A legitimate request towards the staff

For topics related to SuperMarioBrosX.org. Suggest anything that you would like to see on the site here.
glitch4
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Re: A legitimate request towards the staff

Postby glitch4 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:57 am

yeah, definitely accepting these ideas.

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Postby Aero » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:36 pm

Joey wrote:I was thinking that the Level Judges could pick featured level designers and then I also remembered that we still have to worry about the Projects forum (and the Episodes forum, albeit much less) which will still follow the current system. I want to rewrite the Levels forum rules as well as roll out new Projects forum rules (to curb unfinished projects).
Kind of reminds me of how we had Featured Episodes once a month and we fell behind with that loose of a schedule. If it's at all possible I think it would be best if the general community could decide what level designers get featured by having a button on posts kind of like the report button to just click and leave a reason why you're supporting that designer and after a designer gets this attention then they can be featured. Either that, a functional like button for these forums, or something along those lines would work. Also IIRC the ACP should let you enable auto-locking of dead threads, so that could take care of the Projects forum's unfinished projects that fall behind the active topics that have progress being made.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:15 pm

AeroMatter wrote:
Joey wrote:If it's at all possible I think it would be best if the general community could decide what level designers get featured by having a button on posts kind of like the report button to just click and leave a reason why you're supporting that designer and after a designer gets this attention then they can be featured.
I think that there should besome kind of "Up-rep This User's Levels Topic" button, but I think the Level Judges should still decide on their own who the featured designer(s) should be to reduce bias and actually give users who are newer or not as popular a chance if their levels are good

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:14 pm

It could also work on a nomination basis.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:01 pm

Enjl wrote:It could also work on a nomination basis.
Like have normal users nominate people who they think deserve it and then the Level Judges choose from those? I think if that's the case, there would have to be rules for nominations, such as:
  • People nominated have to have posted a level since the last "election" (or whatever it'll be called).
  • Each person can nominate max. 2 other users (not themselves).
  • No nominating a user that has already been nominated.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:03 pm

Third one seems kinda redundant either way, I don't believe there'd have to be a rule for that specifically. But yeah that's what I was thinking pretty much.
ImageImageImageImage

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:15 pm

Enjl wrote:Third one seems kinda redundant either way, I don't believe there'd have to be a rule for that specifically. But yeah that's what I was thinking pretty much.
Third rule wouldn't really be needed, yeah

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:26 pm

PixelPest wrote:
Enjl wrote:Third one seems kinda redundant either way, I don't believe there'd have to be a rule for that specifically. But yeah that's what I was thinking pretty much.
Third rule wouldn't really be needed, yeah
I like this entire system.
@Joey: The only concern I have with removing all of the subforums of the level's section would be for reviews. I mean, casual levels don't get official reviews, so it doesn't necessarily matter, but everything else is kind of judged, and if the subforums were removed, then level judges could potentially just develop a sense of entitlement and superiority just because of the fact that they don't have to do anything more than the regular user except they have a cool color and are part of a small group. I feel like if the level judges group was given the task of choosing and voting on levels that should be featured on a timely basis, then they should stay. If they don't have to do anything specific to the level's forum, though, I feel that the rank should be removed.

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Postby Aero » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:06 pm

Btw, maybe we should avoid timely systems as well now that I think of it. Instead of needing to feature someone every week or month, why not just do it as people do something worth featuring and switch them off at whatever rate that happens? It would avoid the problem of not knowing who to feature and thus delaying things like what happened with featured episodes.

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:10 pm

AeroMatter wrote:Btw, maybe we should avoid timely systems as well now that I think of it. Instead of needing to feature someone every week or month, why not just do it as people do something worth featuring and switch them off at whatever rate that happens? It would avoid the problem of not knowing who to feature and thus delaying things like what happened with featured episodes.
That could be a possibility I guess, but I still think with nominations there'll be something worthwhile to feature every time (I'd say like 3 weeks to a month)

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:03 am

Fair point, Aeromatter. Having a flexible system not bound to a strict timeframe will probably be more useful and less stressful to keep up.
ImageImageImageImage

Ace

Postby Ace » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:11 am

Enjl wrote:Fair point, Aeromatter. Having a flexible system not bound to a strict timeframe will probably be more useful and less stressful to keep up.
Without a timeframe, I feel it would lead to exactly the same problem, with the whole system falling apart after a few months. Deadlines get shit done, for the most part, but I also understand the problems that go with it.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:43 am

It's a matter of "oh hey there's a thing worth featuring right now" versus "oh hey there's a thing right now which we could feature in 3 weeks" imo. When there's a drought of stuff the system is gonna come to a halt either way.
ImageImageImageImage

Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Valtteri » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:02 am

There not being enough good episodes to feature was a legitimate problem, though. We ended up featuring a good bunch of really bad episodes because there was simply nothing better coming out every month.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:50 am

I don't think we should go any smaller of a time interval than monthly for featuring level designers.

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:55 am

Joey wrote:I don't think we should go any smaller of a time interval than monthly for featuring level designers.
That works. Should we feature just one design or up to two if there is good stuff from multiple people that deserve featuring?

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:36 pm

Definitely just one, in my opinion; the second person can just be featured next.

Kyo Saito
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Kyo Saito » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:13 pm

This might be one-off, but what about a system where once a week every month we hold a "contest" of sorts for people to get their levels featured in the following month, instead of taking the highest rated levels? This might help to motivate people into making levels as it gives them a week's deadline, Sunday through to Saturday, to work on a level that will be judged by the Level Judges, which can potentially get featured as the level of the month, and the rest of the levels can be released publicly. This should promote motivation and creativity in budding level designers who want to see their work showcased, but it will also motivate the Level Judges and give them something to manage other than voting random levels. What are peoples' thoughts on this?

Ace

Postby Ace » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:20 pm

Kyo Saito wrote:This might be one-off, but what about a system where once a week every month we hold a "contest" of sorts for people to get their levels featured in the following month, instead of taking the highest rated levels? This might help to motivate people into making levels as it gives them a week's deadline, Sunday through to Saturday, to work on a level that will be judged by the Level Judges, which can potentially get featured as the level of the month, and the rest of the levels can be released publicly. This should promote motivation and creativity in budding level designers who want to see their work showcased, but it will also motivate the Level Judges and give them something to manage other than voting random levels. What are peoples' thoughts on this?
Unfortunately asking a handful of users to produce a level every week might work for a while, but there will be some droughts after a few months, especially starting September. Having anything on a weekly basis in a small-ish community like this probably wouldn't work out. I agree with Joey, any timeframe less than a month is too small.

Kyo Saito
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Kyo Saito » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:37 pm

Ace wrote:
Kyo Saito wrote:This might be one-off, but what about a system where once a week every month we hold a "contest" of sorts for people to get their levels featured in the following month, instead of taking the highest rated levels? This might help to motivate people into making levels as it gives them a week's deadline, Sunday through to Saturday, to work on a level that will be judged by the Level Judges, which can potentially get featured as the level of the month, and the rest of the levels can be released publicly. This should promote motivation and creativity in budding level designers who want to see their work showcased, but it will also motivate the Level Judges and give them something to manage other than voting random levels. What are peoples' thoughts on this?
Unfortunately asking a handful of users to produce a level every week might work for a while, but there will be some droughts after a few months, especially starting September. Having anything on a weekly basis in a small-ish community like this probably wouldn't work out. I agree with Joey, any timeframe less than a month is too small.
Yeah, that is true. Even still, with levels being picked from the level forum to be feature each month, it's eventually going to grind to a halt. I feel we need to bring on some sort of event that will induce motivation and creativity, an event that would happen more often than the Community Contests, like a bi-monthly sort of deal, but I'm not sure how one would go about that.
I hear all this talk about people creating levels, working on projects, having episodes they're creating, but the amount of levels that should be getting released with all the talk that surrounds them is incredibly low, and I feel we need some sort of push to get people to work on levels at the very least.

Return to “SuperMarioBrosX.org”