New Super Mario Bros DS. Remastered

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.

What do you think of this recreation? Be Honest!

A Faithful Recreation and would play it over the Original!
52%
A Mediocre Game that could've been better.
11%
Not as good as I hoped and Doesn't live up to the Original.
13%
Too Different to Judge..
24%

Total votes: 46
Cedur
Toad
Toad

Re: New Super Mario Bros DS. Remastered

Postby Cedur » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:42 am

I will look again at the world map and see if I missed any secret levels. Have you made sure you counted correctly? Are there stars in the cannons? There's also no star in the secret 9-1 level, right?

EDIT: Well, I didn't miss any secrets but I recounted and I indeed missed stars. Probably due to some messed-up saving. I just call it a day, this was fun.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Bottle_of_Water
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: I am essential to life.
Current Project: Luigi's Quest - The Seven Trials
Chat Username: Bottle o' Water

Postby Bottle_of_Water » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:58 pm

Thank you Cedur, you had the biggest impact on this episode.
I usually do not like water levels in Video Games.

My Projects:

Custom World - Really Old Game, and pretty bad too. This was more of a experimental episode.

New Super Mario Bros Remaster - NSMB DS but in my style

Luigi's Quest - The Seven Trials - My Current Game I'm Working On. This is what I always wanted to make as a kid, and I've been working on this for 2 Years probably.

TheNewGuy
Eerie
Eerie
Chat Username: TNG

Postby TheNewGuy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:22 am

why are some star coins 3D/animated while others are 2D? I guess it has something to do with resizing them in other to put them in smaller gaps?
I support:
Spoiler: show

Bottle_of_Water
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: I am essential to life.
Current Project: Luigi's Quest - The Seven Trials
Chat Username: Bottle o' Water

Postby Bottle_of_Water » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:04 pm

TheNewGuy wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:22 am
why are some star coins 3D/animated while others are 2D? I guess it has something to do with resizing them in other to put them in smaller gaps?
If by that you mean why does it stop spinning? It is a thing SMBX does after you hit a P-Switch. Some objects that turn back from a brick stop their animation for some reason.
I usually do not like water levels in Video Games.

My Projects:

Custom World - Really Old Game, and pretty bad too. This was more of a experimental episode.

New Super Mario Bros Remaster - NSMB DS but in my style

Luigi's Quest - The Seven Trials - My Current Game I'm Working On. This is what I always wanted to make as a kid, and I've been working on this for 2 Years probably.

TheNewGuy
Eerie
Eerie
Chat Username: TNG

Postby TheNewGuy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:36 pm

I'm close to beating it, only big issue so far is that there's no way to check in which level you got a star. maybe add a star check after the end of every world?
1-2's checkpoint gfx is slightly cut off and Toads should say "through" instead of "threw"
I support:

Lukinsky Play
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Current Project: The Giant Tower Adventure
Chat Username: lukinskyplay

Re: Download New Super Mario Bros DS. Remastered

Postby Lukinsky Play » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:36 pm

sammerbro wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:26 am
Super Mario Craft Min wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:29 am
That's the way nsmb with the installation of SMBX2 PAL

Here are the NSMBDS for those who already have SMBX (But Starman music will be standard (from SMW))

If there are bugs, then write here
Did you get the author's permission to do this?
There are people who play on the newest version of the game, and the version on which the episode is made is beta 3. Moreover, the episode is downloaded along with the game with Beta 3. This is not convenient for those who play on new versions. So I decided to transfer it to the newest version

But if released Beta 4, creator will transfer to new version
Last edited by Lukinsky Play on Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:43 pm

The creator did not explicitely prohibit this but they didn't permit this either! Just look up his response on the previous page and accept that asking for permission is a duty of decency

It's explicitely stated that Beta 3 is needed and Beta 3 can still be found on this site, so you don't need to get worked up to bring it on the "most recent" version (which won't stay the most recent version forever as well)

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

Unknown68D
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Flair: Positivity!
Current Project: My very first SMBX Episode: The Epic Quest!
Chat Username: Unknown68D

Postby Unknown68D » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:15 am

Overview:

I loved playing through this remaster of a timeless classic once again on SMBX! Thank you so much for taking so much time & effort to create such a masterpiece of an episode! The amount of faithfulness put into it was spectacular all the way through, with technical innovations that deviated in just the right ways to keep things fresh & re-energized, such as spin-jumping replacing ground-pounding, the SMB3 exit, & the combination of propeller blocks & springs to name a few.

What I Liked/Loved:

The levels and the inter-connected world are brilliantly designed both in layout & scenery, & the use of mainly SMB1 graphics throughout was by far the best choice, as NSMB matches best with it. Due to the differentiating move-set & increased number of powerups in SMBX, it was a breath of fresh air to use multiple different power-ups throughout the episode. Likely because of this, I found the difficulty spectrum to increase substantially on both sides. Some levels were easier for sure, but certain levels proved to be quite the challenge, such as 7-Castle, 7-3 & 8-Fortress 1 to name a few.

I found a good portion of the boss fights to be increased in difficulty as well. The arenas in which you fight the koopalings & Bowser Jr. are more complex for sure, & I honestly believe you increased the jump height of all of the Koopalings to increase the difficulty further, which I applaud! It was also very nice to see a variety of final castle boss fights too! Some were similar to the original, & others did a whole lot more! By far my favourite boss fight has to be in 7-Castle where you fight a supercharged Ludwig by using the lightning bolts from Lakithunder! I've never seen anything like that before, & it proved to be quite the challenge. An epic one at that!

As of typing this, I have almost 100% completed the game as I have 79/80 stars. It's always fun seeking out all of the star coins which add an extra challenge to those who want it, like myself. I used the same system of having a star appear at the end of each stage after all the Star Coins are collected! A genius system!

Feedback on Things You Can Improve Upon:

There are two feedback items that I would like to share with you that I believe would help you improve your episode.

1. Have stars be only obtainable after bosses are defeated.
In each of the boss levels, I always found it a little odd that the star would always appear right before the boss door. In my episode, I always place the star behind a wall with its layer titled "Star Blocker", which is only hidden after the boss is defeated, so that the player must complete the stage for the star to count. I would try avoiding creating situations in which the player can lose a life after collecting a star, which I found I could take advantage of a lot. Here's a sample image of how I would set up a boss fight with all Star Coins in tow.

2. Create a Star Coin room to check the Star Coin progress.

As I have mentioned before, I have obtained 79/80 stars. Unfortunately, the only efficient way of keeping track of your collection is to either continuously play a level until all Star Coins are obtained, or manually keep track of which levels still have a star to obtain using documentation. I was sure that I collected them all on my first playthrough, but it seems as though I'm missing one. It would be ineffective & time-consuming to play each level again just to determine where I missed Star Coins. Therefore, I propose creating a level that the player can access at any time, allowing them to you can conveniently check each level via a locked door warp. You can organize each section by world & have a sign next to each locked door. If the door reads 0/1, that means there is still a start level to collect at that level. If it reads 1/1, that means the star was already obtained. This would save a LOT of time & hassle. Check the screenshot below for a visual aid!

FINAL RATING: 9.5/10

Otherwise, this episode is a hands-down fantastic one all-around! With these changes implemented, I would give this episode a perfect score! Amazing job & thank you for creating it! I know how much time goes into making these episodes & I want you to always remember that I appreciate it! All the best to you in the future!

Sincerely,
Unknown68D ~ <3
Last edited by Unknown68D on Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDA - SMBX
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Flair: Legacy Editor FTW, PGE FTL
Current Project: Worldwide Adventure (I still need to make the levels, though... -_-)
Chat Username: S.D.A.

Postby SDA - SMBX » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:35 am

I seriously like the episode which is inspired by the DS game that I've got on my R4.

But why the "item cards" from SMB3? There was a flag at the end of every level in the original.
"God damn, why I'm not out of this forum yet?"
Another thing I wanted to add in my signature. GRR...

Eduardo_R_H
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Eduardo_R_H » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:35 am

The second starcoin in world 4-5 is ungettable, as the "Bob-omb" doesn't destroy the brick blocks, but takes the coin out of them istead.

Speaking of 5-4, why did you put black koopas on the Bob-omb graphics, keeping in note that there are Bob-ombs in SMBX and the original world also had Bob-ombs?

And about the UI: You could use the default UI, since the original game did let you store powerups for later. Why did you ditch it?
Day 564 in the search for a good complete 38A TeaScript tutorial

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:22 am

Eduardo_R_H wrote:The second starcoin in world 4-5 is ungettable, as the "Bob-omb" doesn't destroy the brick blocks, but takes the coin out of them instead.

You need to think a bit outside the box for this one. The left and right wall blocks can be broken.

Eduardo_R_H
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Eduardo_R_H » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:04 am

Cedur wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:22 am
You need to think a bit outside the box for this one. The left and right wall blocks can be broken.
Oh, alright. Thanks
Day 564 in the search for a good complete 38A TeaScript tutorial

vitzie629
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: I have greatly made levels!
Chat Username: vitzie629

Postby vitzie629 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:09 am

Can you make a version of this episode in beta 4?

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:09 am

Yeah, I reread the thread and the author promised it about 9 months ago. Might be worth waiting for the next patch though.

vitzie629
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: I have greatly made levels!
Chat Username: vitzie629

Postby vitzie629 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:44 am

Cedur wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:09 am
Yeah, I reread the thread and the author promised it about 9 months ago. Might be worth waiting for the next patch though.
Okay, cool!

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:11 am

Okay, I'm making a general comment aimed at Unknown86.

Do not ever place stars after bosses. Simple reason: some bosses are really difficult; you may die on blind playthrough just due to not figuring it out, and the psychological pressure of losing the star upon dying is worse. Self-fulfilling prophecy yada yada. This pressure doesn't need to exist. Some bosses are even worth a second checkpoint! The quest of getting the star coins or dragon coins has already been fulfilled while crossing the level; the boss is not tied to this.

In short, the way it's handled in this episode or Yoshi's Archipelago etc is absolutely right, it doesn't need to be changed.

CJ_RLushi
Bit
Bit
Flair: Intention is what matters
Current Project: Another Super Mario Bros. 3 Remake [SMBX2]

Postby CJ_RLushi » Mon May 11, 2020 8:18 pm

Altough with SMBX2 β4 having default Star Coins i guess Stars arent really needed right now.

Added in 15 minutes 7 seconds:
And besides that, if bottle of water ever comes back, i'm really intrigued on how would the game change with the amount of new stuff SMBX2 has now, I don't know if it would feature those new walljump and groundpound scripts that appeared in MAGLX3 times, after all this is supposed to be a what if NSMB was in the SNES, so its supposed to use classic stuff to have, well, a classic feeling, although I really think this episode has some stuff that could be improved, like some clash, making some levels look better like the mushroom houses, this could really take advantage of LUA

This episode uses a lot of sednaiur, but there are a lot of other good tilesets that could make some levels look a lot better by reducing clash and everything, just looking a bit into the forum or the ultimate graphics pack and this would be better, even though a lot of this clash isnt really that bad, it just could be better.

Toad houses example, they really need an improvement:

My episode lol:

Chanceux2
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: People don't care about my threads! :(
Current Project: Super Toad Bros. X
Chat Username: Gamer of Studios

Postby Chanceux2 » Thu May 14, 2020 2:03 pm

LATE: Great job on this episode. (If your active)

Return to “Episodes”