OPINIONS ON THE NEW STAFF

For topics related to SuperMarioBrosX.org. Suggest anything that you would like to see on the site here.
Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

OPINIONS ON THE NEW STAFF

Postby Danny » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:57 pm

So first let me get out of the way that congratulations on the new staff members. I'm not making this because I wasn't promoted to staff (I could have cared less about that anyway because I suspected I wouldn't have made the cut anyhow, and if you really want me to go into detail on how I know I wouldn't have made the cut, just ask or something.).

While the new moderators are okay, I wasn't expecting there to be such a quick end and conclusion to that thread. It ended far too quickly and seemed almost rushed by Joey. Now, we have too many moderators on the team, what we needed were administrators. We also didn't need the influx of three new moderators, what could have happened was the promotion of FallingSnow to global moderator and then maybe look at promoting one or two of the current global moderators to administrator. That's what we needed, not three more global moderators.

While I respect the users themselves, I have a problem with the global moderators themselves.

I can somewhat see Zeldamaster12 as a Global Moderator, but other than partaking in Mafia or arguments, I don't see him do much else. He could have been promoted to Game Master instead. He also doesn't visit IRC at all really, and that's a requirement for being moderator.

Squishy Rex makes graphics, so do a couple of other people. Sure, he's kind of well known. What qualities would make him fit a Global Moderator job that wouldn't make any other graphic designer fit that job? If you didn't read my application for moderator, I'll post something I suggest there, here.
Spoiler: show
One thing you want to be changed for the forum: I can't say the staffing team considering this is an application to be put on that team. I'd have to say the way general SMBX threads are situated, such as the Graphics forum and Levels forum, and even Projects forum I think. Things need some simplifying and cleaning up.

How you would suggest that change is made: First off, I'll suggest the Graphics forum. I suggest a separate subforum for packs specifically, or at least a subforum for work-in-progress graphics or something of the sort, that way they can be rated and given constructive criticism.

Second, I think the levels forum needs another makeover. What should happen is the removal of the Casual Levels subforum, or the complete removal of the rating system. This will put a lot of level judges out of their jobs, but it would make things seem even. I can somewhat understand the current system we use now, but something irks me about the wording of each rating subforum. This presents us with two possibilities:
We can remove the level ratings system and just stick everything back into the Levels forum for easier access,
or
We could remove the Casual Levels subforum and rework the rating system, such as giving them the actual rating number as the name instead of titles such as "The Best" or "Average" for the subforum names, that way people looking for a level rated in one of those rankings can find it easier, considering not all know how the ranking system works. Which, by the way, the ranking system could also use a face lift if it hasn't already.
When I was a Level Judge, the way judges rate levels is pretty randomized if you ask me. While it is their opinion, the numbers they generate seem pretty strange and sometimes off at times. There should also be a majority vote from judges as to what a level should be ranked as, instead of the opinion of one judge, such as how the contest levels are done. The final ranking of the level should be rounded down to some sort of even amount between all of the judge's rankings, this should make it so levels aren't thrown into random rankings based on a number a single judge gave. This might require more effort, but that's a good thing as it gives a much better end result.

Finally, as for the Projects forum, maybe it can be turned into a subforum in the Episodes forum so it appears a little more apparent that the projects are episodes only and not levels? I've seen a few bit of people put their W.I.P. levels into the Projects. Also, I'd recommend removing the "and we'll consider it for inclusion on the main site." part of the Episodes description, considering the main site is the forums.

Another thing that should be done now that I think about it is having the level judges help rate and decide what the featured episodes are, I haven't really seen that done, and it might actually help decide which episodes get featured. There also should be a way for level judges to moderate the Graphics forum, that or get an official Graphic Designer group to moderate that place, they could also help decide what the featured graphic will be.
Instead of Global Moderator, he would have had a better job in what I had suggested above. I have to ask what qualities he has that other graphic designers don't that made him a fit for the moderator position. He doesn't really visit the IRC that often anyway, which is one of the requirements for being moderator.

Finally, I'd like to bring up Mivixion as a special mention for global moderator. I'm fairly certain all he does is partake in Mafia, and from what I've gathered, he's pretty good friends with Joey in the first place. He would have been better off as a Game Master, I feel as if he was only given the position of Global Moderator because he's friends with Joey. That's not very good. He also doesn't visit IRC at all, which is, again, a requirement for being a moderator.

All three don't really visit IRC, which is, on the UNOFFICIAL moderator application thread, a requirement for being moderator. You can't tell me that once they're moderator, they'll be visiting IRC more often, because when somebody said that they'd visit the forums more often if they were moderator, they were shot down. That's really, really idiotic.

Joey, how about you post a reason as to why all 3 of these users were promoted to Moderator status, and why they were all promoted so quickly? The UNOFFICIAL moderator application thread shouldn't have ended so quickly, and it shouldn't have ended with 3 new moderators. That's too many. You should have promoted some of your current moderators to administrator status first, and you should have promoted FallingSnow to moderator status before hiring 3 new moderators.

Three is too many, and I fail to see how all three would be the best options out of all the applications that had been received.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

SilverDeoxys563
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Re: OPINIONS ON THE NEW STAFF

Postby SilverDeoxys563 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:00 pm

By the way, since it was unofficial, there was no way the whole forums' opinions could have been represented since it wasn't a global announcement. Hardly anyone saw it including myself.
ImageImage
<Ragont> as303298 the movie.wmmp
In these days, I feel particularly blessed, contented, thankful, and inspired to be Christian.

Please don't Steam message me after midnight, kthx.

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:04 pm

SilverDeoxys563 wrote:By the way, since it was unofficial, there was no way the whole forums' opinions could have been represented since it wasn't a global announcement. Hardly anyone saw it including myself.
There's that as well.

Also, I'd like to know how many people put up applications, can we have a list of the people that signed and sent in an application?
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Mivixion
Grinder
Grinder
Chat Username: m1v1x10n

Postby Mivixion » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:06 pm

You're not necessarily wrong, and from what I know, this new staff team is an experiment (don't quote me on that, though). However, I'm definitely going to be more active around the rest of the forum in the future because now it's part of the job.
(If Joey wishes to disclose anything involving the reasons of our promotions, I give him my permission to release mine)

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit
Chat Username: Zeldamaster12

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:11 pm

I'm going to be active on the IRC. The reason why I wasn't before is most of the time, I was on mobile and IRC lags awfully on mobile. I have a laptop now so I should be more active on the forums and IRC.

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Postby Aero » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:12 pm

It was a pretty quick decision, yes, but a consensus was reached just as quickly. Congrats to the new mods.

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:15 pm

If the new staff team was an experiment, why didn't Joey say anything on it? That's a lack of information that would have been good to know.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:17 pm

Oh by the way, about Mafia, I've actually considered to stop playing soon. After 20+ games played, it gets boring. :L

FallingSnow
Ninji
Ninji

Postby FallingSnow » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:23 pm

I'm flattered that you'd like to see me as a Moderator, but I respectfully declined the position when previously asked about it.

As far as your complaint about the number of mods, we did lose two moderators. We gained three. We're more or less back to where we started, though hopefully with more active mods who can take care of the numerous issues about inactive staff people have been complaining about.

Namyrr
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby Namyrr » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:27 pm

8bitmushroom wrote:
SilverDeoxys563 wrote:By the way, since it was unofficial, there was no way the whole forums' opinions could have been represented since it wasn't a global announcement. Hardly anyone saw it including myself.
There's that as well.

Also, I'd like to know how many people put up applications, can we have a list of the people that signed and sent in an application?

There was around ~15 applications sent in, from what I saw.

Squishy Rex
Mouser
Mouser
Current Project: SMBX2 Custom Assets Library
Chat Username: SquishyRex

Postby Squishy Rex » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:30 pm

I will admit, before the IRC was a rarity for me, but with the introduction of that requirement that will change.
Squishy Rex's SMBX2 Custom Asset Pack v1.0
Coming soon!

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:40 pm

Zeldamaster12: A really cool guy that knows when to be serious and when to have fun
Squishy Rex: A nice guy that makes awesome graphics. Plus he's an admin on NSMBX.
Mivixion: I barely know this guy >_>
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo

Postby underFlo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:43 pm

Squishy and ZM are definitely good choices and I'm sure they'll do a great job, not too sure on Mivi but we'll see.
im a girl yo

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:44 pm

Let me ask the question a little better here.

Why do you think these three moderators are deserving or would be good at their position? So far the only answers are "because they're pretty good guys" and I don't really think that's a legitimate, viable response.

SilverDeoxys563
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby SilverDeoxys563 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:47 pm

Why do none of you seem to get that Joey hired mods from an UNOFFICIAL hiring thread that nobody, not even I, knew even existed until 8bit brought it up?

That was far from a democratic election.
ImageImage
<Ragont> as303298 the movie.wmmp
In these days, I feel particularly blessed, contented, thankful, and inspired to be Christian.

Please don't Steam message me after midnight, kthx.

Vinyl Scratch
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Flair: The God Emperor of SMBXkind
Current Project: People will only care about certain facts just as long as they backup their own beliefs.
Chat Username: Hello#3856

Postby Vinyl Scratch » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:48 pm

Squishy Rex knows about Blinx so he's good enough for me
Zeldamaster12 is... Okay in my opinion. From what I've seen his opinions on forum subjects is.. Average at best, at least from what I've seen. What I mean by that is he understands some things but doesn't understand other things. But I've only seen a couple of posts from him, so I can't judge him all too well on that
Who the hell is Mivixion again?

SilverDeoxys563 wrote:Why do none of you seem to get that Joey hired mods from an UNOFFICIAL hiring thread that nobody, not even I, knew even existed until 8bit brought it up?

That was far from a democratic election.
It's SMBX, what do you expect in all honesty
Rest In Peace Privana.
Ad hominem.
Mivixion wrote:We don't cater to the minority.

RegisteredUsername wrote:Well with that shitty attitude of yours, I don't know how you are still on this Forums.

And with that long paragraph of shit, why aren't you classed as the "SMBX Community's bullshiter"?
Snowburger wrote:Also,yeah Vinyl,I must have serious brain damage for not liking something you like XD
DarkMatt wrote:You were off being a shitposter so I didn't bother.
AeroMatter wrote:4/17/2015 - The day an /a/ meme caused conflict in SMBX.
Joey wrote:In the future there will be an official version of SMBX that contains LunaLua, but it's not going to come right now. I promise that it'll happen, though.

<AeroMatter> vinyl tbch cause we need more people like you
<Vinyl> NEET Shitposters?
<AeroMatter> yes

:^)

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:49 pm

I will admit, it did go by too fast. =P

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo

Postby underFlo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:53 pm

Squishy is definitely really responsible, so is ZM. As for Mivi, as I said, I'm really not sure. I think it'd be better if he were just a Game Master so one could see how well he moderates, but alright. It's definitely a welcome change, although I would've preferred to see a Mod (I'd say GH or Pseudo) being promoted to an Admin.
im a girl yo

Vinyl Scratch
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Flair: The God Emperor of SMBXkind
Current Project: People will only care about certain facts just as long as they backup their own beliefs.
Chat Username: Hello#3856

Postby Vinyl Scratch » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:54 pm

O-Oooohhh... That's how I don't know about this user.. Literally 2/3rds of his posts are in the Mafia subforum
Rest In Peace Privana.
Ad hominem.
Mivixion wrote:We don't cater to the minority.

RegisteredUsername wrote:Well with that shitty attitude of yours, I don't know how you are still on this Forums.

And with that long paragraph of shit, why aren't you classed as the "SMBX Community's bullshiter"?
Snowburger wrote:Also,yeah Vinyl,I must have serious brain damage for not liking something you like XD
DarkMatt wrote:You were off being a shitposter so I didn't bother.
AeroMatter wrote:4/17/2015 - The day an /a/ meme caused conflict in SMBX.
Joey wrote:In the future there will be an official version of SMBX that contains LunaLua, but it's not going to come right now. I promise that it'll happen, though.

<AeroMatter> vinyl tbch cause we need more people like you
<Vinyl> NEET Shitposters?
<AeroMatter> yes

:^)

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:03 pm

Vinyl Scratch wrote:Image

O-Oooohhh... That's how I don't know about this user.. Literally 2/3rds of his posts are in the Mafia subforum
Which is why I said he'd be better off a Game Master and not a moderator.

And again, we need one of the global moderators promoted to administrator, since we have literally no administrators. I nominate GhostHawk.
Last edited by Danny on Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “SuperMarioBrosX.org”