Christianity Thread

Off-topic discussion.
User avatar
Aero
Palom
Palom
Posts: 4639
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:51 pm
Flair: Pirate economy

Christianity Thread

Postby Aero » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:04 am

There's no proper thread for Christianity here, just a general religion thread that died and a bunch of off topic posts about it when Islam was discussed in other threads. I've been reading the Bible a bit, checked out some videos on Mormon Channel about Christ, some stuff about Brother Nathanael & Brother Dean, and have been listening to Common Filth Radio and I've got to say a lot of what I've read and seen is intriguing to say the least. I haven't converted or anything, but as I read I find several verses to be very applicable to the ills of today's dying cultures and more than just "le schizophrenic sand scratchings" like fedoras say. I'm not going to data mine, but if you're a Christian please reference or share your denomination and what you believe and don't. I don't want this thread to go off topic too much so I'd also want to ask that other religions or atheism not be discussed extensively making this a dupe of the Religion Thread.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7116
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Contact:

Re: Christianity Thread

Postby PixelPest » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:58 am

I'm Roman Catholic, so that pretty much revolves around beliefs in creationism, Jesus being God coming down on Earth to die as a human being, thereby saving us from our sins, the Ascension, and His return to Earth at the end of time where the dead will rise and final judgement will be given. It also revolves around beliefs in the Holy Spirit and Heaven. We also are supposed to receive seven Holy Sacraments throughout our lives. We also are supposed to go to church every Sunday and our churches (and basilicas, like the giant churches in Rome, there's one in my city too) are the giant majestic ones with the stained glass windows, pews, etc. One of the things I struggle with believing in is Hell, because if God is all loving and all powerful, why would He let His own creations (us) be eternally tortured by Satin?

I agree that the Bible is interesting to read (I'm not one of those people that reads it every night and has the entire things memorized), but I did have to study it in Religion this year and last year, since I go to a Catholic school, and did quite enjoy those units. Even if you aren't Catholic, the Bible has a lot of interesting stories, especially in the beginning of the Old Testament (such as Genesis, Exodus, etc.) and near the end of the New Testament is especially interesting, yet somewhat disturbing (such as Revelations), however you don't even need to be Christian to understand the morals or enjoy it

User avatar
Aero
Palom
Palom
Posts: 4639
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:51 pm
Flair: Pirate economy

Re: Christianity Thread

Postby Aero » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:30 am

You have to remember that Hell is not a material realm and isn't necessarily the Hollywood style torture porn it's made out to be With Satan* wielding a pitchfork. To be in Hell is to be without God and so therefor without love, goodness, happiness, bonding, respect, or the life benefits that come from these things.

User avatar
SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1468
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Christianity Thread

Postby SnifitGuy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:28 pm

The totally accurate representation of Christianity.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7116
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Contact:

Re: Christianity Thread

Postby PixelPest » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:53 pm

AeroMatter wrote:You have to remember that Hell is not a material realm and isn't necessarily the Hollywood style torture porn it's made out to be With Satan* wielding a pitchfork. To be in Hell is to be without God and so therefor without love, goodness, happiness, bonding, respect, or the life benefits that come from these things.
I'm completely aware that it is just like a cold darkness without the presence of God, but it just seems so awful that He would abandon His own creations. If you had a child that hated you, would you throw them out on the street?

User avatar
Aero
Palom
Palom
Posts: 4639
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:51 pm
Flair: Pirate economy

Re: Christianity Thread

Postby Aero » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:23 pm

To that I would say it's man abandoning God instead of God abandoning man. The essential point of Christianity is believing Christ died and has risen, and that through Him you will enter heaven. It would be more like if your child hated you and then ran away from you, than kicking them out. This kind of goes into what's drawn me towards Christianity, because people defy Christ's teachings and all roads lead to Romans 6:23 every time for them.

User avatar
Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight
Posts: 4301
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:56 pm

Re: Christianity Thread

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:11 pm

SnifitGuy wrote:The totally accurate representation of Christianity
Not appropriate for this thread.

User avatar
SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1468
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Christianity Thread

Postby SnifitGuy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:30 pm

Joey wrote:
SnifitGuy wrote:The totally accurate representation of Christianity
Not appropriate for this thread.
Aww, you're no fun
Your forum, your rules, so fine.

Now for my two sense; I personally identify as Christian (though I'm not exactly the religious sort) because I was brought up in a Christian household. However, my beliefs are very laid back, and are pretty much unchristian in relation to what other Christians believe i.e. I don't personally have an answer for whether or not there is a "God" nor do I personally believe that Jesus is the son of God (if he does exist), but I do believe that he was a great man who was very skilled and selfless. Also, while I do consider myself a Christian, I do not value the Bible as a whole, but rather, the morals that can be taught in certain stories. These believes have led me to question whether or not I can still technically be a Christian, for I do not know what makes someone a Christian as opposed to a non-Christian. I guess I could technically be considered unorthodox, but even then, I don't know what exactly it means to be any sect of Christianity to be honest. I was baptized as an Episcopalian, I believe, but that does not really mean anything to me now, especially considering how I grew up in a very lax household when it comes to religion.

tl:dr I'm Christian, but I really question whether or not it is by name only.

MistakesWereMade
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: Christianity Thread

Postby MistakesWereMade » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:59 pm

SnifitGuy wrote:
Joey wrote:
SnifitGuy wrote:The totally accurate representation of Christianity
Not appropriate for this thread.
Aww, you're no fun
Your forum, your rules, so fine.

Now for my two sense; I personally identify as Christian (though I'm not exactly the religious sort) because I was brought up in a Christian household. However, my beliefs are very laid back, and are pretty much unchristian in relation to what other Christians believe i.e. I don't personally have an answer for whether or not there is a "God" nor do I personally believe that Jesus is the son of God (if he does exist), but I do believe that he was a great man who was very skilled and selfless. Also, while I do consider myself a Christian, I do not value the Bible as a whole, but rather, the morals that can be taught in certain stories. These believes have led me to question whether or not I can still technically be a Christian, for I do not know what makes someone a Christian as opposed to a non-Christian. I guess I could technically be considered unorthodox, but even then, I don't know what exactly it means to be any sect of Christianity to be honest. I was baptized as an Episcopalian, I believe, but that does not really mean anything to me now, especially considering how I grew up in a very lax household when it comes to religion.

tl:dr I'm Christian, but I really question whether or not it is by name only.
That's not being Christian. That's being Agnostic.

User avatar
SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1468
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Christianity Thread

Postby SnifitGuy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:06 am

Nien wrote: That's not being Christian. That's being Agnostic.
You know that Agnostic is not a religion, correct? Also, I'm just saying that I don't know what qualifies an individual to be Christian whether it be name only or certain beliefs, because Christianity is one of the "Big Three" religions in the world.

User avatar
Aero
Palom
Palom
Posts: 4639
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:51 pm
Flair: Pirate economy

Re: Christianity Thread

Postby Aero » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:33 am

What makes someone a Christian is the belief in the divinity of Jesus Christ, that he's God's son, and he died but came back to life.

User avatar
SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1468
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Christianity Thread

Postby SnifitGuy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:45 am

AeroMatter wrote:What makes someone a Christian is the belief in the divinity of Jesus Christ, that he's God's son, and he died but came back to life.
The definition of Christianity would argue with you; it simply states that Christianity is the religion based upon Jesus Christ's teachings. The definitions say nothing about him being the son of God and/or his supposed resurrection.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/christian
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Christianity

User avatar
Aero
Palom
Palom
Posts: 4639
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:51 pm
Flair: Pirate economy

Re: Christianity Thread

Postby Aero » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:50 pm

Your point is moot if you consider John 14:6 and Acts 16:31 since Jesus taught these things. To be completely honest you seem to be part of this new Christianity where the Bible, and faith are thrown out and the only things that matter is "don't judge" and "be nice."

User avatar
SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1468
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Christianity Thread

Postby SnifitGuy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:14 pm

AeroMatter wrote:Your point is moot if you consider John 14:6 and Acts 16:31 since Jesus taught these things. To be completely honest you seem to be part of this new Christianity where the Bible, and faith are thrown out and the only things that matter is "don't judge" and "be nice."
That's pretty much me, lol. I guess I'm just a Christian, and not part of any one sect. In my defense, however, I do not believe that the Bible is entirely lies; I just feel that there are plenty of exaggerations of things that actually did happen (Moses parting the sea, for example, could be explained through a path that had been in the water whether by physical land mass or other materials, or Noah's Ark could just be massive flooding in one particular part of the world). But yeah, I'm pretty much a guy who only really values the morals that each story holds and only think of the stories as exaggerations of the truth or only stories. There are many different takes on what it means to "be a Christian".

ragont
Grinder
Grinder
Posts: 1182
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:05 pm

Re: Christianity Thread

Postby ragont » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:16 pm

I am a devout christian and this here is my 12 gauge

PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7116
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Contact:

Re: Christianity Thread

Postby PixelPest » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:45 pm

SnifitGuy wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:Your point is moot if you consider John 14:6 and Acts 16:31 since Jesus taught these things. To be completely honest you seem to be part of this new Christianity where the Bible, and faith are thrown out and the only things that matter is "don't judge" and "be nice."
That's pretty much me, lol. I guess I'm just a Christian, and not part of any one sect. In my defense, however, I do not believe that the Bible is entirely lies; I just feel that there are plenty of exaggerations of things that actually did happen (Moses parting the sea, for example, could be explained through a path that had been in the water whether by physical land mass or other materials, or Noah's Ark could just be massive flooding in one particular part of the world). But yeah, I'm pretty much a guy who only really values the morals that each story holds and only think of the stories as exaggerations of the truth or only stories. There are many different takes on what it means to "be a Christian".
I guess the issue we're getting to here is Christian by Culture vs. Practicing Christian

User avatar
TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Posts: 2609
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:16 pm
Flair: Info under raps

Re: Christianity Thread

Postby TLtimelord » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:11 am

I personally follow a pretty loose definition of Christianity. I grew up in a fairly lenient Catholic household and most of my entire extended family is Catholic. I go to church most sundays with my dad.

My personal views on the Bible? Any fundamentalists who unconditionally believe every word in it is God's word are delusional extremists in my opinion. There are so many outdated ethics in the Bible and most of them come from the Old Testament. As far as I'm aware (I've done very little studying on the Bible and I really need to do more), Jesus in a way nullified most of the Old Testament through his teachings, which are in the New Testament and I think the New Testament is the half of the Bible that us Christians should really follow more often as opposed to the Old as it would at least make us fit in more with modern society's ever-evolving beliefs.

I will also say that throughout the at most thousand (give or take) years the Bible has been constructed, there has ought to have been many different words changed and translated incorrectly, especially during the early middle age when there was hardly any society left after the fall of the Roman Empire. There is undoubtedly some stuff that may have been changed, removed, or added based on a corrupt pope's desires (and believe me, there was a fuckshit amount of corruption within the Catholic Church throughout the middle ages, like it puts most of modern day corruption to shame). I see most of the Bible as not so much completely 100% true stories, but more or less fables with plenty of potential historical truth behind stories, as well as plenty of lessons for Christians to follow. They don't have to be true stories to believe in the message they're trying to convey.

So aside my tangents, my closing statement is that not all of the stories of the Bible are true, especially if all of its stories come before the middle ages. But the stories likely not being real doesn't nullify any of the messages it tries to teach us Christians. As Christians, we're supposed to be loving and compassionate people. We're not supposed to condemn people for what they do, only condemn their actions. We're meant to be forgiving, no matter what someone has done and we're meant to pray for good fortunes to the people around us, even to the people we hate most. Hatred and wishing bad things upon others is sinful, even if you never speak a word about it to anyone else. Basically, our Bible is supposed to teach us to not be a resentful dick and be happy no matter what. It isn't followed perfectly, but hey, we're not a perfect species.
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

User avatar
Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2153
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:16 pm

Re: Christianity Thread

Postby Valtteri » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:36 am

In order to work, today's society requires that everything is indeed thrown out of Christianity besides "don't judge" and "be nice". I don't mind the faith part (it doesn't really harm anyone to believe in Jesus etc) but it's dangerous to demand that the Bible is taken literally, i.e. that you should be killed for working on Sundays, not being Christian, committing a homosexual act etc.
Image

PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7116
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Contact:

Re: Christianity Thread

Postby PixelPest » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:16 pm

TNTtimelord wrote:My personal views on the Bible? Any fundamentalists who unconditionally believe every word in it is God's word are delusional extremists in my opinion. There are so many outdated ethics in the Bible and most of them come from the Old Testament. As far as I'm aware (I've done very little studying on the Bible and I really need to do more), Jesus in a way nullified most of the Old Testament through his teachings, which are in the New Testament and I think the New Testament is the half of the Bible that us Christians should really follow more often as opposed to the Old as it would at least make us fit in more with modern society's ever-evolving beliefs.
I would disagree. Everything written in the Bible is God-given knowledge and truth, the reader just can't always take it literally

User avatar
SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1468
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Christianity Thread

Postby SnifitGuy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:28 pm

But if God is omniscient, then his wisdom would never be questioned, meaning what he said would have to be taken literally.


Return to “Sandbox”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests