The Restoration (little update!! New check-points and more!!!)

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature a completed SMBX episode accompanied with screenshots?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Re: The Restoration

Postby Cedur » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:22 pm

Yes? Some kind of own designing style?
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:28 pm

Supershroom wrote:
Enjl wrote:easily my favourite level so far as it's kinda the only one with personality
Excuse me but that's too harsh (unless you mean a different thing with "personality" than I do). The entire episode has tons of personality. I agree that it's repetitive in some way but still it's top quality and some levels did really well in CCs.
To me, personality is basically a recognition factor. How memorable is the level and what makes it memorable? I played the episode last night and I can barely remember anything about World 1. The few things I do remember are low saturation and an out-of-place gloomy level with a surprisingly straightforward secret exit.
The ninji level is the only one so far where recognition for me doesn't hit in a kind of traumatic flashback. To name an example that's not the tree level - there's a pyramid level in the desert where the background tiles are barely distinguishable from the floor. Even knowing this I often mistook pathways for walls and it made progressing through the level more confusing than anything.
I also managed to completely miss a propeller block at the start of a propeller fall section because I literally couldn't see it, nor did I recognise the section for what it was.

Doing well in Community Contests doesn't make levels automatically top tier. It essentially means you did a good job at pandering to the judges of that particular contest. That doesn't mean everyone will enjoy it and it also doesn't serve as a "get out of jail free card" for mistakes that are present in a level.
Not to mention, levels for an episode, unlike contest levels, relate to one another. Having a contest level that isn't repetitive by itself is good for a contest, but says nothing about how well it would do placed next to dozens more levels by the same person. For contests, people often try to give it their all and especially in this community, the trend of combining as many gimmicks as possible isn't rarely seen. The downside is that you burn through your repetroire very quickly and all you have left if you wanna stick to your schedule is repeating what these levels did in the future levels you design for your game.
I won't argue that individual levels, like Ninji Place, have good quality to them. But at the same time I'm not sold on the idea that these levels synergize well in a larger game. The more levels you have, the easier it is to forget some of them, and if that happens to your levels they're pretty much nothing but filler.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg

Postby Cedur » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:42 pm

Enjl wrote:I played the episode last night and I can barely remember anything about World 1.
That's a pretty common thing on big episodes to not remember every single level, heh. I replayed Airship Attack a while ago and it almost felt like playing it for the first time? In some hub episodes like Star Expedition or NGCA the levels are more recognizable solely to the nature of the episode (multiple themes and styles being mixed around, which may also come from a team of multiple designers). The ninji level is obviously memorable by its gimmick. I get your point about problematic visibility, but as a player you're also sometimes encouraged to be concentrated and not view everything superficially (that may also a plausible cause for mistaking foreground and background).

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
[ads]

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:01 pm

Supershroom wrote:I get your point about problematic visibility, but as a player you're also sometimes encouraged to be concentrated and not view everything superficially (that may also a plausible cause for mistaking foreground and background).
I disagree on your implication that it's the player's duty to make out objects in a level. The designer has full control over how the player will experience their game, and forcing them to adapt a new playstyle just to counteract invasive aesthetics is something that directly makes the gameplay experience less smooth.
For this game I can see it being a result of the lack of testing which is... really unfortunate. Testing is a really important part of finishing your game and it's really where you'd want to make it as accessible and smooth as possible. Fixing all the bugs, adding quality of life stuff, making small tweaks to make the experience better.
Supershroom wrote:
Enjl wrote:I played the episode last night and I can barely remember anything about World 1.
That's a pretty common thing on big episodes to not remember every single level, heh. I replayed Airship Attack a while ago and it almost felt like playing it for the first time? In some hub episodes like Star Expedition or NGCA the levels are more recognizable solely to the nature of the episode (multiple themes and styles being mixed around, which may also come from a team of multiple designers). The ninji level is obviously memorable by its gimmick.
Star Expedition's levels aren't more recognisable due to the nature of the episode, but rather because Chad went out of his way to give each level its own individual look and feel. It definitely is possible to make multiple desaturated levels that feel different, the theming just needs to be more pronounced. The ninji level didn't just have the enemy choice and original character and clever boss fight going for it. Its treetop theming is also very pronounced, making it feel like an area that stands out among the rest. The background even changes colour between sections, which is a small but really neat touch.

On the other hand you have some levels which seem to be confused about their theming and as a result don't feel like believable areas but rather like canvases with gimmicks splattered over them. Just dedicating an earlygame level to, say, monty moles would've helped greatly in giving that level more personality. And selecting any theme at all for a level helps greatly in gathering more ideas for it. Monty moles for example bring some unconventional NPC choices with them and inspire the addition of a mole cave in the level, be it just as a bonus room.

My point is that SMSE and NGCA's levels aren't more memorable because of the episode's "nature", but rather because more thought went into them.
ImageImageImageImage

Shinbison-Kof
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:35 pm

This discussion is interesting, because I can see so many point of view about this episode!! ;)

About the errors:

- Sorry but I don't know how fix the error of the check-point in the star hub, especially because it is warp room.

- About the map of the forest world, I divided it in two ways, because in this world have so many levels, and some them are tiring, therefore, I guess this was a good way for avoid that the player get tired of the episode, or avoid they think that episode is more long than necessary.

Fixed errors
Spoiler: show
Replace this archive in the folder of the episode!

The start point of the castle 3
http://www.mediafire.com/file/59meanwxs ... stle+3.lvl

Error of the level "Submarine Base"
https://www.dropbox.com/s/onwgy6vf19h7b ... e.lvl?dl=0

bossedit8
Banned
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:45 pm

Shinbison-Kof wrote:@Bossedit8: Thanks! I really like your videos! :D ( I expected a commentator in these videos XD)
There are videos where I commentate as a let's play, others not. Reason for that is by having variety of either talk about ingame or others to just pure gameplay footage without commentary. Honestly, doing commentary videos takes more effort to do aswell.

Anyway, more to come:

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd_5i_5pWBU
Last edited by bossedit8 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shinbison-Kof
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:43 am

bossedit8 wrote:
Shinbison-Kof wrote:@Bossedit8: Thanks! I really like your videos! :D ( I expected a commentator in these videos XD)
There are videos where I commentate as a let's play, others not. Reason for that is by having variety of either talk about ingame or others to just pure gameplay footage without commentary. Honestly, doing commentary videos takes more effort to do aswell.

Anyway, more to come:

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd_5i_5pWBU
No problem! Thanks again!!! ;)

bossedit8
Banned
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Re: The Restoration (Some errors fixed!)

Postby bossedit8 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:46 am

New video part:

Original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmyjMOqg-vc

xelaxon
Goomba
Goomba
Chat Username: xelaxon

Postby xelaxon » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:29 pm

Fantastic episode, one of my favorites. I do have one issue, though. The 6th boss of the game is unbeatable for me because of the lag the spark summoning attack generates, resulting in my game freezing up.

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg

Postby Cedur » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:22 am

The same happened to me, use the 2.0 beta.

[ads]

Shinbison-Kof
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:41 am

@Bossedit8: Thanks for the new video again! :)
xelaxon wrote:Fantastic episode, one of my favorites. I do have one issue, though. The 6th boss of the game is unbeatable for me because of the lag the spark summoning attack generates, resulting in my game freezing up.
Supershroom wrote:The same happened to me, use the 2.0 beta.
Thanks for the nice comment, I really appreciate it! I really hope you can play it again, sorry if this part causes lag! ;)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this guy have played all levels of the episode in single videos, if you have curiosity, let's go see it! :D

Original link:https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... cxWz56Tsju

Kixubug
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Current Project: Unknown
Chat Username: Kixu

Postby Kixubug » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:16 pm

This is really the very best episode, and please how did you make the logo with?
PLEASE NOTE: I often rarely used this site in case if I could. If you want to talk to me please Private Message me so I can answer your questions.

SOCIAL LINKS:
deivantArt: https://www.deviantart.com/kixubug
Twitter: https://twitter.com/kixubug
tumblr: https://kixibugstudios.tumblr.com/
The Three Main Mascots: show

RSupertheGreat
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: I'm the Unfounded Artist.
Current Project: TMC, M&L Dimensional Shift
Chat Username: RSuperPKEsper

Postby RSupertheGreat » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:56 pm

The101MarioGuy wrote:This is really the very best episode, and please how did you make the logo with?
If your lazy to experience to making logo, use Paint. Make a title name for your project, add a few decorations there(if you want) and if you are finished, save the image.

I rarely come here cus I preferred to be in Discord and anything outside of being in the forums.

The Untold Truth: show
Most people here don't assume my gender, feel free to use "they" and "them" as long as it doesn't refer to many people or something. But I'm of course a girl.
Imageyes i have g+ except its gonna get shut down soon rip
Best moments on Discord: show
Linkopolis: show
ImageImageImageImage
hi there signature reader

SupahKupah
Spiny
Spiny
Current Project: The Unknown Journey 3

Postby SupahKupah » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:08 pm

It's a great episode of one of my old friends I met long time ago in SMBX. You grew up a lot as a level designer, and sadly you're not going to make any more levels in the game. (Or at least that's what I think, since after that episode, I have not seen any level of you).... I wish good luck in your future projects in your personal life! ;)
Image Image Image

FirestarPlays
Pokey
Pokey
Current Project: Super Mario and the Plague of Valerius
Chat Username: Firestar

Postby FirestarPlays » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:26 pm

Well, well, well... World 2's boss is unbeatable. Shibinson-Kof, make the boss easier, please. If Bossedit8 couldn't pass without an invincibility cheat, who would ever beat the boss?

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:46 pm

FirestarPlays wrote:Well, well, well... World 2's boss is unbeatable. Shibinson-Kof, make the boss easier, please. If Bossedit8 couldn't pass without an invincibility cheat, who would ever beat the boss?
Sure it is.
ImageImageImageImage

FirestarPlays
Pokey
Pokey

Postby FirestarPlays » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:12 pm

im playing 1 player...

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:14 pm

Makes no differece. The boss is beatable. I beat it in singleplayer before.
ImageImageImageImage

FirestarPlays
Pokey
Pokey

Postby FirestarPlays » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:21 pm

nvm i just beat it >.< Thanks for the help Enjl! Really appreciated.

Shinbison-Kof
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:27 pm

Lol but the boss is easy, sorry if you think that the boss is hard, in the next time I will think better when make the other bosses and their difficulties!!

Return to “Episodes”