A legitimate request towards the staff

For topics related to SuperMarioBrosX.org. Suggest anything that you would like to see on the site here.
User avatar
Kyo Saito
Hoopster
Hoopster
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:58 pm

Re: A legitimate request towards the staff

Postby Kyo Saito » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:30 am

PixelPest wrote:It wouldn't be possible to rig the poll, since the way I saw the system would be to have a thread in which people post the name of another designer; there's no voting by the general population.
What?
PixelPest wrote:And as I've mentioned a few times, yes the Level Judges would play through those people's recent levels (from the last month or whatever time period is) and then maybe share their Top 3 with the other Level Judges (the first, second, and third most deserving users of the award).
Isn't that what I've been saying?
PixelPest wrote:Because in my opinion, the levels that get featured don't always have to be the ones that would score the highest; there's other reasons to feature a user too
But I don't think you understand what I've been saying. First off, the Featured Level of the Month is, again, just a level. It's not a way to get a user featured directly, it's a way to get their level designing capabilities featured. The idea is to feature their levels, not focus on the users themselves. If you keep saying it's to feature the users, that makes it a popularity contest. But then again, isn't it kind of like that already?

Second, you completely missed my explanation of how it would work:
Kyo Saito wrote:There is no issue with "the levels that deserve to be featured may not necessarily be the best scoring levels" because it's simple; if the level was really deserving to be featured, the Level Judges would give it a good score.

User avatar
JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2467
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:43 pm
Contact:

Re: A legitimate request towards the staff

Postby JupiHornet » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:28 am

PixelPest wrote:
JupiHornet wrote:Why not feature the levels that win unofficial contests, like the ones The Thwomp King hosts? Then they'll actually have a meaning :P
I'm sorry, but I think that isn't a good idea at all. This means that everything rests on the success of those contests--the judges, the host, and the submissions. Also, not everyone enters them and sometimes the winning entries, which may have only beat 1-3 other entries to win, aren't that great anyway
I don't mean to ONLY feature the unofficial contest winners. Of course other levels would also have a chance :P
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

User avatar
Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 7566
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: A legitimate request towards the staff

Postby Enjl » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:31 am

Kyo Saito wrote:Second, you completely missed my explanation of how it would work:
Kyo Saito wrote:There is no issue with "the levels that deserve to be featured may not necessarily be the best scoring levels" because it's simple; if the level was really deserving to be featured, the Level Judges would give it a good score.
CC12. Rinkas;Tale. Technically impressive, frequently used to feature lua technology. 44th place.
Levels which "play it safe" tend to get the high scores. However I feel like featuring clever or technically impressive levels way more interesting. In that sense, the levels that deserve to be featured may not necessarily be the best scoring levels.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Posts: 4830
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Re: A legitimate request towards the staff

Postby Cedur » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:37 am

JupiHornet wrote:
PixelPest wrote:
JupiHornet wrote:Why not feature the levels that win unofficial contests, like the ones The Thwomp King hosts? Then they'll actually have a meaning :P
I'm sorry, but I think that isn't a good idea at all. This means that everything rests on the success of those contests--the judges, the host, and the submissions. Also, not everyone enters them and sometimes the winning entries, which may have only beat 1-3 other entries to win, aren't that great anyway
I don't mean to ONLY feature the unofficial contest winners. Of course other levels would also have a chance :P
In other words that just means that you all levels in existence would be candidates, not only stray portal levels.

Glad to see changes being discussed.
Image

Supports: show
Image
Image
Image
Image

Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

User avatar
JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2467
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:43 pm
Contact:

Re: A legitimate request towards the staff

Postby JupiHornet » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:46 am

Supershroom wrote:
JupiHornet wrote:
PixelPest wrote: I'm sorry, but I think that isn't a good idea at all. This means that everything rests on the success of those contests--the judges, the host, and the submissions. Also, not everyone enters them and sometimes the winning entries, which may have only beat 1-3 other entries to win, aren't that great anyway
I don't mean to ONLY feature the unofficial contest winners. Of course other levels would also have a chance :P
In other words that just means that you all levels in existence would be candidates, not only stray portal levels.

Glad to see changes being discussed.
What do you mean?
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

User avatar
PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7118
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest
Contact:

Re: A legitimate request towards the staff

Postby PixelPest » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:48 am

I think if we're doing featured levels it should be required that they be posted in the Levels forum, not just scattered around everywhere

User avatar
JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2467
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:43 pm
Contact:

Re: A legitimate request towards the staff

Postby JupiHornet » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:09 pm

PixelPest wrote:I think if we're doing featured levels it should be required that they be posted in the Levels forum, not just scattered around everywhere
Well yeah, obviously. I was just also suggesting that we feature unofficial contest levels, but I see why that's a bad idea.
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

User avatar
Kyo Saito
Hoopster
Hoopster
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:58 pm

Re: A legitimate request towards the staff

Postby Kyo Saito » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:58 pm

Enjl wrote:
Kyo Saito wrote:Second, you completely missed my explanation of how it would work:
Kyo Saito wrote:There is no issue with "the levels that deserve to be featured may not necessarily be the best scoring levels" because it's simple; if the level was really deserving to be featured, the Level Judges would give it a good score.
CC12. Rinkas;Tale. Technically impressive, frequently used to feature lua technology. 44th place.
Levels which "play it safe" tend to get the high scores. However I feel like featuring clever or technically impressive levels way more interesting. In that sense, the levels that deserve to be featured may not necessarily be the best scoring levels.
But in retrospect, that's the problem with the judges voting in a "play it safe" level. Another issue with Rinkas;Tale is that it's directly related to Undertale, and that can pose a problem to some. I will agree that impressive levels such as that should be featured, but they more or less gain their own cult following by themselves without getting featured. I still say it would be up to the judges on what levels get featured, because if they feel a level really deserves to be featured, then they would feature it.

User avatar
Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 7566
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: A legitimate request towards the staff

Postby Enjl » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:23 pm

The point that not always the highest scoring level will be featured stays.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Kyo Saito
Hoopster
Hoopster
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:58 pm

Re: A legitimate request towards the staff

Postby Kyo Saito » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:49 am

Enjl wrote:The point that not always the highest scoring level will be featured stays.
When was that point even made in the first place, though? As I have said countless times before, if a level truly was deserving of being featured, it would garner a higher score from the judges. Is this not true?

User avatar
Aero
Palom
Palom
Posts: 4478
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:51 pm
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Re: A legitimate request towards the staff

Postby Aero » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:30 am

What if we just featured good levels after they get positive feedback from the community?
As long as one man goes hungry nobody should eat until everyone is full.

User avatar
PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7118
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest
Contact:

Re: A legitimate request towards the staff

Postby PixelPest » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:13 am

AeroMatter wrote:What if we just featured good levels after they get positive feedback from the community?
Because not all levels will get a lot of feedback and it would be better to help give users a chance who aren't so popular

User avatar
SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1469
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: A legitimate request towards the staff

Postby SnifitGuy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:34 am

PixelPest wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:What if we just featured good levels after they get positive feedback from the community?
Because not all levels will get a lot of feedback and it would be better to help give users a chance who aren't so popular
Agreed. An amazing level designer could come onto the forum just to post a level, but because they would be new, nobody would really notice their level enough to judge it properly, and thus, they might be discouraged after looking at the thoughtful reviews given to levels of equal quality.

User avatar
PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7118
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest
Contact:

Re: A legitimate request towards the staff

Postby PixelPest » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:20 am

Should there be some way for users to still be able to get reviews? Like could there be a Feedback Request thread or something of that sort where users can post asking for a review of one of their levels max. at a time, and then someone will give them some pointers (without the ten-score review format)? Maybe we could bring back the idea (I think it was Marina that had it a while back) of a seal of approval in terms of reviewing skills and then one of those people could fulfil a request? If that would occur, I think there should still be the core Level Judges group who moderate Levels, Episodes, and Projects (who can also fulfil feedback requests) and who decides on Featured Levels, while the other thing can just maybe be a seal (maybe like the medals) underneath their username

User avatar
Aero
Palom
Palom
Posts: 4478
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:51 pm
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Re: A legitimate request towards the staff

Postby Aero » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:14 pm

Whatever then they won't be featured if they don't even get attention.
As long as one man goes hungry nobody should eat until everyone is full.

User avatar
PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7118
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest
Contact:

Re: A legitimate request towards the staff

Postby PixelPest » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:20 pm

AeroMatter wrote:Whatever then they won't be featured if they don't even get attention.
I have no idea what you're referring to saying this

User avatar
Aero
Palom
Palom
Posts: 4478
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:51 pm
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Re: A legitimate request towards the staff

Postby Aero » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:28 pm

PixelPest wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:Whatever then they won't be featured if they don't even get attention.
I have no idea what you're referring to saying this
PixelPest wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:What if we just featured good levels after they get positive feedback from the community?
Because not all levels will get a lot of feedback and it would be better to help give users a chance who aren't so popular
As long as one man goes hungry nobody should eat until everyone is full.

User avatar
JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2467
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:43 pm
Contact:

Re: A legitimate request towards the staff

Postby JupiHornet » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:07 pm

PixelPest wrote:Should there be some way for users to still be able to get reviews? Like could there be a Feedback Request thread or something of that sort where users can post asking for a review of one of their levels max. at a time, and then someone will give them some pointers (without the ten-score review format)? Maybe we could bring back the idea (I think it was Marina that had it a while back) of a seal of approval in terms of reviewing skills and then one of those people could fulfil a request? If that would occur, I think there should still be the core Level Judges group who moderate Levels, Episodes, and Projects (who can also fulfil feedback requests) and who decides on Featured Levels, while the other thing can just maybe be a seal (maybe like the medals) underneath their username
I like this idea. Reviews are still important for people to improve.
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -


Return to “SuperMarioBrosX.org”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest