LEGEND OF MARIO

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Super Nick Bros X
Banned

Re: LEGEND OF MARIO

Postby Super Nick Bros X » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:56 am

bruh

zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zlaker » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:24 am

Super Nick Bros X wrote:bruh
Don't make these kind of posts please.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

MaBra
Goomba
Goomba

Postby MaBra » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:04 am

Where can i find the normal version?

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:09 am

MaBra wrote:Where can i find the normal version?
Go to the download link in the OP?
im bored

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:12 pm

I recently got a chance to play this episode, and it wasn't very good. First of all, other people have pointed out mistakes months ago that still haven't been fixed:
Darksword231 wrote:
Spoiler: show
2.If this coin is supposed to signify a secret block (which shouldn't be secret considering it's mandatory to get) it should at least be a different colour than the rest.

3. Vine blocks shouldn't be on the ground, because they can only be hit by a turtle shell, which most people would only think about doing if they wanted to find secrets, also, the fact that you have to hit (and climb) another 2 vines after this one to get the star, just wastes time.
PROX wrote:in level 1-2, the area after the purple pipe maze, the coin arrow shouldn't be there; in fact, it would be better if that entire section was gone. I mean, why would you make a player think that he or she can go to that area only to find out that they have to turn around. There's no key, power-ups, or secret pipe/door so that area is completely pointless.
And this is by far the biggest problem that has already been pointed out:
Lord Nagaviper wrote:The strangest thing I came across was that there were 4 collectible stars in world 2-1, the hammer suit level. However, the Star World painting shows that there are actually 6 stars in that level, and I couldn't find the other two. After looking in the level editor, I found that THREE SECTIONS of the level were taken out and left unfinished, with two stars in them both.
Why didn't you bother to fix these issues? It's not like they're minor issues that would take a great amount of effort to fix; in fact, they're fairly major issues that are quite simple to fix. If you've forgotten where the two unreachable stars in 2-1 are, I've provided screenshots so you can remove them:
To those who think this star is reachable, this is actually a duplicate of section 3:
Anyway, my review of LEGEND OF MARIO:

The episode starts off quite promising with a relatively decent first level, despite the aforementioned mandatory invisible block and ground block. For the invisible block, I recommend placing a Toad under it who says something like "If you see something suspicious, like this coin above me, try jumping! You might be able to find a secret! Just keep in mind there may not be a coin to indicate the other secrets." and for the ground blocks, I recommend adding a Koopa generator somewhere in that section since, in my play-through, I killed the Koopa shells and was unable to progress without cheating because of it. Yes, your intro level has a design flaw that forced me to cheat.

However, the episode's biggest problem becomes prevalent by the first level:
You pad out your episode by stealing level designs from canon Mario games.
That isn't even a reference or an homage to SMB1's 1-2; that's flat-out theft. I don't even know what to say; you should just know not to do that. Not only is it just wrong, it's also lazy design since it shows that you couldn't think of something original to put there instead. The worst part is that this isn't the only instance of level theft; you also steal 5 levels from SMB3 as well (one of which is the last level in this episode!), along with the battle arena from Mario Bros, which you used twice in the same level. That would be lazy even if the arena was your original design!

Speaking of design theft, having almost each level end in one of those SMW bonus room clones gets repetitive after a while. It would be better if you simply had the levels end instead of warp the player to one of those corridors each time, especially since it's really easy to get lives outside of those SMW bonus room clones.

Anyway, back to the parts where you actually tried:
This background image looks awkward when the player stands in front of it. I recommend replacing it with the background image where the broken pipe is at the bottom of the sprite.
This level has the checkpoint right here by the end of the level, effectively making the checkpoint pointless. I recommend moving the checkpoint closer to where the key is.
This part of this level is quite annoying. I can forgive the carry-able spring since springs can normally be carried in SMBX (though I stand by the fact that Sonic the Hedgehog styled springs normally can't be picked up, so using that spring instead of a standard SMW spring is unintuitive), but by putting invisible blocks below the exit warp, you force the player to go through the same level twice (once to activate the blocks, then again to get the key), then backtrack, both of which are bad design choices. I recommend removing those two invisible blocks.
When I made it to the first castle, I noticed that the castle names weren't translated. I know that this technically isn't your fault since you weren't in charge of the translation, but I still think it's worth mentioning.

Speaking of the first castle, it's unintuitive that the player is supposed to leave the key at the bottom and climb the vine without it, mainly because it is possible to bring the key up the vine without cheating, as PROX implied, and because all of the previous levels made the player keep the key until the end of the level. I recommend removing that key and unlocking the door attached to the chain.

Another big problem this episode has are the lazily designed boss fights. Not only do you just stick one of SMBX's pre-programmed bosses in the arena, but for the first two dungeons, the arena is designed so that the fights become easier than if the arena were simply a flat, empty room, making the boss fights even more boring. For the first boss fight (which, sadly, is the most fun and well-thought-out boss fight in this episode), you have the player start on a ledge where he/she can simply jump on top of the bosses when they come near, removing any challenge the bosses once had. The second boss fight is actually easier than the first since it just involves fighting a swarm of normal enemies, and the one pre-programmed boss that does appear can be beaten by simply standing still and waiting for the boss to jump into you and kill itself:
The third boss fight isn't even worth mentioning since it's literally just a generic SMB3 Bowser fight, and the final boss fight is literally exactly the same as the third fight! Even if you were too lazy to make a custom boss, you should have at least designed the arenas in such a way to make the pre-programmed boss fights unique and challenging. If you're not sure how to do that, I made a tutorial on the subject: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =81&t=8890

All right, on to the hub levels:

In the first hub level, the warp in front of the door in section 11 (warp 9) is a "Moving Up" pipe warp, not a door warp. You should fix that. Also, the song you used in that section is quite short and repetitive. I recommend using a longer song instead, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZgnwVAss8M

I will say one positive thing about the first hub: the location of its secret star (the one in section 4) was clever.

Speaking of the hubs, while it is nice that you allow the player to see how many stars are in each level, having each door in its own section is rather annoying since the player has to enter the section, run to the door to see how many stars the level still has, then run back to the entrance and redo the process for each of the levels' doors. I'd prefer if you did something similar to Super Mario Star Expedition and just had each of the star indicators a couple units away from each other with a sign letting the player know which level each door is for. Plus, there's the aforementioned error with 2-1's door and the unused stars, which clearly shows you didn't test this episode (or that you didn't test it enough). In fact, it was when I noticed that two of 2-1's stars were unreachable that I stopped trying to get all of the episode's stars; after all, if you didn't care, why should I?

One more thing:
Buried stars don't count toward the door's star total, so in this instance, it would be recommended to add an unused star to the level to balance out the buried star.
Moving on: the houses in "Village Toad" aren't Yoshi-friendly; if the player accidentally ends up at the bottom of a ladder with Yoshi, the Yoshi has to be abandoned for the player to progress. This is especially annoying since, in order to get one of the chickens, the player has to enter a door that leads to the bottom of a ladder, and there's no way to get out of the section except to climb said ladder, forcing the player to abandon his/her Yoshi if he/she has one at that point:
Another annoying aspect of "Village Toad" is that you have a wall on the right side of the section, meaning the player can't exit the level that way. Why did you do this? Not only is it inconvenient for the player because the player is forced to run all the way to the left side of the section to exit the level, but it doesn't make sense from a design perspective, either, since Mario is going to the right on the map to progress.

By the way, in English, adjectives are placed to the left of nouns, so saying "Village Toad" would refer to a Toad from a village, not a village of Toads as you intended; it should say "Toad Village" instead.

Speaking of "Village Toad," there seem to be quite a few unused ideas, even in plain sight of the player. For example, there's a Toad that tells Mario that he can take all the coins in his basement, but after doing so, the Toad becomes hopping mad and doesn't say anything, implying you originally intended for him to become angry at Mario, then changed it but left the event in the level for some reason. There are various other oddities like this throughout the episode, like a ladder beside a background image and a few pipes on the world map that don't lead anywhere, but these aren't inherently bad design choices, and they're too numerous for me to list here.

One more positive remark:
The effect you have with the water here is really clever. Good job (unless you stole it like you stole SMB1's 1-2 and other canon Mario levels).
Anyway, back to the levels:

In section 15 of 2-2, it is possible to jump on the Venus Fire Trap's pipe and get the star without a Yoshi, and if the player enters the pipe by the star, this happens:
By the way, some of the stars in this background get cut off due to the parallax (you can easily see it in the top left of the screenshot). You should move the stars up or down to prevent this from happening.
I recommend either adding a ceiling to the star's box or removing the Yoshi blocks.

I have two questions regarding 2-4:
Firstly, why did you have Mario turn into a penguin for his ice power-up? This is weird not only because the penguin isn't as tall as Super Mario, making the hit-box inaccurate, but also because you use normal SMB3 ice flowers at times and because normal Mario is still shown on the map. Also, did you intend for the Bullet Bill Cannons to be frozen? It's possible to freeze them unless you put noiceball=1 in their txt code.
As for the second castle, aside from the aforementioned lazy boss fight, the only problem I saw was that the background was odd since the second frame is the same as the fourth (sometimes this works, but it doesn't work for this background). I recommend going back to the original graphics for that background and using every fourth frame for the background (since there are 16 frames total, SMBX can only handle four frames at once, and 16/4=4).

In 3-1, the star in section 2 is attached to the "star" layer, meaning the player won't be able to get it until after hitting the block in section 1 to reveal that layer. This is a mistake since that layer is clearly only meant for the star in section 1. Plus, the star in section 1 is unintuitive to get since there isn't anything to indicate that the block that reveals said layer is any different from the normal bricks around it.

For 3-2, I recommend swapping the location of the checkpoint and the warp pipe since the player will most likely enter the warp pipe before getting the checkpoint as it is. By the way, this level's boss fight is also rather lazily designed, and it reminds me of something I should have brought up when I was talking about your other bosses: if you're going to have a hammer suit in your episode, you have to make sure it won't break the episode. By not building your bosses around the fact that the player can take a hammer suit into their arenas and basically instantly kill said bosses, you made a Classic Mistake. I recommend making better boss fights, but if you're not willing to do that, I'd say at least move the hammer suit levels closer to the end of the episode so they won't break your other levels.

Moving on:
This door is quite cruel before the water is raised. All it does is lead the player above the spike pit, and most players won't be able to react quick enough to get out of the way, especially since the screen's position jumps. You should remove this warp and both doors.
This warp is pointless. It doesn't matter how cool having stuff surrounded by blocks looks, all this does is wastes the player's time by forcing the player to go through another warp to reach the key. I recommend removing the doors and their warp and moving the key to the blocks on the upper right of the screenshot.
Speaking of pointless, there are quite a few instances like this where you have a locked door, but the key is right there next to it. If you're going to do that, why even bother making it a locked door in the first place? Just remove the key and make it an unlocked door.
On to the next level: in this section, it's clear that the player is supposed to abandon the Podobo's shoe in order to progress, but the lava lowers slowly enough that the player can easily progress without abandoning the Podobo's shoe:
On top of that, the final section in that level has "Offscreen Exit" set to "Yes," meaning the player doesn't even need to enter the locked door to beat the level and can therefore beat the level and keep the Podobo's shoe without cheating.
This oversight allowed me to skip the majority of the SMB3 1-4 clone since I was simply able to go left at the beginning.
I should also mention this: not only is the final level in this episode an exact replica of the final level in SMB3 (you didn't even try to shoehorn the locked door gimmick that the rest of the episode has into it), but you also didn't even bother to have the level trigger SMBX's in-game credits; the player just enters a door and ends up back on the world map; there aren't even extra levels that get accessed nor is there any incentive to collect all of the episode's stars. It actually fits the episode quite nicely: a disappointing ending for a disappointing episode.

In conclusion:
Many of this episodes flaws can be forgiven (and there are even a few clever puzzles in the episode), but padding out the episode by stealing level designs that aren't your own is the laziest and worst design choice you could have made, especially stealing levels as famous as the ones you did. Honestly, this episode should not have been featured for that reason alone, but even aside from that, the episode has its fair share of problems.

By the way, what did you mean by "RPG elements"? This episode doesn't do anything different from other star-collecting episodes like SMB: A New Beginning or Super Mario Star Expedition (aside from having many more bad design choices). In fact, if any newcomer who hasn't yet played this episode is reading this, I recommend giving this episode a pass and playing those two episodes instead.
Phil wrote:now i am done with SMBX! :P
You should at least be willing to go back and fix your episode's numerous problems (including removing all stolen content).
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Mario Legacy
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Mario Legacy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:11 pm

What's the music for ? - 1? I really want to know.

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:32 pm

Mario Legacy wrote:What's the music for ? - 1? I really want to know.
Lost Painting from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Freude
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Freude » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:06 pm

This episode was really cool !
And I've seen some French... :)

electricpretzel0
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby electricpretzel0 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:50 pm

Very nice, Thanks for uploading the images from a different website. Mediafire is K9 protected for me.
I want a brand new python-support SMBpy one day.

Blex1997
Goomba
Goomba
Chat Username: Pichu

Postby Blex1997 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:07 pm

This episode is creative and fun, sounds as a RPG for me...
Very good!

Phil
Bob-omb
Bob-omb

Postby Phil » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:26 pm

Thank you!! One day i will update this project! If i can find the time to work on it! I have done few new levels for this Episode! :P One day... i will be back!

Kingbowser112
Lakitu
Lakitu
Current Project: TOP SECRET u.u (TGBR)

Postby Kingbowser112 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:33 pm

It's a really well-done job... but I can't download it ... :(
My signature: Kingbowser112

My Steam Account: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198119152147

My current project: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=16313&p=235206#p235206

Jagermeister addicted :idea:

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.

I support: Image

Sniperninja564
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Current Project: "A World On Fire" Episode

Postby Sniperninja564 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:17 am

Do you know who made the city on fire graphics? I'd like to know.

SHAZAMITYLAM!!

loop13
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: I mainly play Celeste nowadays
Current Project: failing English IV
Chat Username: loop13uh

Postby loop13 » Sun May 29, 2016 11:27 pm

Great episode, but parts of it were broken, so I edited it.
When Mario finds Luigi dead, Bowser was a nuisance. He randomly kills Mario. Did you check if "friendly" was on?
Hello, I make a lot of typos
specific people know my whereabouts though

my wifi is as useful as a brick

im more active on discord

:idea: I'm not (completely) dead; I rarely talk because I usually have nothin to say; I'll talk when I actually have a comment I want to make, or if someone asks me somethin...

nostalgia is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

anything before 2020 is most likely me being a weirdo or an idiot.

Maxer203
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Maxer203 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:51 pm

How do i Install?

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:56 pm

Maxer203 wrote:How do i Install?
Download it, extract the compressed file into a folder, copy the folder into your SMBX "Worlds" folder

KooperKoopa
Spiny
Spiny
Current Project: Paper Mario Adventure
Chat Username: Blue Shelled Koopa

Postby KooperKoopa » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:13 pm

Cool

HackPlayer7
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Mega Man Recrudesce

Postby HackPlayer7 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:28 pm

KooperKoopa wrote:Cool
10/10 constructivness

Well, what exactly did you find cool? Was it the entire episode or certain parts?
Some project I'm working onto.

FieryTechno
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Current Project: Mario Legends...

Postby FieryTechno » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:47 pm

Very good episode! I'm currently in the process of playing through it, and it is amazing so far! :)
Please don't die. Somebody really cares about you. It could be me, but probably not. I'm sure you'll find a caring person. One day, one day. :D

arcade999
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: I was working on something and AAAARRRGGGHHH, FUCK, MY LAPTOP BROKE!!!
Chat Username: arcade999

Postby arcade999 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:31 pm

The first level can be a bit hard to pass for beginners, so its hard for them to reach the game itself, so you should put put it a bit easier.
Last edited by arcade999 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
check out my (shitpost) youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-fkps ... oRYc6XtNxQ
check out my discord server: https://discord.gg/nAjhRGb
check out my forum: http://arcade999forum.freeforums.net/
StickGuyGamez wrote:BRING ME BACK TO PENIS
Super Nick Bros X wrote:bruh
RTisBack wrote:Jesus christ isn't a lord/god you piece of human with no brain, and i mean that allah is the only one god.
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
arcade999 wrote:do using ms paint make me a bad human being?
No. It makes you a great veteran and someone who deserves respect...

unless you use Windows 7 paint
Noodle wrote:Danny is a crapposter. (I was in school when I typed this)
Snessy the duck wrote:
Electriking wrote:What the fuck is going on with this topic?
I have no idea. This guy honestly seems like a bot.

Return to “Episodes”