SMB: Back in Action (PATCH 3 IS RELEASED!)

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.

WHAT OF THESE OPTIONS WOULD YOU CHOOSE

the levels are ok
16%
i like that it doesn't have custom graphics
9%
it's terrible why did you make this
2%
the levels are pretty fast paced
4%
the levels are garbage
No votes
i hate this episode
No votes
i like this episode
20%
this is my favorite episode
2%
why doesn't this episode have custom graphics
11%
this episode is too simple
4%
i like the music
4%
i hate polls
27%

Total votes: 45
NightKawata
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Metanet Hunter -1
Chat Username: NightKawata

SMB: Back in Action (PATCH 3 IS RELEASED!)

Postby NightKawata » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:44 pm

FULL DISCLOSURE: I HAVE NOT MADE A MARIO EPISODE IN YEARS. IT'S NOT GOING TO BE GOOD.

SMB: Back in Action is a pipe dream amalgamation of levels that I made a while back, and finished up a couple of days or some time ago, I forgot.
It's got six worlds. I can't afford eight worlds. We might have some extra special worlds if anyone likes this malarky.

This episode does not have custom graphics, it's raw mario beginning to end, and it was designed to be a vanilla episode. I could have done better, but whoops.
This episode has a custom soundtrack, I'd like to believe it's pretty cool. It makes it 170MB, but it's pretty cool.

I made this episode because I could. Most of the levels are very short, somewhat like SMB3, a couple of them have some secrets, a couple of them have some powerups, I tried to make a Mario episode, it probably isn't very good, but it tries to be fast-paced, fluid, and simple.

This is a simple episode. This isn't an ambitious project. Mario is simple.
Bowser kidnapped Peach or something. Go save her. It's a Mario game, why do you want a complicated plot? Do you play a Mario game for the plot? You play it to murder innocent creatures. Go do that.

This episode is a statement. It's a curveball. It's a social commentary and a random package of levels all in one.

IMAGES

Here's six screenshots. Take it or leave it. There's no custom graphics, there isn't going to be any custom graphics, there might be in the second episode I make in thirty years, but that's out of the scope here.
This was meant to be a simple pack. It's got a world map too but I don't really care enough to show it since it's perfectly average at best, and mediocre at worst. Like this episode.
I don't care if it clashes. It probably does. It's going to clash. There aren't Mother Brains in this episode. I'm sorry.

PLAY IT NOW
GET THE SOUNDTRACK SO YOU HAVE CUSTOM MUSIC: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pajjy77dcc0rc ... k.zip?dl=0
GET THE LEVELS SO YOU HAVE AN ACTUAL EPISODE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/10c7ggqmtquye ... 3.zip?dl=0

(DLC) PUMPKIN HILL SPECIAL RANDOM PREVIEW LEVEL FOR SEQUEL: https://www.dropbox.com/s/61uu7yqb210bu ... l.zip?dl=0

If you already have the soundtrack from the original version, you won't need to update that. Just take the link to the levels and paste them over your levels directory so you have the latest patch of whatever shit-tier quality this episode gets tossed into. I like to think the "trash can," but some might consider "below average."
Yes, this episode is done. Or as done as I want it to be to release. You can kill Bowser. You can go through all six of these shitfuck worlds.

Here's your download link. Play it, appreciate the simplicity, go back to your regularly scheduled chaos.
I haven't made a Mario in a long time, and I made this episode with little to no practice making a Mario. It's like making a movie where you accept all the first takes. This is this episode.
To be fair, the last episode I made was Fluishant Kingdoms, and that fucking sucked. I wanna say it's better than that. Probably. You decide. Go play it.

I hope it's better than Super Luigi World.
Enjoy.
Last edited by NightKawata on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:08 am, edited 6 times in total.
Go play Metanet Hunter CD: http://store.steampowered.com/app/586570/
Go look at Metanet Hunter CD: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=15229

Code: Select all

>mario isn't canon, when you die he faces the screen

Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Re: SMB: Back in Action (FULL EP)

Postby Pseudo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:10 pm

Your description is so real. Definitely going to play this.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

HackPlayer7
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Mega Man Recrudesce

Postby HackPlayer7 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:34 pm

I'm kinda sick of now day episodes with really long levels that have a crap ton of custom smb3 recolored smw graphics.
By that I mean it's kinda rare to see something that has levels with varied styles and not smb3 over and over, you just made exactly what I was looking for.
That rewards you an A++
Some project I'm working onto.
Spoiler: show

NightKawata
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby NightKawata » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:45 pm

HackPlayer7 wrote:I'm kinda sick of now day episodes with really long levels that have a crap ton of custom smb3 recolored smw graphics.
By that I mean it's kinda rare to see something that has levels with varied styles and not smb3 over and over, you just made exactly what I was looking for.
That rewards you an A++
Good. You got the message I'm trying to achieve. Papa bless.
Pseudo wrote:Your description is so real. Definitely going to play this.
Hell yeah, you know it.

KILROCK
Swooper
Swooper

Postby KILROCK » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:03 am

Woah, you actually finished a project? I need to play this. I'll probably write something about the episode when I do.

And I agree with what's been said before about it - I don't think ambitious SMBX episodes are a bad thing in itself, but there's such an abundance of pretentious projects that an episode like this is necessary to show you don't need to go overboard on the high-concept stuff.

NightKawata
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby NightKawata » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:30 am

KILROCK wrote:Woah, you actually finished a project? I need to play this. I'll probably write something about the episode when I do.

And I agree with what's been said before about it - I don't think ambitious SMBX episodes are a bad thing in itself, but there's such an abundance of pretentious projects that an episode like this is necessary to show you don't need to go overboard on the high-concept stuff.
Hey man, I'm doing good with releasing stuff, I just got a game onto Steam not too long ago. :p
Ambitious is fine, over-ambitious is bad, and trying to go to 11 when you're only capable of 7 is usually a recipe for disaster. I don't knock people that shoot for the stars, but sometimes you gotta be strapped for the job.

CynicHost
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Flair: heck

Postby CynicHost » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:21 am

Thank you sir, for making this.

Ryuji231
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Ryuji231 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:03 pm

This was a great episode.

I demand a sequel. lol
I support:

NightKawata
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby NightKawata » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:26 pm

Ryuji231 wrote:This was a great episode.

I demand a sequel. lol
you're in luck sir, i have been working on a few levels for the sequel

it's gonna be ok

like danny devito

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: All toasters toast toast
Current Project: Nothing
Chat Username: practical

Postby Rhosty » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:37 pm

NightKawata wrote:
Ryuji231 wrote:This was a great episode.

I demand a sequel. lol
you're in luck sir, i have been working on a few levels for the sequel

it's gonna be ok

like danny devito
A sequel? You're already making another project? Damn you've been on fire lately.

NightKawata
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby NightKawata » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:13 am

practicalshorty014 wrote:A sequel? You're already making another project? Damn you've been on fire lately.
Damn straight son. First world's good to go, I'll probably just release it when it's done unless there's enough demand to see a preview of the thing for whatever reason.
It does have custom graphics. I know. I pussied out.

But these ones are pretty vanilla and guess what, the episode has effort put into it!!!

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:02 pm

Overall, I'm really enjoying this so far, love the sort of The Invasion 2 feel, although I have a few complaints regarding some bugs, such as how some pipes that were clearly meant to be enterable aren't (Like the one in A Link to The Woods and the secret warp to Super Cool Shrooms) and the fact that you can walk above some walls that you clearly shouldn't be able to. Also, when you finish a secret area in another level from a warp zone, you have to backtrack a lot, which is kinda annoying. There's also some cramped level design in some places which is kinda annoying.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

NightKawata
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby NightKawata » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:14 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:Overall, I'm really enjoying this so far, love the sort of The Invasion 2 feel, although I have a few complaints regarding some bugs, such as how some pipes that were clearly meant to be enterable aren't (Like the one in A Link to The Woods and the secret warp to Super Cool Shrooms) and the fact that you can walk above some walls that you clearly shouldn't be able to. Also, when you finish a secret area in another level from a warp zone, you have to backtrack a lot, which is kinda annoying. There's also some cramped level design in some places which is kinda annoying.
Remember kids, don't take drugs while making levels. Not that I did. But you know, don't.
We'll get the accidentally-deleted warps fixed soon.

That ship level is kind of just there and I'll see about tossing a pipe to get the game moving.

One thing I learned in PGE and that instantly sparked the demand for a sequel was that you can make levels at 50% scale, making the creation of levels 200% easier. So the next hit release is gonna try and be up there with the Invasion 2, and won't have some of the weirdly cramped design this one did. To be fair, this episode was mildly ironic.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Current Project: CCX1 level

Postby Cedur » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Yeah, "A link between worlds" is marked red, you would know that a secret exit would lead to the island right to it on the world map, and there's a switch leading to a pipe, but the pipe has no warp and the secret exist doesn't exist, and nothing leads to the island. If this was a prank and not a design flaw, it wasn't funny, just annoying. I've enjoyed the play thus far though.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshi's are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

NightKawata
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby NightKawata » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:36 pm

Supershroom wrote:Yeah, "A link between worlds" is marked red, you would know that a secret exit would lead to the island right to it on the world map, and there's a switch leading to a pipe, but the pipe has no warp and the secret exist doesn't exist, and nothing leads to the island. If this was a prank and not a design flaw, it wasn't funny, just annoying. I've enjoyed the play thus far though.
It's been patched now. I think I ended up forgetting about that a while back.
Stay tuned soon for the next episode, it'll have even more groovy levels.

It'll even have more powerup variety and fun factor. Everybody loves that.

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Re: SMB: Back in Action (FULL EP, PATCH 1)

Postby Snessy the duck » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:02 am

So, I'm still having some issues. The warp in A link between Woods is there, although it leads the same way as the normal exit, and when inspecting the world map, it seems that the right path is unlocked by a SMW keyhole, is that intentional? And can you even lift is still missing a warp. Also, super cool zone doesn't even exist.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

NightKawata
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby NightKawata » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:So, I'm still having some issues. The warp in A link between Woods is there, although it leads the same way as the normal exit, and when inspecting the world map, it seems that the right path is unlocked by a SMW keyhole, is that intentional? And can you even lift is still missing a warp. Also, super cool zone doesn't even exist.
What is super cool zone? I don't even remember. :p

EDIT: never mind, I need to stop doing all the drugs. Yeah that's gonna get replaced with a star.
I can safely say the sequel won't have as much drugged up omake elements, but I also built a new computer and didn't back up my episode, so it's gonna get remade.

It's all good, it'll be the hit banger that actually had effort put into it.

Pseudo
Peach
Peach

Postby Pseudo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:02 pm

I decided to make a Let's Play of this episode. I like it so far! Here's the first (edit: and second) parts:

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

NightKawata
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby NightKawata » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:00 pm

Pseudo wrote:I decided to make a Let's Play of this episode. I like it so far! Here's the first part:

Welp. Guess who just got some more ideas.
I might add a few more levels to SMB: Back in Action, but I am pretty focused on making a brand new episode that keeps things fresh.
Maybe I'll do both.

Loved the video. Good stuff.
Liked the callback to when I made an overly long post bashing every bit of Mario Editor. :p

Pseudo
Peach
Peach

Postby Pseudo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:04 pm

^
Thanks for the feedback! Glad you liked the video. Part 2 was posted right after you posted that in case you missed it.

- a spam account, 2016

Return to “Episodes”