Site Discussion Thread

For topics related to SuperMarioBrosX.org. Suggest anything that you would like to see on the site here.
Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:39 am

That's actually a good idea.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:27 pm

Tinkerbell wrote:http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 79&t=11001

This should be a sticky in the Graphics subforum. People still post requests bc no one is going into the archives to see that. Why is it even there? It should just be in there so people see it. INB i get a no lmao.
So what now? It has been a week and only zm12 responded so is it now a good suggestion or not?
Last edited by Mable on Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aero
Palom
Palom
Pronouns: she/her they/them

Postby Aero » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:32 pm

^

Also what about html5 youtube embedding?

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:16 pm

I changed the current YouTube tag so it now supports HTML5. I doubt it works with Flash so anybody using an older browser will have to upgrade.

I once had a Graphics Forum Rules thread and somewhere along the line it was deleted. We'll have to write up a rules thread for that forum and it'll specify that requests aren't allowed.

LordKofu
Flurry
Flurry

Postby LordKofu » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:06 am

I know it seems like an unpopular opinion, but the only reasons given for the removal of the Requests subforum were:

- there have been too many requests which did not follow the rules (easy to avoid by harsher moderation)
- there have been too many requests which simply couldn't be fulfilled due to being too difficult (didn't happen very often)
- there are enough graphics on the forums so we don't need requests anymore. (well, unique graphics for a project don't exist, they are - unique.)

A huge part of the forum consisted of GFX in the past, many users just came here for graphic submissions and requests; with the requests now not being possible anymore, people are only here for sharing what they have done with existing GFX.
The thing is, if the moderators enforced the forum rules a bit harsher in some kind of new requests section, it would produce much more work for the mods to handle for almost no actual benefit.

How about someone makes a thread inside the graphics or general forum for requests?
The question isn't "why" but rather "why not".

If I look for a specific sprite for a project, something unique that doesn't exist yet, there is no chance getting the GFX except doing it myself or PMing someone to do it. That would just outsource the underlying problem.

I'm not trying to undermine your authority or something, Joey, I'm just making a suggestion. I appreciate this forum and the work you have put into this, but this is something that has been grinding my gears for too long.
Thanks for reading, kind regards,

LordKofu
If you notice any grammar errors or other language mistakes, please notify me.

My minisode: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 36&t=13815

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:14 pm

Hey, LordKofu, thanks for posting that. I in no way think you're trying to undermine my authority.

The underlying problem with the graphics request forum is that most of the requests were made by people who didn't have that strong of level design skills. For example, you rarely saw users like Chad, reghrhre, or SuperMario7 requesting graphics, yet they were the ones who were putting out great levels. The problem is that these users who were requesting crazy graphics would rarely make good levels with them, and also that recolors are something that everyone should learn how to do and not request. Removing the requests forum helps further instill the fact that level design is more important than graphics.

Please feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:52 am

Quick thought on this: If someone new requests a graphic, someone is nice enough to make it for them, posts it in the graphics forum, but we never see the guy who requested it do anything (decent) with it, is that bad?

Because the thing is that, if a graphic has been created and posted, it's available for everyone to use. It prevents people who need it in the future from making it again, even though it could have already been done. And even if it wasn't done, if they're good at pixel art they can then fulfill it.

Now, while I am for the return of a section, be it a forum or a topic, for requests, there are a few things wrong with the previous one which need to be gott en rid of first
- many requests were ridiculous. Playable characters, huge requests over 37 different things. The latter can be fixes by enforcing a rule over having one unsolved request at a time. If the theme is coherent (Toad NPCs for a jungle village as opposed to a Kremlin, a volcano tileset and a vending machine in the same post), multiple graphics can be requested. The biggest suggestions in this case would be a small tileset with some NPCs.
- No playable characters. I know from experience that making such a sheet is the worst, and I wouldn't want to torture anyone by doing one for me. And since playables imply the creator wants to make something advanced and new, and playable characters are a biiig want, forcing the creator to make one if they really so need it, to me, seems to be a better way of denying requests (because it's really tedious for the one who ends up doing the request, as opposed to other requests taking up a fraction of that time and being fun in mose cases)
- make sure the rules are being followed. Everyone who browses the forum to fulfill a request should be familiar with them and point out threads which don't follow them to the one who made it. If the rules aren't met, graphic makers are encouraged to ignore the thread. If the main poster doesn't reply in any capacity, or refuses to change the request to fit the rules, they will be prevented from making further requests for a month or so (and get a PM pointing out the reason)
- make sure people want to fulfill requests. The easiest way to do this would be adding a group similar to the level judges, who moderate the requests forum, fulfill them, and handle the PMs mentioned above. Similar to reviews, requests don't have to be done by a moderator. Anyone with free time can pick a request and do it, especially one with spritesheet provided.

Tl;dr I don't think people have to be good designers to request graphics, the forum just wasn't moderated well enough.

That quick thought went on for a while...
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

All my assets from packs and episodes are free to use for non-Novaverse levels and projects, as long as proper credit is given.

Mirror of all my content and collaborations on IPFS: QmZKzVJAsD6dE2tTHEb58XEmsNLzrW2MVsTtW7HWLAAcCC

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:30 am

The problem is that even though there were rules, nobody followed them. The people that use the requests forum are notorious for doing pretty much everything you said people shouldn't do.

Ideally, yes, the requests forum serves a great purpose. However, it rarely was used as such for the duration of its existence here. Requesting graphics that will never be turned into anything useful is a waste of time for the person requesting the graphic and the person making the graphic.

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:34 am

Joey wrote:Requesting graphics that will never be turned into anything useful is a waste of time for the person requesting the graphic and the person making the graphic.
Not necessarily, even if the requester doesn't use it, the graphic can still be used by the creator or anyone else in case he releases it.
im a girl yo

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:39 am

Joey wrote:The problem is that even though there were rules, nobody followed them
Let me ask a honest question. How many times had ur staff tell people to read the rules? Probably over a hundred times. And People will never read them and even if they do... nobody will follow anyway. How many times did u guys had to tell people in the "What pisses you off" thread not to talk about others?

http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 22#p176622

Yet another person did it aka not reading any of the rules. Imo there should be a stricter enforce about that.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:01 pm

Well, Spinda, we had things like Snessy the duck as a sprite.

My point is that requests are either too crazy to be useful (since these people rarely, if ever, finish what they're working on) or too easy to be requested. If you'd like to look through the Requests archive to find an actual, useful request that reached completion, please do.

Tinkerbell: We can be stricter with rule enforcement, sure.

Bryan
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Bryan » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:11 pm

There's always people who refuse to abide by the rules. They just don't listen and it's a reoccurring issue. People should know how to behave correctly, regardless of age. If someone just doesn't behave, it's a personal issue that needs to resolved on an individual basis.

I just don't think the entire community should be condemned for it. The current rules are fair. People will always find a reason to complain. You could say stricter rule enforcement might improve things, but the only thing it will do is create ruckus from the same people complaining and not listening.

The user base conducts itself pretty well, we just have to keep the dunces on check.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:17 pm

Bryan, what's your point? We seemed to be done talking about the requests issue over a week ago. The community wasn't being condemned for anything. Also, I don't know why you went directly to this thread after several months of absence.

Bryan
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Bryan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:32 am

Joey wrote:Bryan, what's your point? We seemed to be done talking about the requests issue over a week ago. The community wasn't being condemned for anything. Also, I don't know why you went directly to this thread after several months of absence.
I was trying to point out how stricter rule enforcement really won't benefit anyone, it'll just cause more problems. It's happened before! Some major rule is put in place, people cause ruckus and everyone assumes the entire community is immature and full of little kids. While that isn't true.

Tinkerbell brought up stricter ruler enforcement and I just replied with my position on the issue. While yes, it's kind of awkward and a little late or me to reply, it's reoccurring issue and I just wanted to give my opinion on a reoccurring issue and besides it's the site discussion thread so this pertains to it.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:09 am

Then say how would you get people, to take the rules more serious and follow them better.

Also the only stricter thing i wanted was bc of how many times the staff had to tell people not to talk about users in the what pisses you off thread. Or do you like constant warning to people to be reminded of that?

Also the only people that get mad over the major rule are those who think they can do what they want.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:58 am

QUILL IS ADMIN AGAIN OH MAN WHAT

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:09 am

Zeldamaster12 wrote:QUILL IS ADMIN AGAIN OH MAN WHAT
Plottwist Quill was always asmin but he was hidden in the group.

Also masterbros is in the mod group?

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:14 am

#StopQuill2015

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:15 am

m4sterbr0s has been in the mod group ever since he resigned from admin.

Aero
Palom
Palom
Pronouns: she/her they/them

Postby Aero » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:50 pm

Joey wrote:#StopQuill2015
#Bias
Zeldamaster12 wrote:m4sterbr0s has been in the mod group ever since he resigned from admin.
I still find it kind of silly for this to be a thing when his last action as staff was a million years ago. m4sterbr0s the dormant mod

Return to “SuperMarioBrosX.org”