Super Mario Bros. 0

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others. Outstanding episodes will be featured monthly.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature a completed SMBX episode accompanied with screenshots?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
TheNewGuy
Ninji
Ninji
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:32 am
Chat Username: TNG
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Bros. 0

Postby TheNewGuy » Tue May 29, 2018 8:04 am

Cedur wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 6:53 am
how is one supposed to reach the secret exit in 3-1, as there's no going to the left?

Anyway this episode is atrocious in terms of difficulty, even if you replace all poison mushrooms at level starts with normal mushrooms, there are too many unfair places left
It's in a pipe in a pipe. You have to hit the hidden blocks when the pipe is barely on screen.
I believe in my signature as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Eri7
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 459
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Flair: The Goal of all Life is Death
Current Project: Super Mario Nova Part 1(38A)
Location: Bonn , Germany
Chat Username: Eri7
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Bros. 0

Postby Eri7 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:51 am

Electriking wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 4:16 am
Softster-SMBX wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:29 pm
First off, The game is easy in the first to second world but gets harder after that, Because I'm really having hard times on each level the time that I played the world zero levels made me want to rage and I must say that the plot is really weird at some point I did completed World 1 through World G and got 15 stars but not World 0. and I edited World 8-4, D-4, E-4 and F-4 because of it's difficulty and BrokenAce555 if you are watching this I will not give this episode I high score instead I will give it...


Final Score
5.0/10
So you decreased your rating because the episode is hard.
:thinking:
I don't see why should that be a problem(even if you didn't say that its a problem) , if a game is too hard for me I won't have any fun playing it and because of that I will reduce the score I would give to that certain game.
Join the discord server about Nova Projects.
Image
Image
Image

I support:
Image

User avatar
Softster-SMBX
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:17 am

Re: Super Mario Bros. 0

Postby Softster-SMBX » Tue May 29, 2018 1:03 pm

Electriking wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 4:16 am
Softster-SMBX wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:29 pm
First off, The game is easy in the first to second world but gets harder after that, Because I'm really having hard times on each level the time that I played the world zero levels made me want to rage and I must say that the plot is really weird at some point I did completed World 1 through World G and got 15 stars but not World 0. and I edited World 8-4, D-4, E-4 and F-4 because of it's difficulty and BrokenAce555 if you are watching this I will not give this episode I high score instead I will give it...


Final Score
5.0/10
So you decreased your rating because the episode is hard.
:thinking:



First off, the episode is quite hard not just the episode it's hard but it's plot. The plot is still weird and awkward in my opinion the same thing peach gets kidnapped everytime, besides this episode is very unoriginal, because of it's special world's even this is actually a prequel it should have a unique plot that same plot over and over again. Besides I got sick and tired of it's bad story lines besides at least the gameplay is okay. But there are lack of level gimmicks and lack of level design in few levels (not a lot of levels has one.) So that's this episode is mediocre for some reason, In my opinion I didn't enjoy the episode that much.

User avatar
Electriking
Bowser
Bowser
Posts: 3535
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:32 pm
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here.
Current Project: Not Mushroom Kingdom Massacre ATM
Location: Earth (Which is NOT flat)
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Re: Super Mario Bros. 0

Postby Electriking » Tue May 29, 2018 1:56 pm

Eri7 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:51 am
Electriking wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 4:16 am
Softster-SMBX wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:29 pm
First off, The game is easy in the first to second world but gets harder after that, Because I'm really having hard times on each level the time that I played the world zero levels made me want to rage and I must say that the plot is really weird at some point I did completed World 1 through World G and got 15 stars but not World 0. and I edited World 8-4, D-4, E-4 and F-4 because of it's difficulty and BrokenAce555 if you are watching this I will not give this episode I high score instead I will give it...


Final Score
5.0/10
So you decreased your rating because the episode is hard.
:thinking:
I don't see why should that be a problem(even if you didn't say that its a problem) , if a game is too hard for me I won't have any fun playing it and because of that I will reduce the score I would give to that certain game.
The problem is that you are basically judging based on one arbituary standard, as if it is an average episode, and not judging for what the episode is. This episode is clearly meant to be a hard episode, and therefore should be judged like a hard episode, rather than a regular episode, and there is no reason to reduce score for difficulty therfore. If you don't like hard episodes, then perhaps refrain from judging instead of reducing its score for the difficulty if that is going to affect how you judge in a negative manner.
Softster-SMBX wrote:
Electriking wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 4:16 am
Softster-SMBX wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:29 pm
First off, The game is easy in the first to second world but gets harder after that, Because I'm really having hard times on each level the time that I played the world zero levels made me want to rage and I must say that the plot is really weird at some point I did completed World 1 through World G and got 15 stars but not World 0. and I edited World 8-4, D-4, E-4 and F-4 because of it's difficulty and BrokenAce555 if you are watching this I will not give this episode I high score instead I will give it...


Final Score
5.0/10
So you decreased your rating because the episode is hard.
:thinking:



First off, the episode is quite hard not just the episode it's hard but it's plot. The plot is still weird and awkward in my opinion the same thing peach gets kidnapped everytime, besides this episode is very unoriginal, because of it's special world's even this is actually a prequel it should have a unique plot that same plot over and over again. Besides I got sick and tired of it's bad story lines besides at least the gameplay is okay. But there are lack of level gimmicks and lack of level design in few levels (not a lot of levels has one.) So that's this episode is mediocre for some reason, In my opinion I didn't enjoy the episode that much.
Both of which are generally bad reasons to reduce your score.

I think it is safe to say both of you could be referred to this post.
Join my Discord server
Check out Mushroom Kingdom Massacre. We need team members
My Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2812-3564-4900
Quotes: show
Horikawa Otane wrote:lol
thehelmetguy1 wrote:I wonder who was the idiot that made the fake beta 4 announcement
Enjl wrote:Apologies for knowing how to research.
PixelPest wrote:
The0x539 wrote:
IceQracker92 wrote:a good cable/internet provider such as Comcast.
Image
Literally me when I read that post lol
The0x539 wrote:
Teemster2 wrote:the Ox
Image
Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell?
WARNING: Quill is in here: show
Image

User avatar
Eri7
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 459
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Flair: The Goal of all Life is Death
Current Project: Super Mario Nova Part 1(38A)
Location: Bonn , Germany
Chat Username: Eri7
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Bros. 0

Postby Eri7 » Tue May 29, 2018 2:48 pm

Electriking wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:56 pm
Eri7 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:51 am
Electriking wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 4:16 am

So you decreased your rating because the episode is hard.
:thinking:
I don't see why should that be a problem(even if you didn't say that its a problem) , if a game is too hard for me I won't have any fun playing it and because of that I will reduce the score I would give to that certain game.
The problem is that you are basically judging based on one arbituary standard, as if it is an average episode, and not judging for what the episode is. This episode is clearly meant to be a hard episode, and therefore should be judged like a hard episode, rather than a regular episode, and there is no reason to reduce score for difficulty therfore. If you don't like hard episodes, then perhaps refrain from judging instead of reducing its score for the difficulty if that is going to affect how you judge in a negative manner.
Softster-SMBX wrote:
Electriking wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 4:16 am

So you decreased your rating because the episode is hard.
:thinking:



First off, the episode is quite hard not just the episode it's hard but it's plot. The plot is still weird and awkward in my opinion the same thing peach gets kidnapped everytime, besides this episode is very unoriginal, because of it's special world's even this is actually a prequel it should have a unique plot that same plot over and over again. Besides I got sick and tired of it's bad story lines besides at least the gameplay is okay. But there are lack of level gimmicks and lack of level design in few levels (not a lot of levels has one.) So that's this episode is mediocre for some reason, In my opinion I didn't enjoy the episode that much.
Both of which are generally bad reasons to reduce your score.

I think it is safe to say both of you could be referred to this post.
Ok you want me to judge it as a hard episode , here is my score 4/10 , why is it so low , well here is why:
Bland story that was repeated so many times it doesn't even matter anymore if there is a story or not.
Screen lock , yeah that was in the old Super Mario Bros but i hate it because it limits you in so many ways and i see that some people don't like it as well.
No interesting stuff , i didn't see anything interesting that could make me want to finish this episode , the first 2 worlds were very boring for me because:
Boring level design or in some cases unfair level design.
No custom bosses , why weren't there any custom bosses , i mean at least some variety with vanilla bosses would be ok but no , there is only smb1 bowser and that's it.
The Music in this episode was bland for me and not interesting.
There wasn't anything to make me want to continue on playing the episode because i knew that the level design will mostly be constructed in the future levels will be constructed in the same way as the current ones so why should i play something if its boring and in some cases unfair.
No non-linear levels , yeah i know you don't need them in order to create a good episode but i felt like this could have improved the score for this episode by a lot if there was just more variety in the level design.
Now here are the good stuff:
Very polished and consistent on what its trying to portray.
Good graphics that also stay consistent.
Gives us the feel that you are playing a NES game.
Gives the veterans a worthy challenge.
Well here was my opinions and my score , now i hope you are happy.
Join the discord server about Nova Projects.
Image
Image
Image

I support:
Image

User avatar
Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 6454
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: -chan ^^

Re: Super Mario Bros. 0

Postby Enjl » Tue May 29, 2018 6:07 pm

Image
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Muh favourite quotes:
Spoiler: show
TheKingOfBoos: enji I'm only scared of you cuz you're always right, and that's creepy
SnoruntPyro: if you don't like kirby you have no life
ToonQuill: do you have any hentai girl sfx
Pichu: "And Jesus said unto his apostles, 'ew so much clash 0/10'."
MNIE52: ohoho master king sitting in his golden chair! Dude, you think you're president? i will not leave, if i want - i'll leave.
MNIE52: i will not kill you, why you so rude. are you have nothing to do, boy?
Sanct: oh my god i made the perfect amount of stairs i am jesus christ.
Spoiler: show
Image

Eclipsed
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:15 pm
Chat Username: Eclipsed

Re: Super Mario Bros. 0

Postby Eclipsed » Tue May 29, 2018 6:45 pm

Eri7 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 2:48 pm

1. Ok you want me to judge it as a hard episode , here is my score 4/10 , why is it so low , well here is why:
2. Bland story that was repeated so many times it doesn't even matter anymore if there is a story or not.
3. Screen lock , yeah that was in the old Super Mario Bros but i hate it because it limits you in so many ways and i see that some people don't like it as well.
4. No interesting stuff , i didn't see anything interesting that could make me want to finish this episode , the first 2 worlds were very boring for me because:
5. Boring level design or in some cases unfair level design.
6. No custom bosses , why weren't there any custom bosses , i mean at least some variety with vanilla bosses would be ok but no , there is only smb1 bowser and that's it.
7. The Music in this episode was bland for me and not interesting.
8. There wasn't anything to make me want to continue on playing the episode because i knew that the level design will mostly be constructed in the future levels will be constructed in the same way as the current ones so why should i play something if its boring and in some cases unfair.
9. No non-linear levels , yeah i know you don't need them in order to create a good episode but i felt like this could have improved the score for this episode by a lot if there was just more variety in the level design.
Now here are the good stuff:
10. Very polished and consistent on what its trying to portray.
11. Good graphics that also stay consistent.
12. Gives us the feel that you are playing a NES game.
13. Gives the veterans a worthy challenge.
Well here was my opinions and my score , now i hope you are happy.
1. So you gave the game a 4/10 and you only played a 1/8th of the entire game. Honestly, you should not base your opinion on something that's less than a quarter of a game
2. Yeah if you don't think it matters if there's a story or not, why are you deducting points for it.
3. I agree with this
4. This is just flat out wrong.
Spoiler: show
1-1 is a rehash of SMB1 1-1
1-2 is a rehash of SMB1 1-2
1-3 is a rehash of SMB1 1-3 but has moving layers, and is the ONLY level to have them
1-4 is a rehash of SMB1 1-4
2-1 introduces a beach theme and level
2-2 is a rehash of SMB1 2-2
2-3 is a rehash of SMB1 2-3
2-4 Introduces a gimmick of dry bone fish, which is again the ONLY level to have them
3-1 is a rehash of SMB1 4-1
3-2 is a level based around vine climbing and SMW koopas
3-3 is a level based around saws and spin jumping
3-4 is a level around wooden stakes from SMW
4-1 had angry clouds shooting lightning down
4-2 starts out as a rehash of SMB1 4-2 but then merges it with using the billy gun
4-3 is a rehash of SMB1 6-3 but with bullet bill launchers
4-4 had platforms where if you stood on them too long they fall off and thowmps
5-1 is inspired by Super Mario Bros 3 world 7
5-2 is a p-switch run along with the same theme as the above level
5-3 was designed around munchers and nipper plants
5-4 had a lot of plant and fire based enemies in a castle
6-1 was designed around Yoshi's Island penguins
6-2 had giant snowballs you had to deal with
6-3 was a level based around dont blocks and lakitu
6-4 was an ice cube castle, where you had to deal with firebars, plants, and saws.
7-1's gimmick was that there were enemies in bubbles
7-2 was constructed around torpedo teds and the fact you had to make the bloopers rise to weave around them
7-3 is the first level in this list that is actually similar to something else as in similar to 2-3, but it still separates itself by using ice based enemies
7-4 was a castle that was constructed around swoopers from SMW
8-1 is a rehash of SMB1 8-2
8-2 was constructed around bomb-omb lakitus
8-3 was constructed around hammer bros, the billy gun, and castles that were made out of only bricks
8-4 was constructed around bowser statue and even then, it still had 3 distinct sections that were different than that, jumping fishes inspired by SMB1 8-4, a raft ride, and a swimming section inspired by SMB1 8-4
A-1 was constructed around spiny generators
A-2 was constructed around falling leaves
A-3 was constructed around a p-switch run and lakitus
A-4 was constructed around thowmps and falling SMB1 platforms
B-1 was inspired by japan as there are ninjis and hammer bros literally throwing shurikens
B-2 was constructed around the eels for the NSMB games
B-3 is once again inspired by japan but graphically now it introduced jumping ninjis and the houses are japan-styled
B-4 was designed around roto-discs
C-1 has a city theme and introduces a gimmick of stop and go with green and red lights
C-2 is underground and has a theme of using bo-ombs to break bricks.
C-3 is a level where when you move forward the level layout literally drops in front of you as in city construction platforms going down
C-4 is a level based around sparkys from SMW (and again this is the first time these enemies are used in this list)
D-1 is a desert level and based around pokeys (and again this is the first time these enemies are used in this list)
D-2 introduces a level around throw blocks (and again this is the first time these npcs appear)
D-3 is based around giant cactii
D-4 is a level based upon boos (and again this is the first time these npcs appear)
E-1 is a rehash of SMB1 6-1 but also with note blocks
E-2 is inspired by beep block skyway
E-3 is a level based around flying hammer bros (only level they appear in)
E-4 is a level where you go on top of the castle and has flying bo-ombs and rotodiscs and thwomps joint together inside
F-1 is a lava land with jumping cheep cheep
F-2 is a level based entirely around lava npcs and raft riding
F-3 is based upon fire and moving you along due to bo-ombs blowing up the floor
F-4's gimmick is ceiling lava and again is the only level it appears in
G-1 is giant world and even there, there is a sub-gimmick where you throw shells at bricks
G-2 is ice giant world but with fire plants
G-3 is desert giant world but with spiny generators
G-4 is castle giant world but with a layer that you have to time with that moves up and down, not constantly but occasionally
0-1 is based on the mario game mario bros, and forces you to think through it as a puzzle
0-2 is based on the mario game wrecking crew and again forces you to think through it as a puzzle
0-3 is based on the mario game donkey kong and requires you to do some hard platforming
0-4 is based on the smbx episode Super Mario Bros 0 and even each of those individual sections in that level are based upon something
Section 1: 1-3, Section 2: 2-3, Section 3: 3-3, Section 4: 4-4, Section 5: 5-1, Section 6: 6-1, Section 7: 7-2, Section 8: 8-1
Section 9: A-1 and it even introduces a new gimmick in the game with falling boxes
Section 10: B-3, Section 11: C-4, Section 12: D-1, Section 13: E-4, Section 14: The World's theme in general, Section 15: The World's theme in general but now combines it with the boos gimmick from D-4.
Section 16: Is bowser fights, and Section 17: is an entirely new boss that's base is ludwig
4 continued, now if you actually played more than 8 levels you would have noticed that every single level sets itself apart even each section in 0-4 can be told apart from another level instead of just playing 2 worlds.
5. Again if you look at the gimmicks above, you can tell which ones force you to play quickly or give you rush or think. This is why you don't only play 8 super easy levels and judge your opinion based on that. Moreover, the only softlocks in the game which I agree are unfair are C-2, D-2, and G-1. I also agree that 0-4 Section 16 is really dumb and unfair to the player, but there is a difference between fair and unfair difficulty and first 2 worlds anyone who has even played SMBX should be able to beat.
6. That's kind of the point of a spiritual remake of Super Mario Bros 1. And if you paid attention each bowser fight has different setups and layouts. All 20 of them. Moreover, you're literally wrong on the fact there's no custom bosses as there is one at the end.
7. Yeah I can see that the music was bland.
8. That is literally incorrect See: 4. Every level was literally constructed differently from each other. If you take a screenshot from 2 levels and show them to someone they can tell they are from different levels.
9. That's the point of a spiritual remake. Seriously what don't you get about a spiritual remake of a game? The original super mario bros was linear and the non-linear portions were mazes. Even then you're point of no linerality at all is just wrong. A-4 you can take multiple paths. There are 3 separate sections you can take in 8-4.

10. I don't agree it was very polished. There are just some areas that feel off when you get soft-locked. It's polished but not very polished.
11. Yeah the graphics are good
12. That's kind of a point of a spiritual remake.
13. The original super mario bros was difficult, so yeah this game is going to be hard which again is kind of the point of a spiritual remake

So I looked at your points and I commented on all of them and your only valid points are 3, 7, and 11 in my opinion. Next time try actually playing more of the game before making a review where you obviously have no clue how the game is structured or made instead of <15% of the game.
Check Out SMBX Servers List - It Hosts Every SMBX Server

Check out my channel for SMBX content and custom levels

My Best Speedruns:
[WR] Invasion 2 Any% All Characters in 28:28:602
Spoiler: show

[WR] The Princess Cliche in 7:16:263
Spoiler: show
[WR]Another Princess Cliche in 29:11:661
Spoiler: show
[WR] The Great Empire in 15:36:686
Spoiler: show
"I am the embodiment of Canada" - Darkonius Makavar

User avatar
Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:17 pm
Current Project: Mario & Luigi: Thyme Time!
Location: Somewhere in Canada, Eh?
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Bros. 0

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Tue May 29, 2018 6:52 pm

Spoiler: show
Eclipsed wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 6:45 pm
Eri7 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 2:48 pm

1. Ok you want me to judge it as a hard episode , here is my score 4/10 , why is it so low , well here is why:
2. Bland story that was repeated so many times it doesn't even matter anymore if there is a story or not.
3. Screen lock , yeah that was in the old Super Mario Bros but i hate it because it limits you in so many ways and i see that some people don't like it as well.
4. No interesting stuff , i didn't see anything interesting that could make me want to finish this episode , the first 2 worlds were very boring for me because:
5. Boring level design or in some cases unfair level design.
6. No custom bosses , why weren't there any custom bosses , i mean at least some variety with vanilla bosses would be ok but no , there is only smb1 bowser and that's it.
7. The Music in this episode was bland for me and not interesting.
8. There wasn't anything to make me want to continue on playing the episode because i knew that the level design will mostly be constructed in the future levels will be constructed in the same way as the current ones so why should i play something if its boring and in some cases unfair.
9. No non-linear levels , yeah i know you don't need them in order to create a good episode but i felt like this could have improved the score for this episode by a lot if there was just more variety in the level design.
Now here are the good stuff:
10. Very polished and consistent on what its trying to portray.
11. Good graphics that also stay consistent.
12. Gives us the feel that you are playing a NES game.
13. Gives the veterans a worthy challenge.
Well here was my opinions and my score , now i hope you are happy.
1. So you gave the game a 4/10 and you only played a 1/8th of the entire game. Honestly, you should not base your opinion on something that's less than a quarter of a game
2. Yeah if you don't think it matters if there's a story or not, why are you deducting points for it.
3. I agree with this
4. This is just flat out wrong.
Spoiler: show
1-1 is a rehash of SMB1 1-1
1-2 is a rehash of SMB1 1-2
1-3 is a rehash of SMB1 1-3 but has moving layers, and is the ONLY level to have them
1-4 is a rehash of SMB1 1-4
2-1 introduces a beach theme and level
2-2 is a rehash of SMB1 2-2
2-3 is a rehash of SMB1 2-3
2-4 Introduces a gimmick of dry bone fish, which is again the ONLY level to have them
3-1 is a rehash of SMB1 4-1
3-2 is a level based around vine climbing and SMW koopas
3-3 is a level based around saws and spin jumping
3-4 is a level around wooden stakes from SMW
4-1 had angry clouds shooting lightning down
4-2 starts out as a rehash of SMB1 4-2 but then merges it with using the billy gun
4-3 is a rehash of SMB1 6-3 but with bullet bill launchers
4-4 had platforms where if you stood on them too long they fall off and thowmps
5-1 is inspired by Super Mario Bros 3 world 7
5-2 is a p-switch run along with the same theme as the above level
5-3 was designed around munchers and nipper plants
5-4 had a lot of plant and fire based enemies in a castle
6-1 was designed around Yoshi's Island penguins
6-2 had giant snowballs you had to deal with
6-3 was a level based around dont blocks and lakitu
6-4 was an ice cube castle, where you had to deal with firebars, plants, and saws.
7-1's gimmick was that there were enemies in bubbles
7-2 was constructed around torpedo teds and the fact you had to make the bloopers rise to weave around them
7-3 is the first level in this list that is actually similar to something else as in similar to 2-3, but it still separates itself by using ice based enemies
7-4 was a castle that was constructed around swoopers from SMW
8-1 is a rehash of SMB1 8-2
8-2 was constructed around bomb-omb lakitus
8-3 was constructed around hammer bros, the billy gun, and castles that were made out of only bricks
8-4 was constructed around bowser statue and even then, it still had 3 distinct sections that were different than that, jumping fishes inspired by SMB1 8-4, a raft ride, and a swimming section inspired by SMB1 8-4
A-1 was constructed around spiny generators
A-2 was constructed around falling leaves
A-3 was constructed around a p-switch run and lakitus
A-4 was constructed around thowmps and falling SMB1 platforms
B-1 was inspired by japan as there are ninjis and hammer bros literally throwing shurikens
B-2 was constructed around the eels for the NSMB games
B-3 is once again inspired by japan but graphically now it introduced jumping ninjis and the houses are japan-styled
B-4 was designed around roto-discs
C-1 has a city theme and introduces a gimmick of stop and go with green and red lights
C-2 is underground and has a theme of using bo-ombs to break bricks.
C-3 is a level where when you move forward the level layout literally drops in front of you as in city construction platforms going down
C-4 is a level based around sparkys from SMW (and again this is the first time these enemies are used in this list)
D-1 is a desert level and based around pokeys (and again this is the first time these enemies are used in this list)
D-2 introduces a level around throw blocks (and again this is the first time these npcs appear)
D-3 is based around giant cactii
D-4 is a level based upon boos (and again this is the first time these npcs appear)
E-1 is a rehash of SMB1 6-1 but also with note blocks
E-2 is inspired by beep block skyway
E-3 is a level based around flying hammer bros (only level they appear in)
E-4 is a level where you go on top of the castle and has flying bo-ombs and rotodiscs and thwomps joint together inside
F-1 is a lava land with jumping cheep cheep
F-2 is a level based entirely around lava npcs and raft riding
F-3 is based upon fire and moving you along due to bo-ombs blowing up the floor
F-4's gimmick is ceiling lava and again is the only level it appears in
G-1 is giant world and even there, there is a sub-gimmick where you throw shells at bricks
G-2 is ice giant world but with fire plants
G-3 is desert giant world but with spiny generators
G-4 is castle giant world but with a layer that you have to time with that moves up and down, not constantly but occasionally
0-1 is based on the mario game mario bros, and forces you to think through it as a puzzle
0-2 is based on the mario game wrecking crew and again forces you to think through it as a puzzle
0-3 is based on the mario game donkey kong and requires you to do some hard platforming
0-4 is based on the smbx episode Super Mario Bros 0 and even each of those individual sections in that level are based upon something
Section 1: 1-3, Section 2: 2-3, Section 3: 3-3, Section 4: 4-4, Section 5: 5-1, Section 6: 6-1, Section 7: 7-2, Section 8: 8-1
Section 9: A-1 and it even introduces a new gimmick in the game with falling boxes
Section 10: B-3, Section 11: C-4, Section 12: D-1, Section 13: E-4, Section 14: The World's theme in general, Section 15: The World's theme in general but now combines it with the boos gimmick from D-4.
Section 16: Is bowser fights, and Section 17: is an entirely new boss that's base is ludwig
4 continued, now if you actually played more than 8 levels you would have noticed that every single level sets itself apart even each section in 0-4 can be told apart from another level instead of just playing 2 worlds.
5. Again if you look at the gimmicks above, you can tell which ones force you to play quickly or give you rush or think. This is why you don't only play 8 super easy levels and judge your opinion based on that. Moreover, the only softlocks in the game which I agree are unfair are C-2, D-2, and G-1. I also agree that 0-4 Section 16 is really dumb and unfair to the player, but there is a difference between fair and unfair difficulty and first 2 worlds anyone who has even played SMBX should be able to beat.
6. That's kind of the point of a spiritual remake of Super Mario Bros 1. And if you paid attention each bowser fight has different setups and layouts. All 20 of them. Moreover, you're literally wrong on the fact there's no custom bosses as there is one at the end.
7. Yeah I can see that the music was bland.
8. That is literally incorrect See: 4. Every level was literally constructed differently from each other. If you take a screenshot from 2 levels and show them to someone they can tell they are from different levels.
9. That's the point of a spiritual remake. Seriously what don't you get about a spiritual remake of a game? The original super mario bros was linear and the non-linear portions were mazes. Even then you're point of no linerality at all is just wrong. A-4 you can take multiple paths. There are 3 separate sections you can take in 8-4.

10. I don't agree it was very polished. There are just some areas that feel off when you get soft-locked. It's polished but not very polished.
11. Yeah the graphics are good
12. That's kind of a point of a spiritual remake.
13. The original super mario bros was difficult, so yeah this game is going to be hard which again is kind of the point of a spiritual remake

So I looked at your points and I commented on all of them and your only valid points are 3, 7, and 11 in my opinion. Next time try actually playing more of the game before making a review where you obviously have no clue how the game is structured or made instead of <15% of the game.
Congrats, you fed the trolls.
My Project: Coming Soon!
Image
Image
Image
I support
Spoiler: show
Image
ImageImage Image
Image
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
PixelPest
Edward
Edward
Posts: 6683
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Location: Canada, Eh?
Chat Username: PixelPest
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Bros. 0

Postby PixelPest » Tue May 29, 2018 6:57 pm

Eri7 wrote:
Softster-SMBX wrote:
You have to consider the goal of the episode before you go marking it down for certain things. Being a remake of SMB and a pretty well-executed one at that it served its purpose well without a substantial plot. Also, consider that just because something is challenging also doesn't mean it's bad.

Also it's a little low to just judge a whole episode by part of it. That's just like judging it by the screenshots. (Especially if you're commenting on plot)

User avatar
Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Posts: 3003
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am
Flair: Bombs away!
Current Project: episode pages for the wiki
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: Super Mario Bros. 0

Postby Cedur » Wed May 30, 2018 4:16 am

Wow, even if most of Eri's criticism is not agreeable, there's no grounds for calling him a troll.

The episode succeeds at what it wants to do plot-wise and graphics-wise, but gameplay-wise it's closer to Lost Levels than the original SMB. This is the first episode I've encountered that gives me multiple gameovers, it would indeed be better if there were no lives / infinite lives.

If the goal of the episode was also to be very hard and challenging, then it wasn't described as such. If there was a line about the difficulty then people would knew beforehand what awaits them and whether they want to let themselves in for it. It's a commonplace thing with high difficulty: If you can live up to it, you adore it, otherwise it frustrates you. There's a few segments in the episode that are really unbearable for "average" players, such as the final sequence of spin-jumping over grinders in World 3-3 (iirc). If I feel the absolute need to cheat, it's not a good sign.
Image

I believe in three 72 mm large, 690 g heavy iron balls as my lords and saviours.

It's not worth to use the legacy editor anymore these days. Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

TheNewGuy
Ninji
Ninji
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:32 am
Chat Username: TNG
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Bros. 0

Postby TheNewGuy » Wed May 30, 2018 8:17 am

Cedur wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 4:16 am
Wow, even if most of Eri's criticism is not agreeable, there's no grounds for calling him a troll.

The episode succeeds at what it wants to do plot-wise and graphics-wise, but gameplay-wise it's closer to Lost Levels than the original SMB. This is the first episode I've encountered that gives me multiple gameovers, it would indeed be better if there were no lives / infinite lives.

If the goal of the episode was also to be very hard and challenging, then it wasn't described as such. If there was a line about the difficulty then people would knew beforehand what awaits them and whether they want to let themselves in for it. It's a commonplace thing with high difficulty: If you can live up to it, you adore it, otherwise it frustrates you. There's a few segments in the episode that are really unbearable for "average" players, such as the final sequence of spin-jumping over grinders in World 3-3 (iirc). If I feel the absolute need to cheat, it's not a good sign.
I spent 4 days trying 0-4. I mean over 5000 deaths in total without cheating. I mean a level with 6 bosses and a checkpoint in section 15 is hell.
I believe in my signature as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 6454
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: -chan ^^

Re: Super Mario Bros. 0

Postby Enjl » Wed May 30, 2018 8:25 am

Cedur wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 4:16 am
Wow, even if most of Eri's criticism is not agreeable, there's no grounds for calling him a troll.
If a critic rants about how something is bad for the very things that project tried to accomplish without giving a compelling, objective argument, the critic is either an idiot or a troll. All of Eri's arguments are portrayed in a manner which sounds like he wants them to be received as objective truths, but are only backed with "I like this/I dislike this personally", without giving any reason for as to why he thinks this way. The points of critique were maliciously worded as well, which leads me to believe that yes, there is absolutely reason to call him a troll (if he isn't being genuine and just stirring up a reaction) or an idiot (if he thinks these are actually valid, objective points he's portraying).
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Muh favourite quotes:
Spoiler: show
TheKingOfBoos: enji I'm only scared of you cuz you're always right, and that's creepy
SnoruntPyro: if you don't like kirby you have no life
ToonQuill: do you have any hentai girl sfx
Pichu: "And Jesus said unto his apostles, 'ew so much clash 0/10'."
MNIE52: ohoho master king sitting in his golden chair! Dude, you think you're president? i will not leave, if i want - i'll leave.
MNIE52: i will not kill you, why you so rude. are you have nothing to do, boy?
Sanct: oh my god i made the perfect amount of stairs i am jesus christ.
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Eri7
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 459
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Flair: The Goal of all Life is Death
Current Project: Super Mario Nova Part 1(38A)
Location: Bonn , Germany
Chat Username: Eri7
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Bros. 0

Postby Eri7 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:45 am

Yes Enjl , i am a troll! My whole reason to troll is to conquer the forums and change them the way i see fit... OK now seriously (that was a joke if you didn't understand) , Enjl , that were my honest opinions on this episode and you know what do we say about opinions , the aren't facts , you have the right to disagree with me , ignore my opinions , hate me for my opinions but calling me a troll because i was honest with what i said about this episode is just not right , Enjl , you want a reason why do i think like this way , its because the episode was too hard and uninteresting/boring for me , it made me frustrated and i wanted the creator to make it better so people like me can enjoy his work but instead i get attacked because i was honest on the internet , wait that seems ironic ... The creator has the right to hate me , dislike me , ignore me , disagree with my opinions , ask someone from the staff to delete my posts because they appeared as toxic to him but these were honest opinions and i have no reason to go around the internet and hate stuff for absolutely no reason , the creator can also see how frustrated i was while playing his episode and try to either improve the episode or impress me with his next project(if there will be one) , now people have said that i don't have the right to judge the episode because i haven't played the whole episode ... you see , you shouldn't be denied to judge something because you haven't played it on 100%(even if i wanted to i would never be able to do it because of the difficulty that just makes me angry every time i try to play)(and also as Cedur said , the creator didn't say that this episode will be that difficult , if i knew that i would have never played it but i did play it because people were giving him positive feedback and i wanted to see if i would be able to give one but i couldn't it was too frustrating for me , boring and i just gave up after world 2 , i tried watching some videos in youtube of world 4 and world 0 but after that i just didn't want to play or watch anything related to the episode because it was boring for me)
, now if i used the same argument as you guys , when my project is done you would have to play ALL of the 250 levels to be able to judge it , now do you see how dumb does it seem , yes its wrong to judge something by its cover but i couldn't manage to get past it , now you can either continue on attacking me because i shared negative opinions about this episode or you can stop and move on... also im gonna admit that it was my mistake to even be honest here after all the hate i'm getting for expressing my opinions because when you are being honest people get offended and i think it would be better if i lied and said that it was good so i can't get any hate but that's not me and i won't lie... now as i said , you can ignore me , hate me , disagree with me , call me a troll/loser/idiot/whatever you want to call me that would make me feel bad but this won't change my opinions because that's how i feel about this episode and you can't enforce your opinions on me.
Join the discord server about Nova Projects.
Image
Image
Image

I support:
Image

User avatar
MyNameIsEric52
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:29 am
Flair: I will be left until 10 september, cya.
Current Project: Tashers
Location: Russian Federation
Chat Username: MyNameIsEric52
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Bros. 0

Postby MyNameIsEric52 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:04 am

Eri7: im enjoying it (even if i just got to world 2). The only thing, that makes me angry, is my computer, because SMBX somehow lags when starting any level.
Support Tashers Team Project!

Image


User avatar
Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 6454
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: -chan ^^

Re: Super Mario Bros. 0

Postby Enjl » Wed May 30, 2018 10:53 am

You can state your opinion while being polite, you know?
As for this argument:
, now if i used the same argument as you guys , when my project is done you would have to play ALL of the 250 levels to be able to judge it ,
You're absolutely correct. I think that someone needs to complete a game in order to properly judge it in its entirety. If you judged Mario Odyssey for its main story, you wouldn't stop after the wooded kingdom and write your review. If you judged it for its 100%, you can only give a comprehensive analysis of the entire process of getting 100% by having experienced it. I find it ridiculous that games that take hundreds of hours to complete get reviews by people who played 4 hours of it. You can form an opinion of what you played in that time, but giving a review based on it is, if you ask me, ridiculous.
Similarly stupid is people judging stuff of a genre or style they don't like. Their judgement will be clouded by their dislike towards what they're judging. In the best case, there's no bias for or against what a game sets out to do. If you say a JRPG is bad because you don't like JRPGs, why are you playing it? If you say you don't like a mario game because it has a bland story when it doesn't aim to have an incredible story, why are you commenting on it?
Comments like your comments about "in parts unfair design" could be valid and helpful if examples were present. The creator could take them to heart and iron them out. Saying "there is unfair level design somewhere" is REALLY vague and unhelpful.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Muh favourite quotes:
Spoiler: show
TheKingOfBoos: enji I'm only scared of you cuz you're always right, and that's creepy
SnoruntPyro: if you don't like kirby you have no life
ToonQuill: do you have any hentai girl sfx
Pichu: "And Jesus said unto his apostles, 'ew so much clash 0/10'."
MNIE52: ohoho master king sitting in his golden chair! Dude, you think you're president? i will not leave, if i want - i'll leave.
MNIE52: i will not kill you, why you so rude. are you have nothing to do, boy?
Sanct: oh my god i made the perfect amount of stairs i am jesus christ.
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Posts: 3003
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am
Flair: Bombs away!
Current Project: episode pages for the wiki
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: Super Mario Bros. 0

Postby Cedur » Wed May 30, 2018 11:00 am

When playing this with 1.3, the spiny spawns in World C are absolutely bugged and kill me. Does this also happen in SMBX2?
Image

I believe in three 72 mm large, 690 g heavy iron balls as my lords and saviours.

It's not worth to use the legacy editor anymore these days. Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

User avatar
Eri7
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 459
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Flair: The Goal of all Life is Death
Current Project: Super Mario Nova Part 1(38A)
Location: Bonn , Germany
Chat Username: Eri7
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Bros. 0

Postby Eri7 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:21 am

Enjl wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:53 am
You can state your opinion while being polite, you know?
As for this argument:
, now if i used the same argument as you guys , when my project is done you would have to play ALL of the 250 levels to be able to judge it ,
You're absolutely correct. I think that someone needs to complete a game in order to properly judge it in its entirety. If you judged Mario Odyssey for its main story, you wouldn't stop after the wooded kingdom and write your review. If you judged it for its 100%, you can only give a comprehensive analysis of the entire process of getting 100% by having experienced it. I find it ridiculous that games that take hundreds of hours to complete get reviews by people who played 4 hours of it. You can form an opinion of what you played in that time, but giving a review based on it is, if you ask me, ridiculous.
Similarly stupid is people judging stuff of a genre or style they don't like. Their judgement will be clouded by their dislike towards what they're judging. In the best case, there's no bias for or against what a game sets out to do. If you say a JRPG is bad because you don't like JRPGs, why are you playing it? If you say you don't like a mario game because it has a bland story when it doesn't aim to have an incredible story, why are you commenting on it?
Comments like your comments about "in parts unfair design" could be valid and helpful if examples were present. The creator could take them to heart and iron them out. Saying "there is unfair level design somewhere" is REALLY vague and unhelpful.
OK then my opinions are concerning only the parts where i played the game (world 1 , world 2) and the parts i watched in youtube (world 0 , world 4) , now are you happy? Also i played this episode because i was hoping for something new and unique but i didn't found anything that looked unique to ME , if i knew at the start that the episode(the parts that i stated above) would be that frustrating for me to play then i wouldn't have played it but this happens when you are presented with not enough information(my opinion) on what exactly are you going to play.
Join the discord server about Nova Projects.
Image
Image
Image

I support:
Image

User avatar
arcade999
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1321
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:23 pm
Current Project: I was working on something and AAAARRRGGGHHH, FUCK, MY LAPTOP BROKE!!!
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Chat Username: arcade999

Re: Super Mario Bros. 0

Postby arcade999 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:57 pm

Enjl wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:53 am
You can state your opinion while being polite, you know?
That's hypocrite considering you attacked him by calling him ''either a stroll or someone stupid''.

By the way you're basing your judgement on a single post he made, which's clearly overgeneralization; someone sharing one day a bad opinion doesn't make him a moron. Otherwise I think we would all be morons lmao.

you also have the wrong definition of troll my dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unnh0kPbLi8
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
check out my (shitpost) youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-fkps ... oRYc6XtNxQ
check out my discord server: https://discord.gg/nAjhRGb
check out my forum: http://arcade999forum.freeforums.net/
StickGuyGamez wrote:BRING ME BACK TO PENIS
Super Nick Bros X wrote:bruh
RTisBack wrote:Jesus christ isn't a lord/god you piece of human with no brain, and i mean that allah is the only one god.
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
arcade999 wrote:do using ms paint make me a bad human being?
No. It makes you a great veteran and someone who deserves respect...

unless you use Windows 7 paint
Noodle wrote:Danny is a crapposter. (I was in school when I typed this)
Snessy the duck wrote:
Electriking wrote:What the fuck is going on with this topic?
I have no idea. This guy honestly seems like a bot.

TheNewGuy
Ninji
Ninji
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:32 am
Chat Username: TNG
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Bros. 0

Postby TheNewGuy » Wed May 30, 2018 2:09 pm

Cedur wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:00 am
When playing this with 1.3, the spiny spawns in World C are absolutely bugged and kill me. Does this also happen in SMBX2?
That didn't happen to me when I was using smbx2
I believe in my signature as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Pseudo
Tellah
Tellah
Posts: 5543
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:04 am
Current Project: ???
Location: the atlantic coast

Re: Super Mario Bros. 0

Postby Pseudo » Wed May 30, 2018 4:55 pm

Accusing people of being trolls and not having legitimate opinions is not a good way to handle public discourse, everyone. Please don't do that.
Love and Tolerance FTW!!
previously Pseudo-dino but you probably guessed that yourself

come visit my YouTube channel, where I play games (including smbx)

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account 2016

My Switch friend code: 1353 - 7698 - 1308 (add me!)

so... i'm actually a girl


Return to “Episodes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests