SMBX Level Player

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
User avatar
Yoshi021
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Posts: 636
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:06 pm
Flair: :)
Chat Username: SetaYoshi

SMBX Level Player

Postby Yoshi021 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:17 pm

Hey you, did you just download SMBX2 beta 4 and want to try out something new? Well, you've come to the right place!

This episode is a level player, that means that within this episode you can play levels without having to go through the editor or through your files. Plus, the level player will give you access to a lot of tools and features that can make playing levels more convenient, fun and simple!

Image

FEATURES

Change Your Character On Command
Using the level player. you can change your character, costume, powerup and mount on the go!

List of Cheats
Tired of having to memorize all 147 cheats? Look through all cheats and activate them with a button press! (You may even find cheats you didn't know existed)

Camera Control
Pan the camera around and look at the surroundings! A great feature for mazy-confusing levels, or levels that have leaps of faith.

Fancy Restart
Just like in the editor, you can restart a level from any checkpoint or warp in the game.

Volume Control
Change individually volume of music and sound effects for your sound mixing needs.

Controls
Change your control set-up at any time! In case your keyboard blows up and you must use a controller now.

Speedrun
Have access to a lot of different tools specialized for speedrunning. Getting into speedrunning levels is now easier than ever!

Save States
Create and load a savestate [NOTE savestates are kinda limited and don't work once a level is reloaded]

Stats Tracking
Keep track of your deaths and completions of a level. (In the future it may keep track of even more!)

REPL
Press tab while in the menu to access REPL...for all your REPL needs.


INSTALLATION
So these features are very cool, there is only one problem...the menu only works on the level selector, BUT there is a cool way to open all these features to all the levels you play. You have to mod your installation (don't worry it's very easy)
All you have to do is add the following line to the lunabase.lua file. This file is located in "data/scripts/base/game/lunabase.lua"

Code: Select all

if not isOverworld and GameData.SMBXLP_activated and Level.filename() ~= "SMBX Level Player.lvlx" then require(getSMBXPath().."\\worlds\\"..GameData.SMBXLP_foldername.."\\SMBXLP.lua") end
Make sure you add this line AT THE VERY BOTTOM of lunabase.lua. DO NOT EDIT ANYTHING ELSE. ONLY ADD THIS SINGLE LINE AT THE BOTTOM OF lunabase.lua.

So what are you waiting for! Download the SMBX Level Player today :D
DOWNLOAD

And of course, the level player will continue to get updates in the future so please report any bugs you find and feel free to leave suggestions too!
The best way to contact me is through discord since I don't check the forums very often (I'm SetaYoshi in there)

NOTES: show
You can customize what songs play in the level selector! Drop any .ogg or .mp3 files in to the "SMBX Level PLayer/Music" folder. The level selector chooses any random file in that folder.

If something ever goes wrong while in the level selector, hold the tab key. It resets the menuKey to your pause key, opens the level menu, resets your directory, resets to a new song, and removes all NPCs on screen.

When loading a level (during the fade), press run to cancel the loading, press jump to load the level and skip the fade effect.
Press drop item key and it will move your cursor to a random option in the list.

There are a few secrets hiding in the level selector, can you find them?

If you are playing a level that has a custom pause menu and its causing interference with the level player, you can remap the button of the level player menu to any key you want. You can find this option in the settings menu.

The speedrun timer will not only save your best time, but it saves every format type separately. In speedrunning, there is a format where you have an advantage start (or AS for short). in this format, you play a level with powerups, mounts, or reserve items already set at the start of the level. There is also a multiplayer format (or MP for short) where you complete a level in multiplayer mode. the menu also saves the completion of a level based on the level exit type (or LE for short). The timer onscreen will be green if your current time is better than the format you have set in the level player menu.

The filters don't work in multiplayer (more specifically, they don't work with splitscreen).

If you go to the controls menu using a controller, you might notice that all your buttons are called "Unknown Button". This is because every button name for every controller has to be manually named. Since I don't have access to a lot of controllers, I am hoping you guys can help me. Download this level: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... _Helper.7z
Send me the name that appears when you hit the ? box. Also, send me the ID that appears on the screen when you press a controller button. For example:
Controller: Nintendo Switch Pro Controller
0 B
1 = A
2 = X
3 = Y
4 = L
5 = R
6 = -
7 = +
8 = SL
9 = sR
10 = ZL
11 = ZR
12 = Home
"Going to University is FUN!"
DOWNLOAD THE SMBX LEVEL PLAYER
CHECK OUT MY NPC PACK

Join the SMBX Episode Project Discord Server
Image

Join the SMBX 38A Discord!
Image

Join the CodeHaus Discord!
Image
Image

User avatar
FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Posts: 5948
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:39 pm
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario
Contact:

Re: SMBX Level Player

Postby FireyPaperMario » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:25 pm

Yoshi021 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:17 pm
Controls
Change your control set-up at any time! In case your keyboard blows up and you must use a controller now.
Did you just read my mind on the internet?!? Thank you! ^^"

User avatar
Cedur
Toad
Toad
Posts: 6477
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

Re: SMBX Level Player

Postby Cedur » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:43 am

So, the way I read this, this is a tool to play standalone levels? If so, shouldn't this thread be an announcement too? Or at least stickied?
Image
More Supports: show

Image
Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

User avatar
Yoshi021
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Posts: 636
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:06 pm
Flair: :)
Chat Username: SetaYoshi

Re: SMBX Level Player

Postby Yoshi021 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:01 am

Cedur wrote: So, the way I read this, this is a tool to play standalone levels? If so, shouldn't this thread be an announcement too? Or at least stickied?
Yes, it is to play standalone levels (you can also load levels from an episode too). If people think it's useful enough to be stickied, then I'm fine with that. But I don't have that kind of power here to do that.
"Going to University is FUN!"
DOWNLOAD THE SMBX LEVEL PLAYER
CHECK OUT MY NPC PACK

Join the SMBX Episode Project Discord Server
Image

Join the SMBX 38A Discord!
Image

Join the CodeHaus Discord!
Image
Image

User avatar
MrDoubleA
Swooper
Swooper
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:02 am
Contact:

Re: SMBX Level Player

Postby MrDoubleA » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:08 am

This a very neat and very handy tool. However I've noticed two bugs:

- Parallax backgrounds don't work
- Episode achievements don't work

Great work, though!
Hi. I'm not very active on the forums.
(MrDoubleA#3124 on Discord)

rooms.lua - Quick respawn & Celeste-styled rooms
simpleLayerMovement.lua - For all your custom layer movement needs!
MrDoubleA's NPC Pack
Are you a mouse?
I support: show
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Posts: 5543
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:04 am
Current Project: ???

Re: SMBX Level Player

Postby Pseudo » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:13 pm

This is super great!
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016


User avatar
cato
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:06 am
Flair: Creative, opinionated, but poor expression
Current Project: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Chat Username: Cato
Contact:

Re: SMBX Level Player

Postby cato » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:52 am

I am speechless.
It is so smooth and advanced!
Good job making this, now I can play levels without opening the editor.
By the way, it may crash if you are playing a level from an episode having lua scripts.

AldenBlueten
Goomba
Goomba
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:57 pm

Re: SMBX Level Player

Postby AldenBlueten » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:35 pm

hello, i try to paste the bottom line in and it just doesn't work. there's an error unrelated to lunabase.lua but thats been popping up every time i launch a level even before i edited lunabase.lua

it just has the vanilla pause menu. and i'm playing the princess cliche.

User avatar
Cedur
Toad
Toad
Posts: 6477
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

Re: SMBX Level Player

Postby Cedur » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:01 am

AldenBlueten" wrote:it just has the vanilla pause menu. and i'm playing the princess cliche

I hope you took notice of the fact that this is called "smbx level player" and not "smbx episode player"
Image
More Supports: show

Image
Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

AldenBlueten
Goomba
Goomba
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:57 pm

Re: SMBX Level Player

Postby AldenBlueten » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:29 pm

Cedur wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:01 am
AldenBlueten" wrote:it just has the vanilla pause menu. and i'm playing the princess cliche

I hope you took notice of the fact that this is called "smbx level player" and not "smbx episode player"
i infact did. i was trying to play a level from it. the thing was that i specifically pasted that line at the bottom of lunabase.lua and it did absolutely nothing when i loaded the first real level using the player.

maybe i have the worst wording. i dunno.

User avatar
Yoshi021
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Posts: 636
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:06 pm
Flair: :)
Chat Username: SetaYoshi

Re: SMBX Level Player

Postby Yoshi021 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:51 pm

MrDoubleA wrote: This a very neat and very handy tool. However I've noticed two bugs:

- Parallax backgrounds don't work
- Episode achievements don't work

Great work, though!
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I will see what I can do this weekend to get it fixed.


cato wrote: I am speechless.
It is so smooth and advanced!
Good job making this, now I can play levels without opening the editor.
By the way, it may crash if you are playing a level from an episode having lua scripts.
The Level Player shouldn't be causing the lua in the level to crash. Can you tell me what level you are playing (preferably show me a download link). I want to check if the level has a bug or if my menu is causing the lua to crash, and if so what I can do to fix it.


AldenBlueten wrote: hello, i try to paste the bottom line in and it just doesn't work. there's an error unrelated to lunabase.lua but thats been popping up every time i launch a level even before i edited lunabase.lua

it just has the vanilla pause menu. and i'm playing the princess cliche.
Can you show me what error you are getting? If its something along the lines of "debugtools.lua crashed, attemp to index local f". This is a bug with beta 4, not my menu. To fix this, please create a folder called "logs" in your data folder.
And to clarify, the level player can perfectly fine play levels from episodes, they don't necessarily have to be standalone levels.
"Going to University is FUN!"
DOWNLOAD THE SMBX LEVEL PLAYER
CHECK OUT MY NPC PACK

Join the SMBX Episode Project Discord Server
Image

Join the SMBX 38A Discord!
Image

Join the CodeHaus Discord!
Image
Image

User avatar
cato
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:06 am
Flair: Creative, opinionated, but poor expression
Current Project: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Chat Username: Cato
Contact:

Re: SMBX Level Player

Postby cato » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:17 pm

Yoshi021 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:51 pm
cato wrote: I am speechless.
It is so smooth and advanced!
Good job making this, now I can play levels without opening the editor.
By the way, it may crash if you are playing a level from an episode having lua scripts.
The Level Player shouldn't be causing the lua in the level to crash. Can you tell me what level you are playing (preferably show me a download link). I want to check if the level has a bug or if my menu is causing the lua to crash, and if so what I can do to fix it.
The demo from Beta 4.

User avatar
MrDoubleA
Swooper
Swooper
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:02 am
Contact:

Re: SMBX Level Player

Postby MrDoubleA » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:34 pm

cato wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:17 pm
Yoshi021 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:51 pm
cato wrote: I am speechless.
It is so smooth and advanced!
Good job making this, now I can play levels without opening the editor.
By the way, it may crash if you are playing a level from an episode having lua scripts.
The Level Player shouldn't be causing the lua in the level to crash. Can you tell me what level you are playing (preferably show me a download link). I want to check if the level has a bug or if my menu is causing the lua to crash, and if so what I can do to fix it.
The demo from Beta 4.
Is the error this?
Error: show
Image
If it is, then that's a known problem with the episode which will be fixed in the hotfix. In the meantime, it can be fixed by adding this comma in its luna.lua file:
Fix: show
Image
Hi. I'm not very active on the forums.
(MrDoubleA#3124 on Discord)

rooms.lua - Quick respawn & Celeste-styled rooms
simpleLayerMovement.lua - For all your custom layer movement needs!
MrDoubleA's NPC Pack
Are you a mouse?
I support: show
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
cato
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:06 am
Flair: Creative, opinionated, but poor expression
Current Project: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Chat Username: Cato
Contact:

Re: SMBX Level Player

Postby cato » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:20 pm

MrDoubleA wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:34 pm
Is the error this?
Error: show
Image
If it is, then that's a known problem with the episode which will be fixed in the hotfix. In the meantime, it can be fixed by adding this comma in its luna.lua file:
Fix: show
Image
No, this:
Spoiler: show
== Crash Summary ==
LunaLua Version: LUNALUA 915bbba
Exception Code: 0xc000008f (VB Error)
VB6 Error Code: 9 (Subscript out of range)

== Stack Trace ==
0: 660CE246 (MSVBVM60): rtcDoEvents
1: c:\github_new\lunalua\lunadll\misc\runtimehookcomponents\runtimehookhooks.cpp (2155): runtimeHookSaveGame
2: 008C13DF (smbx): Sub_Main
3: 6600A048 (MSVBVM60): EbLoadRunTime
4: 66007B3E (MSVBVM60): BASIC_CLASS_QueryInterface
5: 66003981 (MSVBVM60): ThunRTMain
6: 660036FA (MSVBVM60): ThunRTMain
7: 66003600 (MSVBVM60): ThunRTMain
8: 0040BDE2 (smbx): start
9: 77337B74 (ntdll): RtlGetAppContainerNamedObjectPath
10: 77337B44 (ntdll): RtlGetAppContainerNamedObjectPath

User avatar
Yoshi021
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Posts: 636
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:06 pm
Flair: :)
Chat Username: SetaYoshi

Re: SMBX Level Player

Postby Yoshi021 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:11 pm

cato wrote: No, this:
Spoiler: show
== Crash Summary ==
LunaLua Version: LUNALUA 915bbba
Exception Code: 0xc000008f (VB Error)
VB6 Error Code: 9 (Subscript out of range)

== Stack Trace ==
0: 660CE246 (MSVBVM60): rtcDoEvents
1: c:\github_new\lunalua\lunadll\misc\runtimehookcomponents\runtimehookhooks.cpp (2155): runtimeHookSaveGame
2: 008C13DF (smbx): Sub_Main
3: 6600A048 (MSVBVM60): EbLoadRunTime
4: 66007B3E (MSVBVM60): BASIC_CLASS_QueryInterface
5: 66003981 (MSVBVM60): ThunRTMain
6: 660036FA (MSVBVM60): ThunRTMain
7: 66003600 (MSVBVM60): ThunRTMain
8: 0040BDE2 (smbx): start
9: 77337B74 (ntdll): RtlGetAppContainerNamedObjectPath
10: 77337B44 (ntdll): RtlGetAppContainerNamedObjectPath
What specific level did this happen and what did you do to cause this crash? I need this information to replicate it. I think I might know what is causing it, but I would like to make sure that this is fixed too.
"Going to University is FUN!"
DOWNLOAD THE SMBX LEVEL PLAYER
CHECK OUT MY NPC PACK

Join the SMBX Episode Project Discord Server
Image

Join the SMBX 38A Discord!
Image

Join the CodeHaus Discord!
Image
Image

User avatar
cato
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:06 am
Flair: Creative, opinionated, but poor expression
Current Project: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Chat Username: Cato
Contact:

Re: SMBX Level Player

Postby cato » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:12 am

Yoshi021 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:11 pm
cato wrote: No, this:
Spoiler: show
== Crash Summary ==
LunaLua Version: LUNALUA 915bbba
Exception Code: 0xc000008f (VB Error)
VB6 Error Code: 9 (Subscript out of range)

== Stack Trace ==
0: 660CE246 (MSVBVM60): rtcDoEvents
1: c:\github_new\lunalua\lunadll\misc\runtimehookcomponents\runtimehookhooks.cpp (2155): runtimeHookSaveGame
2: 008C13DF (smbx): Sub_Main
3: 6600A048 (MSVBVM60): EbLoadRunTime
4: 66007B3E (MSVBVM60): BASIC_CLASS_QueryInterface
5: 66003981 (MSVBVM60): ThunRTMain
6: 660036FA (MSVBVM60): ThunRTMain
7: 66003600 (MSVBVM60): ThunRTMain
8: 0040BDE2 (smbx): start
9: 77337B74 (ntdll): RtlGetAppContainerNamedObjectPath
10: 77337B44 (ntdll): RtlGetAppContainerNamedObjectPath
What specific level did this happen and what did you do to cause this crash? I need this information to replicate it. I think I might know what is causing it, but I would like to make sure that this is fixed too.
To be honest, this crash script was made after exiting that Metroid level from the Beta 4 demo stages. I can give you more with other stages, but you get the point.



Return to “Episodes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: flame and 18 guests