Creative games are worse than the games we used to play?

Off-topic discussion.
Fuyu
Wart
Wart

Creative games are worse than the games we used to play?

Postby Fuyu » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:21 pm

First of all, this is something crushing to me, because everything here makes perfect sense, and honestly I can't understand how I passed it, really.

Have you ever thought about it this way? I truly didn't, and honestly find it quite true due to my passion with older games than newer ones with a few creative additions that I do find neat, but they just don't feel as fun or good as the previous ones.

Star
Bit
Bit

Re: Creative games are worse than the games we used to play?

Postby Star » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:07 am

PIKMIN 3 IS FUN.
Some of the new games were fun, Kirby Triple Deluxe was awesome. It was also hard.
3D World was fully creative.
They started to remix some old games like Ocarina of time and Four Swords.
Waiting for more.

And i don't really trust Game theroist. They make up fucking bullshit.
Like.

''Wiggler did nothing! Why does Mario kill him? Mario even attempts to stomp on him!''
Me: HE WAS TRYING TO SAVE THE FUCKING WIGGLER BY GETTING THE STAR BACK! HE WAS TRYING TO SAVE THE WORLD! THIS IS BULLSHIT!

Yeah. Seriously.
I have stop updating my project. Don't cry though. It's being updated here!

http://smbxuniverse.my-board.org/

SuperWingedYoshi
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby SuperWingedYoshi » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:28 am

It's wrong to say that all of us gamers love the older games more than the newer, often more creative, games. Of course old games are fun, but I'm not ONLY a retro guy. I play a lot of new games as well, and I really enjoy them, and some newer games are even better than the older ones. For example, Super Mario Bros. is only good nowadays for its nostalgia, its innovation it had back in the 80's, and possibly its difficulty. Modern Mario games - a good example is Super Mario 3D World - clearly beat it, not only in terms of creativity.
Same for the Worms series. Almost nobody plays the original game anymore; most people nowadays prefer Worms Armageddon, Worms Reloaded or the most recent one, Worms Clan Wars.

However, there are also some game series which support the theory. Take the Yoshi's Island series, for example. It's clear that most people prefer the original SNES game or the GBA remake to Yoshi's Island DS or Yoshi's New Island. Or the Age of Empires series. Many people still play Age of Empires 2, despite it having been released more than a decade ago. And the first part still has many lovers as well. Even Ensemble Studios noticed that and re-released the second part on Steam. The newest, third part isn't unpopular, though.

To sum it up, I'd say that the theorists do have a point, but it doesn't apply to every game series and it highly depends on what the producer of the game series does with the sequels. If the sequels are awesome, then people will prefer playing them. If the sequels are worse than the predecessors, then people will prefer sticking to the original.
My SMBX project: Yoshi's Paradise!

Projects I support:
Spoiler: show

Fuyu
Wart
Wart

Postby Fuyu » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:34 am

NeverEndingGamer wrote:And i don't really trust Game theroist. They make up fucking bullshit.
Like.

''Wiggler did nothing! Why does Mario kill him? Mario even attempts to stomp on him!''
Me: HE WAS TRYING TO SAVE THE FUCKING WIGGLER BY GETTING THE STAR BACK! HE WAS TRYING TO SAVE THE WORLD! THIS IS BULLSHIT!
I'm pretty sure Mario bothered Wiggler in order to get to his whereabouts, and so he was annoyed by his bad actions, to which Mario answered stomping on him. I quite find that episode shocking, though, I find each proof really fitting.

@smwforever45: I couldn't agree more with you, I do enjoy a lot of newer games, even though I'd prefer to stick with the older ones. And I know that not all the newer games that do not follow the previous criteria of their predecessors are bad. The thing is, we're part of the small percentage that likes those games, I believe. Of course, it isn't like it's the only theory I believe, there might be other theories regarding this same matter, so I don't want to close other possibilities.

Mable
Peach
Peach

Postby Mable » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:11 pm

Fun fact:

Game Theory said a lot of stuff which always ended up in Flamewars like the discussion about the Pyro. Mario being a communist.

Anyone who has common sense knows Game Theory is just joking in every vid but so many people end up flaming them.

Fuyu
Wart
Wart

Postby Fuyu » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:40 pm

Frozen wrote:Anyone who has common sense knows Game Theory is just joking in every vid but so many people end up flaming them.
Fun fact:

You say so like there's only one true, which is wrong.

Game Theory explains his thoughts with proofs and validates his own reasoning. And if it ends up on flaming and all that it's just because the people who watch his videos just can't accept it, and instead of believing what they want they proceed to do it.

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby silent_ » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:10 pm

The Game Theorist simply wants to cause chaotic drama on his YouTube page. I never trusted his remarks, and the "validated and proved" reasoning you were talking about Natsu is just made up.

Gamers aren't "killing" video games, and the newer the game probably the more funner it is. I never liked most of the older games, particularly with the overrated Super Mario World and Super Mario 64; Zelda games are downright dull, and Kirby games are the same thing over and over again despite the Kirby games for the Wii; they were innovative in their own personal aspects. Nowadays, the only thing that could satisfy me is Mario or Donkey Kong; the hard work put into Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze really paid off, and it's the best game I've ever experienced in my entire life.
previously known as Kep

Fuyu
Wart
Wart

Postby Fuyu » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:53 pm

If you guys want to believe it so be it, I'm gonna stick with it because I'd rather follow some random theory with valid proofs than just criticize him. Besides, that's not even the point here, what I wanna know is what you think about this theory, at least I can thank you both, smwforever45 and Kep for actually commenting about it.

Magician
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Magician » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:29 am

The point of the channel is that it's fun to speculate about this stuff. I've heard compelling things about games that I've found interesting without obnoxiously dismissing them as false nor automatically assuming them to be officially true. It's not trying to cause drama at all. If you're actually getting angry at their videos, you're not approaching them with the right attitude.

My favourite one is the speculation that Ikana's Stone Tower in Majora's Mask is actually Termina's version of the Tower of Babel, in a sense. Though that wasn't on the Game Theory channel unless they appropriated it or got permission from the original writer (or if it was by the same people... I have no idea who the Game Theorists are because I don't watch the channel).

Kep, you really ought to rethink "newer = funner", unless by new you mean titles that innovate rather than titles that have appeared chronologically closer to the present. I can agree with that, on some level.

Anyway it's all rather subjective. All people tolerate sameyness to some degree and appreciate innovation to another degree, and it varies with each person. Some people have different expectations on a per-franchise basis. It's really up to each person to determine what's disappointing about a game for themselves. For example I expect Zelda games to innovate in various combat/item/puzzle mechanics while working to bring back the core appeal of the open exploration and all of the secrets.

I don't think "creative" games sell as well because people like what's familiar and don't like taking chances on things that are different from what they know. It is by no means killing the gaming industry. It's just kind of how it's always been. I think/hope the Wii U will be a host for such games because it's established kind of a niche market.

SuperWingedYoshi
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby SuperWingedYoshi » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:20 am

Natsu wrote:The thing is, we're part of the small percentage that likes those games, I believe.
Small? I do think there are way more people playing the modern games (because, you know, we're not only talking about the Mario, Sonic or Pokémon games here, we're talking about every video game series, which includes very popular games like Dota 2, Team Fortress 2, League of Legends or Call of Duty) than people playing the older games, because not everyone still has these old video game consoles and not everyone uses emulators and not everyone uses the Virtual Console services...
Kep wrote:and the newer the game probably the more funner it is.
Not always, not always. Just read some discussions about Yoshi's New Island and you'll see the original is clearly preferred (and for a good reason).
particularly with the overrated Super Mario World and Super Mario 64
What? Of course these games can't keep up with today's games anymore, but that's because these are games from the 90's, where it wasn't possible yet to do something better! Games like that are legendary, and they were definitely fun back in those days and they still are fun in my opinion!
My SMBX project: Yoshi's Paradise!

Projects I support:
Spoiler: show

Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Murphmario » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:03 pm

There are actually some I don't agree on:

The Morphball is lame - No, just no...

Humans are Pokemon - They are not Pokemon because they can't be caught by Pokeballs. IMPOSSIBLE.

Mario is Mental - See above.

Also, I agree with everyone else in this thread about games.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Really tempted to just make a general graphics thread for all of my graphics instead of just making individual threads for each of them.

Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Postby Bomber57 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:14 pm

While they are entertaining to watch and he clearly spent the time into writing these theories, It is meant for entertainment.

Don't base your whole opinion off of this. When someone asks you for your justification and you say it was from Game Theory they are probably going to scoff at you.
Living explosives, prone to destroying themselves along with their enemies with their powerful "Self-Destruct." Bombs take the rage built up by being attacked and transform it into energy. This, in turn, makes them grow, sometimes to incredible sizes.

<Joey> you want a dickpic
<pixels> this forum has enough keys to solve SMW twenty times over

Fuyu
Wart
Wart

Postby Fuyu » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:00 pm

@Bomber57: If I'm ever asked about my sources I'll definitely know the one asking is looking for something he could actually trust, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to give him the answer he actually desires. Not just that, what I care about isn't who made the theory, but the proofs that we have.

I do recognize there are various games that are innovative and yet triumph on what could be called the videogaming hall of fame (?), but that doesn't mean older games aren't played that much. I still play old games, such as Mario Party for the Gameboy Advance, Mickey & The Castle of Illusions (the original, not the new crappy one), etc. Of course, there are still brand games that I play which shall remain nameless (I'm a bit ashamed of myself there're not much new games I actually play due to my computer low stats).

Yoshibrothers
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby Yoshibrothers » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:51 am

I never listen to what game theorists have to say. A game is good by its own standards, not on if it is on its original formula or not.
I've returned.

Mable
Peach
Peach

Postby Mable » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:38 pm

No Game Theroy Youtube account is serious they all do it for entertaiment and stuff its not like someone said this game is shit so you won't play cause someone said it. I already had it many people said to me this game is bad this is bad bla bla and when i played them by myself i liked them. Creative or not doesn't matter i mostly focus how the Storyline is based and the Gameplay.

icemario12
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby icemario12 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:48 pm

On topic: Really dunno. Maybe yes, maybe no. The newer games of nowadays are quite fun to play, but some old games are still great to go. Take the Legend of Zelda 1. I'd want to play over and over, because it's fun. BUT I also like a whole lot NSMB Wii. Super Castlevania IV and Super Metroid are of the 16-bit era, but they're masterpieces. Kirby's Adventure was cool too, and all those are old games. Think about it: those games were the cause of such gaming success in the '90s! I'd stick to older games, to tell the truth. I'm not making exception of the Wii U and 3DS games, but the originals are better. And that's that.

Off Topic: For me the best theory they came out with is that Link is DEAD in MM.
Another thing: Don't be angry people, cuz it's just a theory. A Game Theory!
Thanks for reading!

HEY, THIS GAME SERIES IS FUN.

You could even say that...
it's li- gets kicked in the shin

Return to “Sandbox”