Windows 10

Off-topic discussion.
moemoe02
Rex
Rex

Windows 10

Postby moemoe02 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:12 pm

I have just recently heard that Microsoft is making a new Windows called "Windows 10". and I just don't even get why it's titled to be the tenth Windows OS, the previous version of Windows was 8.1 and just making it look like Microsoft does not even know how to count. The number after 8 is 9, why would Microsoft even skip count the OS to 10. And I also saw images of the new Windows OS and Microsoft is bringing back the start menu from previous versions before Windows 8, and I'm so glad that Microsoft bought that feature back in the new OS, I never liked having the start menu becoming a start screen in 8. I'm not even lying about the new OS Microsoft announced, google Windows 10 and you'll see that it's true that Microsoft is making it and bring back the start menu.
PLEASE READ THIS:
Spoiler: show
1. I only let board administrators lock my topics, if you ask me if you wanna lock a topic made by me, PLEASE ASK
2. NO E-MAILING, only private message me
<bossedit8> WHAT IS WITH THESE DONUTS SERIOUSLY?

Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Re: Windows 10

Postby Pseudo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:51 pm

I've heard that the bizarre naming has like two reasons behind it:
• It's supposed to be a "big step" for Windows in terms of features or something. I think this reason is full bullshit.
• Apparently the OS would run into low-level problems if it was called "Windows 9" thanks to the previous Windows 95 and 98. You'd think that they could've found some way around this but apparently not.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit
Chat Username: Zeldamaster12

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Windows 8 to Windows 10.

Seems pretty legit to me.

Vinyl Scratch
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Flair: The God Emperor of SMBXkind
Current Project: People will only care about certain facts just as long as they backup their own beliefs.
Chat Username: Hello#3856

Postby Vinyl Scratch » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:09 pm

Still better than Mac
Rest In Peace Privana.
Ad hominem.
Spoiler: show
Mivixion wrote:We don't cater to the minority.

RegisteredUsername wrote:Well with that shitty attitude of yours, I don't know how you are still on this Forums.

And with that long paragraph of shit, why aren't you classed as the "SMBX Community's bullshiter"?
Snowburger wrote:Also,yeah Vinyl,I must have serious brain damage for not liking something you like XD
DarkMatt wrote:You were off being a shitposter so I didn't bother.
AeroMatter wrote:4/17/2015 - The day an /a/ meme caused conflict in SMBX.
Joey wrote:In the future there will be an official version of SMBX that contains LunaLua, but it's not going to come right now. I promise that it'll happen, though.

<AeroMatter> vinyl tbch cause we need more people like you
<Vinyl> NEET Shitposters?
<AeroMatter> yes

:^)

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy

Postby zioy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:10 pm

Guys, does it really matter what they call it? IMO it looks amazing, and I agree with not naming it Windows 9.

Microsoft doesn't have to name everything in order by number.

EXAMPLES:
Windows '95
Windows '98
Windows XP
Windows Vista

See? I think the number 9 just feels unprofessional idk.

Pseudo
Peach
Peach
Current Project: ???

Postby Pseudo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:12 pm

Well yeah but it's a number either way. If they're going to give the OS version a number that approximately fits in with the numbering scheme of the past few versions, it should be the number that follows the last.
its ya girl pseudo and im back on a provisional basis

"sterydy Behemoth expiable novae iconically night owl ticklish turbocharger bactrian riveting . Solidus quits frothy managua scrimper shadowy enthusiastically rearrangement curviness matronliness pinyin piroshki gradual hysterically locker room versed . Horrendous unicorn transnational parka lasso very forbiddingly laborsaving cochabamba hair-raising floozy philter transnational ."
- a spam account, 2016

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zioy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:13 pm

Pseudo-dino wrote:Well yeah but it's a number either way. If they're going to give the OS version a number that approximately fits in with the numbering scheme of the past few versions, it should be the number that follows the last.
So? 10 is a larger number than 8, and to be totally honest the name of an OS doesn't matter.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:38 pm

Windows '95 and Windows '98 were representing years. Windows 9 doesn't even sound near like those two, it's simply a version higher than Windows 8.

Magna
Banned
Current Project: Soon to be announced! (When PGE releases an engine that is)

Postby Magna » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:40 pm

Vinyl Scratch wrote:Still better than Mac
At least you don't have one. I'm sad to say I'm a Mac peasant. :(
Join this great chill forum here: http://forums.krazynet.net

XerX
Birdo
Birdo

Postby XerX » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:15 pm

They didn't go with Windows 9 for various reasons. One reason being that some programs look at Windows 9 and see Windows 95, so there would be conflict in some sort of fashion. (This is what I have heard). Also, Windows 10 sounds a lot better anyways :>

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:21 pm

But it's literally skipping a number, which is just weird.

I can understand what you're saying though. If Google searching for Windows '95 or something, you'd get a lot more results for Windows 9. But who uses Windows '95/98 nowadays?

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zioy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:39 pm

XerX wrote:They didn't go with Windows 9 for various reasons. One reason being that some programs look at Windows 9 and see Windows 95, so there would be conflict in some sort of fashion. (This is what I have heard). Also, Windows 10 sounds a lot better anyways :>
My opinions essentially

XerX
Birdo
Birdo

Postby XerX » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:56 pm

Zeldamaster12 wrote:But it's literally skipping a number, which is just weird.

I can understand what you're saying though. If Google searching for Windows '95 or something, you'd get a lot more results for Windows 9. But who uses Windows '95/98 nowadays?
That's not the full problem (and thats backwards on how they were thinking). From what I remember, and example they used is Java. Java reads "Windows 9" as "Windows 95/98", hence problems.

FallingSnow
Ninji
Ninji

Postby FallingSnow » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:35 am

It's not a Windows problem. It's a program problem.
They're trying to avoid all of the problems that they experienced throughout development with various programs because of the way they treated the name of the operating system. If anything, naming it 10 makes life easier for a ton of people.

MistakesWereMade
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby MistakesWereMade » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:49 am

Hello kids! My name is bill gates, i shall teach you:

HOW TO COUNT TO 10

1, 2, 3, NT3, 95, NT4, 96, 97, 98, 2000, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10

Ontopic: yeah, i agree with snow, naming it 10 is just a lot easier, who cares about the number continuity at this point

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:13 am

Pseudo-dino wrote:• It's supposed to be a "big step" for Windows in terms of features or something. I think this reason is full bullshit.
But they said literally the same damn exact thing about Winderps 8 and, whoops, guess it turned out to be quite shit, didn't it? I can only imagine how this one will turn out.

Why do they have to name it Windows 10?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Why can't they name it like, Windows Galaxy, or something cool, why Windows 10?

The only way they can make a "big step" in features is if they either revisit and modernize XP or if they just copy Windows 7 and smack down zero new features. They should make Windows 7+ or Windows XP Elite (Windows XPE). Windows 8.1 was released not too long ago and they're already thinking of upgrading to a new OS? To me it seems like a cashgrab.

Until Microsoft gets their shit together I'm sticking with XP and 7.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:01 pm

I just hope they add better 32-bit OS support, because compatibility mode is the most useless object ever and some people, such as me, like to play games that only work on 32-bit OS. I mean seriously, Microsoft? You add a feature that's supposed to ensure backwards compatibility, yet it doesn't do jack shit except mess up some parts of the program 99% of the time.

XerX
Birdo
Birdo

Postby XerX » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:22 pm

8bitmushroom wrote:
Pseudo-dino wrote:• It's supposed to be a "big step" for Windows in terms of features or something. I think this reason is full bullshit.
But they said literally the same damn exact thing about Winderps 8 and, whoops, guess it turned out to be quite shit, didn't it? I can only imagine how this one will turn out.

Why do they have to name it Windows 10?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Why can't they name it like, Windows Galaxy, or something cool, why Windows 10?

The only way they can make a "big step" in features is if they either revisit and modernize XP or if they just copy Windows 7 and smack down zero new features. They should make Windows 7+ or Windows XP Elite (Windows XPE). Windows 8.1 was released not too long ago and they're already thinking of upgrading to a new OS? To me it seems like a cashgrab.

Until Microsoft gets their shit together I'm sticking with XP and 7.
Another reason it's called Windows 10 is because they can also call it Windows X.

To compete with Mac OS X (Mac OS 10)

FallingSnow
Ninji
Ninji

Postby FallingSnow » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:34 pm

I think that's just a coincidence.

XerX
Birdo
Birdo

Postby XerX » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:11 pm

FallingSnow wrote:I think that's just a coincidence.
It may be.

Return to “Sandbox”