The Crystal Orbs

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.

How do you rate 'The Crystal Orbs'?

10: Perfect!
43%
9: Amazing
4%
8: Very nice
6%
7: Quite good
13%
6: Average
9%
5: Not good enough
4%
4: Just bad
6%
3: Really bad
4%
2: Rubbish
4%
1: AAARGH!
2%
0: Do I have to rate this?
4%

Total votes: 47
Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him

Re: The Crystal Orbs

Postby Electriking » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:10 am

McNaquar wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:48 pm
That level has nothing to do with this topic or the Episode in question
Fun fact: That level is in the episode. It is Kunst 4.
Perhaps consider checking before falsely claiming a level does not exist and falsely accusing people of spamming and falsely accusing moderators of failing to do their jobs properly.
Signatures are overrated

McNaquar
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: YouTuber

Postby McNaquar » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:04 pm

Electriking wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:10 am
McNaquar wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:48 pm
That level has nothing to do with this topic or the Episode in question
Fun fact: That level is in the episode. It is Kunst 4.
Perhaps consider checking before falsely claiming a level does not exist and falsely accusing people of spamming and falsely accusing moderators of failing to do their jobs properly.
You are a mod, not the Admin. You do not have the power to harass me or anyone else! Ace, one of the Admin, and I have already hashed this out. You have no right to keep this going!

Aero
Palom
Palom
Pronouns: she/her they/them

Postby Aero » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:00 pm

Let's get back on topic please.

McNaquar
Swooper
Swooper

Postby McNaquar » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:27 pm

Certainly, I haven't been able to play much more of this Episode but if this is Stipkip's first Episode, this is a great. It does need improvements but it's a great for a first. If not, it's still not bad. Maybe have some people beta test certain things like Ghost House puzzles or some of the more difficult stages before publishing it as a finished Episode next time? Some good tip to remember, that can relive headache in some places, remember the player could accidentally kick a shell into the wall causing it to auto die (make whatever needed shell a respawner with a set timer to avoid that or use lunalua to create a reset door), place a hidden block about to blocks up from the ground (to avoid a player with a power up from sliding in the wall from a duck jump or just not hitting the block if it's needed to progress) and try to avoid placing vital items (like a key) in a hidden block as doing so without a way to immediately leave the area with the key may cause a softlock if the key has to be off screen (make a hidden block that when hit activates a layer with a timed respawning key on it). Let's all continue to be helpful to Stipkip so they can learn from the errors in this Episode so their next one will be better!

tangeruse
Rex
Rex
Flair: https://mspfa.com/?s=28789

Postby tangeruse » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:37 pm

even if we remove all the graphics from Kunst 4 (the Goomba level), the issue remains that it is a flat plain with a bunch of npcs strewn about haphazardly

McNaquar
Swooper
Swooper

Postby McNaquar » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:01 am

tangeruse wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:37 pm
even if we remove all the graphics from Kunst 4 (the Goomba level), the issue remains that it is a flat plain with a bunch of npcs strewn about haphazardly
Okay well what would you suppose would be a decent layout for the level? Maybe the dev was running low on ideas when he made that and just wanted to make a survival challenge? I get what you are saying more content needs to be made, like blocks, pipes, pits, etc.

Stipkip
Bit
Bit
Flair: I have a flair.

Re: The Crystal Orbs [Update]

Postby Stipkip » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:30 pm

Well I finally have updated the episode. I have solved some problems that were mentioned in this thread, but not all of them. Update includes:

-some softlocks solved;
-reduce of backgrounds in some levels;
-Castle of Frost Frog section 3 and The Suburb are easier;
-death effects in Goomba Gap;
-some other mistakes solved.
My episode:

The Crystal Orbs

My current project:

MarioFan677
Goomba
Goomba

Postby MarioFan677 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:30 pm

i have the bowsette sprite replacing bowser and it looks weird on The Crystal Orbs world

tangeruse
Rex
Rex
Flair: https://mspfa.com/?s=28789

Postby tangeruse » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:12 am

this of course dodges the problem that Goomba Gap is a non-level

Cedur
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Cedur » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:32 am

Secret exit in Just in Cave: you obviously need a leaf/tanooki for it, and there's none to be obtained before it
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Stipkip
Bit
Bit

Postby Stipkip » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:09 am

Cedur wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:32 am
Secret exit in Just in Cave: you obviously need a leaf/tanooki for it, and there's none to be obtained before it
You don't really need a leaf/tanooki.
Spoiler: show
If you go back in the last pipe, you wil find a vine that helps you reaching the secret exit.
My episode:

The Crystal Orbs

My current project:

Cedur
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Cedur » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:11 am

ok, I saw the back-warp in the editor but I had no clue of its purpose. Anyway, secret exits through back-warps are similar to random pipes or random pit locations: no hints, only trial-and-error.

Also have you ensured that you can fly underneath the goaltape in Shell Field?

And can you please provide a solution to the puzzle in "To the Cave"? You can't go back up once you go down

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

Stipkip
Bit
Bit

Postby Stipkip » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:39 pm

Cedur wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:11 am
ok, I saw the back-warp in the editor but I had no clue of its purpose. Anyway, secret exits through back-warps are similar to random pipes or random pit locations: no hints, only trial-and-error.

Also have you ensured that you can fly underneath the goaltape in Shell Field?

And can you please provide a solution to the puzzle in "To the Cave"? You can't go back up once you go down
It is possible to fly underneath the goaltape with a yoshi and a blue koopa.

Also, there is a solution for the puzzle in 'Through the Cave' recorded and posted in this thread (page 4, somewhere at the bottom). It is not exactly the right solution, but it is without cheating, so it is a good one. I think the right one is even more difficult.
My episode:

The Crystal Orbs

My current project:

Cedur
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Cedur » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:27 am

The difficulty in World 3-castle is almost kaizo. The grinder segment at the end of the first section is even impossible without deliberately taking damage.

Damage boosts in World 4-2 "Block Tower" are also not cool.

Cedur
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Cedur » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:04 am

More bugs. The more I progress the more I'm convinced that this was thought-out and tested very poorly, if at all.

1) In 4-Castle you think you have placed the blocks around Door #5 as backgrounds, but no, there's another layer of actually solid blocks. Impossible to get in there.
2) the squashing brick walls after the checkpoint are godawful, and when you pass them after returning from the checkpoint, it means you haven't collected any items from the large previous area, which means the berries are still there, and once you hit the P-switch, they completely block your way
3) how does the secret exit in 5-4 work? Searching for the "door" through the editor didn't yield any results

(also regarding the previously discussed "All-Goomba" level: I agree that it is very poorly executed as you can't even tell enemies, projectiles and good items apart, and the "key" is just a random goomba out of many)

(furthermore I wanna make clear I don't mean to discourage you; my first levels designed in Super Mario 63 were also flawed like that)

Stipkip
Bit
Bit

Postby Stipkip » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:45 am

Cedur wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:04 am
2) the squashing brick walls after the checkpoint are godawful, and when you pass them after returning from the checkpoint, it means you haven't collected any items from the large previous area, which means the berries are still there, and once you hit the P-switch, they completely block your way
Which level does this refer to?

Cedur wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:04 am
3) how does the secret exit in 5-4 work? Searching for the "door" through the editor didn't yield any results
There is a door that replaces the key sprite and its buried somewhere in the middle of section 1 on the place with a lot of pipes. Grabbing this door and returning it to Toad will end the level like a secret keyhole exit.
My episode:

The Crystal Orbs

My current project:

Cedur
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Cedur » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:22 am

Stipkip wrote:
Cedur wrote: 2) the squashing brick walls after the checkpoint are godawful, and when you pass them after returning from the checkpoint, it means you haven't collected any items from the large previous area, which means the berries are still there, and once you hit the P-switch, they completely block your way
Which level does this refer to?

I was talking about 5-2; I first also complained about the secret exit but then I found an explanation in this thread and deleted the comment. (it's very randomly hidden but at least accessible)

Stipkip wrote:
Cedur wrote: 3) how does the secret exit in 5-4 work? Searching for the "door" through the editor didn't yield any results
There is a door that replaces the key sprite and its buried somewhere in the middle of section 1 on the place with a lot of pipes. Grabbing this door and returning it to Toad will end the level like a secret keyhole exit.

I was looking at the grass tufts but only found veggies and occasional power-ups all the way, lol

Cedur
Bowser
Bowser

Postby Cedur » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:17 am

Finished it yesterday evening.

The ending of the ship ride was awful and uncreative at the same time, just a neverending blast of bullet bills and chasing goombas.

The final collection of the seven orbs was particularily unfair because that one platform raised by a red switch actually raises too high.

The plot at the end was clever, but the Yoshi exit from Bowser's Castle was quite pointless and makes players miss some of the plot (or they think they have to go back into the castle another time and just see the plot and get the same exit, like me). The Yoshi's might as well be placed in an extra toad house

lan vuhoang
Spiny
Spiny

Postby lan vuhoang » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:27 am

Needs to be updated for SMBX 2.0.

Especially Beta 4.
I support:
Spoiler: show

Return to “Episodes”