Bowser's Invasion

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
User avatar
Nadav
Pokey
Pokey
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:09 pm

Bowser's Invasion

Postby Nadav » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:41 pm

Image
Hey guys, I made a more new episode called:"Bowser Invasion".
Plot:
Spoiler: show
Mario is on a vacation at Resort Island, but then he finds out that Bowser took over the Mushroom Kingdom, Will Mario save the kingdom from Bowser's terror?
screenshots:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Worlds:
Spoiler: show
Resort Island
Plains and Mountains
Forest Of Wonders
Snow/Ice Mountain
Pirate Cove
The Destroyed Mushroom Kingdom/Bowser's occupied Kingdom
Download:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jwMVkX ... sp=sharing
Hope you will like it, Enjoy :)
Last edited by Nadav on Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my episodes:
Image
Image

User avatar
Saltlord
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:28 pm
Flair: bruh
Current Project: vibin'
Chat Username: Saltlord#3269
Contact:

Re: Bowser's Invasion

Postby Saltlord » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:53 am

Just downloaded this and I already have a small complaint. Some of the music tracks are thirty minutes long, which is just unnecessary. I suggest you try to find shorter versions of the songs and replace the long ones.

Image

Image


User avatar
Nadav
Pokey
Pokey
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:09 pm

Re: Bowser's Invasion

Postby Nadav » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:10 am

Saltlord wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:53 am
Just downloaded this and I already have a small complaint. Some of the music tracks are thirty minutes long, which is just unnecessary. I suggest you try to find shorter versions of the songs and replace the long ones.
What's so wrong with it?
Check out my episodes:
Image
Image

User avatar
Saltlord
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:28 pm
Flair: bruh
Current Project: vibin'
Chat Username: Saltlord#3269
Contact:

Re: Bowser's Invasion

Postby Saltlord » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:12 am

Nadav wrote:
Saltlord wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:53 am
Just downloaded this and I already have a small complaint. Some of the music tracks are thirty minutes long, which is just unnecessary. I suggest you try to find shorter versions of the songs and replace the long ones.
What's so wrong with it?
like I said, it's not a huge deal, but this does increase the file size significantly. Shorter versions of these tracks can easily be found on YouTube.

Image

Image


User avatar
Cedur
Toad
Toad
Posts: 6383
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

Re: Bowser's Invasion

Postby Cedur » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:40 am

Nadav wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:10 am
Saltlord wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:53 am
Just downloaded this and I already have a small complaint. Some of the music tracks are thirty minutes long, which is just unnecessary. I suggest you try to find shorter versions of the songs and replace the long ones.
What's so wrong with it?

To be precise, this is 794 MB large as of now. Judging by the size alone and not knowing about the music files, I'd expect an episode of around 100+ levels from this info. Music literally makes up for the lion's share of episode size.
Image
More Supports: show

Image
Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

User avatar
Daring Tombstone
Bit
Bit
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:57 pm
Flair: What? Not 1000 posts? That means I suck right?
Current Project: Something Maybe
Chat Username: Chaperone

Re: Bowser's Invasion

Postby Daring Tombstone » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:51 pm

Use audacity. Free program to edit your soundtracks. Easy to use. Will take like 1 minute.

For even better results on your soundtracks use this https://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/1341/. Takes a bit longer but it's worth it. If anyone else is like me they aren't going to download 700 MBs. Maybe they have a slow connection or limited data and whatnot. Once you take a few moments to learn how looping oggs work you'll see how much better it is. However if this episode is using 1.3 it's not going read oggs. Not sure about 1.4.
Happy Dance
Image
Check out my completed episode
Spoiler: show
Image
Check out my halloween level
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Saltlord
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:28 pm
Flair: bruh
Current Project: vibin'
Chat Username: Saltlord#3269
Contact:

Re: Bowser's Invasion

Postby Saltlord » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:14 am

So, I finished this episode yesterday and got a couple of things to say about it.

For starters, the levels themselves were pretty alright. Most of them were casual romps, meaning that they weren't too memorable, but fun to play regardless. Generally speaking, there was an overall lack of powerups and a couple of the longer levels should've had checkpoints. I don't know if this was done to artificially raise the difficulty or just an oversight, but please consider placing a checkpoint and an item box right next to it if a level takes several minutes to complete. Otherwise, you end up frustrating the player. Speaking of frustrating, the bosses are without a doubt the worst part of this episode. At best, they are mildly annoying and at worst, they feel like outright patting.
Spoiler: show
Image
Because I find it especially obnoxious, I will use the fight against the Mother Brain reskin in "Crows and Trees" to demonstrate my problems with the bosses. You essentially have to circle completely around it, grab a bomb, throw it at the crow and repeat the process for a dozen times or so, while dodging a couple of Rinkas. Since the boss has no other attacks, it outstays it welcome very fast. With some small changes, this could've been pretty cool though. As an example, if the boss was an enemy which dies in one hit, you could've given it a Death event which causes the stage to alter.
Moving on, the world map could use some tweaks. Its horizontal, linear layout is rather uninspired and the pathway partially is a straight line. I'd suggest you take a look at the world maps of other episodes, such as The Invasion 2, and try to create more natural-looking geometry based on them. Also, there are also a couple of tileset errors.
Spoiler: show
Image
Take this screenshot, for example. The upper right skull doesn't seem to be on the ground, the pathway begins in the wall and continues above the sea and the plain doesn't "end" in the water. I don't think that a sloppily executed world map is much of a problem (nor do I know anyone who sees it as such), but there is a lot of room for improvements.
Lastly, I'll quickly address the plot.
Spoiler: show
I liked the idea of characters joining Mario's cause, however, the problem is that all of this happens in the last world, right before the finale. If Pete, Lock and Luigi were playable way earlier, they could've provided some much-needed variety to this episode. Going in, I expected Mario was going to die at the end, due to one of your posts in the level music suggestion thread a couple of weeks ago. Honestly, I was somewhat surprised when Lock died, but I didn't really care. Lock was introduced about twenty minutes before his demise, so his death didn't really affect me. Again, if he were playable earlier and had more lines of dialogue, this could have been a somber ending.
In conclusion, this episode was flawed, yet entertaining and I think this it is a definite improvement from your previous one, Luigi's Fight for Love. Still, the aforementioned issues keep me from considering this as a good episode.

Image

Image


User avatar
Nadav
Pokey
Pokey
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:09 pm

Re: Bowser's Invasion

Postby Nadav » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:51 am

Saltlord wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:14 am
So, I finished this episode yesterday and got a couple of things to say about it.

For starters, the levels themselves were pretty alright. Most of them were casual romps, meaning that they weren't too memorable, but fun to play regardless. Generally speaking, there was an overall lack of powerups and a couple of the longer levels should've had checkpoints. I don't know if this was done to artificially raise the difficulty or just an oversight, but please consider placing a checkpoint and an item box right next to it if a level takes several minutes to complete. Otherwise, you end up frustrating the player. Speaking of frustrating, the bosses are without a doubt the worst part of this episode. At best, they are mildly annoying and at worst, they feel like outright patting.
Spoiler: show
Image
Because I find it especially obnoxious, I will use the fight against the Mother Brain reskin in "Crows and Trees" to demonstrate my problems with the bosses. You essentially have to circle completely around it, grab a bomb, throw it at the crow and repeat the process for a dozen times or so, while dodging a couple of Rinkas. Since the boss has no other attacks, it outstays it welcome very fast. With some small changes, this could've been pretty cool though. As an example, if the boss was an enemy which dies in one hit, you could've given it a Death event which causes the stage to alter.
Moving on, the world map could use some tweaks. Its horizontal, linear layout is rather uninspired and the pathway partially is a straight line. I'd suggest you take a look at the world maps of other episodes, such as The Invasion 2, and try to create more natural-looking geometry based on them. Also, there are also a couple of tileset errors.
Spoiler: show
Image
Take this screenshot, for example. The upper right skull doesn't seem to be on the ground, the pathway begins in the wall and continues above the sea and the plain doesn't "end" in the water. I don't think that a sloppily executed world map is much of a problem (nor do I know anyone who sees it as such), but there is a lot of room for improvements.
Lastly, I'll quickly address the plot.
Spoiler: show
I liked the idea of characters joining Mario's cause, however, the problem is that all of this happens in the last world, right before the finale. If Pete, Lock and Luigi were playable way earlier, they could've provided some much-needed variety to this episode. Going in, I expected Mario was going to die at the end, due to one of your posts in the level music suggestion thread a couple of weeks ago. Honestly, I was somewhat surprised when Lock died, but I didn't really care. Lock was introduced about twenty minutes before his demise, so his death didn't really affect me. Again, if he were playable earlier and had more lines of dialogue, this could have been a somber ending.
In conclusion, this episode was flawed, yet entertaining and I think this it is a definite improvement from your previous one, Luigi's Fight for Love. Still, the aforementioned issues keep me from considering this as a good episode.
Thanks about the invested feedback.
I dont want to argue you but from what I remember I put lots of power ups.
Also you are right about that it could be better if I had put characters earlier.. That's because I had the idea of new characters too late, when I staret creating the last world..
Check out my episodes:
Image
Image

Norikins
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:43 pm

Re: Bowser's Invasion

Postby Norikins » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:28 pm

This episode is decent, though I only beat the first two worlds as I prefer the fancy new 2.0 episodes. I believe its the first 1.3 episode posted on the forums this decade.
Spoiler: show
Saltlord wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:14 am
Image
Because I find it especially obnoxious, I will use the fight against the Mother Brain reskin in "Crows and Trees" to demonstrate my problems with the bosses. You essentially have to circle completely around it, grab a bomb, throw it at the crow and repeat the process for a dozen times or so, while dodging a couple of Rinkas. Since the boss has no other attacks, it outstays it welcome very fast. With some small changes, this could've been pretty cool though. As an example, if the boss was an enemy which dies in one hit, you could've given it a Death event which causes the stage to alter.
I was able to beat that boss by running and jumping at high speed from the platform with the bombs to the upper platform and dropping the bombs through the hole, directly on top of the bird with a topknot. The fight is kind of baffling considering Mario has just defeated said bird only several levels ago as the boss of World 2. The biggest flaw with it IMO is that it's at the middle of the level after the checkpoint, so if Mario loses a life after the fight he has to fight the boss again.

User avatar
FirestarPlays
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:26 pm
Current Project: Super Mario and the Plague of Valerius, Firestar's GFX Pack
Chat Username: Firestar

Re: Bowser's Invasion

Postby FirestarPlays » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:55 am

Norikins wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:28 pm
This episode is decent, though I only beat the first two worlds as I prefer the fancy new 2.0 episodes. I believe its the first 1.3 episode posted on the forums this decade.
Spoiler: show
Saltlord wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:14 am
Image
Because I find it especially obnoxious, I will use the fight against the Mother Brain reskin in "Crows and Trees" to demonstrate my problems with the bosses. You essentially have to circle completely around it, grab a bomb, throw it at the crow and repeat the process for a dozen times or so, while dodging a couple of Rinkas. Since the boss has no other attacks, it outstays it welcome very fast. With some small changes, this could've been pretty cool though. As an example, if the boss was an enemy which dies in one hit, you could've given it a Death event which causes the stage to alter.
I was able to beat that boss by running and jumping at high speed from the platform with the bombs to the upper platform and dropping the bombs through the hole, directly on top of the bird with a topknot. The fight is kind of baffling considering Mario has just defeated said bird only several levels ago as the boss of World 2. The biggest flaw with it IMO is that it's at the middle of the level after the checkpoint, so if Mario loses a life after the fight he has to fight the boss again.
This is why I would put most bosses at the end of a level. Boom Boom is an exception, because it is always reaaaaaaallllllly easy.
Image

User avatar
Nadav
Pokey
Pokey
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:09 pm

Re: Bowser's Invasion

Postby Nadav » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:04 pm

Daring Tombstone wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:51 pm
Use audacity. Free program to edit your soundtracks. Easy to use. Will take like 1 minute.

For even better results on your soundtracks use this https://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/1341/. Takes a bit longer but it's worth it. If anyone else is like me they aren't going to download 700 MBs. Maybe they have a slow connection or limited data and whatnot. Once you take a few moments to learn how looping oggs work you'll see how much better it is. However if this episode is using 1.3 it's not going read oggs. Not sure about 1.4.
Sorry if it's a stupid question, but what do you mean by "reading oggs"?, Also my episode is from version 1.3 so what is better to use?
Check out my episodes:
Image
Image

User avatar
Saltlord
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:28 pm
Flair: bruh
Current Project: vibin'
Chat Username: Saltlord#3269
Contact:

Re: Bowser's Invasion

Postby Saltlord » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:54 pm

Nadav wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:04 pm
Sorry if it's a stupid question, but what do you mean by "reading oggs"?, Also my episode is from version 1.3 so what is better to use?
It means that 1.3 is incapable of playing .ogg music files. Still, you could've shortened some of the longer mp3s by using Audacity.

Image

Image


User avatar
Nadav
Pokey
Pokey
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:09 pm

Re: Bowser's Invasion

Postby Nadav » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:05 pm

Ok, I replaced the long songs to shorter songs, now it weighs less than earlier (I replaced the download link as well of course).
Hope it will make more people want to download it.
Check out my episodes:
Image
Image

User avatar
Cedur
Toad
Toad
Posts: 6383
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

Re: Bowser's Invasion

Postby Cedur » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:13 am

Yeah thanks, this went down from 700MB to less than 300MB! I downloaded this, but I don't promise to play this yet (got so much other stuff).
Image
More Supports: show

Image
Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

User avatar
Chanceux2
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:39 pm
Flair: People don't care about my threads! :(
Current Project: Super Toad Bros. X
Chat Username: Gamer of Studios
Contact:

Re: Bowser's Invasion

Postby Chanceux2 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:42 am

Okay so I just downloaded this and so far wasn't so bad. Why can't you use this for 2.0 beta 4 Patch 1?
And if you dont have then Download right here

Well its an instant download it should be fine

User avatar
TheDJ19
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:21 pm
Flair: Work hard. Play hard.
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Multiplayer | Super Mario Maker SMW Toad Costumes
Chat Username: TheDJ

Re: Bowser's Invasion

Postby TheDJ19 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:52 pm

I've been playing it and to me it's like The Invasion 2 but just way more intense.
I like to play basketball and I can barely dunk.

Note: If you have questions about anything I make then reply on my topics or email me.
8-) TheDJ19 8-)

My Projects:
Spoiler: show
Image

Super Mario Maker 2 - SMW Toad Costumes
Image
All projects have been delayed.

Jojo2
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 4:09 pm
Chat Username: Jojo2

Re: Bowser's Invasion

Postby Jojo2 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:13 pm

That episode was nice, I espcialy liked the last world and also the cave of heaven was lovely.

User avatar
Nadav
Pokey
Pokey
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:09 pm

Re: Bowser's Invasion

Postby Nadav » Mon May 25, 2020 4:22 am

Eclipsed played this episode, if someone intersted.
Here is the link: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/587878186
Check out my episodes:
Image
Image


Return to “Episodes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests