Site Discussion Thread

For topics related to SuperMarioBrosX.org. Suggest anything that you would like to see on the site here.
Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Aero » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:16 pm

Natsu wrote:We seriously need a mammoth place, who agrees?

Oh, and I think the there should be a rule that limits the maximum size of images in the signature, or the signature in general. It's rather annoying to search anything on it or just pass through when the user's signature is so damn big.
There's settings that can limit the maximum size of an image so this could be do-able. By default it's unlimited for some reason.
KoolKat wrote:Or you could just disable signatures in UCP...
Good luck with that one.

Magician
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Magician » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:04 am

I just block every large image that I see with a browser plugin. For the record, though, I'd prefer just enforcing the spoiler tag whenever appropriate. If I ever use my signature for project details I'm going to contain it in a spoiler, but I would probably shove a lot of content into that spoiler. I'd dislike to be limited to a tiny image if that were the case.
FanofSMBX wrote:Speaking of the trashcan, I stand by my assertion that that name is plain patronizing.
Actually, strictly speaking, what's more "patronizing" is the notion that people are too sensitive to be told that their bad levels are bad.
FanofSMBX wrote:...and if I were to be honest I would say it sounds sorta hubristic for someone (Joey's the main example, but if Quill called this "SMBX community" on mfgg I would still be bothered) to claim that this is "the" forum. Not as in "the most popular SMBX forum" which would be true, but the idea that that popularity MAKES it "the SMBX forum"
Pretending to be THE SMBX forum works out to the point where it becomes that. It's a "fake it until you make it" sort of thing. I wouldn't call that extreme pride; it just works, and will probably continue to work. People will google "SMBX forums" and they're more likely to get this site, then all of the SMBX fans will continue to congregate here.
Honestly, I would completely agree with you if it wasn't just more beneficial for everyone this way.
Joey wrote:Does anybody have suggestions for stuff to put on the episodes/graphics pages? I'm already going to include links to previously featured content as well as official episodes/CGFX pack, but I'm sure we could find some other things to put there.
Probably a silly question, but how about just a list of direct links to non-featured episode threads below the featured ones? That way people can just go to that page and type ctrl+F.
How about links to LPs of each featured episode where applicable?

As for the graphics, it's easier for some people who use SMBX's editor to look at a reference sheet rather than try to sight-search through the graphics folder to find the number of the NPC/effect/block/background they want to change. This reference sheet could reflect the order in which they appear on the editor so as to make finding them and changing them much easier. Based off of someone else's idea I made one for the NPCs at one point, but perhaps a more professional-looking one could be made for all of the graphics.

Pseudo
Peach
Peach

Postby Pseudo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:05 am

HenryRichard wrote:This may be a really stupid idea, but here goes.

You should have Graphics Judges. They would judge graphics depending on how good they are. If they are broken, messed up, or just downright horrible, they would go in the trashcan. Then you could have different sub-forums for other levels of brilliance, and then a graphics pack subforum.

Again, this might be a stupid idea that shouldn't even exist, but hopefully it's a good one.
This, or at least something similar (Graphics moderators who approved graphics) has actually been implemented on several past SMBX forums (NSMBX for sure and I think Knuxforums at one point), and they never were really effective or meaningful enough to stay around. The graphics forum seems fine to me as it is, personally.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zioy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:27 pm

GhostHawk wrote:Good luck with that one.
It's a default phpBB feature. Check in Board Preferences under Display Options, I believe.

lighthouse64
Mouser
Mouser

Postby lighthouse64 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:37 pm

Hmm??? I still want to see a better clock that is accurate.
Just your average user...

Oh, and sometimes I arrange stuff like this :P https://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/ ... 25261b1a11

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:55 am

You probably have your timezone settings configured incorrectly. Check the User Control Panel.

Mable
Peach
Peach

Postby Mable » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:27 pm

Magician wrote: Probably a silly question, but how about just a list of direct links to non-featured episode threads below the featured ones? That way people can just go to that page and type ctrl+F.
I agree with this idea. Sounds good to me.

lighthouse64
Mouser
Mouser

Postby lighthouse64 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:10 am

Joey wrote:You probably have your timezone settings configured incorrectly. Check the User Control Panel.
Meh, probably. I don't really care about the time though. I normally don't look at it :P.

Oh, and sometimes I arrange stuff like this :P https://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/ ... 25261b1a11

Raster
Banned

Postby Raster » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:28 am

Honestly I'd disable signatures and reduce avatar size to like 100x100.

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy

Postby Aero » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:38 am

Raster wrote:Honestly I'd disable signatures and reduce avatar size to like 100x100.
Why would you want this exactly?

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:55 am

Magician wrote:Probably a silly question, but how about just a list of direct links to non-featured episode threads below the featured ones? That way people can just go to that page and type ctrl+F.
I am fully supportive of this, since it would help a ton.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

lighthouse64
Mouser
Mouser

Postby lighthouse64 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:54 pm

Come to think of it I might want that.

glitch4
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby glitch4 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:13 am

20 posts per page would be useful for this forum.

Reason: less pages

Superiorstar
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Superiorstar » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:55 am

GLD4 wrote:20 posts per page would be useful for this forum.

Then the forum would lag.
sometimes less means more.
Spoiler: show
ImageImage

One day, we will paint with our minds.
it's been a minute since I've cared about this place, I'll have to do some catching up
If there is a 999 limit on characters, what's the limit on images?

glitch4
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby glitch4 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:36 am

Superiorstar wrote:
GLD4 wrote:20 posts per page would be useful for this forum.

Then the forum would lag.
It wouldn't.

Superiorstar
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Superiorstar » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:42 am

But still that would a bad idea because of the scrolling thingy on the right would be microscopic.
It just seems like a bad idea.
ImageImage

One day, we will paint with our minds.
it's been a minute since I've cared about this place, I'll have to do some catching up
If there is a 999 limit on characters, what's the limit on images?

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby silent_ » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:59 am

Superiorstar wrote:But still that would a bad idea because of the scrolling thingy on the right would be microscopic.
It just seems like a bad idea.
i have to agree with u here
besides, even having 15 posts per page would be annoying
and sometimes 10 posts per page is even too much.
previously known as Kep

Mable
Peach
Peach

Postby Mable » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:49 am

Yeah let's strict it into 5 posts per page and everyone is happy again

/sarcasmus off

Fuyu
Wart
Wart

Postby Fuyu » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:58 am

Is it really important how many posts per page display on the forum threads? What you guys seriously should focus on is the content of the posts, not the amount of posts. Besides, I doubt the Staff that is seriously busy with a lot of stuff would even consider the amount of posts.

glitch4
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby glitch4 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:06 pm

Do you want 200 SMBX screenshot threads? Well, than don't approve my suggestion, then.

Unless in ucp you can change how many posts per page you want, heh.

Return to “SuperMarioBrosX.org”