[POLL] 100 Page Archives: Trial Two

For topics related to SuperMarioBrosX.org. Suggest anything that you would like to see on the site here.

How should archiving work?

Leave it as-is with no changes to the current system.
3%
Archive topics when they hit 100 pages, but only if they're not discussion oriented.
31%
Stop archiving threads based on page count.
67%

Total votes: 39
Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy

[POLL] 100 Page Archives: Trial Two

Postby Aero » Sat May 16, 2015 7:29 pm

I was right to not hold my breath and wait for a more civil thread to pop up about it, so I'll make this thread. What does everyone think of it? I'll leave a poll, but you can of course repeat your answer with an explanation below, or offer a position I forgot to include.

Oh, and FYI discussion oriented excludes topics like the screenshots thread. That's more of a work sharing thread that doesn't get much more discussion than critiques and compliments.

Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Re: [POLL] 100 Page Archives: Trial Two

Postby Bomber57 » Sat May 16, 2015 7:33 pm

I believe the second option should also include if the author requests the thread be locked and archived at 100 pages regardless.
Living explosives, prone to destroying themselves along with their enemies with their powerful "Self-Destruct." Bombs take the rage built up by being attacked and transform it into energy. This, in turn, makes them grow, sometimes to incredible sizes.

<Joey> you want a dickpic
<pixels> this forum has enough keys to solve SMW twenty times over

Squishy Rex
Mouser
Mouser

Postby Squishy Rex » Sat May 16, 2015 7:37 pm

Well to be honest, we have a system, it works and keeps things uniform, so in this case I'd say we should just leave it as is. It's never been an issue before the latest "Total Drama SMBX" episode, and I highly doubt it'll be much of an issue once this all settles down, unless people feel the need to aggravate the point because they think they can.
Squishy Rex's SMBX2 Custom Asset Pack v1.0
Coming soon!

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Sat May 16, 2015 7:37 pm

I think the second option is the best way to meet in the middle and make everyone satisfied.

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab

Postby underFlo » Sat May 16, 2015 7:38 pm

voted not archieving, but honestly I'm fine either way. It doesn't take long to make a new one every 100 pages.
im a girl yo

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Sat May 16, 2015 7:39 pm

Bomber57 wrote:I believe the second option should also include if the author requests the thread be locked and archived at 100 pages regardless.
Exceptions can be made if the author requests.

HeroOfRhyme
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby HeroOfRhyme » Sat May 16, 2015 7:41 pm

i think its stupid that its 100 pages, it would be more sensible at like 1000 pages right?

100 is just too low, so i picked the third one
[08:20:23] <SleepyKitty> AeroMatter, typing /ignore *!*@* will let you block curtain people CTCP'ing you
[08:20:32] <SleepyKitty> so for an example
[08:20:36] <Marinite> curtain
[08:20:40] <Apex> curtain
[08:20:43] <AeroMatter> curtain

Hi Yuki

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Sat May 16, 2015 7:42 pm

Zeldamaster12 wrote:I think the second option is the best way to meet in the middle and make everyone satisfied.
That was my intention. The complaints were that threads would lose traction and popularity because all of their posts would be gone, but the system works great for the screenshots thread. It's supposed to meet in the middle just as you said, and that's why I voted for it.

HeroOfRhyme
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby HeroOfRhyme » Sat May 16, 2015 7:44 pm

AeroMatter wrote:
Zeldamaster12 wrote:I think the second option is the best way to meet in the middle and make everyone satisfied.
That was my intention. The complaints were that threads would lose traction and popularity because all of their posts would be gone, but the system works great for the screenshots thread. It's supposed to meet in the middle just as you said, and that's why I voted for it.
but its still a pain to revive a thread every time it makes 100 pages, like. At least extend it to 1000 like i said or something? That's meeting in the middle as they still get archived but the thread lasts for years rather than months.
[08:20:23] <SleepyKitty> AeroMatter, typing /ignore *!*@* will let you block curtain people CTCP'ing you
[08:20:32] <SleepyKitty> so for an example
[08:20:36] <Marinite> curtain
[08:20:40] <Apex> curtain
[08:20:43] <AeroMatter> curtain

Hi Yuki

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Sat May 16, 2015 7:52 pm

So many pages of posts can be annoying to go through when you're looking for a specific post.

sleepy
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby sleepy » Sat May 16, 2015 7:54 pm

Zeldamaster12 wrote:So many pages of posts can be annoying to go through when you're looking for a specific post.
Is it really that hard, though?
Regards,
sleepy

IRC Quotes
Spoiler: show

<Legend-tony980> GhostHawk, what is a bot?
<GhostBot> a user without a soul
contact info

dragonfan96
Ninji
Ninji

Postby dragonfan96 » Sat May 16, 2015 8:04 pm

I honestly never like the 100 page thing... what i dont like is that once its achieved and locked its there and forgotten later unless someone brings up that one time scenario.." i.e "Hey remember the Whos ur Waifu thread" "oh yeah i remember that... darn cant post to it no more"

I think that once it reaches 100, it should keep going and btw even though theres 100 plus pages u can just click to the page u want or view unread posts there if u have a sub to that topic,

Another idea is to maybe archive and lock the "troll" threads or any thread that was locked to make the threads more "alive" and not locked everywhere
-Community Contest Results-
CC9- Placed 46th 5.36/10 Sands of Time Tier 3
CC11- Placed 51st 5.72/10 Volcanic Panic Tier 5

You can Find Me Here forums.OmegaRealm.com
On the MC server omegarealm.com (play.omegarealm.com)
YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi8FMZ ... MJe94tH2Yw

FallingSnow
Ninji
Ninji

Postby FallingSnow » Sat May 16, 2015 8:47 pm

A bit of my argument against the 100 page rule from before, although slightly outdated:
50 page topic limits make sifting through topics easier!! Obviously we should do that!
Heck, I bet 25 page topic limits would make sifting even less of a hassle.

So obviously I wasn't being serious? But there is no way to argue that the arbitrary number of 100 pages is better than another arbitrary number of 101 pages as far as difficulty to sort through. I'm sure 101 pages is super difficult for someone to search through for a post. I don't even know how often this happens to begin with.
Obviously you people are the only ones on the entire internet who have this issue, though, because I have never seen anywhere else archiving of threads upon reaching a post count as it's counterproductive and annoying.

Why do we need to make new screenshot threads? I don't know. We can't post all of the screenshots together for some reason. This isn't even a topic people sift through to begin with. If anything, you look at the new posts in the thread, maybe comment on them. Then you go on with your day. Like, it isn't an issue.

But no, we need to cut off topics potentially in the middle of a discussion for no reason other than having topics of 100 pages for some reason. What happens to the people who post on the 99th and maybe 100th pages of that topic? Oh well, screw them for being unlucky or not strategically waiting for the next topic to be made.
Why even 100 pages? What's so good about 100 aside from a joke? What would you guys do if 100 topics got to 99 pages? Archive them? You have no right to archive them because they hit 100 pages because they haven't hit 100 pages. And what's the big deal about hitting 100 from 99? Suddenly the world is going to end because a topic is now 1 page longer than it was before?

Pseudo
Peach
Peach

Postby Pseudo » Sun May 17, 2015 3:35 am

Yeah, I basically agree with FallingSnow. Never understood this rule really; it doesn't make things easier to navigate in practice.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

sleepy
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby sleepy » Sun May 17, 2015 7:31 am

joey can't count past 100
Regards,
sleepy

IRC Quotes

<Legend-tony980> GhostHawk, what is a bot?
<GhostBot> a user without a soul
contact info

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sun May 17, 2015 8:16 am

Nice to see you can't make an argument without insulting me.

crusher169
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby crusher169 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:21 am

many valid arguments and counter-arguments can be made for each option, I took the 3rd option but I don't actually mind as much since not many topic reach 100 pages anyway. navigability shouldn't be a problem, since the search bar exists for a reason (and it doesn't work for any reason at times as well) but at the same time, less pages for the navigability also is bad since topics are locked too early, id suggest either keeping it the same, removing the 100 page limit altogether if possible or only applying it to specific situations. although that's just me that thinks so
I'm not good at making signatures.

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Sun May 17, 2015 9:46 am

I don't think the 100 pages thing is a big deal, just make another thread .__.
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

lighthouse64
Mouser
Mouser

Postby lighthouse64 » Sun May 17, 2015 11:31 am

Zeldamaster12 wrote:So many pages of posts can be annoying to go through when you're looking for a specific post.
Yeah it is. Especially for us lunaDLLers. We're stuck with that looooongg topic because you guys obviously feel like it's ok. :|
Just your average user...

Oh, and sometimes I arrange stuff like this :P https://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/ ... 25261b1a11

Danny
Mario
Mario

Postby Danny » Sun May 17, 2015 3:01 pm

If you really are looking for a specific post that isn't on the latest two-three pages on a thread, there is a really simple and easy to use Search function on this forum, there is also the go-to page function, and there is also the function to view the posts of other users. It's actually not that hard or annoying to search through posts, and I don't really know anyone who goes back on old discussion and brings it up again.

Why would someone have to go back through a thread to look for a specific post in the first place? Usually people just participate in conversation that has been happening for the last two-three pages. And, if by your logic that sifting through a thread with many pages is annoying when looking for a specific post, then sifting through a 10 page thread is annoying. If someone was really searching for a specific post, I think they'd use easier methods of finding it rather than sifting through many pages.

Use logic.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

Return to “SuperMarioBrosX.org”