Then vs Now

Off-topic discussion.
AirSeus
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Ok no
Current Project: You really think I'll finish one?
Chat Username: AirSeus

Then vs Now

Postby AirSeus » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:18 pm

Just a little thread I wanted to start.

Let's talk about something that actually interests me quite a bit. What were you doing when you first joined this forum and how were you like and compared to now, how much has changed?

I'll use myself as an example to describe what I mean by what I stated above;

When I first joined an SMBX server back in very late 2009, I was 9 years old and I did nothing but constantly shitpost a sonic GFX in every thread I could lay my eyes on, I was extremely ignorant, looked up to individuals like Valtteri and Knux a lot, absolutely despised Supermarioman because I thought he always abused his power (funny considering I was a toxic little mess) and got myself banned within a few weeks. Nowadays I've just finished my second year in University and I would like to think that I have matured a hell of a lot since then, I actually use grammar and it's literally impossible for me not to use grammar anymore, I find myself getting very irritated when I spot a message of mine doesn't use a capital at the start of a sentence, little shitty things like that but overall, I can actually take criticism on the chin, I don't shitpost on random GFX threads but I have become rather inactive compared to my much younger days of vomiting out boss rush after boss rush.

I'd love to hear about all of your journeys considering since this place has changed its userbase so much since I last came here. It would be a thrill to know where you lot came from and how you evolved while being on the forums!
I dunno, something inspirational is supposed to go here so here I go:

Realize the difference between criticism and hate.
Criticism is direct feedback about the level that helps and tells you what you could do better and/or what you could expand upon.
Hate is direct insults towards you/your level that tell you nothing other than how bad you are.

AKA: Don't cry at every responce you get, just ignore hate and respond to criticism.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Re: Then vs Now

Postby FireyPaperMario » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:42 pm

I'll tell ya my SMBX "Then vs. Now", because why not zoidberg?

I used to post many topics with the opening posts starting with "Hey Guys, NintendoOtaku93 here!" back in 2014-2016*, and very stubborn with other members! But now, I don't open my topics with that anymore! ^^"

*I think...
(Mega Drive GFX Pack coming soon)
Mario RPG goals (62% of the goals completed)
My Pixiv
I'm autistic & have ADHD.

computerfan0
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: Edosipe?
Current Project: Firing in spurts.
Chat Username: computerfan0

Postby computerfan0 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:42 pm

I haven't really improved. The main thing that has changed is the users I reply to. (Although I do remember Cedur and Core [at the time MyNameIsEric52] from when I joined)
(GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
computerfan0's Backloggery
computerfan0 on Reddit
computerfan0 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 21125827641 8:11 pm
quoting myself, why

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit
Chat Username: Zeldamaster12

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:11 pm

I was in my second year of high school when I joined Knuxforums in late 2013. Now I'm a college graduate with two degrees in Computer Science and Entertainment Technology. Feels like just yesterday I graduated high school, life is going by so fast man.

I've mostly moved on from level making as a whole but I'll always remember my time here. There were ups and downs but this community will always have a special place in my heart. I'll never forget all the fun times I had and all the cool people I got to interact with while playing Mafia, those were the days.

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy

Postby zioy » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:56 pm

Went from being a super annoying and immature kid to being a mildly annoying and immature adult :)

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:57 am

zioy wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:56 pm
Went from being a super annoying and immature kid to being a mildly annoying and immature adult :)

This basically applies for my childhood as well
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Fuyu
Wart
Wart
Current Project: Super Mario Fantasy
Chat Username: take a guess

Postby Fuyu » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:52 pm

Oh boy, I really do not want to remember those times. Some will remember my very first username when I joined this community for the first time. I'm not talking about this forum by the way, I joined way waaaaaay back in NSMBX, I think it was around 2011. To those that don't remember my username or just weren't there back then, it was MASTERKYU9. The cheesiest, most otaku thing I have ever lied eyes upon ever, and my most hated username ever. Worst yet my avatar was essentially a red number nine (I used to like red more than blue, thankfully not anymore). I don't even know how I got to be a moderator back then, I was an immature piece of shit.

Really, back then I didn't even know how to talk in English, I just put Google Translator and hoped for the best. After some time I got comfortable enough with my own English to never open it up unless it was a word I didn't know. I didn't begin to improve until we moved to SMBX:R where I kept my moderator status. I actually had the opportunity to hang out with some people that made me realize the world was much bigger than what the bubble I called "world" was. I remember there was this one guy who was kind of blind and went on a flamewar of sorts with anybody and calling everyone an annoying kid or something. After we talked he mellowed up a bit and started having frequent conversations.

Am I mature now? I don't know, I don't think I can even describe what being mature is. I can say for certain I like being where I am now a heck of a lot more than where I used to be at. Here's hoping to improving in the future.

AirSeus
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Ok no
Current Project: You really think I'll finish one?
Chat Username: AirSeus

Postby AirSeus » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:13 am

Zeldamaster12 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:11 pm
I was in my second year of high school when I joined Knuxforums in late 2013. Now I'm a college graduate with two degrees in Computer Science and Entertainment Technology. Feels like just yesterday I graduated high school, life is going by so fast man.

I've mostly moved on from level making as a whole but I'll always remember my time here. There were ups and downs but this community will always have a special place in my heart. I'll never forget all the fun times I had and all the cool people I got to interact with while playing Mafia, those were the days.
Man, I haven't seen you in a while, nice to see that you have gotten yourself in a really nice position! The old days were really something special, sometimes I wish I could relive them even though I was a little twerp myself. But hey! This place has grown really nicely. Most of us thought it would have been gone by now.
I dunno, something inspirational is supposed to go here so here I go:

Realize the difference between criticism and hate.
Criticism is direct feedback about the level that helps and tells you what you could do better and/or what you could expand upon.
Hate is direct insults towards you/your level that tell you nothing other than how bad you are.

AKA: Don't cry at every responce you get, just ignore hate and respond to criticism.

Return to “Sandbox”