What is America's worst social problem?

Off-topic discussion.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
User avatar
Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Posts: 4968
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Re: What is America's worst social problem?

Postby Cedur » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:56 pm

practicalshorty014 wrote:But seriously, racism? Tell me more, I've gotten it almost every day for the past 10 years, and hear me out, there's nothing worse than getting ignored by other people in a group activity because you're the only black girl there.
Never heard about how biased jurisdiction in the US is? Of course racism is a thing in private everyday life as well.
Image

Supports: show
Image
Image
Image
Image

Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

User avatar
DarkMatt
Banned
Posts: 1144
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:03 pm

Re: What is America's worst social problem?

Postby DarkMatt » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:00 pm

Supershroom wrote:Men are still significantly advantaged over women in many practical situations of life. Feminism has its justification also in the western civilization. I don't even get why there's this much to discuss.
It's because if I had to think of a social problem Americans don't admit, or know of, it's ignorance. That's probably because it's hard to fix that problem because it requires not just them making an effort, but literally everyone else.

You might've noticed we aren't a very um, informed, people. This is coming from the country who used the press to organize resistance against the British and keep running updates on war. That's the high point. If a problem's deemed trivial to America as a whole, it's not given that sort of exposure. That's up to the people making that change. Understandably, they don't raise their voice above the cacophony.

It's the catch-22 of our freedom and equality. We welcomed all backgrounds and cultures and opinions on the matter, but no one ever said they had to get along. They just had to mesh with America.

Also as a brief aside, remember that racism is a two-way street.
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2426
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:02 pm
Flair: All toasters toast toast
Current Project: Nothing
Chat Username: practical

Re: What is America's worst social problem?

Postby Rhosty » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:05 pm

Supershroom wrote:
practicalshorty014 wrote:But seriously, racism? Tell me more, I've gotten it almost every day for the past 10 years, and hear me out, there's nothing worse than getting ignored by other people in a group activity because you're the only black girl there.
Never heard about how biased jurisdiction in the US is? Of course racism is a thing in private everyday life as well.
I know how stupid some court rule is, and it's sad how I have to live with that and the daily racism, and sad that almost everybody in the world has to deal with it too.

User avatar
Bluigi
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:43 pm
Contact:

Re: What is America's worst social problem?

Postby Bluigi » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:32 pm

Supershroom wrote:Men are still significantly advantaged over women in many practical situations of life. Feminism has its justification also in the western civilization. I don't even get why there's this much to discuss.

There's more important subjects. Racism. It makes me smh so many times and it gives me the shivers so many times. Equality before the law? Justice? HUMAN RIGHTS? Fiddlesticks. The US are in no position to claim being a paragon of these values.
They aren't. Women have more priviliges than men in the West. We don't need things like feminism, there is no reason to, why is it so hard to understand that?

Men and women both have problems like stereotypes etc., what we need is not feminism, not menism, but anti-sexism. Many feminists are just men-haters which want to achieve more rights for women than men. Feminism has become a sexistic movement and it has to stop.

User avatar
Lwiri_
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:54 pm
Current Project: Legend of Zelda:Mushroom Adventure
Chat Username: Lwiri_

Re: What is America's worst social problem?

Postby Lwiri_ » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:14 pm

We're usually over-confident, and just because USA made things like Hamburgers and Potato Chips somehow makes us much better than the other continents/countries everywhere else, and how we win more wars than we lose(we lost 3 wars, excluding The War of 1812) and that we earned the title of Superpower, we're the greatest thing ever created in the universe.
I'm that guy who watches you sleep.

User avatar
onpon4
Swooper
Swooper
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 7:31 am

Re: What is America's worst social problem?

Postby onpon4 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:35 pm

Men are still significantly advantaged over women in many practical situations of life.
Situations such as...?
there's nothing worse than getting ignored by other people in a group activity because you're the only black girl there.
If that is your worst experience, you must be incredibly privileged. There are so many things worse than being ignored that I won't even bother listing them. No one has a right to be paid attention to. You have to earn attention. You don't have any evidence to back up your implied assumption that black people are ignored more than white people because they're black.
Never heard about how biased jurisdiction in the US is?
That's very dubious. There are a disproportionate number of black people in prisons, for example, but there are also a disproportionate number of black people in poverty. I tend to subscribe to the position that most of the problem is poverty and that there might be a slight amount of racism making it a bit worse. In any case, we don't really know. It gets tiring to see people state affirmatively that the system is racist, sexist, etc as if it's a firmly established fact, when it's clearly debatable. This kind of nonsense is used to justify demonizing anyone who disagrees with or questions the dubious assertion. This is something cults do, not something legitimate political activists do.

User avatar
Uzendayo
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:11 pm
Current Project: I don't even know anymore

Re: What is America's worst social problem?

Postby Uzendayo » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:01 pm

In regards to this whole feminism debacle, I think we should look at who and how they are presenting their arguments. If you look at all of the major "feminists" heads, they complain and complain about problems that, most of the time, have no backing. The ones that do however, such as the two articles that Valterri posted, have major flaws and don't make any sense when analyzed critically.
The wage gap one for example, is wrong due to the way that the study was conducted. The study looked at all of the wages of everyone in the US and separating them by gender, finding the averages and comparing them. This is just a bad experiment because it doesn't take into consideration the different jobs men and women have. Statistically, men are more on the extremes on the spectrum of income, with there being more male CEOs and more male janitors and sewage workers; while women usually stay more towards the middle. It is literally illegal to pay women less due to them being a women. They could be payed less due to them taking less hours to take care of a child or even maybe due to them not working as hard. This is what is causing the wage gap.

But these feminists don't care about the problems with these studies. They look at them and think they have something to scream at men with, and make them feel guilty with. Although there are some genuine feminists out there, the majority of the ones that want to make themselves known usually want to be better than men or don't care about men. Some are even proud misanderists, and take pride on how they hate women. This is why people hate feminism, because they ruin everyones fun and hate men.
Spoiler: show
I placed 18th in CC8,
I placed 8th in CC11, and I
Won 1st in the First Vanilla Level Competition
┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
You might know me as Epoch
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING

User avatar
arcade999
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1348
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:23 pm
Current Project: I was working on something and AAAARRRGGGHHH, FUCK, MY LAPTOP BROKE!!!
Chat Username: arcade999

Re: What is America's worst social problem?

Postby arcade999 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:55 pm

TUWAN wrote:
Pseudo wrote:Probably racism. It might not be as overt as it was in the 60s, but racism is still baked pretty deep into American culture, and it's horrible.
It's about to get ALOT worst with two things:

1. Trump is going to be president
2. People don't take femenism as seriously anymore (When someone hears "femenist" they think of a fat girl with dyed hair saying all men are pigs. That sort of stuff.)
I so agree with you! Think about blacks poeple killed by cops, this is terrible! :geek:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
check out my (shitpost) youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-fkps ... oRYc6XtNxQ
check out my discord server: https://discord.gg/nAjhRGb
check out my forum: http://arcade999forum.freeforums.net/
StickGuyGamez wrote:BRING ME BACK TO PENIS
Super Nick Bros X wrote:bruh
RTisBack wrote:Jesus christ isn't a lord/god you piece of human with no brain, and i mean that allah is the only one god.
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
arcade999 wrote:do using ms paint make me a bad human being?
No. It makes you a great veteran and someone who deserves respect...

unless you use Windows 7 paint
Noodle wrote:Danny is a crapposter. (I was in school when I typed this)
Snessy the duck wrote:
Electriking wrote:What the fuck is going on with this topic?
I have no idea. This guy honestly seems like a bot.

User avatar
DarkMatt
Banned
Posts: 1144
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:03 pm

Re: What is America's worst social problem?

Postby DarkMatt » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:44 pm

arcade999 wrote:I so agree with you! Think about blacks poeple killed by cops, this is terrible! :geek:
I already have.

Now what?
Uzendayo wrote:In regards to this whole feminism debacle, I think we should look at who and how they are presenting their arguments.
Sexism being illegal doesn't quite work on two counts: the people gyping the women can make an effort to blackmail the woman or otherwise stop her from doing anything about it, or, the woman in question can trust screaming more than this arbitrary, convoluted, expensive, and manipulable thing called law and order. Either way, dishonesty isn't so easily defeated as being a tattletale. Whether it's because of a lack of effort, or a feeling of distrust, we don't actually solve the problem by just letting it sort itself out. If it could, the problem wouldn't be there in the first place.
onpon4 wrote:I tend to subscribe to the position that most of the problem is poverty and that there might be a slight amount of racism making it a bit worse. In any case, we don't really know. It gets tiring to see people state affirmatively that the system is racist, sexist, etc as if it's a firmly established fact, when it's clearly debatable. This kind of nonsense is used to justify demonizing anyone who disagrees with or questions the dubious assertion. This is something cults do, not something legitimate political activists do.
I'd like to respond to this because this is close, but not on target. Yeah, poverty plays a major role in disorder, but what causes that poverty? Plenty of things, actually, but for black people? Racism is probably going to be the most touted excuse.

But they're not entirely wrong. It's getting better, but racism is still something that can really screw over minorities in this state. Because it has gone from blatant to subtle, moving from slavery to segregation to unenforced tolerance. If you do not believe me, then try telling me right now that incidents like Ferguson and the Black Lives Matter movement wasn't had nothing to do with racism. Everyone who can't prove it insists, and those who can aren't going to because Jesus Christ can you imagine how worse it can get if you take a raving mob and tell them, "yeah that is exactly what I did you are right to be mad?" Lynching is a possibility among other barbaric conclusions. Now, don't get me wrong, what happened to the police force of Ferguson was almost just as bad. Almost. Not admitting racism was just attempting to put the breaks on civil disorder and keep it from flaring up. Except, it still did, so shrug. That's what happens when you're conservative, and it's really hard to not be when you're trying to avoid loss, because the other social problems like irresponsibility and entitlement and whatnot get in the way as well.
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

User avatar
Bluigi
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:43 pm
Contact:

Re: What is America's worst social problem?

Postby Bluigi » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:51 pm

arcade999 wrote:
TUWAN wrote:
Pseudo wrote:Probably racism. It might not be as overt as it was in the 60s, but racism is still baked pretty deep into American culture, and it's horrible.
It's about to get ALOT worst with two things:

1. Trump is going to be president
2. People don't take femenism as seriously anymore (When someone hears "femenist" they think of a fat girl with dyed hair saying all men are pigs. That sort of stuff.)
I so agree with you! Think about blacks poeple killed by cops, this is terrible! :geek:
Wtf, is this irony?

User avatar
onpon4
Swooper
Swooper
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 7:31 am

Re: What is America's worst social problem?

Postby onpon4 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:17 pm

DarkMatt wrote:If you do not believe me, then try telling me right now that incidents like Ferguson and the Black Lives Matter movement wasn't had nothing to do with racism.
This is a strawman. I never said that racism doesn't exist. I only said that I don't think racism is the primary driving factor behind the fact that the black American demographic is generally worse off than the white American demographic. Particular instances of racism do not prove otherwise; they only prove that racism exists, because of course it does. Racism against white people exists too, as was made perfectly clear by the recent Chicago kidnapping and torture of a white man by four black teenagers.

By the way, there isn't even any good evidence that the shooting of Michael Brown was a result of racism or even that it was unjustified. So that case isn't even a good example for what you're trying to prove.

User avatar
DarkMatt
Banned
Posts: 1144
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:03 pm

Re: What is America's worst social problem?

Postby DarkMatt » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:05 pm

onpon4 wrote:This is a strawman. I never said that racism doesn't exist. I only said that I don't think racism is the primary driving factor behind the fact that the black American demographic is generally worse off than the white American demographic. Particular instances of racism do not prove otherwise; they only prove that racism exists, because of course it does. Racism against white people exists too, as was made perfectly clear by the recent Chicago kidnapping and torture of a white man by four black teenagers.

By the way, there isn't even any good evidence that the shooting of Michael Brown was a result of racism or even that it was unjustified. So that case isn't even a good example for what you're trying to prove.
This is a good response, though I wasn't listing examples because I was making assumptions, sorry you thought otherwise. I was presenting examples to apply your argument to, and see how it holds up. I think you have a good point, however, I do have to disagree and say racism plays the biggest role. And it's not because it statistically in, in fact, concerning raw numbers it isn't. The problem is that no one focuses on the poverty aspect because the racism aspect is, wrongly, assumed to be the easier battle to fight: just gotta throw enough yellow flags at the problem and it'll go away right? That's the assumption at least.

You can't exactly organize fear and loathing into a nice bullet point alongside the statistical numbers implying poverty. Those multiple proven instances of racism adds up, for one, and for another, they're a bastard to count. It's not like racial intolerance is an easily identified action that can be quantified, especially when we've seen an evolution in how people of less privilege is treated today.

That's why I brought up Michael Brown. Hell I think you're right when you say racism playing a role in that shooting is frivolous, but we're not dealing with hard evidence and history here. We're dealing with emotional and societal threats to stability. I'd like to live in a world where rationality prevails but that and natural instincts is like water and oil, and your brain processes the latter first. That's why when no one took responsibility and can explain what happened in Ferguson, the lowest common denominator, or most easily perceived danger, was accepted in its place: racism.

That's why racism is a bigger factor, because it's the easy answer when there is no concrete answer, in addition to the situations where it is the answer. It really colors expectations and consequences more than I think you imagine, and the conditions of the racial minorities can be improved, first by stopping the majority's acts of racism, and second by the minorities relaxing and not fearing racism.
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

User avatar
onpon4
Swooper
Swooper
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 7:31 am

Re: What is America's worst social problem?

Postby onpon4 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:50 pm

That's why racism is a bigger factor, because it's the easy answer when there is no concrete answer, in addition to the situations where it is the answer. It really colors expectations and consequences more than I think you imagine, and the conditions of the racial minorities can be improved, first by stopping the majority's acts of racism, and second by the minorities relaxing and not fearing racism.
I don't see how this supports your point. Here's how I see it: if a perception of racism is causing problems (and I agree that it is), then the solution isn't first to end racism. That can never be achieved 100% anyway. The solution is first to stop saying that people are racist and object to spurious claims that people are racist when possible.

User avatar
DarkMatt
Banned
Posts: 1144
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:03 pm

Re: What is America's worst social problem?

Postby DarkMatt » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:38 pm

onpon4 wrote:I don't see how this supports your point. Here's how I see it: if a perception of racism is causing problems (and I agree that it is), then the solution isn't first to end racism. That can never be achieved 100% anyway. The solution is first to stop saying that people are racist and object to spurious claims that people are racist when possible.
Well that's what we've been trying and I think that's pretty easy to see what that's accomplished so far.

It's the biggest factor in racism but the solution isn't to just assume ending racism ends racism. The solution would be to solve the problems like the ones you've outlined to overall low the fear of racism. In terms of problems that need to be solve, just "racism" isn't one of them. But as for the biggest factors of this social problem, "racism" can sum it up quite nicely.

It's not so much the cause of the problem more than it is the result, which perpetuates the problems that cause it. It's why a focus should be on reducing or eliminating those fears instead of just solving whatever's causing that. It helps to know context when confronting complex issues like racism.

That's why I classify the very act as a bigger problem than whatever causes it, if only because the actual problems are a more focused, less inclusive part of the broader category. If I'm trying to argue anything at this point, it's that poverty causing social unrest is not the big picture, and focusing on what causes racism over what causes poverty will reveal more going wrong.

Looking at it a different way, you are right and poverty is the biggest problem. It's a matter of different approaches at this point. If the goal is to stop racism, then I think it's best to focus on that itself. Focusing on solving poverty and seeing a byproduct of reduced racism wouldn't be as effective as solving racism and seeing a byproduct of reduced poverty. Either works, but for the sake of stopping racism, I would say you'd want to focus on the factors of racism first over the factors of poverty. It's a weird problem to make heads and tails out of since there's a lot of overlap, and indeed, it's all down to the approach you take.
[center]From illusion to truth. From darkness to light. From doom to eternity.[/center]

User avatar
onpon4
Swooper
Swooper
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 7:31 am

Re: What is America's worst social problem?

Postby onpon4 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:53 pm

Well that's what we've been trying
I can't say I agree with that statement. In recent memory, I've seen nothing but an expansion of hysteria over supposed racism and sexism.
The solution would be to solve the problems like the ones you've outlined to overall low the fear of racism. In terms of problems that need to be solve, just "racism" isn't one of them. But as for the biggest factors of this social problem, "racism" can sum it up quite nicely.
I'm not sure what problems you're referring to. Poverty? Obviously that should be reduced, but it's not a racial issue. Calling poverty "racism" is inaccurate and only serves to further perpetuate hysteria.
It's why a focus should be on reducing or eliminating those fears instead of just solving whatever's causing that.
Yes... that would entail pointing out when accusations of racism are unfounded.
If I'm trying to argue anything at this point, it's that poverty causing social unrest is not the big picture, and focusing on what causes racism over what causes poverty will reveal more going wrong.
I think you're trying to find a simple answer where there isn't one. Over-simplifying issues like this is not productive, and in this case, it can even contribute to divisiveness. It's a complex issue.

Making an issue out to be simple makes it easier to take action. But it also makes it easier to take the wrong action.

User avatar
underFlo
Mario
Mario
Posts: 4481
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:44 am
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo
Contact:

Re: What is America's worst social problem?

Postby underFlo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:10 pm

Didn't really post here yet since I'm not an American so my opinion will be inherently biased, but that's exactly why I'm looking for corrections for whatever false assumptions I make.

I'd say it's the 2-Party-system and as a result of that demonizing the opposition. First of all, I think a 2-Party-system causes an inherent "we vs. them" attitude with a lot of people, because you have to be for one of those sides! In my opinion, in politics it's almost impossible to find one right way, especially if there's only two big parties which are essentially echo chambers. As a result of that, not only do people feel the need to pick a side, people are also quick to assign others to one side and as such disregard their points completely.

It's worth noting that very few people are inherently evil - they may be selfish or misinformed, but usually they do what they think is right, so seeing opposing people as evil is really bad and stops any discussion from happening. This leads to a lot of arguments from both sides being ignored.

Of course those issues are by no means exclusive to the US, in Germany for instance the AfD has been demonized to hell and back, leading to next to no discussion on their arguable policies because they're getting dismissed as Nazis, causing people to not see the potential downsides because they are barely mentioned in a neutral way (tho at this point, even that may be demonized). This is, however, an even bigger problem in America because there's only 2 meaningful parties.

tl;dr people are rarely evil, seek a dialogue when possible. Consider why people think a certain way without resorting to negative attributes like "uninformed" or "selfish".

Edit: actually i did post here already but it wasnt all that meaningful so oops
im a girl yo

User avatar
BTB
Lakitu
Lakitu
Posts: 424
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:24 am
Current Project: smoking weed and killing motherfuckas on xbox
Chat Username: btb

Re: What is America's worst social problem?

Postby BTB » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:10 pm

republican influence over media
Last edited by BTB on Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
arcade999
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1348
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:23 pm
Current Project: I was working on something and AAAARRRGGGHHH, FUCK, MY LAPTOP BROKE!!!
Chat Username: arcade999

Re: What is America's worst social problem?

Postby arcade999 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:57 pm

Bluigi wrote:
arcade999 wrote:
TUWAN wrote:
It's about to get ALOT worst with two things:

1. Trump is going to be president
2. People don't take femenism as seriously anymore (When someone hears "femenist" they think of a fat girl with dyed hair saying all men are pigs. That sort of stuff.)
I so agree with you! Think about blacks poeple killed by cops, this is terrible! :geek:
Wtf, is this irony?
Nop, i was very serious, but its hard to look serious when you are known do funny things.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
check out my (shitpost) youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-fkps ... oRYc6XtNxQ
check out my discord server: https://discord.gg/nAjhRGb
check out my forum: http://arcade999forum.freeforums.net/
StickGuyGamez wrote:BRING ME BACK TO PENIS
Super Nick Bros X wrote:bruh
RTisBack wrote:Jesus christ isn't a lord/god you piece of human with no brain, and i mean that allah is the only one god.
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
arcade999 wrote:do using ms paint make me a bad human being?
No. It makes you a great veteran and someone who deserves respect...

unless you use Windows 7 paint
Noodle wrote:Danny is a crapposter. (I was in school when I typed this)
Snessy the duck wrote:
Electriking wrote:What the fuck is going on with this topic?
I have no idea. This guy honestly seems like a bot.

User avatar
Bluigi
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:43 pm
Contact:

Re: What is America's worst social problem?

Postby Bluigi » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:11 pm

arcade999 wrote:
Bluigi wrote:
arcade999 wrote: I so agree with you! Think about blacks poeple killed by cops, this is terrible! :geek:
Wtf, is this irony?
Nop, i was very serious, but its hard to look serious when you are known do funny things.
"Omg, this black man just shot 12 people, how can the police dare shooting him!? RACISM!"

User avatar
Electriking
Posts: 4324
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:32 pm
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing
Contact:

Re: What is America's worst social problem?

Postby Electriking » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:46 pm

Spinda wrote:Didn't really post here yet since I'm not an American so my opinion will be inherently biased, but that's exactly why I'm looking for corrections for whatever false assumptions I make.

I'd say it's the 2-Party-system and as a result of that demonizing the opposition. First of all, I think a 2-Party-system causes an inherent "we vs. them" attitude with a lot of people, because you have to be for one of those sides! In my opinion, in politics it's almost impossible to find one right way, especially if there's only two big parties which are essentially echo chambers. As a result of that, not only do people feel the need to pick a side, people are also quick to assign others to one side and as such disregard their points completely.

It's worth noting that very few people are inherently evil - they may be selfish or misinformed, but usually they do what they think is right, so seeing opposing people as evil is really bad and stops any discussion from happening. This leads to a lot of arguments from both sides being ignored.

Of course those issues are by no means exclusive to the US, in Germany for instance the AfD has been demonized to hell and back, leading to next to no discussion on their arguable policies because they're getting dismissed as Nazis, causing people to not see the potential downsides because they are barely mentioned in a neutral way (tho at this point, even that may be demonized). This is, however, an even bigger problem in America because there's only 2 meaningful parties.

tl;dr people are rarely evil, seek a dialogue when possible. Consider why people think a certain way without resorting to negative attributes like "uninformed" or "selfish".

Edit: actually i did post here already but it wasnt all that meaningful so oops
The same could be applied to the UK, although it isn't quite to the same extent as the US but only the Labour Party and Conservative Party have been in power of the UK for the past 100 years. I think the last time that neither party were in power was when the Liberal Democrats in like 1905. So since only 2 parties ever get a chance of winning, then that does kind of suggest that a 2 party system is in place.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF


Return to “Sandbox”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests