Off-topic discussion.
Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

What do you (want to) do for a living?

Postby Aero » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:19 am

First off, this isn't a "what you want to be when you grow up" thread, or posting what your dream job is. I just want to see what the employed members of the community do, and currently job searching members are trying to get into.

For me I'm trying to narrow down something in the IT/Computer Repair area, with an end goal of starting a business after some military time learning how to do so along with the technical skills for said business type. Computer Repair as model is basically dead though and would only be feasible for an odd job for quick money than a career, so I'm thinking of settling with a computer hardware store to compete in my area. Not sure about a road map to meet any goals, but I have these ideas on the board. If all else fails though I plan on programming on the side and taking in ad revenue, and switching to more of a financial career which I'm willing to start after going into the military.

What about everyone else? Any plans, are you doing anything? Advice for me or others? Share please.

no NEETs allowed

Squishy Rex
Mouser
Mouser
Current Project: SMBX2 Custom Assets Library
Chat Username: SquishyRex

Re: What do you (want to) do for a living?

Postby Squishy Rex » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:50 am

Well, currently, I'm running my own mobile Car Cleaning service with a few old friends from school. It's fun, or at least we enjoy it, but like any job, it's a responsibility. Plus your work is always on show. At the end of the day it brings in money, which when you have a car and all the expenses that come with it etc., you really need a lot of. I would like to eventuate into Game Design, however, here in Australia, there isn't a big calling for it, nor is there much in the way of help learning about or doing courses for GD.

All I can say is, if you have a job or are looking for work, do whatever you can to keep that job. Once the money stops coming in things can get pretty tight, and I know that first hand, being out of work for nearly 12 months last year. The economy mostly everywhere is down the proverbial toilet currently, so jobs can be hard to come by. Just remember, it doesn't matter what job you have, you have a responsibility to do your best, it's part of the reason you get paid for after all. Plus, your work is always on show, whether you clean cars, trim trees or whatever. Your work reflects you as a person, if the job is done well, you'll keep your job and possibly get more in the future. Word of mouth is a powerful form of advertising too and well all know people talk. For me, this is one of my variables. If I cleaned a car and the customer wasn't satisfied, it'll get around, and something like that can destroy business.
Squishy Rex's SMBX2 Custom Asset Pack v1.0
Coming soon!

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:04 am

Right now I work as a part-time swimming instructor, but after I get through high school and university I'm hoping to get a job as a Geological Engineer, which consists of studying erosion, plate tectonics, volcanoes, and doing a lot of that type of field work.
And good luck Squishy with getting into game design and I hope you have success with your mobile car cleaning service until then.

reghrhre
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby reghrhre » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:15 pm

Im achieving good stuff like having 10k then afterwards... idk, I never planned that far because my future's that bright~

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:29 pm

reghrhre wrote:Im achieving good stuff like having 10k then afterwards... idk, I never planned that far because my future's that bright~
how
Squishy Rex wrote:Word of mouth is a powerful form of advertising too and well all know people talk.
It's a great way to advertise, right next to putting yourself out there. Saves a ton of money, for your service and for yourself to grow.

reghrhre
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby reghrhre » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:06 pm

By working of course, I already have 6k so it's achievable

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Postby TLtimelord » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:14 pm

Landscape Architecture. Just went to a college visit on it today. Good stuff.
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:48 am

I wanna be a game designer, preferably for Nintendo :D

I'd also like to help RobTop (Geometry Dash's developer) with rating levels and stuff because for some reason he refuses to realize that the game is getting too big for just one person
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:49 pm

Turtwig wrote:I wanna be a game designer, preferably for Nintendo :D

I'd also like to help RobTop (Geometry Dash's developer) with rating levels and stuff because for some reason he refuses to realize that the game is getting too big for just one person
AeroMatter wrote:First off, this isn't a "what you want to be when you grow up" thread, or posting what your dream job is.

Vinyl Scratch
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Flair: The God Emperor of SMBXkind
Current Project: People will only care about certain facts just as long as they backup their own beliefs.
Chat Username: Hello#3856

Postby Vinyl Scratch » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:31 pm

Game Designer
student
Last edited by Vinyl Scratch on Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rest In Peace Privana.
Ad hominem.
Spoiler: show
Mivixion wrote:We don't cater to the minority.

RegisteredUsername wrote:Well with that shitty attitude of yours, I don't know how you are still on this Forums.

And with that long paragraph of shit, why aren't you classed as the "SMBX Community's bullshiter"?
Snowburger wrote:Also,yeah Vinyl,I must have serious brain damage for not liking something you like XD
DarkMatt wrote:You were off being a shitposter so I didn't bother.
AeroMatter wrote:4/17/2015 - The day an /a/ meme caused conflict in SMBX.
Joey wrote:In the future there will be an official version of SMBX that contains LunaLua, but it's not going to come right now. I promise that it'll happen, though.

<AeroMatter> vinyl tbch cause we need more people like you
<Vinyl> NEET Shitposters?
<AeroMatter> yes

:^)

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:33 pm

Currently working in a freight forwarding (spedition) in the office.

Have been working for a year in full-time as well starting to work earlier and sometimes longer depending how much we got to do.

It may not be much for you but so far i end up around 750 Euros in a month. Find out by yourself what it is for you.

Ace

Postby Ace » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:08 am

iunno, i'm a comp sci undergrad. Probably gonna get a job in IT with it. I don't have a specific career in mind yet, but I did have a teaching job before i went to uni and lost all of my free time.
Although on the subject of dream jobs, when i was a small ace boy, i wanted to design games. Dunno if i still want to do that, i probably could after i'm done with my degree though.
i probably should have gone into software engineering instead

Shinbison-Kof
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:07 am

Well, I'm student, my time in the school doesn't permit I work, but I want work with design. ( would be amazing if I work in the capcom or snk)
(I have vocation to be teacher, maybe, but I don't want)

Mivixion
Grinder
Grinder
Chat Username: m1v1x10n

Postby Mivixion » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:48 am

Structural engineering interests me quite a bit.

Darkonius Mavakar
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Current Project: Dormiveglia

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:01 am

i've been researching and tryng to study to become an english professor, or a game developer, i guess i still have plenty of time since i'm still 17... right...?
or is it too late...?
My latest SMBX episode
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =36&t=1805

Please stop stealing all the assets made for Delightful Adventure specifically, thanks.

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64
Ko-Fi: https://ko-fi.com/Z8Z68EHJ

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://twitter.com/DormivegliaGame

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:43 pm

Darkonius Mavakar wrote:english professor
why would you do that to yourself?
Darkonius Mavakar wrote:or a game developer, i guess i still have plenty of time since i'm still 17... right...?
or is it too late...?
I keep telling people that want to get into an industry that they need to have a portfolio. You would need to have one with games that you've worked on, so you're a better candidate than some guy who went through school with nothing to show for it other than a sheet of magic paper and some words on a resume.

Game Dev isn't as cool as people think btw.

Squishy Rex
Mouser
Mouser
Current Project: SMBX2 Custom Assets Library
Chat Username: SquishyRex

Postby Squishy Rex » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:46 am

AeroMatter wrote:Game Dev isn't as cool as people think btw.
Quite true, especially when you have to learn how to program etc. Basically think of it as being in school learning a new language other than your native one. It's hard, plus you need to be able to get your head around maths equations, variables etc etc. It isn't just playing games or drawing sprites all day long, there's a lot of hard work that needs to be put into it to succeed. Game Dev is probably one of the more mentally challenging jobs could ever face
AeroMatter wrote:I keep telling people that want to get into an industry that they need to have a portfolio. You would need to have one with games that you've worked on, so you're a better candidate than some guy who went through school with nothing to show for it other than a sheet of magic paper and some words on a resume.
Also this too. It's a good point to bring up. It's like offering to design a tattoo for someone you've never met and they've never sen any of your work, regardless of its quality. If you can throw hundreds of different and designs at them, you'll get the job. Most people (excluding those too drunk to care) wouldn't have any random Joe do this for them, especially something as permanent as a tattoo. If you want that industry, you need the proof to show that is what you're capable of. Those sheets of "magic paper" only ever get you so far, besides, after being out of school for a year, no-one will really care about any of those achievements, as they are really no longer overly relevant. Basically: Proof = Profit.
Squishy Rex's SMBX2 Custom Asset Pack v1.0
Coming soon!

Darkonius Mavakar
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Current Project: Dormiveglia

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:16 am

...i guess i'm still very confused on what i want to do for a living...
And i don't wanna be a game develper because "it's cool" but because i actually want to make games...
...oh well, i guess i still have time to choose something else then...
My latest SMBX episode
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =36&t=1805

Please stop stealing all the assets made for Delightful Adventure specifically, thanks.

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64
Ko-Fi: https://ko-fi.com/Z8Z68EHJ

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://twitter.com/DormivegliaGame

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:49 pm

AeroMatter wrote:I keep telling people that want to get into an industry that they need to have a portfolio. You would need to have one with games that you've worked on, so you're a better candidate than some guy who went through school with nothing to show for it other than a sheet of magic paper and some words on a resume.
Would it count if I filled up my portfolio with SMBX and Geometry Dash? D:
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:01 pm

Turtwig wrote: Would it count if I filled up my portfolio with SMBX and Geometry Dash? D:
There's not only level design in a game, there’s also the whole programming part.
im bored

Return to “Sandbox”