Site Discussion Thread

For topics related to SuperMarioBrosX.org. Suggest anything that you would like to see on the site here.
zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: resident cat
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby zioy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:37 pm

Valtteri? Were you going to say Quill?

Raster
Banned
Current Project: The Invasion 3

Postby Raster » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:38 pm

Allow me to clear things up here.
Koolkat wrote:DarkMatt - You guys made him a moderator because he's popular and made a topic about it. He also didn't improve his personality at all. He constantly locks threads
He talked abut this with Joey who later advised him to make a topic about it.
Koolkat wrote:I've only ever seen him lock topics and warn users, but I can tell he isn't a good moderator.
He's obviously doing his job and he's a great user to have around.
Koolkat wrote:If I had to point out one flaw, it's that he is a bit too lenient.
Not necessarily a bad thing. He's done a lot to help around the IRC and repelled the spam attacks.
Koolkat wrote:sometimes he's a bit stubborn and refuses to step away from his opinion
The users don't always know what's best and Joey isn't going to implement everything we suggest.

And I don't appreciate how this thread is turning into a Staff Criticism thread.

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: something

Postby silent_ » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:47 pm

KoolKat wrote:Valtteri? Were you going to say Quill?
Yes, I was.
I will admit, though, Quill still is a decent staff member, but I feel his only reason to exist is to put the forum on maintenance mode and clear up spam.
Raster wrote:And I don't appreciate how this thread is turning into a Staff Criticism thread.
Why, exactly, do you not appreciate this? If you're going to discuss the site, you need to discuss the staff also. Alternatively, there could be a thread named "Staff Criticism" made by me since you know me - I can handle drama and cause drama without getting a single board warning or downrep because I have a way of saying everything stupidly professionally and if I say everything stupidly professionally I don't get a consequence for some reason.
previously known as Kep

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zioy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:49 pm

Raster wrote:Allow me to clear things up here.
Koolkat wrote:DarkMatt - You guys made him a moderator because he's popular and made a topic about it. He also didn't improve his personality at all. He constantly locks threads
Koolkat wrote:I've only ever seen him lock topics and warn users, but I can tell he isn't a good moderator.
Koolkat wrote:If I had to point out one flaw, it's that he is a bit too lenient.
Not necessarily a bad thing. He's done a lot to help around the IRC and repelled the spam attacks.
Koolkat wrote:sometimes he's a bit stubborn and refuses to step away from his opinion
The users don't always know what's best and Joey isn't going to implement everything we suggest.

And I don't appreciate how this thread is turning into a Staff Criticism thread.
OK, then, let me rephrase that. DarkMatt is a mod because he's popular.
The job of a moderator, is to moderate things. Moderate the drama, moderate the bullcrap, moderate. All he's doing is locking perfectly civil threads for no good reason, and warning users for doing literally nothing.
That's why I said it was his one flaw. It's not that big, though.
Neither does Joey, though. I know he isn't going to implement every effing thing we ask, but it would be nice to at least
reason with people and come to a compromise about some things. Not necessarily adding new features (which is a pain in the posterior), but stuff like what will cause drama or won't.

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby silent_ » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:52 pm

KoolKat wrote:All he's doing is locking perfectly civil threads for no good reason, and warning users for doing literally nothing.
How do you know who he has warned?
And all of the threads he locked thus far have been for a reason, except aptuttle's project thread, which got locked merely because... because nothing.
previously known as Kep

Raster
Banned
Current Project: The Invasion 3

Postby Raster » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:53 pm

not gonna embed any quotes into my post

1. DarkMatt is a mod because he's competent and has experience as a moderator.
2. I don't think DarkMatt locks threads for no good reason. Even so you can always ask him why he locked a thread if you really want a reason.
3. I dunno, you said Joey was the strictest admin and then criticized GhostHawk for being lenient. Seemed pretty weird to me.
4. You guys need to realize that the staff is a competent team of people who know what they're doing and they don't need the constant guidance of the users to run this forum smoothly.

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zioy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:55 pm

Kep wrote:
KoolKat wrote:All he's doing is locking perfectly civil threads for no good reason, and warning users for doing literally nothing.
How do you know who he has warned?
And all of the threads he locked thus far have been for a reason, except aptuttle's project thread, which got locked merely because... because nothing.
I have my ways of knowing things.....
Also....
Kep wrote:all of the threads he locked thus far have been for a reason
KoolKat wrote:no good reason
Honestly, I haven't agreed with a single "reason"excuse he has locked a thread with.

EDIT:
1. DarkMatt is a mod because he's competent and has experience as a moderator.
2. I don't think DarkMatt locks threads for no good reason. Even so you can always ask him why he locked a thread if you really want a reason.
3. I dunno, you said Joey was the strictest admin and then criticized GhostHawk for being lenient. Seemed pretty weird to me.
4. You guys need to realize that the staff is a competent team of people who know what they're doing and they don't need the constant guidance of the users to run this forum smoothly.
1. That's the polar opposite of what I just said.
Spoiler: show
Basically hat you just said:
Me wrote:I don't think Bob5 is a good moderator, he's not competent and has no experience
You wrote:Bob5 is a good moderator because he's competent and has experience as a mod.
2. I did once, actually. I downrepped him for locking a perfectly civil topic for no half-decent reason. Guess how he
responded?
Spoiler: show
DarkMatt Paraphrase wrote:Hey, gimme my f*cking rep back, I was kind of enjoying having +13!
3. Strictness and leniency are both bad things. It's best to be halfway through. In moderation, so to speak.
4. That's exactly what we were talking about. We all have our opinions, and I honestly think the staff team needs some serious improvement.
Last edited by zioy on Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby silent_ » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:58 pm

KoolKat wrote:I have my ways of knowing things.....
How, exactly?

And besides, you have no access to the moderation control panel, so again, the only way to know if DarkMatt has warned someone is if he told you via PM, and I doubt he would because... well... isn't stuff like that confidential?
previously known as Kep

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zioy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:07 pm

Kep wrote:
KoolKat wrote:I have my ways of knowing things.....
How, exactly?

And besides, you have no access to the moderation control panel, so again, the only way to know if DarkMatt has warned someone is if he told you via PM, and I doubt he would because... well... isn't stuff like that confidential?

I talk to people...

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby silent_ » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:13 pm

KoolKat wrote:I talk to people...
Why would staff give you such information? I don't mean to be rude or anything, but how do you shine among other normal users who staff could talk to also? Or perhaps one of your friends got warned by DarkMatt/someone else and they told you about it?
previously known as Kep

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zioy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:16 pm

Kep wrote:
KoolKat wrote:I talk to people...
Why would staff give you such information? I don't mean to be rude or anything, but how do you shine among other normal users who staff could talk to also? Or perhaps one of your friends got warned by DarkMatt/someone else and they told you about it?
Yeah, I usually talk to people who say they've been warned by x moderator. Most of the people I've talked to have been warned by DarkMatt. because I may or may not be plotting to get him demoted.

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby silent_ » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:20 pm

KoolKat wrote:because I may or may not be plotting to get him demoted.
That's a bad thing to do. Besides, if DarkMatt was that bad of a moderator, I think the administrators would have noticed by now.
previously known as Kep

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zioy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:21 pm

Kep wrote:
KoolKat wrote:because I may or may not be plotting to get him demoted.
That's a bad thing to do. Besides, if DarkMatt was that bad of a moderator, I think the administrators would have noticed by now.
I was joking, hence the tiny size and strikethrough.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:47 pm

This thread isn't for discussion on who you think should/shouldn't be staff. Please refrain from doing that.

In response to "more medals", yeah, we need to get on that.

In response to "online/offline icons", I can check and see if it'd be possible for me to add that given the layout of the theme. This theme is based on prosilver, which (as far as I know) only has an "online" icon.

In response to "wiki group", while I'd rather not make an actual usergroup on the forums yet, I'd be willing to promote some more wiki staff.

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zioy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:48 pm

Joey wrote:This thread isn't for discussion on who you think should/shouldn't be staff. Please refrain from doing that.
Well, it is a discussion thread for the site in general, so staff should be discussed IMO.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:51 pm

It isn't up for debate unless a staff member isn't doing their job right, in which case you should contact an administrator.

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zioy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:52 pm

I was mainly talking about discussing the staff in general, not necessarily making lists on what the staff really should be rather than the state it is in.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:57 pm

The staff is fine. If you have a problem with it, it's best to take it up with an administrator rather than publically.

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zioy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:58 pm

I guess that makes sense. Anyway, the site is great, except that the Level Judges have already lost interest again.

Natsu
Wart
Wart
Current Project: It's a secret to everybody ...
Chat Username: Kuma-san

Postby Natsu » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:12 pm

Something that you guys never seem to realize, not that you implied it KoolKat, is that we are no one to choose for staff members. We can notify the Staff of recent events that they might consider or not as a good reason for demotion. We DON'T have the right to choose Staff members, we have the right to support this forum by informing the Staff so they can fix "real" issues. The Staff shall decide who deserves to conserve their job.

@Joey: Well, more than an online/offline icon, if not possible to implement, just an icon that shows if the user is online. If this forum theme supports this, then I'm satisfied with it.
Discord quotes
Trace: You're a capable boi

Return to “SuperMarioBrosX.org”