A graphic design contest idea

For topics related to SuperMarioBrosX.org. Suggest anything that you would like to see on the site here.
StrikeForcer
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

A graphic design contest idea

Postby StrikeForcer » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:36 pm

After seeing how two topics in the SMBX forum section were panned because of those guys lacking the necessary organizational skills, I found it to be disheartening that such an idea was being ruined by incompetence. So with Joey's permission to make a topic here... here is what I thought how a proper SMBX Graphics Design Contest would work:

- Four categories: World Map (level, path, tile, scene), Tileset (background, block), Background (background 2), and NPC (effect, npc). Each of them judged as separate contests, let alone bound by a common theme set by the host.
- Should last for 45-60 days.

How to submit
- Either by PMing the host or having a separate topic for submissions.
- You must explicitly and publically state in your message on which categories your submission will like to be judged on. Your entry will not be judged if you didn't follow this rule otherwise.

Judges and Judging
- Each submission will be judged on how good it looks (the techniques used and if it falls into commonly-accepted traps of pixel art), practicality (if its easy to use and can be used in more than one thematic situations in practice), and originality (If this graphic does what others haven't with its stock and if said theme was never done before, which is rare. Frame of reference will be using to determine originality is what already exists on the Internet but feel free to disagree on here), on a scale of 1-10. Decimal values up to the hundredth digit is permitted. Debating on whether or not the arrangement counts as a valid criteria of judging.
- A penalty of one point will be issued if the submission violates any of the non-disqualifying rules stated below.
- I think that having 5 judges with the necessary qualifications (who have designed graphics before and knows about the common rules and traps of of pixel art) to be appropriate for judging. They must send the host with a portfolio of their publically-released works and convince the host why they should judge the contest. Done on both a first-come basis and persuasion.
- The host and judges cannot be a entrant to the contest.
- Timeframe for judging: 30-45 days.

Submission Rules (Global):
- You may work with a team.
- All judged graphics must be made by you, this does not include you modifying existing graphics to be a part of your submission. Instant disqualification if this rule is violated. (Ex: A recolored SMB3 Pipe as part as your submission) If you know what I mean, look at this: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=80240
- Each graphic must relate to the theme of the contest. Instant disqualification if this rule is violated.
- All graphics must be compatible for SMBX use. PGE compatibility is optional. A single graphics file that shows them arranged in a tileset is also optional. (non-disqualifying, a penalty of 1 point will be issued if it fails to meet this rule.)
- You must also provide a level file (Tileset, Background, NPC) or world file (World Map) to show how they are to be used by others who wish to make use of em for their own purposes. (non-disqualifying, a penalty of 1 point will be issued if it fails to meet this rule.)
- Masks must be properly affixed to your graphic if the graphic has as mask corresponding to what you are replacing. (non-disqualifying)
- You cannot release your graphics until the judging is done. You may however, tease a preview. (the amount of what was shown (ex: Part of whole of your entry) and the sample quality of the image or video (as in, if it has a loss of color, has a watermark, pixelated, or if its JPEGed is what I mean (and is preferred to do when teasing)) determines the penalty here being a loss of one point or disqualification.)
- You cannot submit an existing or previously unreleased graphic to the contest. Every graphic to be submitted to the contest must have its date creation at its earliest at the start of the announcement date of the contest.

Specific (Levels Only)
- (Tileset) Any graphic you made that replaces something of the block folder must not deviate from the source behavior (what the original graphics file being replaced is meant to be used by virtue of what it was coded in by Redigit to be used for) from the original SMBX graphics folder. (exs: A graphic replacing lava to be for decoration, a graphic that looks like something safe to stand replaces a graphic that hurts the player, a graphic that is ambiguous towards the inituitiveness of what is expected for it to act like). A penalty of 1 point will be issued if it fails to meet this rule.
- (Tileset) Corner tiles, fill tiles, "topsoil", ceiling tiles, and wall tiles is the basic minimum that is required to be shown in your entry. Instant disqualification if its not shown in your submission.
- (Background) Any graphic you made must conform to the source behavior. And you only have one background per submission but certain backgrounds have exceptions. Check your folder to see which background graphic applies. Instant disqualification if this rule is violated.
- (Background/Tileset) LUA codes are forbidden.
- (NPCs) Must not deviate from the source behavior of which the original graphic was programmed by Redigit. That includes having a text file or LUA code that modifies its behavior. (ex: Applying nohurt to a Goomba or using LUA codes to make a Missile Bill) Only modifications will be allowed is this: Repositioning a graphic in the text file, adding more frames to the NPC graphic file, changing frame speed, and resizing the graphic file because they do not deviate from the source behavior of the original graphic. Instant disqualification if this rule is violated.

Specific (World Map)
- Path and level folder graphics are not to be scored unless if it cannot be divorced from the context and theme of what the tiles and scene graphics are made for. (Ex: A bloody castle graphic for a chasm of blood overworld)
- Also must not deviate from source behavior. (that includes the banning of LUA codes)

Prizes
- Dependent on the contribution in question.

Feel free to suggest anything to be refined or your own ideas on how it should be done.

Revision #1: Made minor modifications to the rules. Important part to take away from is that the rules governing NPCs have been made more permissive and that the criteria of judging was elaborated.

Revision #2: Clarity edits. Also added another rule.
Last edited by StrikeForcer on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
Join Insectduel's forum today!: http://insectduel.proboards.com/

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: A graphic design contest idea

Postby Enjl » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:22 pm

Yeah this is more like the contest Squishy had in mind a few months ago :P

I think these rules are well-crafted, and see no problem with them. I just got a minor nitpick about NPC text files, because I tend to make NPCs with a lot of animation frames, but considering I'll probably never be on the contestant-side of such a contest, there really is nothing for me to complain about :P
The ABC of Creation

HenryRichard
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:25 pm

Except for the npc .txt file limitations, this is really good! I'd definitely participate in it if it was hosted.
Jesus is my savior.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:54 am

If you're creating a custom NPC I see no reason why you shouldn't be allowed a .txt file to change size, framespeed, etc. That already puts a lot of limits on what contestants can do. I see why you don't want Lua files but in my opinion .txt files should be allowed.

StrikeForcer
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby StrikeForcer » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:49 am

PixelPest wrote:If you're creating a custom NPC I see no reason why you shouldn't be allowed a .txt file to change size, framespeed, etc. That already puts a lot of limits on what contestants can do. I see why you don't want Lua files but in my opinion .txt files should be allowed.
StrikeForcer wrote:Revision #1: Made minor modifications to the rules. Important part to take away from is that the rules governing NPCs have been made more permissive and that the criteria of judging was elaborated.
To take away from this wrote:- (NPCs) Must not deviate from the source behavior of which the original graphic was programmed by Redigit. That includes having a text file or LUA code that modifies its behavior. (ex: Applying nohurt to a Goomba or using LUA codes to make a Missile Bill) Only modifications will be allowed is this: Repositioning a graphic in the text file, adding more frames to the NPC graphic file, and resizing the graphic file because they do not deviate from the source behavior of the original graphic. Instant disqualification if this rule is violated.
Learn to read.

EDIT: Changing framespeed is not precluded in your NPC graphic if you are going to be adding in new frames. If the contest is run by me personally, I wouldn't be taking any points off.

EDIT 2: Typo correction.

TheKingOfBoos
Grinder
Grinder
Current Project: ROIP

Postby TheKingOfBoos » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:59 am

Let's do this thing! If this ever happens, let's have PROX and Enjl be the judges. Maybe h2463 as well.
<TheKingOfBoos> I don't speak non-american, shadowstar, I have no idea how hot that is
<Kogasa> it's like 92-93 in patriot units
<Merve> TKOB for next mod
Support the GGP! Put this in your signature!
I support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage

h2643
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: Украинец
Current Project: RL
Chat Username: h/hnumbers

Postby h2643 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:32 pm

I'd gladly participate as a contestant, sounds like a good enough contest for me. At least better than the other contests that were either badly written or eventually cancelled.
TheKingOfBoos wrote:h2463
pls

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps
Current Project: A quirky lil episode
Chat Username: Augustus

Postby TLtimelord » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:31 pm

TheKingOfBoos wrote:Let's do this thing! If this ever happens, let's have PROX and Enjl be the judges. Maybe h2463 as well.
Best choices for judges would be Enjl, Squishy Rex, and Valtteri. They're likely the three users in this community with the most experience with what's acceptable in graphics.
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Current Project: The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle
Chat Username: ShadowStarX

Postby ShadowStarX » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:49 am

TNTtimelord wrote:
TheKingOfBoos wrote:Let's do this thing! If this ever happens, let's have PROX and Enjl be the judges. Maybe h2463 as well.
Best choices for judges would be Enjl, Squishy Rex, and Valtteri. They're likely the three users in this community with the most experience with what's acceptable in graphics.
Mine would be:
Enjl
Squishy Rex
Valtteri
h2643
Sednaiur
PROX
So basically your ideas but with Sednaiur added to the list as well.
"Look me in the eyes and tell me that ad isn't funny." - Shadow Yoshi, 2015
"hitaswitchtohitanotherswitchandseewhathappens" syndrome - Waddle, 2016
"I am in a call with a Natsu" - MECHDRAGON777, 2016
"A serious joke question" - MECHDRAGON777, 2020

My Project - The Mysteries of Bowser's Castle

glitch4
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby glitch4 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:25 pm

Mine would be Enjl and h2643. I'm not sure about Squishy Rex, because of his busy life, but I guess he can be contest judge in this as well.

StrikeForcer
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby StrikeForcer » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:04 pm

Seeing that suggestions are made on who should be judges, while I get that they may be popular figures within the community, I would rather have two things: 1. That you explain why they should be judges other than their popularity but rather the merits of their abilities not only as artists but how they can offer critique and criticism, as it is not a popularity contest. 2. To quote Fallingsnow for this situation because it strangely does remind me of an earlier topic that was made to end the last debate on Staff elections, correct me if im wrong:
Fallingsnow wrote:I want those people to take it upon themselves to informally apply.
The people you just named, you may be disappointed if they decide not to judge. There also has to be an active commitment of them to take up the position of judge.

Return to “SuperMarioBrosX.org”