Rex's Revenge (SMBX 1.4.4 38A) V.1

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
BluZombie
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Current Project: anything, really
Chat Username: Blu

Rex's Revenge (SMBX 1.4.4 38A) V.1

Postby BluZombie » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:36 pm

A long time ago, I created a level known as Sky Mountain. This level featured a character I named "Rex", a scientist SMW Rex with a burning hatred for Mario and the mechanical skills needed to fulfill his wrathful desire to destroy the Jumpman once and for all.

Then, I proceeded to make "Rex's Revenge," an entire episode that revolves around Rex being the main villain. I never finished making it, but, after a long period of not touching SMBX, I finally returned and vowed to complete the episode.

Over 120 levels, compacted into an intense and challenging episode over a year's worth of on-and-off editing and designing, Rex's Revenge is finally here. A massive test of skill, trial and error, and planning, this episode is for veterans only!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/u82tqc1c ... y.zip/file

Good luck out there!

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
When you live in a world where nothing makes sense, after a while, it does.

I support:

Chanceux2
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: People don't care about my threads! :(
Current Project: Super Toad Bros. X
Chat Username: Gamer of Studios

Re: Rex's Revenge (SMBX 1.4.4 38A) V.1

Postby Chanceux2 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:47 am

I'm hoping you put an screenshot in the same spoiler but anyways this isn't bad at all

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:10 am

There are 8 worlds with 9-10 levels on average. The 120+ level count also includes things like "boss", "miniboss", "warp", "toad" etc. I'll check this out.

EDIT: also there's a 85% save stat in the installation
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

BluZombie
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby BluZombie » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:52 pm

Cedur wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:10 am
There are 8 worlds with 9-10 levels on average. The 120+ level count also includes things like "boss", "miniboss", "warp", "toad" etc. I'll check this out.

EDIT: also there's a 85% save stat in the installation
oops, guess I included my playtest data on accident

I support:

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:47 am

Ok so I played the first couple of introductory stages.
- First two levels are quite short, and the goalposts are also quite short (I assume this continues in the next levels).
- Cutoff in level 0-3 when the bombs shatter the ground and when Peach is kidnapped.
- The castle crumbling is quite unfair and almost made me game-over. And there's cutoff there too.
- There's an extremely long path on the world map after completing the introductory stages.

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

BluZombie
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby BluZombie » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:55 pm

Cedur wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:47 am
- First two levels are quite short, and the goalposts are also quite short (I assume this continues in the next levels).
- Cutoff in level 0-3 when the bombs shatter the ground and when Peach is kidnapped.
- The castle crumbling is quite unfair and almost made me game-over. And there's cutoff there too.
- There's an extremely long path on the world map after completing the introductory stages.
The quality of the levels should improve as you continue; when I first worked on this about a year or so ago, I'll admit that the first levels were indeed really bad and I never really wanted to go through and fix them because I was too focused on finishing the later levels and getting the entire episode out and ready. I should definitely have gone back and repaired some of the older levels and fixed the issue of using massive bridges to get from world to world, so I completely understand how it may look unfinished around the earlier sections of the episode. I do guarantee that later levels will be better than early levels, though I can't say I'll return to this and fix it much ( I've had to re-export this episode at least 4 times already for glitches, and it's a project I would rather just leave alone at this point. )

Oh, and if you think the crumbling castle section was difficult, some harder challenges are yet to come ( though they won't be as unfair as the sudden "oh no the floor collapsed" )

I support:

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:17 pm

BluZombie wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:55 pm
Cedur wrote:
The quality of the levels should improve as you continue; when I first worked on this about a year or so ago, I'll admit that the first levels were indeed really bad and I never really wanted to go through and fix them because I was too focused on finishing the later levels and getting the entire episode out and ready. I should definitely have gone back and repaired some of the older levels and fixed the issue of using massive bridges to get from world to world, so I completely understand how it may look unfinished around the earlier sections of the episode. I do guarantee that later levels will be better than early levels, though I can't say I'll return to this and fix it much ( I've had to re-export this episode at least 4 times already for glitches, and it's a project I would rather just leave alone at this point. )

Oh, and if you think the crumbling castle section was difficult, some harder challenges are yet to come ( though they won't be as unfair as the sudden "oh no the floor collapsed" )

would you still like to hear feedback for the next levels when I continue this?

BluZombie
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby BluZombie » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:17 pm

Cedur wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:17 pm
BluZombie wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:55 pm
Cedur wrote:

would you still like to hear feedback for the next levels when I continue this?
Yes, I'd like that, thank you

I support:

dericobanjo
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: Try out Super Sackboy 64 in LBP3!
Chat Username: dericobanjo

Postby dericobanjo » Fri May 08, 2020 10:58 pm

Where is secret exit in 2-4?? (Is it the rising lava level in world 2 with a red dot on the map), I even checked in the create mode because it has no sense that there a secret exit and I could not even find it in the create mode but I can see there is a locked path and even a unreachable castle in world 2, Im so confused...

Eclipsed
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Chat Username: Eclipsed

Postby Eclipsed » Sat May 09, 2020 4:06 am

dericobanjo wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:58 pm
Where is secret exit in 2-4?? (Is it the rising lava level in world 2 with a red dot on the map), I even checked in the create mode because it has no sense that there a secret exit and I could not even find it in the create mode but I can see there is a locked path and even a unreachable castle in world 2, Im so confused...
You can't get that secret exit in world 2. It's not set properly at all.

dericobanjo
Spiny
Spiny

Postby dericobanjo » Sat May 09, 2020 10:08 am

Eclipsed wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:06 am
dericobanjo wrote:
So that secret toad house is impossible to get in???

Eclipsed
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Eclipsed » Sat May 09, 2020 1:04 pm

dericobanjo wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:08 am
Eclipsed wrote:
dericobanjo wrote:
yep

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Sat May 09, 2020 1:48 pm

I forgot about this lol.

I made a post draft for a whole World 1 feedback post. Here's what I got for the first two levels.

1-1: there is just one dragon coin, and it oddly gives you 2,000 points.
1-2: the checkpoint BGO appear incompletely (the left side is hidden behind the bushes). It annoys me that bottomless pits send the player to the same chamber which they have to redo over and over to get back to the start point / checkpoint. One might also survive the first half and not notice the key after the checkpoint and then fall and they have to do the entire first half again.

dericobanjo
Spiny
Spiny

Postby dericobanjo » Sat May 09, 2020 4:06 pm

Eclipsed wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:04 pm
dericobanjo wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:08 am
Eclipsed wrote:

yep
Why the creator make effort into making a level that unaccessible anyway??

Eclipsed
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Eclipsed » Sat May 09, 2020 4:09 pm

dericobanjo wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:06 pm

It's clear the creator didn't test their levels properly. They probably thought it was accessible

dericobanjo
Spiny
Spiny

Postby dericobanjo » Sat May 09, 2020 4:50 pm

Eclipsed wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:09 pm
dericobanjo wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:06 pm

It's clear the creator didn't test their levels properly. They probably thought it was accessible
Well... rip those level, I really like to beat SMBX episode at 100% but those bug are really bad, and I can see a castle level in world 2 in the editor that also innaccessible because there no path that go to that level, I hope the further world wont have bug like that.

Return to “Episodes”