Google's gonna remove annotations?!

Off-topic discussion.
onpon4
Swooper
Swooper

Re: YouTube is getting rid of the Annotations system!

Postby onpon4 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:11 pm

I'm going to have to argue that annotations have always been a bad thing. They depend on the official YouTube video player, which not everyone uses. They're non-standard. They aren't included in the video files. And their existence encourages sloppy practices.

I don't and never will see annotations, because I watch YouTube videos with the ViewTube greasemonkey script, not the official (proprietary) YouTube player. So anyone depending on me seeing an annotation is depending on something that will never happen. There are other such people, too.
you know, those things that keep increasing in power like every other electronic device and should be able to handle (random feature) at some point in the future?
This is a huge oversimplification. In fact, there is a limit to how powerful a CPU can be, and there's an even lower limit to how powerful a CPU can be without using huge amounts of power. Batteries do not improve over time; this is impossible. The only way to get a battery with a greater capacity, other than coming up with a whole new battery design that is more energy-dense than lithium-ion designs, is to make the battery physically bigger. Additionally,the more energy a processor uses, the more heat it is going to generate. So that means the only way to improve CPU performance in a cell phone (assuming you want more than a half hour battery life and don't want the thing covered in vents and fans, which would also make the thing physically very large) is to improve the efficiency of the CPU, both to reduce heat production and to reduce energy consumption.

I don't know how much this can be improved. But it would be a mistake to just assume that it will happen. We already essentially reached the ceiling for single core x86 performance around a decade ago, which is why multiprocessing is so important now. I know less about the phone market, but I do know that a lot of modern phones get warm in heavy use and require heatsinks, which suggests to me that we are approaching the limit for how powerful we can make ARM CPUs without turning them into functioning replacements for a stove top. Only time will tell, but regardless, depending on performance enhancements at the CPU level is irresponsible at this point.

NightKawata
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Metanet Hunter -1
Chat Username: NightKawata

Postby NightKawata » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:14 pm

I mean. Last year's YouTube Rewind. Nuff said in terms of what YouTube is trying to do.

It does bring question to why annotations were never added to mobile, as the cards were, and arguably, I find cards to be useless, too.
Annotations can sometimes fix or clear up things with post-production, but then pre and present production do allow you to make
changes after filming, so on one hand it's artificial quality management, but it's also rather silly in its core as well, especially,
when for better or worse, it's a classic YouTube feature.

...And yeah let's not go back to 2009 with the massive annotations that had to be turned off, or the literal zoo of 'em in
shitpost vids.

I'm sure they removed it for two reasons: Mobile, and casuals. Like it or not, those go hand in hand. Like I mentioned with the YouTube rewind,
YouTube tries to cater to the more casual audiences since those are the sheep money machines etc, and most casuals really don't want to look at a bunch of small annotations on their large-resolution mobile device, yadda yadda. You may like that, and unfortunately, you might not be YouTube's biggest source of revenue. Whoops, it's business, it's gray. I'm fully fine with them not supporting annotations on mobile, it's something while sad, it's understandable from one point of view; removing it from desktop is a bit of an odd decision, as well.

Like bossedit8 said, pushing towards the usage of the video editor is one way to patch up post-production things, or you know, make a comment go "lmao i fucked up"

Until they start absolutely shoving YouTube Red down my throat, I'll live. :p
Go play Metanet Hunter CD: http://store.steampowered.com/app/586570/
Go look at Metanet Hunter CD: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=15229

Code: Select all

>mario isn't canon, when you die he faces the screen

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit
Chat Username: Zeldamaster12

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:59 pm

I personally always disable annotations when I'm watching videos, so this doesn't affect me that much. I dunno why they are scrapping it completely rather than including annotations on mobile though. They're Google, I'm sure they could if they really want to.

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:57 am

I'm actually a bit annoyed at that, to be honest. Sure, annotations have been around for a long time, but the problem is that I only really use annotations to cover up mistakes in videos (as was shown in the most recent one I made). With annotations getting removed, you have to be extra vigilant to avoid making mistakes because then there'll be no way of getting around them after upload.
thehelmetguy1 wrote:YouTube:
Is glitchy as fuck
Has a terrible algorithm
Recommends milions of videos from a youtuber, even though the user only watched one video from this youtuber
You're right. Remember the onslaught of 1000 degree knife videos that took over YouTube at the end of last year? That happened because the guy who made them (MrGear) was exploiting this glitchy algorithm. Also, why the hell are they changing the layout to the point where you have to relearn everything? It may look clean, but now it's hard to see the exact amount of subscribers an uploader has from the video alone (it just shows 1.8K on mine instead of 1842) and everything just looks too big. Desktops aren't mobiles!
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

NightKawata
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Metanet Hunter -1
Chat Username: NightKawata

Postby NightKawata » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:20 am

HeroLinik wrote:I'm actually a bit annoyed at that, to be honest. Sure, annotations have been around for a long time, but the problem is that I only really use annotations to cover up mistakes in videos (as was shown in the most recent one I made). With annotations getting removed, you have to be extra vigilant to avoid making mistakes because then there'll be no way of getting around them after upload.
thehelmetguy1 wrote:YouTube:
Is glitchy as fuck
Has a terrible algorithm
Recommends milions of videos from a youtuber, even though the user only watched one video from this youtuber
You're right. Remember the onslaught of 1000 degree knife videos that took over YouTube at the end of last year? That happened because the guy who made them (MrGear) was exploiting this glitchy algorithm. Also, why the hell are they changing the layout to the point where you have to relearn everything? It may look clean, but now it's hard to see the exact amount of subscribers an uploader has from the video alone (it just shows 1.8K on mine instead of 1842) and everything just looks too big. Desktops aren't mobiles!
unfortunately, they are now to some degree with the advance of 2in1's and windows based tablets/surface lineups :p
irregardless of the matter, it is quite the obtuse move

not that the power user natively uses these, primarily the casual :p
Go play Metanet Hunter CD: http://store.steampowered.com/app/586570/
Go look at Metanet Hunter CD: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=15229

Code: Select all

>mario isn't canon, when you die he faces the screen

onpon4
Swooper
Swooper

Postby onpon4 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:32 am

I only really use annotations to cover up mistakes in videos
That doesn't work. Not everyone sees annotations at all, and even those who see them can easily turn them off. The only way to hide your mistakes is to delete the video.

If you just want to explain a correction after the fact, put it in the video description. Or put it in the comments. Or maybe both.

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:07 am

onpon4 wrote:
I only really use annotations to cover up mistakes in videos
That doesn't work. Not everyone sees annotations at all, and even those who see them can easily turn them off. The only way to hide your mistakes is to delete the video.

If you just want to explain a correction after the fact, put it in the video description. Or put it in the comments. Or maybe both.
Yeah, but the problem is that within around 30-40 minutes of upload my video views tend to hit the triple digits. Usually I don't realise that there's a mistake until someone points it out in the comments, at which point I acknowledge it and then cover it up with annotations. Taking the video down and then reuploading it just to fix a minor textual mistake is a huge waste of time. Also, you can't tell whether someone is going to bother to read the description or not, but usually people don't. And putting it in the comments and then pinning it could possibly work...but what if you have a pinned comment already? You can't just go unpinning someone else's comment just to make room for yours.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

onpon4
Swooper
Swooper

Postby onpon4 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:40 am

HeroLinik wrote:Taking the video down and then reuploading it just to fix a minor textual mistake is a huge waste of time.
Fixing a minor textual mistake is a waste of time, period. I mean, it's not like you're posting a résumé or something.

The only mistakes you should concern yourself with correcting are informational mistakes, and if such a mistake is so minor that it doesn't really matter if someone doesn't see it, then the description works just fine. On the other hand, if everyone must see the correction because it's so serious, then something as unreliable as an annotation is unacceptable. Annotations only have a place if you have misguided confidence that everyone is going to see them (misguided because that is untrue).
You can't just go unpinning someone else's comment just to make room for yours.
Er, why not? It's your video.

Mivixion
Grinder
Grinder
Chat Username: m1v1x10n

Postby Mivixion » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:22 pm

Doesn't feel like a big deal to be tbh. It was a somewhat useful feature but it's not like it's the end of the world and I honestly found most (not all) annotations annoying.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:47 pm

Mivixion wrote:Doesn't feel like a big deal to be tbh. It was a somewhat useful feature but it's not like it's the end of the world and I honestly found most (not all) annotations annoying.
Oh, then how the Hell am I going to edit Sm4sh RPG* videos with any of the annotations to display how much damage & how much health the fighter has?!?
*Sm4sh RPG is a "Work in Progress" YouTube series I'm planing on uploading to my channel. 8-)
(Mega Drive GFX Pack coming soon)
Mario RPG goals (62% of the goals completed)
My Pixiv
I'm autistic & have ADHD.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:53 pm

NintendoOtaku93 wrote:
Mivixion wrote:Doesn't feel like a big deal to be tbh. It was a somewhat useful feature but it's not like it's the end of the world and I honestly found most (not all) annotations annoying.
Oh, then how the Hell am I going to edit Sm4sh RPG* videos with any of the annotations to display how much damage & how much health the fighter has?!?
*Sm4sh RPG is a "Work in Progress" YouTube series I'm planing on uploading to my channel. 8-)
If your Youtube series you plan on doing relies on annotations or other things that are set to cease to exist, then you either have to cancel it or find another way of doing it. I think Youtube are trying to push everyone to keep up with time. And why would displaying health and damage rely on annotations? Also how does this series work?
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

glitch4
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby glitch4 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:41 am

NintendoOtaku93 wrote:
you have to use video editors then.

Reiuji Utsuho
Pokey
Pokey
Flair: Time to make myself disappear
Chat Username: Yuu-senpai#1659

Postby Reiuji Utsuho » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:34 am

I'm indifferent to this. Never particularly cared for annotations a whole lot anyway, but I do think it's nice they'll let videos that currently have them keep them after its removal. To me, it's not a huge issue especially because some people use annotations as a cheap way to do things that could just as easily be done with simple editing.

I also don't really understand why YouTube has time to worry about comparatively smaller things like this and not have the interest to fix/improve real problems that have been plaguing the site for years.

Hi! Please stay positive and keep yourself motivated. You can do many great things if you give it your effort. Please have a lovely day.
#1: Utsuho Reiuji  #2: Kagerou Imaizumi  #3: Fujiwara no Mokou  #4: Momiji Inubashiri  #5: Kasen Ibaraki

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:41 am

Reiuji Utsuho wrote:I'm indifferent to this. Never particularly cared for annotations a whole lot anyway, but I do think it's nice they'll let videos that currently have them keep them after its removal. To me, it's not a huge issue especially because some people use annotations as a cheap way to do things that could just as easily be done with simple editing.

I also don't really understand why YouTube has time to worry about comparatively smaller things like this and not have the interest to fix/improve real problems that have been plaguing the site for years.
Yeah, The annotation system should stay. I would rather have better channel organization or the old PM system they had back. I lost access to all of those Private conversations I had through that when they did away with it from an update.

ImageImageImage

Reiuji Utsuho
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Reiuji Utsuho » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:45 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Yeah, The annotation system should stay. I would rather have better channel organization or the old PM system they had back. I lost access to all of those Private conversations I had through that when they did away with it from an update.
I actually don't remember if they did away completely with PMs on there since I never really used them, but I wouldn't be surprised. There's quite a few features I think it's a mistake to not have though, definitely.

Hi! Please stay positive and keep yourself motivated. You can do many great things if you give it your effort. Please have a lovely day.
#1: Utsuho Reiuji  #2: Kagerou Imaizumi  #3: Fujiwara no Mokou  #4: Momiji Inubashiri  #5: Kasen Ibaraki

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:21 am

Reiuji Utsuho wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:Yeah, The annotation system should stay. I would rather have better channel organization or the old PM system they had back. I lost access to all of those Private conversations I had through that when they did away with it from an update.
I actually don't remember if they did away completely with PMs on there since I never really used them, but I wouldn't be surprised. There's quite a few features I think it's a mistake to not have though, definitely.
Still would be nice to re-read them.

ImageImageImage

Reiuji Utsuho
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Reiuji Utsuho » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:07 am

Oh well, my thoughts still stand. While I don't care for it, this really should be left alone or be improved upon. There are much bigger issues YouTube has that need to be handled and their odd disinterest in doing that work is perplexing to me.

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: All toasters toast toast
Current Project: Nothing
Chat Username: practical

Postby Rhosty » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:11 am

Well at least the old annotations that are made before May 2nd will be safe, but that still sucks a bit that people won't be able to make new ones after that.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:40 am

Reiuji Utsuho wrote:Oh well, my thoughts still stand. While I don't care for it, this really should be left alone or be improved upon. There are much bigger issues YouTube has that need to be handled and their odd disinterest in doing that work is perplexing to me.
I would say that there choice is also confusing to me as well.some people rely on anotations to make a table of contents so to speak. They could at least put a war I g message up instead of removing it

ImageImageImage

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:43 am

I agree with you! 8-)
(Mega Drive GFX Pack coming soon)
Mario RPG goals (62% of the goals completed)
My Pixiv
I'm autistic & have ADHD.

Return to “Sandbox”