Site Discussion Thread

For topics related to SuperMarioBrosX.org. Suggest anything that you would like to see on the site here.
Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:41 pm

I don't think that's possible, but I wouldn't want to do it anyway. What's the issue with those users showing up in the memberlist?

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:12 am

This has been mentioned a lot of times in the past, but for some reason, nobody really seemed to care about fixing it.

The episodes description still states that featured episodes exist and that you can get your episode featured on the mainsite. I belive this should be removed as it can cause a lot of confusion for newcomers.

Also, the SMBX.org logo looks kinda weird:

Noitche how the SUPER letters are small, which looks fine when on top of Mario Bros. but looks kinda weird when beside it. It's kinda a minor nitpick, but I still think it should be changed.

Also, I still belive a lot of the icons on the forum should be changed to be more descriptive, and there should also be a direct link to the Discord chat somewhere (Like beside the Chat icon, or we could just replace that entirely.)

Edit: Also, the subforum bob-omb is cut off.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:26 am

The Discord server is the chat, and the chat button links to it.

The "super" letters look fine in my opinion, but even if they didn't there are no large "super" graphics from SMB3.

I still don't see the issue with any of the icons, save for maybe a little inaccuracy with the edit icon.

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Snessy the duck » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:17 pm

Joey wrote:The Discord server is the chat, and the chat button links to it.
Technically, the chat button links to a page on the IRC where you can go to the Discord chat, but I honestly think we should remove the IRC entirely and just make the chat icon go straight to the Discord chat, since the IRC is pretty much dead.
Joey wrote:The "super" letters look fine in my opinion, but even if they didn't there are no large "super" graphics from SMB3.
BMSaints made an edited SMAS SMB3 font which you can use for that:

Joey wrote:I still don't see the issue with any of the icons, save for maybe a little inaccuracy with the edit icon.
Some of the icons are pretty nondescriptive (Like the edit button), and there's a lot of clash, so I belive some of them should be changed to more "Custom" icons that fit the thing they link to better. Also, almost all the icons in the Quick Links submenu are the same, which I belive should be changed.

Edit: Also, the episodes forum description should still be changed.

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:
Joey wrote:I still don't see the issue with any of the icons, save for maybe a little inaccuracy with the edit icon.
Some of the icons are pretty nondescriptive (Like the edit button), and there's a lot of clash, so I belive some of them should be changed to more "Custom" icons that fit the thing they link to better. Also, almost all the icons in the Quick Links submenu are the same, which I belive should be changed.
The only thing I can really think of that should be changed is the Edit button to maybe the Hammer Suit or a Hammer Bros. Hammer, keeping to the SMB3 theme. Also the Quick Links thing isn't that big of a deal, they could have no icons and be completely fine as well.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:45 am

In each contest thread, be it official or unofficial contests, the contest's host states the rules he wants to use for his contest and there's many intersections / universal rules (obviously). It's repetitive to find them in every thread OP, and I'd say it's a lot more convenient if we have an announcement thread for universal contest rules that apply always or almost always (e.g. submit through PM), and whenever someone makes a contest, they can refer to it and only need to explicitly state what they would want to do differently / what needs to be specified (how many levels, what platforms are allowed etc).
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:28 am

Counter-suggestion: Get people to come up with interesting and original guidelines. Levels with 6/10 average winning these contests is pretty embarassing and I'm puzzled why no contest host tried adjusting their guidelines to encourage more creativity. By streamlining the contest creation process we're undermining this creativity even more and forcing people who don't want to use the reference topic to put a big bold notice into the thread saying that this arbitrary ruleset doesn't apply. And then there'll be the one person who still gets it wrong.
The ABC of Creation

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

We hit 5000 Users!

Postby Electriking » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:54 pm

So today (January 24th) We hit 5000 users. So I decided to create a thread to celebrate this achievement. What else is there to say really?
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit
Chat Username: Zeldamaster12

Re: We hit 5000 Users!

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:59 pm

It's cool, but it doesn't need its own thread

Sancles-Chan
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: I've defeated humor

Postby Sancles-Chan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:13 pm

at least 70% of those are either spambots or inactive users, or bananed users
I go by She/Her for those who aren't aware yet.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:22 pm

Besides, the member count may eventually not stay over 5,000 forever. From time to time there's still pruning of bot accounts / inactive accounts done by the admins. We have about 2,500 people with at least one post, that's more informative.

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: All toasters toast toast
Current Project: Nothing
Chat Username: practical

Postby Rhosty » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:26 pm

Sanct wrote:at least 70% of those are either spambots or inactive users, or bananed users
And you'd think spambots and banned user accounts would be removed from that total. I used to use my adblocker, but I don't use it here anymore because it doesn't just remove ads, it removes anything with ads on it. The orange block, which shows an ad by Project Wonderful, a search bar, and an advanced search option is visible by default. But as soon as I turn my adblocker on, that box is gone, and I can't search anything without ending up using a topic's search bar, which would take too long to find something.

perhaps
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: im very cool
Current Project: oh, the usual
Chat Username: copyleft

Postby perhaps » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:44 pm

practicalshorty014 wrote:And you'd think spambots and banned user accounts would be removed from that total. I used to use my adblocker, but I don't use it here anymore because it doesn't just remove ads, it removes anything with ads on it. The orange block, which shows an ad by Project Wonderful, a search bar, and an advanced search option is visible by default. But as soon as I turn my adblocker on, that box is gone, and I can't search anything without ending up using a topic's search bar, which would take too long to find something.
in google type site:supermariobrox.org [whatever you are searching for]
its way more accurate
been thingken about makin a few levels again

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Rhosty » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:40 pm

in google type site:supermariobrox.org [whatever you are searching for]
its way more accurate
I'd rather just disable my adblocker on this site, and actually have a search box, than take the time to go on google and search for it

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Snessy the duck » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:38 am

You can click the Quick Links bar (The SMW flip blocks in the top left corner) and there's a seach button, but yeah, I belive the seach bar shouldn't be on the orange block.

RSupertheGreat
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: I'm the Unfounded Artist.
Current Project: TMC, M&L Dimensional Shift
Chat Username: RSuperPKEsper

Postby RSupertheGreat » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:53 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:You can click the Quick Links bar (The SMW flip blocks in the top left corner) and there's a seach button, but yeah, I belive the seach bar shouldn't be on the orange block.
And it also make a cutoff/shredded when I zoom in(the search bar).

I rarely come here cus I preferred to be in Discord and anything outside of being in the forums.

The Untold Truth: show
Most people here don't assume my gender, feel free to use "they" and "them" as long as it doesn't refer to many people or something. But I'm of course a girl.
Imageyes i have g+ except its gonna get shut down soon rip
Best moments on Discord: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Linkopolis: show
ImageImageImageImage
hi there signature reader

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Rhosty » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:18 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:You can click the Quick Links bar (The SMW flip blocks in the top left corner) and there's a seach button, but yeah, I belive the seach bar shouldn't be on the orange block.
I was on my Wii's browser for most of the time that I was on here, and the browser is pretty old, so some images on here wouldn't show there. But now that I'm on a computer, that's not much of an excuse anymore.
Proof: show

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Please, do something about the no requests rule...

Postby HeroLinik » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:39 am

Right, I'm going to bring this issue up again despite the fact that I asked it quite a long time back, and still, nothing has been done about it yet. It's about the no requests rule.

One and a half years ago, the Requests subforum was archived, and graphic requests were no longer allowed. Various reasons were given, such as crazy graphics being requested and the fact that if you can't make a level with the graphics that exist, then it's a problem with your level design skills. Unfortunately, this hasn't stopped people from making requests, and the announcement was archived for some reason, and the fact that it was archived means that any new user won't even be aware that graphic requests aren't allowed, and they'll feel really silly just because they didn't even know to look in the archives for the rule, especially when there's been a lot of people joining after the announcement got archived, even more apparent if it's a veteran joining after a long hiatus. Just because the requests forum is gone it doesn't mean that there'll be less requests, and usually announcements get archived if they're not relevant anymore, and the no graphics rule is still relevant, so why was the announcement even archived?

Can something be done about this, like making a sticky outlining graphic submission regulations, one of them including no requests? One and a half years still going and we're still getting graphic requests, just because the rule isn't even apparent.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:06 am

Forum Rules bars are an easy solution to make people attentive to this kind of rules. Because other than a sticky thread, it appears on top of the page and therefore is the first thing someone will see when posting something. This should help cutting down the amount of incidences.

RSupertheGreat
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: I'm the Unfounded Artist.
Current Project: TMC, M&L Dimensional Shift
Chat Username: RSuperPKEsper

Postby RSupertheGreat » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:08 am

I don't really know what does "no longer relevant" meaning. An opposite to Irrelevant ?
So I know the Request subforum has gotten archieved. Like the last year, I haven't made any request yet.. yeah, I can probably make a new graphics by myself. I only made an introduction of me and post my comments on other threads/topics. I think I shouldn't explain those. :? Eughh.

I rarely come here cus I preferred to be in Discord and anything outside of being in the forums.

The Untold Truth: show
Most people here don't assume my gender, feel free to use "they" and "them" as long as it doesn't refer to many people or something. But I'm of course a girl.
Imageyes i have g+ except its gonna get shut down soon rip
Best moments on Discord: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Linkopolis: show
ImageImageImageImage
hi there signature reader

Return to “SuperMarioBrosX.org”