Windows Vista Support has Ended (2007-2017)

Off-topic discussion.

Windows Vista is ending which Windows Version are you going to install.

Poll ended at Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:47 pm

56%
11%
33%

Total votes: 9
Kixubug
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Current Project: Project EonShroom
Chat Username: Kixu

Windows Vista Support has Ended (2007-2017)

Postby Kixubug » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:47 pm

WINDOWS VISTA END OF SUPPORT (January 30th 2007- April 11th 2017)

Windows Vista support has ended and the Windows Media Center for the OS has been discontinued.

This is going to be the end of Windows Vista on April 11th, and a lot of people are hating the Windows Vista, The reason why they hated because Service Pack 1 can cause a problem and it can have junk files and BSOD And we have to say goodbye to the horrible OS.

After April 11, 2017, Windows Vista customers will no longer receive new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options, or online technical content updates from Microsoft. Microsoft has provided support for Windows Vista for the past 10 years, but the time has come for us, along with our hardware and software partners, to invest our resources towards more recent technologies so that we can continue to deliver great new experiences.

If you continue to use Windows Vista after support has ended, your computer will still work but it might become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. Internet Explorer 9 is no longer supported, so if your Windows Vista PC is connected to the Internet and you use Internet Explorer 9 to surf the web, you might be exposing your PC to additional threats. Also, as more software and hardware manufacturers continue to optimize for more recent versions of Windows, you can expect to encounter more apps and devices that do not work with Windows Vista. 

Microsoft has also stopped providing Microsoft Security Essentials for download on Windows Vista. If you already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you'll continue to receive antimalware signature updates for a limited time. However, please note that Microsoft Security Essentials (or any other antivirus software) will have limited effectiveness on PCs that do not have the latest security updates. This means that PCs running Windows Vista will not be secure and will still be at risk for virus and malware. 

R.I.P
Windows Vista
(January 30th 2007 - April 11th 2017)
Last edited by Kixubug on Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 8 times in total.
PLEASE NOTE: I often rarely used this site in case if I could. If you want to talk to me please Private Message me so I can answer your questions.

SOCIAL LINKS:
deivantArt: https://www.deviantart.com/kixubug
Twitter: https://twitter.com/kixubug
tumblr: https://kixibugstudios.tumblr.com/
The Three Main Mascots: show

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit
Chat Username: Zeldamaster12

Re: Windows Vista support is ending in 3 DAYS

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:42 am

Does anyone even use Vista anymore?

[Egg]Egg
Blooper
Blooper
Current Project: Super Mario World: The Lost Levels

Postby [Egg]Egg » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:39 am

Zeldamaster12 wrote:Does anyone even use Vista anymore?
Yes I still do
Asriel will always be my favorite.
Also if you don't know one's gender, use "they" or "them" instead of "he" or "him". In this case I sexually identify as an egg.
[rimg]http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 1318992465[/rimg] is my dream laptop.
yes, new thread coming soon

bossedit8
Banned
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:42 am

I remember using Vista back in the day but we had to switch it because the PC died sooo...

RSupertheGreat
Grinder
Grinder
Flair: I'm the Unfounded Artist.
Current Project: TMC, M&L Dimensional Shift
Chat Username: RSuperPKEsper

Postby RSupertheGreat » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:44 am

I don't know if I use Windows Vista, I'm using my brother's PC (that is Microsoft Windows 10 Pro) but he allows me to use it.

I rarely come here cus I preferred to be in Discord and anything outside of being in the forums.

The Untold Truth: show
Most people here don't assume my gender, feel free to use "they" and "them" as long as it doesn't refer to many people or something. But I'm of course a girl.
Imageyes i have g+ except its gonna get shut down soon rip
Best moments on Discord: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Linkopolis: show
ImageImageImageImage
hi there signature reader

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: All toasters toast toast
Current Project: Nothing
Chat Username: practical

Postby Rhosty » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:54 am

I used to have a PC with Windows Vista SP2 on it, it died after a couple of years of using it because of a power shortage. Both laptops that my uncle bought me have Windows 10 on them, of course, one of them no longer works because of a spill, but I'm glad that my current laptop doesn't have Vista on it.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:53 am

what's next, Windows 7 support is gonna end next year?!?
(Mega Drive GFX Pack coming soon)
Mario RPG goals (62% of the goals completed)
My Pixiv
I'm autistic & have ADHD.

onpon4
Swooper
Swooper

Postby onpon4 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:02 am

NintendoOtaku93 wrote:what's next, Windows 7 support is gonna end next year?!?
Windows Vista was supported for 10 years. That's twice as long as a long-term support Ubuntu release. And all versions of Ubuntu available in 2009 (the year Windows 7 was released) are not currently supported.

You can criticize Microsoft for a lot of things, especially making Windows proprietary software and therefore denying people the liberty to change and maintain it themselves by forking it, as well as the malicious features in Microsoft software. But not supporting an OS forever is not a legitimate thing to complain about. Microsoft is at the high end when it comes to support duration.

NightKawata
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Metanet Hunter -1
Chat Username: NightKawata

Postby NightKawata » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:45 pm

i mean any computer that was natively running vista is probably horribly outdated nowadays
we have these fancy things like skylake processors, ryzens, gtx 10 series (man gtx 10 series whewwww what a puppy)

i remember using vista on... my mom's laptop, way back in 07
and lemme tell you that laptop was a fuckin brick compared to what we have now

but yeah i mean vista is 3 operating systems behind and it had a "good" run
holy shit man time flies though

anyhoo for the vista users, it may be time for an upgrade
and that upgrade is probably well deserved
Go play Metanet Hunter CD: http://store.steampowered.com/app/586570/
Go look at Metanet Hunter CD: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=15229

Code: Select all

>mario isn't canon, when you die he faces the screen

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: All toasters toast toast
Current Project: Nothing
Chat Username: practical

Postby Rhosty » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:29 pm

I'd consider Vista the worst version of Windows, it was basically a downgrade from XP, because it performed terribly in terms of hardware specifications. I'm glad Microsoft is finally ditching Windows Vista for good, so I don't understand why people are bitching about the support ending.

loop13
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: I mainly play Celeste nowadays
Current Project: failing English IV
Chat Username: loop13uh

Postby loop13 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:53 pm

practicalshorty014 wrote:I'd consider Vista the worst version of Windows, it was basically a downgrade from XP, because it performed terribly in terms of hardware specifications. I'm glad Microsoft is finally ditching Windows Vista for good, so I don't understand why people are bitching about the support ending.
Windows Vista does sound like a piece of nuclear garbage (know who I am referencing?), but some people cannot afford to upgrade.
Hello, I make a lot of typos
specific people know my whereabouts though

my wifi is as useful as a brick

im more active on discord

:idea: I'm not (completely) dead; I rarely talk because I usually have nothin to say; I'll talk when I actually have a comment I want to make, or if someone asks me somethin...

nostalgia is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

anything before 2020 is most likely me being a weirdo or an idiot.

glitch4
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby glitch4 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:09 pm

Computer technicians are not ready to end the next version early, so don't worry

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:17 pm

Support for Windows 7 won't end until early 2020.
practicalshorty014 wrote:I'd consider Vista the worst version of Windows, it was basically a downgrade from XP, because it performed terribly in terms of hardware specifications. I'm glad Microsoft is finally ditching Windows Vista for good, so I don't understand why people are bitching about the support ending.
There has been worse before. Windows ME, for example, was considered a heavy downgrade from Windows 98 in that it was really slow, unstable and full of bugs - apparently if you plug in a USB on a ME computer it'll just crash with a blue screen. Also, what was the point of releasing both Windows 2000 and ME at the same time when they could have just gone ahead and simply released 2000?
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

NightKawata
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby NightKawata » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:48 pm

HeroLinik wrote:
Support for Windows 7 won't end until early 2020.
There has been worse before. Windows ME, for example, was considered a heavy downgrade from Windows 98 in that it was really slow, unstable and full of bugs - apparently if you plug in a USB on a ME computer it'll just crash with a blue screen. Also, what was the point of releasing both Windows 2000 and ME at the same time when they could have just gone ahead and simply released 2000?

relevant

[Egg]Egg
Blooper
Blooper
Current Project: Super Mario World: The Lost Levels

Postby [Egg]Egg » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:24 pm

No, the end of it's supportage is 2020.
Asriel will always be my favorite.
Also if you don't know one's gender, use "they" or "them" instead of "he" or "him". In this case I sexually identify as an egg.
[rimg]http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 1318992465[/rimg] is my dream laptop.
yes, new thread coming soon

NightKawata
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby NightKawata » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:21 am

[Egg]Egg wrote:
No, the end of it's supportage is 2020.
HeroLinik beat you to the punch, yo.

Windows 7 is "only" about 8 years old, anyhoo. Took 15 years to get rid of Windows XP of all things, Windows Vista took 10, and it'd make sense that 7 took 10 as well.
Besides, Windows 7 is too cool for school.

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:42 am

NightKawata wrote:Besides, Windows 7 is too cool for school.
In fact, a lot of the public-access computer terminals at university are still on Windows 7. Luckily for us, we get access to a special terminal for computer science students only, and it's on Windows 8.1. It may be considered worse than Windows 7 but at least there's no worry about support ending soon.
YouTube channel

NightKawata
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby NightKawata » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:47 pm

HeroLinik wrote:
In fact, a lot of the public-access computer terminals at university are still on Windows 7. Luckily for us, we get access to a special terminal for computer science students only, and it's on Windows 8.1. It may be considered worse than Windows 7 but at least there's no worry about support ending soon.
yo homie enterprise copies are fuckin' expensive so i wouldn't be surprised if they wait until last minute to upgrade, really

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:07 pm

NightKawata wrote:
HeroLinik wrote:
yo homie enterprise copies are fuckin' expensive so i wouldn't be surprised if they wait until last minute to upgrade, really
You know, you actually hit the nail on the head there. They're actually running Enterprise on both the public-access terminals and the computer science terminal.
On a completely different note, when I was about to leave school, Windows XP support ended, and all the computers were on XP. Fortunately, I heard from some of my mates in the years below that they brought in new computers and upgraded to Windows 8, but I haven't checked. Hopefully I'll probably do that in the future when I go look around the school again, but in the meantime, I still have an old laptop that has XP on it.
YouTube channel

NightKawata
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby NightKawata » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:18 pm

HeroLinik wrote:You know, you actually hit the nail on the head there. They're actually running Enterprise on both the public-access terminals and the computer science terminal.
On a completely different note, when I was about to leave school, Windows XP support ended, and all the computers were on XP. Fortunately, I heard from some of my mates in the years below that they brought in new computers and upgraded to Windows 8, but I haven't checked. Hopefully I'll probably do that in the future when I go look around the school again, but in the meantime, I still have an old laptop that has XP on it.
Up until about 8th grade, I believe all of our computers were Windows XP since the schools never wanted to purchase vista and by then the Enterprise shenanigans got a little more crazy at that time, so that was always a fun thing. A few odd computers had Vista in the "IT" "Department" if I remember correctly, as well. In 9th grade they all used 7 until the very end of time since, well, who the hell uses Windows 8? :p (Besides people with 2in1's or tablets, in which case Windows 8 shines the most)

At the same time, a few "new" Lenovo Ideapads came about in 12th grade with... AMD E1's. Bloody. Fucking. E1's. I mean, whew. I've nothing against AMD (in fact, Ryzen is badass), just, the absolute bottom of the barrel processors always make me want to just take out that sledgehammer and call it a night.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6834312826

I'm almost 100% certain THESE were the candidates.

Just gotta love school laptops and how uh, bad, they can end up getting.
At least the desktops in the library used i3's and had some relatively nice performance, so there's that. Granted, they were:

http://ark.intel.com/products/52206/Int ... o-3_10-GHz

I want to say they were these. Crazy how that's 5 generations old now, isn't it?

Return to “Sandbox”