smbx community design like 2012/2014, especially because now exist luna lua etc...
Please, try to see this episode with a vision about the old smbx community design, I know we are in the "future", but my episode was based in the old smbx level design! ( I work in this since 2012).

Thanks for your feedback, I'm happy with this! I'll try fix these errors, and all reviews are welcome!

PS: (Sorry if you don't understand anything that I says, but is hard to me write an text like this, especially in english)

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:43 am

I don't think there is anything wrong with your essential "style" of designing levels or the lateness of you posting this, I just feel like the levels would be much more interesting if they had one idea which they focused around. You do this in some levels, but a lot of them take from the same pool of generic stuff that can be found in every other level.
For example: The tree level with the foreground leaves would've been super interesting if the level was designed around enemies and rewards hiding behind the leaves, while the player still has enough time to see them coming so that it doesn't become unfair. It'd be a clever way to tie the aesthetic into the design and adds to the generic "wait for the moving layers and then ride them".
There is a level where you put stuff into bubbles and gave the player a billy gun. That part of the level is kind of trivialised by the fact that most npcs in the bubbles die to the billy gun, so it would've been great to see grinders or other bullet-immune enemies posing a thread. Instead, it felt like an easier version of the level 2 levels prior.
One good thing to keep in mind is asking yourself this for the levels you create: "What do I want players to remember about this level?" The ninji level is a good example for this, imo, as, as you can see, I can refer to it as "the ninji level" and you immediately know which one I'm talking about. Stuff like this can go from small touches of personality to level-defining, complicated gimmicks. Having one for each level you make, though, will guarantee that your game will have a lasting impact on the player and feel much more diverse.
ImageImageImageImage

Shinbison-Kof
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:11 am

Enjl wrote:I don't think there is anything wrong with your essential "style" of designing levels or the lateness of you posting this, I just feel like the levels would be much more interesting if they had one idea which they focused around. You do this in some levels, but a lot of them take from the same pool of generic stuff that can be found in every other level.
For example: The tree level with the foreground leaves would've been super interesting if the level was designed around enemies and rewards hiding behind the leaves, while the player still has enough time to see them coming so that it doesn't become unfair. It'd be a clever way to tie the aesthetic into the design and adds to the generic "wait for the moving layers and then ride them".
There is a level where you put stuff into bubbles and gave the player a billy gun. That part of the level is kind of trivialised by the fact that most npcs in the bubbles die to the billy gun, so it would've been great to see grinders or other bullet-immune enemies posing a thread. Instead, it felt like an easier version of the level 2 levels prior.
One good thing to keep in mind is asking yourself this for the levels you create: "What do I want players to remember about this level?" The ninji level is a good example for this, imo, as, as you can see, I can refer to it as "the ninji level" and you immediately know which one I'm talking about. Stuff like this can go from small touches of personality to level-defining, complicated gimmicks. Having one for each level you make, though, will guarantee that your game will have a lasting impact on the player and feel much more diverse.
Wow this words are great! Certainly I'll take this into account in the next levels. I really need '' Extract more '' about that the level have the offer ( maybe I could not see it when I was doing this episode, because I was anxious to release this as fast as possible). I wanted remove the old levels, but i felt it would be a lost time. Sorry if I can't do it in this episode, now , I'll only fix the erros, because it would need a big modification. Thanks again!!

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:19 am

Don't worry too much about giving these levels overhauls. It would be too much work for what it's worth. Just think about all the cool new levels you could be working on instead!
That's not to say fixing bugs isn't important. The "spawning at the midpoint in the desert fortress" thing should probably be fixed ;P
ImageImageImageImage

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:13 pm

Enjl wrote:easily my favourite level so far as it's kinda the only one with personality
Excuse me but that's too harsh (unless you mean a different thing with "personality" than I do). The entire episode has tons of personality. I agree that it's repetitive in some way but still it's top quality and some levels did really well in CCs.

Also the difficulty is pretty alright and the visuality isn't this horrible either. It happened to me as well a few times that an obstacle was too camouflaged, but then I just remembered it and it didn't hurt my enjoyment too much.

Also as a bug, I guess I didn't say this already, in the star world the checkpoints are disfunctional. If you die after the check, you're warped to the world map and you'll enter the hub first before reentering the level.

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

Sancles-Chan
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: dumb bitch energy

Postby Sancles-Chan » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:16 pm

Supershroom wrote:The entire episode has tons of personality. I agree that it's repetitive in some way
How do you contradict yourself in that short of a time span. Do you even know what personality means?
certified dumb bitch

Return to “Episodes”